Monday, December 12, 2022

2022: The Year in Bling


I believe that every race has its own unique story.

Whether it's a challenge that was overcome, a reward for countless miles of grueling training, or a lesson learned about our own grit, determination and perseverance...every race is special. Even if it's a race you've run numerous times before, it's probably going to be a different experience each and every time you make your way to the finish line. 

While most of us don't need medals to validate our love for running, they do make for nice keepsakes. Each year brings more adventure to myself and my running shoes, and 2022 was no exception. 

Care to see the bling I brought home, this past year, and hear the stories behind the medals? Read on...  

Let me start by saying that this felt like an odd year to me, in terms of racing. There were only two (count 'em, 2!) long distance races. Well, I guess there were technically four long distance events, but one was a virtual gig and the other was broken into three legs of a team relay. So yeah. Little Miss Long Distance Runner did a lot of short-distance racing, LOL.

Anyways, here's a peek at what was added to my bling collection: 

Running of the Squares 5K (January 8th, Lake Sumter Landing, FL)
We hadn't even been in Florida for a week when I spotted an ad for a 5K, happening in a few days. This race was a fun adventure, situated around a golf course. 


Key West Half Marathon (January 15th, run virtually while snow-birding in Florida)
I had registered for this race knowing I'd be in Florida the weekend of the event. What I didn't know was the difficulty I'd have in figuring out the logistics of getting to Key West or finding lodging. Also, I'd been dealing with some mild hip flexor issues, and was leery of running a full 13.1 miles. I made a command decision to just run those 13.1 miles on my own, which was a whole other challenge of its own. But, it was my first-ever Florida half marathon and I made it happen (coincidentally, it was my first-ever January half marathon, as well). And, the rooster medal and funky event shirt were well worth mapping out my own course, in an unfamiliar place, in the wee hours of a Saturday morning.


Running With the Herd 5K (January 22nd, The Villages, FL)
Although this was another race in the tropical state of  Florida, the weather was very reminiscent of April in Iowa. The temps were in the mid-40's, and it was rainy and windy. At least it wasn't snowing. I learned, after finishing the race, that this race was a fundraiser for the local school, whose mascot was the buffalo (hence the herd reference).


Shamrock Shuffle (March 12th, Iowa City, IA)
Eager for a St. Patrick's event, this new-to-me race caught my attention. The race course, though, was a 2-looped endeavor with a lot of hills. The weather was bright and sunny, but very cold and windy. I placed first in my age group...but never received anything (in the mail) for my efforts. Oh well. At least the glass pint has proven to be quite useful!


Drake Road Races Half Marathon (April 24th, Des Moines, IA)
This was my eighth time running these 13.1 miles. The course is hilly and the weather is usually cold and windy, but the finish line on the famous Blue Oval in Drake Stadium is pretty epic. And, my finish time was 2:06:35...two minutes off of a course PR.


Fight For Air Climb (May7th, Des Moines, IA)
I can't say enough good things about this event. This also was my eighth time doing this event, and it was the second year it was held outdoors at Principal Park ( a baseball stadium). This year's weather was spectacular!


Des Moines Women's Race - 10K (May 8th, Des Moines, IA)
Look closely, this 10K happened the day following the Fight for Air Climb. Unfortunately, the weather was rather beastly...rainy and mucho breezy with 25mph wind. I managed a 3rd place AG, so that was a nice perk. My legs were completely trashed upon finishing...more from fighting the wind than from the previous day's climbing.


Market to Market Relay (May 14th, Jefferson to Des Moines)
A majorly fun event, this relay encompasses 76-ish miles through central Iowa, ending in downtown Des Moines. I was on a team of seven gals, and we had a blast! In years past, we've received glass pints with the event logo, but medals were given this year.


And, an additional bonus piece of bling was the medal from our team placing fourth in our division!


DAM to DSM Half Marathon (June 4th, Des Moines, IA)
Everyone has heard me talk about DAM to DSM. Hey, it's my favorite event and I Look forward to it every year. Originally a 20K, this year they upped the distance to 13.1 miles. As much as I love half marathons, I wish they would have kept D2D at its original 20K distance, though, because that's what made it unique. Sigh.


Sully Freedom Fun Run 5K
  (July 4th, Sully, IA)
A long-time must-do event, this year we had thunderbolts & lightning. The race's start time was delayed 30 minutes as a result. We still had light rain, but on a hot July morning, it felt nice. This was my second consecutive year bringing home a 1st place AG (I have a nice collection of second and third place medals from the previous seven times I'd run it). 


Midnight Madness 10K
 (July 9th, Ames, IA)
This is a fun evening race! I've run it several times and every time has been a very hot and humid endeavor (it's July in Iowa...those kinds of conditions are expected, LOL). I have a slew of beautiful bronze medals from previous years, but this year I FINALLY snagged a first place finish. The gal who got second place was a mere five seconds behind me, so the first place almost didn't happen.


This event is also part of the Summer Iowa Games, so all Iowa residents, who place, get bonus medals as well. I know, kind of redundant, but I don't make the rules, LOL.


Kickoff to Kinnick 5K (September 24th, Iowa City, IA)
Another fun and worthwhile event, this one benefits the University of Iowa Dance Marathon and their work with the Stead Family Children's Hospital. BTW, that's the hospital we all wave to, from Kinnick Stadium, on game day...it's only appropriate the race itself finishes on the field, with the hospital overlooking all the runners. 


Principal 5K Road Race (October 16th, Des Moines, IA)
My final race of the year, this one was a tough one. I'd been having some glute/hammy discomfort, so I scaled-back from the half marathon to the 5K. I kept a decent, though conservative, pace but felt like I'd run much farther than 3.1 miles by the time I'd finished. Preliminary results showed I'd gotten a 3rd place AG, but several hours later, I learned that I'd actually gotten 4th place instead. Oh well...
 

Looking back, I guess there was a lot of racing action after all. It seems like there's usually been a few more half marathons thrown into the mix...but not this year. That said, I am grateful for each and every race I was able to do. Running is truly a gift, and racing is a bonus. 

How about you? Did 2022 reward you with some bling? Did you do as many races as in years past, or did your numbers fluctuate a bit? Got a favorite race? Or a favorite medal?

 I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

17 comments:

  1. I remember all these races! Isn't it amazing how many come together in a year?!
    Nice that you also placed so well in your age group in so many of them. Well done, Kim!

    How practical it would be if races would give out mugs and glasses at every race instead of medals. But I guess people prefer medals, hence the Market to Market Relay also switched back to these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my medals, but I agree that mugs and glasses are much more practical. Now the event shirts? I wish those were optional.

      Delete
  2. lots of fun races in 2022 for you even if it was less than normal. And cool bling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to look back on the bling and relive the races ;-)

      Delete
  3. That's some nice bling! I think the FL half wins the award for Best Shirt. Congrats on a strong 2022 and here's to 2023 bling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did toe the line at lots of races this year every month of the year. Always fun to look back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops I am anonymous LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so many races! Hopefully, 2023 will be injury free for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great year of races! You still got in alot even if only 2 were longer ones. I actually one did one race this year. Not sure how that happened, but I think it was partly due to Rob having marathon training all summer and fall. Congrats on a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, Kim, on a fabulous year of racing, age group wins, and places!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many races and so many memories and tons of bling. Awesome job this year #kimtwin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's quite a collection of bling! Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got planned for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I didn't realize you ran that many races this year! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete