Sunday, May 27, 2018

Riding out the storm

I seem to be referencing the sea (and subsequent weather) a lot lately.

It's not that the weather itself has been bad, but my life has been rather "stormy" in all the busy-ness of recent months. This past week was no exception, but there were some moments of smooth sailing...


Monday morning, there was rain coming down. Even though the temps have been feeling summer-like, I'm still not willing to voluntarily head out for an early morning run in the rain (#sorrynotsorry). Instead, I opted for some arm and shoulder work in the dry confines of my house.
Alas, good things come to those who wait. Later that afternoon, the clouds remained, but the rain stopped. I was able to get out for two miles in the damp air. Another #nevermissaMonday run done.
Tuesday was another warm morning, As per usual, Tuesdays are a day of active rest/recovery. I got out for an early morning walk, and also walked a couple more times that afternoon and evening.

Wednesday was another #5at5 morning (five miles at 05:00), and it was a muggy one. Ugh. I love the warm weather, but the humidity this week was a bit much, even for me. Let me just say there's a reason I prefer a tank top instead of short sleeves...I totally felt claustrophobic and miserable.
Thursday morning = day off from work = speed work! I  have been doing some form of speed work on Thursday mornings, so I tried downhill sprints this week. Holy Quads, Batman! I don't know what was harder...the 10 downhill sprints or the 10 uphill "recovery" jogs (two total cumulative miles). I don't have any specific downhill events coming up, but have heard downhill sprints are a great variation on speed work. We shall see if I notice any benefits or improvement with my finish times. Stay tuned.
Friday was another warm day, another active recovery day, and another day full of busy-ness. I'm a big advocate for recovery runs, but on this particular Friday there was a major recovery walk on my agenda. Those downhill sprints definitely came back to bite my quads! Thankfully, I had the day off from work (more graduation party prepping), and my legs felt much better after walking a couple miles.
Saturday was a long day. With our graduation open house happening at 1:00, there still was a great deal of last-minute stuff to finish. I got out for a walk (right after waking) and then it was nonstop action. Numerous trips back and forth to the garage (which was the site for our party), climbing (on ladders), stretching (as I hung the last of the streamers, decorations, and 14-years of dance recital costumes). Somehow, I had the foresight to do my nails before my walk, so the polish had time to dry and set and I didn't have to make any extra time for that necessary task. Priorities, right?
Sunday...how about some miles at the break of dawn (or soon thereafter)? I met up with Barb for approximately four miles, and YIKES, it was steamy! The temp said 72F, but the heat index definitely was much higher. Oh well, it's looking like we're gonna have very similar conditions next weekend for my race...so, bring it, Momma N!
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, shoes and outdoor

That's the latest in my little world of fitness. Total (running) mileage was about 13 miles this past week, but there were numerous miles walked and some strength work thrown in. All is well.

In case you missed them, here's my posts from last week (again, only two, due to my graduation stuff):
MAYDAY! Runfessing the latest

In other news:
Did you catch my #FridayFashioinFlair post on Instagram (@runningonthefly)? Here was my dilemma...a cute sundress lost a few inches (actually several LOL) in length via the wash. What's a gal to do? I turned it into a cute summer top (by way of a hair tie). Sure, I could have taken the time to actually cut and hem it...but who has time for that (especially with a graduation party in the works)? The hair tie took all of five seconds to fix my problem. Have you ever used a similar fashion hack with a too-short dress?

As referenced, the past couple weeks have been all about graduation prep work. Our youngest graduated high school Sunday afternoon. We hosted her open house Saturday afternoon, and the school's Honors Night was that evening. The Pennsylvania daughter made it home. Our son, taking summer classes at his college (an hour away), was also home for the weekend. Having all three kiddos under the same roof is always a treat.
Image may contain: Kaylynn Hatting, Liliann Hatting and Ashton Hatting, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

And, finally, a huge salute to all the service men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. As the wife of a retired Lt. Col (Air Force/Air National Guard), I have seen first-hand what kind of commitment these military personnel have to our country and our livelihood.

So, that's my week. After so much work and nonstop action, it's gonna feel pretty dull with no big events on my immediate roster. Somehow, I think I'll manage.

How was your week? Any plans for the long weekend? Have any of you had your youngest child graduate? Has summer (and its extreme temps) arrived in your area?

I'm linking up with Holly and Wendy for the Weekly Wrap. This weekly check-in is such a great place to connect with fellow fitness-minded peeps. Please join us!



40 comments:

  1. Sounds like a whirlwind of a week. Downhill running is definitely tough on the body! Yep our youngest has just graduated. We’ll be empty nesters in August, although he isn’t here much already. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be weird with no kids in the house come August...at least we'll have Max to keep us entertained ;-)

      Delete
  2. Where is your youngest going next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wants to study Forensics...starting at a community college then transferring to a university to finish out after that.

      Delete
  3. Congrats again on your daughter's graduation. Hope your party was a blast. We are right behind you with our party next Sunday. Our babies are all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a weird realization for the "babies" to be all done with high school?

      Delete
  4. We too had graduation today. They had prom on Friday. It's been a whirlwind weekend! I'm glad I have tomorrow off just to recoup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a good idea you had to re-purpose your too short dress. I've had some of those in between tops (a sweater dress comes to mind) that i would wear with leggings. In my mind I thought it was a "long" sweater but I wonder if anyone else thought it was a too "short" of a dress????

    Congrats to your daughter. I'd love to see the garage all decorated. Did you have pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bunch of grad party pics on Facebook....aren't we FB friends? I'll have to look for you ;-)

      Delete
  6. Great job fitting in all those runs in a busy week! Congrats to your daughter, how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my runs were nothing spectacular, but I did what I was able to. Thankfully, my body thrives on moderate (to low) mileage ;-)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the graduation - and all your hard work prepping for it! Seriously, I don't think I put that much work into all of my own graduations combined.

    We went camping last night, but have no plans for the rest of the weekend. Extra sleep, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graduation parties are much different these days than when I graduated...most have party themes, lots of decorations, novelties (like our photo booth), and "real food" (not just cake and mixed nuts LOL).

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your daughter graduating! It seems many of us were hit with the heat and humidity this week. Oh well, we have to adjust at some point, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, summer will happen whether we want it or not. I just heard that it was 96F on Saturday...a new record temp!

      Delete
  9. Congrats to your daughter! Seeing the youngest one graduate has to be bittersweet. I've yet to have my oldest finish high school. I'll probably need a walker by the time our youngest finishes college. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really bittersweet...I don't think my mind has completely grasped the reality of it...

      Delete
  10. Our weather had been all over the place too! Congrats on your daughter's graduation! I struggled with an empty nest at first, but then I got used to it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it won't be completely empty for awhile...she won't have classes on Fridays so she's planning (as of right now) to come home for most weekends

      Delete
  11. Congrats to your daughter! My brother just graduated last weekend. He was the youngest of the three of us. My other brother is getting married this year...its a family joke that they are trying to outdo each other in terms of major life events in the same year :-P

    I'm not a fan of running in the rain either...occasionally its ok but I prefer non rainy runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the rain if it's a hot summer day (and I'm already outside and sweaty when it happens). I seldom (if ever) will head out and run in it by choice.

      Delete
  12. Congrats to your daughter on her graduation! I know it's a bittersweet feeling when your youngest finishes high school.

    Downhill running is great, especially for someone who is preparing for a downhill race. It is great for improving form and stride, and adapts those muscles (they won't hurt as much next time :-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been doing some hill sprints this week! I'm afraid I might break my neck trying to do downhill sprints! Looks like you had an awsome week training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go full-on all-out "fast" on those downhills...I'm not especially fast, but I was paranoid about losing control and face-planting.

      Delete
  14. Glad you made it through! My youngest graduates next month from HS - it’s such a bittersweet time! Hills are a killer but I am slowly starting to like them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't mind hills...I prefer them over track workouts.

      Delete
  15. For our long weekend we went hiking with the family and are having a bbq! I hope you have a great weekend Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A family hike sounds like a great adventure! (so does the BBQ) ;-)

      Delete
  16. Busy week for you. Congrats on fitting it all in. And congrats to your daughter. We too are empty nesters.

    We had plans to go boating. Weather was not ideal but it’s just the beginning of summer. Had a great run today. So nice to have a day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have an entire day with nothing on my roster...

      Delete
  17. Congratulations to your daughter! What a big day!

    I totally understand how those busy weeks go! We have plenty of them here. Way to go on using the hair tie. My legs are so long and I'm so tall, that I usually don't even try to buy shorter dresses. One time in the wash renders them fairly unwearable. Maxis are my go-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bulk of my dresses/skirts are short...but a few of them get transitioned to "shirts" if they shrink in the wash LOL

      Delete
  18. Congrats again on your daughter's graduation I can only imagine how busy you have been the last weeks (months?)! It's good that you still are making time for yourself for what is important to you. And I say, yes, getting the nails done and drying "on the fly" is important!

    Our "memorial day" type of holiday is Liberation Day (may 5th) in the Netherlands. Same principle though. We see a lot of vets come through here as that was the day the Netherlands was liberated from the Germans at the end of WWII. Here especially the vets come (from Canada, UK and Poland) because it was in my town where the fighting at "The Bridge Too Far" happened. So the focus IS on WWII but we ALWAYS take the time to recognize and reflect on ALL servicemen and servicewomen who made sacrifices for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past two months have been a whirlwind...I can't decide if that's good because I have have not had a chance to dwell of the reality of everything or if it's bad (for the same reason) LOL

      Delete
  19. What a busy week! Congrats to your daughter. My youngest just finished is junior year at college. It goes fast. Great idea with the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since our oldest was an 8th grader, and the middle kid was a 5th grader (and we FINALLY had two kids in the same school), it has been fast-forward through everything.

      Delete
  20. It sounds like you had a wonderfully busy weekend! Congrats to your daughter! And yes, my youngest has graduated... from college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our oldest is done with college (two years ago), the middle is probably gonna graduate a semester late (Dec. '19), and now the youngest is just beginning the college adventure. ((sigh)) It seems like just last year they were all scattered in three different schools in town and needed me to drive them everywhere...

      Delete