Saturday, November 5, 2022

Embracing My Current Reality


My current reality?

It's definitely not what I would have pictured or imagined a few weeks ago, but that's not a bad thing. Not in the least.

This past week saw very little running (umm, how does a single, solitary mile grab you? LOL). Instead, it entertained all kinds of other fun fitness things, which is always a good thing. 

And, the weather? Well, it was a brief summer-rewind situation...and that was a GREAT thing.

Before I give you the low-down, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

 I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down, in my little corner of the universe, this week: 

Sunday's reality? A mix of indoor and outdoor fun.
Temps were a bit chilly in the morning hours, but the sky was clear. I started the day with a 2-mile walk, then had a 3-mile "walk and talk" with my BFF from college a few hours later. In the afternoon, I couldn't resist a 6-mile adventure on the bike in the pleasant temps. Still feeling energetic, I saddled-up Sebbe (in the basement) and knocked out nine miles (via a Peloton cycling class). So, yeah, five miles of walking, and 15 miles of cycling for the day.

Monday's reality? Give the running a rest...
Time was of the essence, in the morning hours, so I high-tailed it and did a high-powered 2-mile walk, finishing in 29:39 (that's a 14:50 pace, thank you very much). The forecast was showing a very warm afternoon on tap, so I purposely saved the #nevermissaMonday run for after work (title pic, above). My PT had advised me to keep any runs short and very easy-paced, so I did just that...a 1-mile run (10:36 pace) sandwiched between two (1/2-mile) walks. Then, I did a quick "costume change" and was ready for the handful of trick-or-treaters who knocked on our door. 

Tuesday's reality? Barre, back in the basement (and the start of Planksgiving '22).
The morning started with  Barre and an upper-body workout (both via Peloton), as well as PT before work. There also was a 1-mile walk (afternoon break, at work) and another walk (three miles) after work. {Planksgiving '22 - 2:30 forearm plank, 1:15 forearm side plank (each side)-->5:00 total minutes} 


Wednesday's reality? Slay that 13.1 (biking) dragon.
I probably could have squeaked out a short run, but I was really craving some serious sweat equity, via the bike. I cued-up a Tabata ride, an interval ride and a low-impact ride (all via Peloton), and finished with 13.1 miles in the wee hours. Max and I walked a mile over lunch, and a friend walked another mid-afternoon mile with me at work. The temps were warm (73F), but with 18mph wind, there was no way Amy and I were about to attempt a "bonus" ride to the lake, so we enjoyed a wind-blown 3-mile walk instead, after work. {Planksgiving '22 - 2:30 forearm plank, 1:15 forearm side plank (each side)-->5:00 total minutes}


Thursday's reality? More Barre (and glutes/legs) for breakfast.
It had been a few weeks since I'd done any specific lower-body strength work, so I started with a Barre workout (as a bit of a warm-up). The lower-body workout was only 10 minutes, but it was intense with three sets of split squats and dead lifts. Ouch. I did a quick 1-mile walk, afterwards, to shake out my throbbing legs. {Planksgiving '22 - 2:30 forearm plank, 1:15 forearm side plank (each side), 30-second Chaturanga plank-->5:30 total minutes}


Friday's reality? Can you say DOMS!!!
The morning started off innocently enough with a couple of Peloton rides (and 14 miles of indoor cycling). We had a full day of heavy rain in the forecast, but it hadn't yet arrived, so I got out for a quick 1-mile morning walk before heading to another PT session (before work). I don't know if was the previous day's lower-body extravaganza or the morning's PT exercises (my gal worked me hard, just saying), but my body was in a world of DOMS - for the entire day - afterwards. {Planksgiving '22 - 2:30 forearm plank, 1:15 forearm side plank (each side), 35-second Chaturanga plank-->5:35 total minutes}


Saturday's reality? Go the distance...
It was icky, cold, and rainy outside, so my "top o' the morning" began bright and early under a ceiling light. I was on the bike at 06:00, with a goal of 20 miles. I had three Peloton rides cued-up, and got to it. I was going for distance and endurance, not speed, so I kept the resistance mild. Wouldn't you know? I passed the 20-mile mark sooner than anticipated, so I found another cycling class and kept going (eventually ending with 27 miles). Now, that felt good! Later, after a long day of football watching, I got out for a 2-mile walk (somehow, sitting still feels more exhausting than movement). {Planksgiving '22 - 2:30 forearm plank, 1:15 forearm side plank (each side)-->5:00 total minutes} 


...and what's on tap for Sunday?
The forecast is showing mild temps with a touch of wind. There will definitely be some outdoor action on tap...walking, maybe a short run (?), and possibly an afternoon bike ride.

So, there you have it. Despite the limited running, I successfully busied myself with other things. My PT gal told me (Friday morning) she's already seen a big improvement in my range of motion, so that's very encouraging! This past week's running was almost null and void (one mile, LOL), but I'm fine with that. Honestly, it's more of a priority to rehab the troubled hammy than pat my ego by running when I really don't need to. That said, walking served me well with 22 miles, and biking was on-point with 69 miles. I'm doing daily PT exercises and stretches (as well as in-person appointments, twice weekly), continued strength work (but keeping the lower-body moves "light" for the time-being), and am enjoying the benefits of Barre a couple times each week as well. Oh, and let's not forget the Planksgiving '22 Challenge (see below). 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. As much as I love bright and bold colors, I'm still a diehard with the classic black and white color combo. No harm in adding a punch of color, though. Question for you...do you button your sleeve cuffs? I don't like the "tight" feeling of buttoned cuffs, so I tend to leave them unbuttoned. I think it adds a bit of a whimsical touch of funk. Your thoughts? 


Planksgiving '22! The challenge started on Tuesday (November 1st) and goes through Thanksgiving. No specific rules, but merely a challenge of planking daily. You get to decide whatever position(s) and  how long you're "on the floor" ...but I do encourage you to try to increase your "holding" time (either daily or every couple days) and try new positions (to vary the muscles being worked). Personally, I'm committing to five total minutes each day (at the minimum), and am working on increasing my holding time for side-planks and Chaturanga planks. 


Finally, the weather was simply wonderful (up until Friday). We had afternoon temps in the low/mid-70F's! Now, this is the kind of fall weather I could really get used to!


Anyways, enough about me!

Tell me about YOUR week! Any kick-buttocks workouts that left you proud? Weekend races? Summer-rewind weather? Are you joining me for Planksgiving '22? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

30 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I'm new to your blog. I was looking for fitness blogs to read, and found you somewhere, on a list or in someone's comment section. I'm loving the idea of a fitness blog linkup! I started a photography-based blog earlier this year but more and more fitness stuff has crept in there so I'm planning to maybe start a fitness blog. After many years of "I'd love to start strength training" my husband got in contact with a personal trainer/physical therapist in March this year and we both started training with him. Later my husband started running, and I tried doing it in September, and loved it. I've had great results from my weight lifting sessions, which made me more fit for running, but not fit enough because I got knee tendonitis (long story). Now my plan is to go all in with strength training over the winter and then my goal is to run in the spring again.
    I love the idea of planksgiving!! Obviously I'm late to it but I might join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne!!! So glad you're here! We'd love for you to link-up with us; there are so many great gals here, and we're all about supporting each other on our fitness journeys ;-) While running is my sport-of-choice, I do a lot of other stuff for cross-training, and strength work is a big one. And, it's not too late to join the Planksgiving challenge...you can start right now, no matter where you are with the fine art of planking...the main goal is to simply do it daily (in some capacity) and gradually improve your performance with it.

      Delete
  2. Great job with those planks!! I am still getting back into planking postpartum so we will see if I can join. Trying to heal my diastasis recti first (still!). We also had warm weather and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally LOVED last week's weather (until Friday, that is)...

      Delete
  3. Glad to see that you are feeling better and keeping active. This week's warm weather was certainly a gift! BTW I don't like to button the cuffs on my long sleeves either, but it's because I have freakishly long arms! The sleeves are always too short for me. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, given my height, most "long" sleeves come up short on me by default. I learned, many years ago, to unbutton (and sometimes roll) the cuffs, which makes the sleeves look intentionally short, LOL. Now, I just leave the sleeves down, but usually unbuttoned - my own fashion statement ;-)

      Delete
  4. That's great news from your PT - I hope she's right and you're on the mend and back to 100% soon!

    We've have amazingly gorgeous weather, but I'm afraid that's coming to an end soon. It's raining this morning and the weather this coming week looks a bit cooler and rainier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she told me my range of motion had dramatically improved, which was very encouraging. The tightness, though, is still an annoying reality none the less.

      Delete
  5. It sure was warm here this week too! Glad you are working on giving your hips/glutes some rest. I hope it does the trick! You did keep nice and busy. Have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about running this morning, and took a pass. Maybe tomorrow...maybe not. We'll see...no need to poke the bear, LOL

      Delete
  6. My PT exercises are kicking my butt — literally. It’s amazing how much 10 min of exercises with a booty band can burn.
    Glad you are making progress on your road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...my PT appointments are about 45 minutes, and they are pretty intense! I'm being a good girl, though, and doing what she says.

      Delete
  7. You are more active than those without injuries. It's important to heal rather than put in the running miles. I doubt you've lost any fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about losing any fitness either. Even when I took a few months off (with the knee, and then the stress fracture), the running came back rather quickly because I'd maintained my cardio endurance and strength. It is what it is...

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, we had summer rewind weather! I hate to say it, but I want it to get cold up north again- we can't cool down till you cool down up there. And I had a kick-buttocks workout with Caroline Girvan this week, ouch. And, I don't want to talk about Planksgiving : ). How did your glute/hamstring area feel during that one mile run? I'm sure all the PT and other activities you're doing are helping it tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one mile run felt alright, except it felt really strained on the corner-turns (?). I will proabably attempt a run tomorrow, may a 2-miler (?). I"M hoping it feels "alright" after having an entire week off.

      Delete
  9. It's good to see you focusing on what you CAN do while you continue to recover! Yes the weather has been so gorgeous here until yesterday's crazy wind and rain, that took down several trees here. It's mile again so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't lost any trees (that I know of) in town, but the remaining leaves really took a beating from the wind and rain. It's so weird to see so many barren trees compared to just a few days ago.

      Delete
  10. I ran one mile this week too! My knee has improved a lot but was giving me a little sass in my strength workout this morning so I figured that it was time to see if a little running will help.

    Do I button my sleeve cuffs? WAIT A MINUTE I don't think I own anything with a button sleeve anymore...is that possible? It just depends on how it looks, but in general ain't nobody got time for "tight" clothing so I say let 'em fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your knee is feeling better! I'm going to test out the hammy tomorrow with a short run...fingers crossed all goes well.

      Delete
  11. Well done for being careful with yourself. I'm sticking to walk-running at the moment although my recovering back seems more bothered by inappropriate chair choices than running, actually! Glad you've got lots of choices for your fitness activities and are taking advantage of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so thankful I have a fully-loaded arsenal of fitness stuff to keep me active. My lower back has really been a pain, lately, as well. It's probably all related. The couch is NOT my friend, since I tend to slouch on it (it feels real comfy at the time, but when I stand up and try to walk...OUCH!!!).

      Delete
  12. Absolutely no running for me, either -- but that was by choice, which makes it easier. Walking and hiking and way too many miles sitting in the car!

    Sounds like you are doing a great job in PT, and I know you'll be out there running soon. Sorry you had to miss it in your favorite temps, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't mind missing out on the running last week, since I got in so much walking. The sunshine was amazing.

      Delete
  13. Well of course it was a wonderful week (weather wise) and then it just all broke loose on my race day! (again, for the 3rd time this year) I was thinking about doing Planksgiving, a few days late. You are really crushing it with 5 mins!! You've kept very busy and fit this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do join in on the Planksgiving fun! Even though I set Thanksgiving as the final day, I plan to continue the challenge through the end of the month.

      Delete
  14. The weather this week was so great, but not so good for the NYCM runners today - I felt bad that it was so warm for them! Love the idea of the Planskgiving challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really taking everything in stride. I'm proud of how you are rolling with it. Cute outift, too! We have... another hurricane coming. So that's just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge kudos to you for focusing on your rehab work - sounds like you've made great progress!

    ReplyDelete