Thursday, August 29, 2024

A few pre-fall ‘Fessions


Well, well, well. Here we are, about to bid summer an unofficial “so long, see ya later.” 

It’s never an easy time of year for me. We all know I’d love for summer to last forever, right?

Alas, reality dictates the seasons are on the verge of changing, so I guess it's best to just go with it. That doesn't mean I have to embrace it, though. At least there's still plenty of summer-like weather remaining before the big freeze hits us, and I plan to enjoy every last minute of it.

Anyways, it's that time of the month: time to hit the 'Fessional and come clean on a few things. Here’s a few pre-fall ‘fessions I’ll share with you…

August was a bust! 
August started with an unfortunate stumble & tumble on the very first (early) morning of the month. My body was so achy and sore (especially my left knee and shoulder) that I had to scale-back the running for a couple weeks while my wounds and body parts healed. As if that wasn’t enough, I then came down with a nasty head cold /virus of some sort that had me blowing my nose nonstop and feeling like a zombie for several days. Thus, the running took a major hit in mileage. I also opted to skip a few nights of my routine leg lifts, push-ups and planking…and I runfess that I had ZERO guilt in doing so. 

finally back to the daily planking, push-ups, and leg lifts

I want my daylight back!
I have been noticing the sunrises coming later and later, but it's only just recently I've caught the sunsets happening sooner than I'd prefer. At Thursday evening's group run, we finished running around 7:30 and stood around chatting for a short while. By the time I got home, not even 30 minutes later, it was almost pitch dark. Truth be told, there was a nasty storm coming in, and we were ecstatic to have beat the rain, but still. I runfess it was a major buzzkill to have such a dark sky so "early" in the evening. 

darkness falls across the land...
 
Oh, the irony!
I recently noticed we have a local ice cream truck that makes its rounds through the 'hood. I don't know it's schedule, so it's pretty random when I hear the carnival-type music signaling its arrival.  One night, I couldn't place the name of the familiar tune it was playing...then I realized it was "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer!" I runfess, I didn't see that coming!



Bring on the football!
Summer is coming to a close. Ugh. Boo. Yuck. I know I’m in the minority, but it always makes me sad to see the summer season drifting away. I will dearly miss the warm temps, extended daylight, and all the wonderful smells of the season (flowers and fresh-cut grass, to name a few). But, I football-fess, I do love me some NCAA gridiron action! And tailgating? Bring it! 

when you're not only running friends, but HAWKEYE friends as well

My sweet Max!
I've been in my new house for five months (already!). My sister graciously dog-sits Max everyday, so he gets to go for daily car rides with me on my commute. He cracks me up...he'll sit patiently, watching me get ready for work every morning. As soon as I turn-off the bathroom light, though, he immediately jumps down and races to the top of the stairs, eagerly awaiting our departure. I gotta Max-fess, he's SUCH a sweetheart!

waiting for the bathroom light to go out...

So, yeah. That's it for this month. How is it that we're just about to Labor Day??? It certainly feels great to get these 'fessions off my chest! Now, onward to September, and all that comes with it.

 Do you have any 'fessions that need disclosure? Care to share a few?

 I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.




By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Doggos are SO smart and boy they know they're routine. How nice of your sis to watch him for you. We lose 77 minutes of daylight in August and I'm missing every single one! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? The daylight is really disappearing at record speed now. I'm missing every lost minute as well ;-(

      Delete
  2. I'm barely running - just two miles - but it was enough for me to take a tumble this week and skin my knee and palms. It's no where near as bad as your fall but I'm just like "really?????"

    I runfess that I am enjoying the extra bit of sleep now that I don't have to start work until 9. I also runfess that if I heard an ice cream truck playing Christmas music that it would knock me for a loop as well.

    Our old dog used to get so excited anytime she got to go in the car, but when we first got the puppy she was nervous around cars. Then we started taking her to training classes, and Doggy Group Play and she quickly figured out that car=something fun is going to happen. It's such a good feeling to see her get excited and run toward the garage when she knows that we're going somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to start work at 9:00, but my body would still probably do its ritual 5:00-ish wake-up anyways, LOL. I heard the ice cream truck last night (on a nearby street), and it was playing Jingle Bells! What the WHAT???

      Delete
  3. Kim, I know a place where summer lasts forever- Florida! Come on down! In all seriousness, when I lived up north I felt exactly the same as you- I LOVED summer and hated to see it end. Now I'm like "can we get some cooler weather yet???"
    Ha, Max. What a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think I'd miss ((some of)) the winters here if I moved south, and your extreme humidity wouldn't exactly be pleasant (since you have it more often than not). We get a lot of humidity here, but it's not usually as extreme for days on end. Key word: "usually" LOL

      Delete
  4. The shortening evening daylight is what I wish would stay. The humidity and heat not so much. I hope you got some ice cream! We do love football season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The evening daylight has really gotten my attention this past week. It's such a buzzkill, but we did have a nice evening (Friday) just sitting out, under the stars, enjoying the weather without having to wait until 10:00 to do so.

      Delete
  5. Amazing that it's been 5 months in your new home already! I do miss the extra daylight but you know I welcome Fall with open arms LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most are eager for Fall weather (I'm the odd man out on that, LOL).

      Delete
  6. I cannot believe it's Sept already. Where did summer go. I do miss the extra daylight. I hate shorter days.

    Hope your fall is uneventful injury-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for an injury-free fall as well! I'm still having some cranky stuff with my left hammy/piriformis area, but it's manageable. Never a dull moment!

      Delete
  7. First, Max is perfection! What a good boy! Second, see ya summer! I am DONE with the heat and the constant sweating. I know we are polar opposites in this, but I am ready for cozy sweaters and fluffy blankets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope the transition to colder weather is smooth...some years it seems to happen overnight, and that's NOT a fun gig.

      Delete