Saturday, September 14, 2024

A Summer Weather Rewind!

 



After a much-too-soon fall preview, this week had us rebounding back to summer. 

For obvious reasons, I was totally on board with Momma N and her weather games this week. As far as I’m concerned, she can keep those fall-like temps in hiding until the fall season actually shows on the calendar, or even longer. 

Before I dis on the deets from my return-to-summer week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down this week in my little corner of the fitness & fun universe:

An adventurous Sunday…
There was talk of a trail run happening Sunday morning, so I opted to start the day with an out-of-my routine adventure. After a 1-mile "warm-up" walk (literally, it was 46F, brrr), I headed to Thomas Mitchell Park (Mitchellville, IA; a 15-minute drive). I’m no stranger to trails, but I certainly don’t run them on the regular. I met-up with Becca and Ryan, and we trudged through some very heavily dew-laden grass, climbed several hills, and navigated our way over the never-ending rough terrain. We all remained vertical (yay!), but I runfess I drove home barefoot because my shoes were a mucky and muddy mess and my socks were thoroughly soaked through. How’s that for a “recovery” run (following Saturday’s 7-mile “long” run)?


It was such a beautiful day, I simply couldn’t resist a bike ride. After all, my warm weather bike ride days are numbered, so I didn’t want to let the perfect weather go to waste. I headed out on my usual trail (the Chichaqua Valley Trail), and added a short detour (on the Gay Lea Wilson Trail), for a 20-mile ride. 


Never miss a Monday
I started the day with an early-morning walk (title pic, above), then added another 1-mile walk (mid-morning) and a 2-mile lunch walk. The real fun happened, though after work. The temps were a glorious 81F (and not too humid). Yes, I had to attempt a ninja jump out of pure joy during my 2-mile run. Wouldn't you do the same?


A much-needed Take-It-Easy Tuesday
Believe it or not, my body was ready for a low-key, low-impact day (can you smell the sarcasm?). I don't typically run three days in a row (especially with a trail run added to the mix), so I knew an active recovery day was necessary. The day started with eight easy miles on the indoor bike and some core work. I got out for some workday walking (2-1/2 miles) and a short evening walk (1-1/2 mile) and that was all she wrote.



Double workout Wednesday...
It was just Hannah and me, on this September 11th morning. We ran our usual 4:45AM 3-mile route, then tacked-on the two bonus miles (as in recent weeks). It's hard to believe it's been 23 years since that fateful day. Thankfully, I didn't lose any friends or family members in the terrorist attacks, but I make sure to commemorate the day out of respect for all those who were affected.


After work, I took Krystal out for 9.11 miles on the trail. Ugh, it was a buggy ride. I don't think I swallowed any flying critters, but there had to be no less than 1,327,875 bugs pelting my face for most of the ride. Yuck.


Another triple-threat Thursday
I met-up (virtually) with Deb at 4:27AM, but it was a good 10 minutes later before our walk actually commenced (I blame several technical difficulties, and probable user error on my part, LOL). Anyways, it was a pleasant 61F in Iowa, which felt chilly for only about 1/4-mile before I had to lose the 1/4-zip jacket. Four miles of walking and chatting: done.


Afterwards, I hit the basement for some upper-body strength work. Major muscle burn: check.



...and, after work, I headed over to Altoona (a 7-mile drive) for the Thursday evening group run. The group decided to run our regular route in reverse, and wowza...for some reason, everyone seemed to be in high-speed mode. I hadn't seen Rachael (in person) in several months, so her and I joined forces and somehow managed nonstop talking while (sort of) keeping up with everyone. Spontaneous tempo run: mission accomplished.



Friday - Active Recovery: 101
Although I woke up ahead of my alarm, and my body actually felt pretty good, I knew an active recovery day was in store. Thursday night’s fast 5K had felt tough at the time, and with a semi-long run on deck for Saturday, it was in my best interest to keep things low-key. Eight miles on the spin bike, a short arms/shoulders workout, and some walking (two miles over lunch) sufficed just nicely, thank you very much.


Long Run Saturday
So, I had eight miles on the schedule. Although last week's 7-miler had gone well, it had been a busy week and I had a few doubts as to whether to run the scheduled eight or just do another 7-miler. I decided to shoot for seven, and gauge things as the miles happened. In a nutshell, I was (again) surprised how smoothly things flowed. I was going to run a 4-mile loop and stop back home for hydration and a potty stop, but changed my route to give me five miles before my pitstop. I got to the 4.5-mile mark, and decided to add a short out-and-back segment, which would get me to the anticipated pitstop near the 6.5-mile stop. You can probably see where this is going, LOL. I was still feeling good, so I added a few short "bonus" detours, and landed back at my driveway just past the 8-mile mark. Mission accomplished! Friends, we all have a fitness reservoir, and it's there for a reason. I'm ever grateful how many times said reservoir has served me well, despite any (unnecessary) doubts.


…and Sunday?
There's another trail run on the running group's calendar, but I'm gonna wait and assess my situation upon wake-up. I am planning on a short pre-dawn walk, and there's a definite long-ish bike ride happening late morning, so it's not like I'll be sitting around, idle. Stay tuned! 

So yeah, this week saw a lot of action. With the IMT Des Moines 13.1 on October 21st, I’m upping my mileage to accommodate the long Saturday runs. This week saw a bonus run, with Sunday’s trail run, so there’s a marked increase from last week: 21 total miles in the running shoes. Walking was consistent with 18 miles. The biking was moderate (45 miles), and that’s quite alright with the shift in running mileage. Trying to keep everything in balance is tricky!

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. With another Iowa Hawkeye game happening on Saturday, it was only proper to be donning the black and gold. I work in an office, so graphic T’s with team logos aren’t the most appropriate (unless it’s a designated “team spirit” day). Wearing your favorite team’s colors, though? Totally cool!


As mentioned, there was another Iowa game, this one with a much better outcome than last weekend! The Hawks defeated the Troy University Trojans 38-21. A bonus to the exciting day was going to the game with my college BFF, Leslie. We live four hours apart, and don't have much opportunity to get together in person (but our texting game is strong, LOL).


And, just like that, another week is all wrapped up and tied with a bow. Somehow, we're already halfway through September, the equinox is almost here, and there's another full moon arriving in a few days. Time is flying!

How did your week play-out? Great mileage? Tough workouts? Did you do anything to commemorate September 11th? Got any upcoming races? Did your weather feel like summer again?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

22 comments:

  1. Nice job on that long run! It's always nice when our body surprises us in a good way.
    You still have 5 weeks until the half marathon - you're well on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catrina ;-) I'm feeling pretty good thus far, but I still have some longer runs to knock-out. I always get a little paranoid at this stage in the training, when I can't afford any phantom injuries to show up, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Gah to wet socks!!! Eeek!!!

    I was wishing that I had more time to ride my bike, and then it dawned on me that I could and should be riding for my morning workouts. So I went out around the neighborhood one morning this week and loved it. It was chilly though...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it gets really chilly on the bike when the temps aren't "warm." Another reason I really hate seeing summer vacating the scene...

      Delete
  3. Great job hitting your 8 miles! Even with your unanticipated tempo run in the mix, sounds like you're feeling strong. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling alright, over all. Just hoping all continues to go smoothly as I approach race day.

      Delete
  4. Time always seems to fly by this time of the year. Congrats on your longer run- you are right on track for your half

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a great week with a lot of fun and a lot of runs! If you do another trail run I want to see pictures of your trail.
    Go Hawks! Baylor also won this week- life is more fun when your team wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes it's MUCH more fun when our teams win! This trail was really pretty (and I expect it will be very colorful in a few weeks), but I was so busy watching my feet, I didn't have much opportunity to think of taking any pics (this time, that is).

      Delete
  6. Just curious, what's your preference, trail or street? I always loved trail runs, but liked the convenience of just stepping out the door to start my run rather than driving to the trial. I enjoyed being in nature when running trails, but enjoyed not having to worry about every step so I wouldn't fall when running on pavement.

    I had a great week of workouts. I'm loving the lower humidity, but the mornings are getting a little too cool for walking and cycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I still prefer pavement, for the very reason you stated. Of course, my recent nasty fall happened on a sidewalk, LOL.

      Delete
  7. You know it always feels like summer here lol! Today it's ONLY going to get up to 82ºF! Whoo!
    I can't believe it's been 23 years. I took a moment of silence in honor of the day.
    Hurricanes crushed Ball State last night. They were on a huge weather delay (I think three hours) due to storms, so I wasn't really planning to watch, but that's what was on when I sat down on the couch. Meanwhile, I'm over here like FALL HURRY IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love temps in the 80F's, but I know your humidity is much more severe than I have in Iowa (though it does get pretty sticky here, like this weekend).

      Delete
  8. Glad you had such a fun weekend! I got to watch Wisconsin get annihilated at the hands of Alabama while in Alabama. Sigh. But it was a lot of fun and you know I wore my Bucky Badger shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough watching a game like that, but it is still fun being there n person (well, sort of).

      Delete
  9. What a great week! I love the ninja jump... and as always, love that you catch up with Deb onc a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we still have a few more summer-like days ahead, so I'm holding on to every last morsel of the warmth. Maybe there will be more ninja jumping ;-)

      Delete
  10. Looks like you embraced that summer weather and made the most of it, well done Kim! love the sunset pic and great job pushing the pace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a busy week which is your norm. We have had summer return too. Isee you have gotten your speed back... I bet you will get even faster. I'm on the slowdown but I really don't mind as long as I can run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure flying critters were less fun in the moment, but I had to giggle. Weather games indeed. Thankfully we're back to fall.

    ~ Cari

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had lots of good runs this week - and yahoo on staying upright on the trail run! I haven't been on a trail run in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete