Sunday, March 24, 2019

Breaking Into Spring


Talk about a serious break, and just when I really needed one.

The cold weather broke, our Spring Break commenced, and I was (finally) able to break away from the treadmill!


Anyways, first things first

Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I am so excited to host this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner).If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party.The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open  Monday(noon). Please share your weekly fitness endeavors, training
highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well.


So, here's what went down this past week...
Never Miss A Monday

The forecast promised warmer temps in the
afternoon, so I just did a quick 1-mile morning walk with Max (our dog). After
work, I headed outdoors (ahhhhh!) and decided to do a 3-mile Fartlek
run. I don't think I've done one of those since last fall, when I was
training for my marathon (Cannonball Marathon, October 2018). I
alternated between 3-4 city blocks at a moderate pace (effort level
around 5-6) and 2-3 blocks at a tempo-like pace (effort level 8-9). Wow.
Did those three miles feel great!
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes, tree and outdoor
Trick-play Tuesday

With our upcoming trip, I wanted to get in a strength session, and Tuesday was really the only day it would work. In anticipation of a potential DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) episode, I purposely did my workout in the evening...ideally allowing for a Wednesday morning run without incident. I did an all-body strength workout, involving numerous squats, lunges, push-ups, 1-minute wall sits, various arm/shoulder moves and some stair work. And I slept quite soundly that night.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shorts
A Wonderful Wednesday #5at5

After a several month sabbatical, I resurrected the #5at5 (five miles at 05:00), albeit it solo (my friend, Barb, is still recovering from knee surgery). Granted, there have been a few indoor early morning 5-mile runs in recent months, but they have been inside, on the treadmill (ugh!). Getting back outside felt amazing! The spring-like temps were near perfect. The streets were all mine. My legs felt invincible. It's pretty incredible how those five miles, outside, felt so much easier than the four miles I've done with Milly in the past couple weeks. Side-note, as predicted, the DOMS were a no-show until later Wednesday morning. Score!
Low-key Thursday

The hubby and I boarded a jet plane and arrived in Tampa Wednesday evening. As mentioned, the DOMS showed up around noon on Wednesday, and they were still taunting me most of Thursday. My hammies and quads were on fire like never before. All I had on tap was some walking in the Florida sunshine, so all was well.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, tree, sky, outdoor and nature
Fabulous Floridian Friday

I was up and out the door for another early morning walk among the palm trees in the warm air. I didn't have any fitness plans on the agenda until the the Heroes Memorial Twilight Run 10K, which wasn't until 6:30 p.m. When race time rolled around, things were feeling great...the DOMS were gone, the weather was perfect and the course was pretty flat. I just tried to run strong, with minimal glances at my watch. Thankfully, all went well. Low and behold, my finish time was (almost) my fastest 10K ever, and I was able to snag a top-25 (female) finisher award. More details to come in the race recap...stay tuned.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing
Simple Saturday

I debated, briefly, about going for a short recovery run, but opted for a walk with the hubby instead. Seriously, shouldn't all days begin like that...outdoors, sunshine, pleasant temps, and a nice walk with Starbucks at the finish?
Sunny Sunday

Up and out the door! How about a rise and run adventure in the sunrise? Even with a relatively low-key Saturday, my body felt a bit stiff and cranky. The hubby and I drove over to Bayshore Drive. He walked and I ran the scenic route, along the bay. I ran three miles, and each mile took longer. That said, I will never regret a run, especially in a beautiful setting. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a sunrise.
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and sky
Overall, it was a pretty sweet week. To say that I was over-the-moon excited to be back outside for all of my running would be a massive understatement. Monday's Fartlek run was a nice change of pace (quite literally) from my usual Monday runs. The one strength workout I did was very thorough. The timing of the DOMS that followed couldn't have happened more perfectly with the Wednesday early morning run and the downtime before Friday night's race. Total running mileage came in at 18, and total miles walked topped out at almost 10. I have another 10K happening this next weekend, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with that. Knock wood, the momentum will continue.



In case you missed them, here's the posts from last week (there only were two):

Seeing Green!
A Few Basic Necessities

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. As luck would have it, I had a small wardrobe malfunction and one of my sparkly sandals bit the dust. I didn't have to walk around barefoot in Florida, but I did have to make do with "only" one pair for the final couple of days in the sunshine state. First world probs, right? Anyways, the temps were a bit cool in the morning, but I was still quite comfy in shorts and cheetah print. Life was still good. If you want to play along, it's really simple...(1)post a pic of a favorite outfit, (2) grab the hashtag (#fridayfashionflair), and (3) be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).

Spring Break in sunny Florida was awesome! The hubby and I had a great time in the Florida sunshine, hanging out in Tampa for several days with some friends. The weather was perfect and was the perfect break from the cold winter we'd endured.


So, that's the run down on this past week's fitness. A break from the cold, and a breakaway from the treadmill. Both did my body, mind and spirit a ton of good.

How about you? Does it feel like Spring has officially arrived? Any Spring Break plans? Racecations? Do you stay active while on vacay or just chill, and take things easy?



Are you following me on social media?

Let's connect Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

42 comments:

  1. So glad that you were able to go to Florida to enjoy some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great time. We had so much fun on our much-needed trip to Tampa two weeks ago. It was just a tad bit too short, though.

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip has been great! I could definitely get used to this kind of weather.

      Delete
  3. If anyone deserved a little respite from the cold temps, it's you! Glad to see you are making the most of the weather. Congrats on the 10K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! My 10K finish time kind of surprised me, but in a good way. This weather in Florida is total perfection!!

      Delete
  4. Yay on fun in the sun, and congrats on an awesome 10K time. A friend was just in Tampa and I wonder if that was the race she did too.
    I'm always active on vacation, but don't necessarily run a race as they tend not to sync up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about fun in the sun, which is why I'm such a summer gal. This vacation has been pretty low-key. I ran the 10K, and then the short run this morning, and that's it. I'm quite alright with that ;-)

      Delete
    2. For as much as I love the pool and beach walks, I'm sometimes surprised I'm not a summer person

      Delete
  5. Spring weather makes my legs feel so free! How did you like a pm race? Did it throw you off at all to transition from morning to evening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done some evening races, so this wasn't a big deal. My biggest issue was the constant thirst (even though I thought I was well hydrated), and then massive hunger when I finished.

      Delete
  6. congrats on the 10k. Love that you were able to escape the cold.

    As you know, I always try to find a race when I'm on vacay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed that escape from the cold! Winter was so brutal!

      Delete
  7. It was really warm and sunny today although I still wore a long sleeve top under my short sleeve one. I love a sunrise too and you'll find TWO on my two-weeks'-worth of post today! Hooray for spring and outdoor running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time in Tampa sounds so good about now! Sounds like you've got your DOMS figured out and know just how to work around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DOMS can be a sneaky beast, but sometimes I'm able to predict its game LOL Oh gosh, the time in Tampa was glorious ;-) It was 40-degrees colder when we landed in Iowa this morning #buzzkill

      Delete
  9. It's always great to get a break during winter (even if it's technically spring) Alas, our warmer temps earlier in the week fled big time on Sat, but today was quite nice (although back at my parents for another birthday celebration).

    Congrats on your great race in FL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy ;-) The break was SO needed after the past two months with Milly LOL

      Delete
  10. So glad you got outside AND you got some sunshine in Florida. I'm jealous of anyone who is wearing shorts. That just sounds lovely right about now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a warm weather gal, so the time in Florida was amazing. It was hard to come back to reality...

      Delete
  11. So glad you got to enjoys some great (warm!) weather! Congrats on your 10K!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle ;-) The warm weather was simply perfect ;-)

      Delete
  12. Didn't it feel great to not be cold? Glad you got to enjoy the Florida sunshine. I"m ready to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me...I'm all about the warmth. I'll gladly take a hot & humid day over a freezing cold one.

      Delete
  13. Wow on that AG win! That's fantastic! An evening race would throw me off, but clearly that didn't phase you! What a super Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a few evening races, as well as evening runs....so it wasn't too big of a deal. I was just so thirsty...and crazy hungry when I got done (and I thought I was well-hydrated and had eaten a snack before the race) LOL

      Delete
  14. Looks like a great week- I'm jealous of the great weather! It's been cold again here. I'm ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tank tops and shorts! I am so ready (but not for the humidity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to be back in a tank and shorts...and outside! (until we had to come back home...)

      Delete
  16. What a fun few days in Florida! Congrats on that race too!

    My Spring Break is next week and I am excited about it. I am not going anywhere but just staying home to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida was a great break from the crazy Iowa weather. It was almost painful to come back to reality.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you had a great spring break in Florida, and congrats on that award for the 10k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time in Florida...I love the warm weather so much more than the cold.

      Delete
  18. Well....I can tell it's spring by the mud, slush, and allergies! Congrats on the 10K, sounds like you had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, our mud was short-lived...but we do have a chance of snow in the forecast for Saturday (#ugh)

      Delete
  19. So nice that you were able to spend your Spring Break enjoying some of our gorgeous weather! Yay!

    Spring Break was super low key over here, and I was grateful for cool days and mostly sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really lucked out. Florida can be tricky this time of year, but we scored on five days of perfection.

      Delete
  20. Congrats on your 10K finish! Top 35 is awesome! I love running 10k's, such a fun distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top 25 was a neat thing, but it was the fast (for me) finish time that really made my day. I think that was my second fastest 10K, ever ;-)

      Delete
  21. Congrats on the 10K! I bet it felt amazing to run in the FL sun after such a long winter!

    ReplyDelete