Thursday, July 1, 2021

Coffee Chat this 'n that


It may be (officially) summer, but I'm happily drinking my hot beverage of choice, on the daily.

Although I'm still not on the coffee-drinking bandwagon, all is still well and good in my life. The chai latte's suit me just fine, and I'm done with the "real" coffee FOMO....but I still am in love with the rich aroma of the stuff. In short, I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. Rest assured, I don't feel any less of a runner for my lack of morning coffee.

Alas, it's time for the monthly Ultimate Coffee Date, and I have my chai latte' in hand...shall we get this party started?

Allow me to begin...

This past week, on June 29th, Voldy celebrated his fourth birthday. As most know, Voldy (short for Voldemort) is the 6-inch scar on my right knee...a reminder of that misdiagnosed staph infection that we caught just in time. Emergency surgery, a few weeks of at-home IV infusions, and a 3-month sabbatical (from all things running) was my reality during the summer of 2017. Amazingly, I actually came back stronger from the experience and full of gratitude. 


The recent humidity has been rather extreme (and I do say so myself LOL). My-oh-my has it been balmy! I recently had the revelation, though, that I don't really mind or notice the humidity ((much)) while in motion. But as soon as I stop, the sweat flows like a geyser erupting. That said, I will gladly (and I do mean that sincerely) take the heat and humidity of summer over the freezing cold of winter...but a lower dew point would be appreciated, once in awhile at the very least. Just saying.

glistening and glowing to the max

Many years ago (like, in 1994), I was gifted a dieffenbachia from my grandmother when she was downsizing. This  houseplant was one she'd had for many years. I've repotted it a few times, and have cut the stalks down (as a means of rejuvenating its growth). A few months ago, I decided to cut the stalks again because it was looking rather lanky. Holy growth spurt, Batman! Within a month or so, I noticed a new shoot coming up through the soil, near the base of one of the stumps. Not much later, there were two additional shoots emerging. A fourth one appeared as well, a few weeks after that. Ironically, the stumps remain in a disarray...but these four new shoots are in a perfect line, kind of in the middle of all the chaos. The four cuttings are doing well, too, and are getting more leaves. It's amazing what happens when you "cut back" in hopes of growing...kind of a metaphor for running and training.

the four new babies

the four cuttings

I have continued to play with videos on social media. I'm still not a fan of the Reels (on Instagram). While some are more interesting than others, I still prefer live voices (with interaction) over loud music (that often has very minimal engagement).  I'm testing out a series of #TalkToMeTuesday videos, where I do a short "talk" about running and fitness-related topics. Maybe someday I will drink the Kool-Aid and make some real Reels, but for now these videos are more my thing. They're getting  numerous "views," and I've received some decent feedback. Stay tuned.




Finally, here are my stats for June. Is it obvious I've been doing just a little bit of biking? I've gotten SO MUCH encouragement and support for my nontraditional marathon training plan of action (incorporating biking as a key part of the program). Even though this is my 10th hurrah prepping for 26.2 miles, I think this rodeo has me the most excited.  


Anyways, that's the latest and greatest of what I'm bringing to the "coffee" table this month. I don't know about you, but I'm having a really hard wrapping my head around the fact that 2021 is half over. Time flies, so I'm doing all I can to get outside and enjoy as much of the summer scene as possible. 

Your turn...if we were having coffee, what would you share? Was June a good month for you? Any big races coming up? Have you been enjoying an unusually more-humid-than-typical summer, too?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.




By the way...are you following me on social media?

Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

26 comments:

  1. Yes the humidity has been off the leash lately. I am grateful I don't have marathon-sized miles to run but it even makes my Hood to Coast ramp up a challenge. Love the Dieffenbachia and that it's thriving after all these years! My sister has a plant she took to college with her a billion years ago and she gave Thing 1 a cutting of it when she headed off. I've got it here for the summer. Love plants with some history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on plants with history...I'm a sentimental gal at heart.

      Delete
  2. My husband ribs me for drinking hot chocolate year round, but he drinks coffee year round (and I still hate even the smell of it).

    Nope, humidity takes a LOT out of me. Always has. Everyone's different in their tolerance of weather, glad you enjoy it. There's definitely been a lot of it here, too!

    Love your analogy with your grandma's plant. You know I'm big on recovery!

    Good luck with your videos. I know for me at least it's not easy putting myself out there! Like most things it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I do make it to a Starbucks, and order a chai latte,' I'm always surprised when they ask me if I want that hot or cold. Duh...hot, please! I just cannot imagine drinking a "hot" beverage like that at a cold temp LOL

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the sound on videos. I always keep my sound off when I'm on IG, so if people talk I don't hear what they're saying, but the music doesn't bother me since I don't hear it. I like a mix of pictures and reels, but I don't like it when IG shows me ONLY reels on my feed. It's like too much to take in at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it may depend on your settings...my Insta is set up as "business" account. Even when I have my phone on silent, the reels come through loud and clear (which makes ZERO sense to me). I do like a mix of pics and videos (or reels), but I just wish there was a way to make watching them optional (like a "start" button to actually make them play). It seems like once I accidentally see a reel, then I see LOTS of them ...and that is really annoying.

      Delete
  4. I am super impressed that you have had a plant that long!
    I've really been enjoying your talking videos on IG. I'm not a fan of the reels that have the blaring music either! ( although I did my first reel with music while we were on vacation and I hope it wasn't too annoying...lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loud music is so distracting! For me, it takes away from the image or message. The talking videos have been fun, and have definitely been a nice challenge to mix things up a bit ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love coffee! In fact, as I haven't had enough this morning (yet), I initially read that you've incorporated some "baking" as part of your training, instead of biking, lool! I need more coffee!

    The plants are very pretty! I have a bunch in my house too and am always cutting them down as they tend to grow way so tall.

    June has been a decent month for me. I've done my longest run-walk last week and it felt really good. Like I could go longer with not much effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a bit nervous when I cut down these particular plants (because the main plant was my grandmother's), but they've always come back.

      Delete
  6. Well, I'm super impressed with your green thumb! Those plants are beautiful.
    Ugh... humidity. The heat wouldn't be so bad without all this humidity! But, it is what it is. Like you, I'll take it over freezing cold any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, the humidity was in the 90% range for my morning run, but then it dropped and it felt so nice outside!

      Delete
  7. Crazy summer weather - heat humidity and then rain but as you said it's better than winter.

    I've been very successful wiht succulents and African violets - with no effort.

    I've watched your videos. You are good. I doubt I'll ever do one. Not my thing. The same with reels. I rarely even have time to look at stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try my hand with succulents. I love African violets, and used to have some...I'd forgotten about those. My son gave me an orchid for my birthday, so that's a new thing for me. It's just now starting to lose some of the blooms, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

      Delete
  8. I am not a fan of Reels at all. I guess I just like to look at people's photos and read the captions. Call me boring..

    I never did a 'traditional' marathon training plan for any of mine except my first. There was always at least one biking day. No need to break down the legs with excessive miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to not "have" to run so many excessive miles this go-round. That's my least favorite thing about 26.2 training...I don't mind the long runs, but am not a fan of so many mid-week miles.

      Delete
  9. Nice stats for June!

    I love your video reels on Instagram. It's such a fun way to mix up posting content on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you #KimTwin ;-) The videos have been a fun way to try new things, and I agree that mixing things up is a good thing.

      Delete
  10. Yay on views and engagement. It's all about finding what works for you.
    I too feel more sweaty when I'm "cooling down" before a shower, but I feel the humidity all the way through. No acclimatization doesn't help
    Wow, four years since VOldy! So glad you rebounded so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how once I step inside my air-conditioned house, how much more sweating I seem to do LOL

      Delete
  11. I love that you still have your grandma's plant and the metaphor is just perfect. Whoa on the bike miles this month. That is impressive! Gotta do what feels good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really loving the biking miles! I can see (and feel) a big difference in my legs, and glad to NOT be knocking out so many miles on-foot.

      Delete
  12. I love my coffee, but chai is yummy - how do you make it? I think cycling is a great way to build up cardio endurance without pounding your body like running does, so I definitely think it has a role in marathon training — especially when it’s not your first.

    Thanks for joining us for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have an orchid that the boys gave me. I don't know what they were thinking. All the flowers fell off but there are new buds? I am not a plant person. I have no idea.

    I hate doing videos but we have to adapt with the times. Sometimes I like the music, but I hate the sounds of my own voice, so...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how long houseplants can live. I had a Christmas cactus that originally belonged to my great grandmother!!!

    I've said this before, but I would put money that your bike miles will pay off big time on race day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a fan of the IG Reels either. I've caught a couple of your videos - sometimes the IG algorithm really messes with who I see and when - so frustrating! Good for you for trying something new!

    Great stats for June :)

    ReplyDelete