Monday, October 26, 2020

When she pivoted from running to cycling


When she pivoted from running to cycling, she was embarking on new adventure .

There was much to be learned. There also was much to be embraced and celebrated.

Yeah, this happened to a runner. Suddenly, a stress fracture forced her into a 2-month (at the minimum) sabbatical from all things on-foot.

But, it wasn't all bad. In fact, it was a pretty incredible journey with Gustavas, her ever loyal mountain bike.




Similar to another forced running sabbatical of 2017, this set-back relied heavily on attitude and mindset while the necessary physical recovery took place. Unlike the other sabbatical, this one didn't allow for any foot-based fitness (that happens when the second metatarsal of one's foot is compromised LOL). So there was no power walking, stair-climbing, or HIIT workouts allowed.

Thankfully, for her, cycling was allowed. And, as they say, the rest is history.  

Although this was her first-ever fracture, of any magnitude, she knew it would heal. She had faith her situation would not last forever, and it was up to her to look beyond the "here and now" and focus on the big picture instead. 


The timing was ideal. All of those COVID cancellations were actually a blessing because she didn't have any FOMO to suffer through, nor any upcoming races to DNS.

She had already been doing a lot of bike riding, so she didn't have to learn a new skill or acquire any new equipment. The Cat Eye computer, acquired earlier in the summer, was there to document the journey.

Not surprisingly, she found the early mornings to be just as enjoyable on wheels as they were on foot. Also, on a bike, the heat of summer felt quite a bit cooler (but the cool days of fall felt downright cold LOL). 


A lot of her running gear was quite suitable for cycling. If it wasn't a long ride, her fuel belt or Koala Clip sufficed for carrying her phone. Some of the pretty retired running shoes came out of retirement. And who says the Noxgear vest, arm warmers, and RoadiD are just for running? 



But she did acquire a few new cycling-specific items...to the tune of four new funky bike jerseys (with a fifth one on pre-order).  Stay tuned...

And, with the absence of Saturday long runs (and Iowa Hawkeye football games), group rides took precedence. There's nothing like the camaraderie of friends exploring new biking trails together!
 


She even found a way to actively participate in a (virtual) race...on the bike, of course. She didn't submit her finish time to the race site, but enjoyed the challenge of conquering 13.1 miles, on a rather windy ride (after work), getting home just before the forecast rain hit. Mission accomplished, and a biking PR (of sorts) set. Not everyone's virtual option of choice, but she made it work.



Finally, a true bright spot in all this biking was the ease of hydrating, via a water bottle that didn't require hand-holding or waist-sloshing. And, with a water bottle always at the ready, there was always a handy dandy "tripod" of sorts for all those requisite bike selfies. Glass (most definitely) half full.



Even with the dwindling daylight, and plummeting temps, the cycling has continued. With a little bit of luck (and some grace from Momma N), she's hoping to make it to 1,000 miles before concluding her first-ever Stress Fracture Biking Streak (#sfxbikestreak, look for it on Instagram LOL). As of Monday evening, she's hit 763 biking miles (since August 22nd). Onward!

So, this stress fracture has been quite a ride for her, literally. Although she'd rather have spent these last two months of Summer (and Fall) in her running shoes, it hasn't been too terrible experiencing the change of seasons via her bike. I know this for a fact, because she is me.

Call me crazy, naive, or a hopeless optimist.  I'd rather celebrate the things I can do instead of dwelling on what I (temporarily) cannot. That's my story and my strategy. Hope not mope!

You're turn...Have you ever been sidelined, from running, for an extended length of time? How did you cope? Did you find other fitness activities to occupy your time? Did you grow to love any new fitness finds?

  I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

23 comments:

  1. I love your optimistic attitude, Kim!
    Yes, I have been sidelined for 2 months this summer. My mountainbike and roadbike saved me! It was so great to have these options.
    Cold weather can be hard to bear on the bike, especially for the feet and hands. I've heard that there are heated boots and gloves nowadays. But then again, Momma N might be merciful until you start running again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Catrina!!! I am so grateful I had the bike to call on for fitness during these past 2+ months. I've been wearing my thick "winter" gloves the past couple weeks, due to the extreme drop in temps, but rumor has it the temps will be a little higher after tomorrow. If I planned on biking through the winter, I'd invest in more suitable gear, but I know that will not be happening once this bike streak concludes.

      Delete
  2. My takeaway is that runners always need to have a Plan B. I've never had to deal with a sideline (thank goodness and knock wood), but it's pretty clear that sidelines can happen anytime. If I had to take a 2 month break from running, something tells me that sitting on the couch wouldn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, runners (and any athlete, for that matter) should always have alternate forms of fitness. Not just for ongoing wellness and muscle harmony, but for times when the favored sport isn't possible. I walked, a lot, in 2017 when my knee was healing (and biking would have been a no-go then, due to range of motion with the 6-inch scar). Ironically, walking was a no-go this time LOL Circle of life...

      Delete
  3. You made quite a pivot! I know you’ll be glad to be running again, but I bet you will keep cycling in your regular rotation. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do plan to continue cycling. This was my second summer with a consistent cycling routine, but it definitely got a huge boost when the stress fracture hit. Sold!

      Delete
  4. I never enjoyed biking but when I broke my ankle years ago, biking was the first thing I could do. I was so grateful.

    I would do the same now but not everyday. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...the only reason I started doing it daily is because there was nothing else available. I love my early morning walks (or runs), but neither were allowed. Now that I'm walking again, the rides are shifting to after-work on some days.

      Delete
  5. You were able to pivot so quickly to bike riding to still get in your workouts and I really admired that about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim ;-) I sincerely had SO MUCH support from everyone, the biking gig just seemed like a natural fit. I'm so grateful it was approved by my podiatrist.

      Delete
  6. Cycling is wonderful indeed :) I will miss it this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my streak ends, I'm going to try indoor cycling. We have a stationary bike (in the basement by our elliptical). I fear it will be just as "thrilling" as indoor running (if you know what I mean LOL), but I'm gonna give it a try.

      Delete
  7. What a great title for a book, Kim! I have been lucky so far to not have a to take an extended break from running. But the things that challenge us almost always make us grow. Right now I'd just like to be a bit less challenged!

    Peloton really is great for indoor workouts. If I didn't have a treadmill & a stationary bike, I would never have paid for the app. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total agreement...the things that challenge us ALWAYS make us grow, and they make us stronger. Not that I'm wishing for any more 2020 challenges either...

      Delete
  8. you are right it is all about mindset and attitude. Cycling is a great way to stay active when you can't run. It's worked for me many times as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds so simple and naive, but a positive mind set can make the worst of times better. I'm so glad I had cycling to help me "coast" through this recovery period, and I'm SO thankful for all the support from my cycling friends ;-)

      Delete
  9. Love your attitude about all of this! During the times I couldn't run I never really found anything I enjoyed, and all of my cross-training options were indoors (other than walking). Its great that cycling allowed you to still get outside this summer/fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being outside, no matter the weather, so I'm really grateful my trusty bike was readily available. Like with running, the cold weather of late has made it more challenging, especially in terms of layering and staying warm, but even that's been a fun challenge to overcome.

      Delete
  10. <3.

    I channeled you this morning and went for an 8 mile ride. While it was a good break for my annoyed calf, I hated it. I tried to be super positive about it, and didn't quit, but I also struggled in ways I don't when I'm walking or running. It's in the toolbox, and I'm going to make use of it.

    Great job in finding that alternative that is making you so happy while you recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in all fairness, I was very late in arriving at the cycling party. My bike sat in storage for many years, and never saw the sunlight until a couple years ago. For me, though, it's been a fabulous cross-training option, and a perfect recovery vice. Had I not had the past two summers of cycling, the past two months would have been a lot more challenging to endure.

      Delete
  11. I got a bike back in 2006 with plans to do triathlons. That didn't work out (I'm so NOT a swimmer) but I rode a lot for several years. One year I logged 6,000 miles and completed a century a month. I enjoyed it a lot but I was never really comfortable on my back seat and eventually my back was bothering me too much. Sadly, my bike has actual cobwebs at the moment. I want to ride again but I'm a little worried about my back. It's much better now but is that because I haven't been riding?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love your positive attitude. My favorite part is " I'd rather celebrate the things I can do instead of dwelling on what I (temporarily) cannot."

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome how much joy you've found in cycling! I want to get a good bike or Elliptigo sometime to have a back-up option for running.

    ReplyDelete