Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Leprechaun Chase - 2017 Edition


How do I celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Well, myself, being of Norwegian and German descent, I choose to pose as an Irish Lass for the day. And, in recent years, being a running Lass, I have run in the Leprechaun Chase.


#gogreenorgohome  #photobombed
Here I am in 2014 (recap), inaugurating the tutu....
2014...my first Chase

In 2015, the Chase (recap) coincided with my Pi Day birthday, making for a festive day!

It's not everyday you get serenaded on your birthday!

In 2016, the Chase (recap) was threatened by rain, but it held off until we were all past the finish line


The Leprechaun Chase, a 10K extravaganza, has a venue in Des Moines, IA (which is the one I have done), and also in Omaha, NE (usually held the weekend prior). It's a rather unique format where the Lasses (the gals) get a 5-1/2-minute head start before the Lads (the guys) are allowed to cross the start line. The runner who crosses the finish line first claims a free green beer for all of his (or her) comrades. This was the fifth year of the Chase, and the score was dead-even...but there would not be a tie-breaker happening, thanks to Momma N....

Although there wasn't any snow, there were cold temps (like, sub-freezing temps!) and ice on several sections of the course. The race officials made a command decision on race morning...they decided to shorten the course to a 5K (making it more of an out-and-back route) as opposed to the traditional loop (that would have taken us along the iced-over trails around a lake). Not ideal, but doable.

Also, in light of the shortened course, they decided to award every racer with a green beer, and simply have the Lads and Lasses all start together. 

The race didn't start until 10:00, giving us plenty of time to make the hour-long trek to Des Moines. The hubby and I drove up, and my friend, Barb came along with us. We met up with another friend, Chuck, as we were parking the car. 

And, there was a slew of local peeps we were also hoping to find (yes, this race is THAT much fun...we're all willing to drive an hour to run it!).

(Back row): Pat (the hubby), Chuck, Eugene, (Front row): Sherry, myself, Barb
Although I do my fair share of races, I don't consider myself a competitive racer. Especially when it comes to short courses, like a 5K, I run them mainly for fun. I can try to shoot for a PR, but I'm simply not fast enough to expect any awards for my efforts....and that's all fine and dandy. I'm more of an endurance runner anyways. So, to hear the course was a 5K instead of a 10K threw me for a bit of a loop. 

The first mile was a crazy mix of all things green. It was strange seeing all the Lads running with us at the start line....usually, it's not until the first mile marker that we see the fast ones making their way through the crowd of Lasses as they seek out the front of the pack.  

I could tell I was clipping along, but I didn't realize just how fast until I heard my Garmin beep at the mile mark...and it showed an 8:06 pace. Whoa. That's crazy fast for me! I knew immediately the next two miles had the potential for being unpleasant for starting out so fast.(SPOILER ALERT: I was correct in that prediction) 

There was a 1/4 mile (or so) out-and-back segment that began just before the 1-mile mark and ended shortly after it, taking us back out onto MLK Parkway. Oh, did it feel cold! The air was damp and the streets were wet and slushy in places.

I was able to ease up my pace in the second mile, more by necessity than by choice. The main turn-around was just before the 2-mile mark. And, it was just after we made that turn when I could feel the wind in my face. Thankfully, it wasn't a fierce wind, but it definitely was a cold one.

That final mile into the wind was tough. Although my breathing had finally evened out, my legs were feeling pretty fatigued. I made it to the finish line in 26:31 (official chip time).

 Definitely not a PR,but surprisingly satisfactory considering I was not prepared to run a 5K when I showed up that morning. My splits tell the story of progressively slower miles...8:06, 8:40, 8:46. My stats showed I finished 8th (out of 37) in my age group, 134th (out of 620) for Lasses, and 341st (out of 981) over all. I'm good with that.

Shortly after finishing, our group was reunited...as well as a few more local runner friends.


Final thoughts? Even with the shortened course, this event is top-notch. It's a fun format, having the Lads "chase" the Lasses, and the majority of the participants are dressed in green. Although I really missed not being out on the usual course (around the lake), it was a fun twist doing the out-and-backs and seeing all the other runners. 

The registration is very reasonable ($35, I think). An incentive for early bird registering (which was back in December) is a bonus upgrade to a zip-up hoodie (it's a different incentive every year). Personally, I'm SO done with race shirts; I LOVED  having the option for something different. And, isn't it adorable?

 The Leprechaun Chase is (yet) another event that keeps drawing me back every year. Also, it benefits the Des Moines Animal Rescue League....they presented the ARL a check for $4,100 this year! It's not only a great race, but it supports a great cause.

How about you? Do you have  St. Patrick's event you've done before? Have you done it more than once? How would you feel about a 10K race being shortened to a 5K? 




I'm linking this with the lovely Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run. We're talking all things St. Patrick's.


Also, I'm linking with Suzie and Rachel and Debbie and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner





 
And with Nicole and Annmarie and Jen for the Wild Wednesday Workout

Add caption

27 comments:

  1. Although i've read about it from others, i've never had a race course cut short. Glad you had fun but a bummer that you had to drive an hour to run a 5K. I also like that you got a jacket instead of a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have run several races (recently, actually LOL) where the course was short (but we had no heads-up about it). This one, they sent emails and had Facebook notices, etc. about it (I just hadn't seen any of those until after the fact), and they announced it when we arrived. But, the jacket? I LOVE it ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a great race (except going out to fast -- don't you hate that moment when you know you're going to pay for that fast first mile?).

    I think we're all over race tees, at least people who have been racing even a few years. A hoodie would be divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...as soon as I saw my 1-mile split, I almost face-palmed myself. I knew it wouldn't be long before my entire body would crash LOL

      Delete
  3. Wait... is it your birthday?! Pi day... if I read that correctly, happy birthday! And if I didn't, 😳

    Great job on your race. Those are killer splits for not being a 5K runner. And the hoodie is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I don't mind 5K's, but they are NOT my favorite distance because I'm not a sprinter. There was a time when 3 miles was a challenge to run....but now, my priorities have shifted...

      Delete
  4. I run a 4 miler and 5 miler almost every year - they are always fun.

    Congrats on your 5k. It seems fast in my book. Yes, I always go out too fast!!!!! Can't stop myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It annoys me that my "pace perception" is so whacked....it really didn't seem like I was going that fast....

      Delete
  5. You are definitely the most festive lass in the land! This race looks like a ton of fun. Way to run strong. Cannot believe it's been a whole year already since you wore those awesome thigh socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I believe in dressing for the occasion! I can wear my "boring" (??) regular running gear for other stuff LOL

      Delete
  6. The option to upgrade is awesome! I love the hoodie. and you had a great outfit as well. Congrats on a great 5k time also. I am mostly so over race tees, but the half marathon I did this weekend always has a great long sleeve tech. I do love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, we got 1/4 zip jackets for the early bird promo ;-)

      Delete
  7. Going out too fast on the first mile is my MO--I need to dial it in for our 10 miler on Sat! Nice job finishing under 27 minutes. I love that hoody. I got a hoodie from Get Lucky a few years ago and it was so tacky! Goodwill, here it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday and congrats on your speedy time especially for a race distance you weren't expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun race! I ran a skirt-chaser race quite a few years ago and it had a similar component of ladies starting before the guys. AND they had back bibs to indicate if you were single... so a guy could hit on you if you were open to that! Lots of fun! Glad your green race went well too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a great birthday!! I love your entire outfit for the race! I always find it fun when you can dress up for a themed race :)

    I like that the race made the decision to shorten the course for safety reasons, but I can totally understand that being a little hard to adjust to considering you were expecting a 10K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fun race! I love when there is an option other than a t-shirt. That hoodie looks great! Not sure how I would feel about a course being shortened like that, I think it would be kind of frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love a later race time start! The early races just add to my stress level. You do have the cutest race outfits. Looks like a fun yearly tradition

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job!!! LOVING your vest- I was looking for a color like that but couldn't find one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As cold as it looked it would not have bothered me to shorten the course! Looks like a super fun race, I love how the lasses usually get a head start, cute idea! and yes, the hoodie is a nice option too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh a St. Patrick's Day race looks so much fun! I am Irish but have only run one St. Patrick's Day race. We always have something going on that weekend. Pageant Friday and soccer tournament this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the hoodie swag! I did a race last year that gave a hoodie as part of registration and it was such a fun change from a t-shirt. I can't wait until the weather warms up though - these cold temps are killin me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the concept of this race. So fun! Too bad Mother Nature had other plans this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! And I love your hoodie! What a nice option!

    We have a St Paddy's day 5K/10K here. It takes place in a historic cemetery and there's tons of green and costumes and free beer at the finish. I am opting out this year because of the weather and the fact that I am struggling with the time change and don't feel like waking up at 5AM. Although I may change my mind LOL! I feel like I'm missing out if I don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a bummer to have the course shortened, but congrats on running a great race under tough conditions! And I love the hoodie. I wish that more races offered more options than just shirts. I have more than enough at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute hoodie! Around here, courses tend to get shortened because of heat, not cold LOL. Looks like you had a fun time though. Did you drink your green beer???

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a cool race! And aw, I remember your recap from last year :) Congrats on your finish, you are always so modest! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete