Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Who is my Ultimate Competitor?



Who should I really be competing with?

This has plagued me from Day 1 of my running "career."  All of these fellow racers toeing the line with me, all from varied life experiences, genetic lines and training regimens...are any of them actually realistic competition for me?

 

I have given this plenty of thought. After all, I have been lacing up my running shoes for almost 10 years. Here's my take on who we (realistically) should be competing with....

---Someone who has similar (if not exact) athletic ability as you.  This person (if they even exist) will be very difficult to find.  Having a similar genetic composition as you will ensure neither of you will have an unfair advantage (or disadvantage) when it comes to a long line of Olympic sprinters (or endurance athletes) to either capitalize on any natural abilities or coaching expertise. Yes, I'm playing the genetics card here. Like it or not, some runners are just more naturally gifted than others. Some can hold a 5:30 pace (easily) for a 5K, and others have to give it their all (or nearly die trying) to finish the same distance in twice the time. Neither is better (or worse) than the other, so it is foolish to compare their talents.

---Someone who has similar (if not exact) physical features as you. Genetics play into this as well. Two runners of different heights (in other words, who probably have legs of different lengths) will have to work differently...the taller one will probably have a longer stride (thus needing fewer steps to cover ground), and the shorter one will need to take more steps (but will have less "leg" weight to propel with each step). Does this all balance out? Not really (but it would be nice if it did). Also, keep in mind, being the same height does not guarantee they will share the same length of legs (not all torsos are created equal, by the way). And I haven't even touched on the body weight issue...people of equal heights quite often are not of the same weight, body fat percentage or muscle tone.

 

---Someone who has similar (if not exact) feet as you. I know, more genetics. As we are all created differently, so are our feet. And, most of us do not have feet that are symmetrical....they can vary slightly (or greatly) in size as well as shape, pronation, or arch length/height (just to name a few). This factors into how each person runs. This goes hand-in-hand with the whole running shoe thing....as there are many different kinds of feet in existence, there are just as many different types/styles of shoes to fit them. So, if you do find that one person whose feet match yours, make sure you buy the exact same brand/style of shoes, preferably from the same store (to ensure the shoes come from  the same warehouse) and on the same day (so you will have equal time in them).

---Someone with a similar (if not exact) training plan. This will be the most challenging thing to match up with someone else.  Why? Because for every runner, there is a different desired method of training. All of us are created differently, and so are our preferences. Keep in mind their running history (Have they been running as long as you, or longer?). Is this particular event one they have raced before? Did they start their training on the exact same day as you? Did they follow the same plan (same weekly miles, same speed sessions, same cross-training, same diet)? Did they encounter any injuries while training (if so, hopefully they experienced the same injuries as you), or have they been injury-free?

---Someone with a similar (if not exact) family and/or social life as you.  Kids are big obstacles (in a very GOOD way) in training for a race, as are family and social obligations. There will be times when scheduled training runs may need rescheduling due to non-training events (vacations, dinners out, children's activities, etc.).  And, let's not forget friends!  Friends are a vital part of our well-being, and they deserve our time and attention as well. If you repeatedly neglect your friends (due to a "more important" training schedule), they will not be your friends much longer. The runner who is constantly training 24/7 may have an unfair advantage over those who occasionally choose other activities, so be mindful of choosing someone whose lifestyle is comparable to yours.

 

---Someone with a similar (if not exact) competitive drive. Some people thrive on constantly trying to run faster and further than other runners, some simply enjoy the passion of the sport in and of  itself. Trying to compete with others who are not in sync with your level of competitiveness will frustrate you to no end....you will either resent the other person's constant "need" to always finish ahead of you, or (conversely) you may think the other is not taking the sport seriously.

So.....do any of these "someones" exist? Probably not. No two runners have the same experiences (in running or in life). Also, very few share the same attributes, goals or priorities in their everyday existence. Go ahead, race with other runners, but compete with yourself. Be mindful that all runners are not created equal, so they shouldn't expect equal results.  And, bottom line, run for yourself and support your fellow runners. Celebrate their victories as well as your own.  Running is a privilege, be thankful you're able to do it.


What do you think? Have you ever tried to compete (intentionally or otherwise) with someone who had different aspirations? Have you ever felt like the one being "competed against?"





11 comments:

  1. I'm forever competing against myself, my old young self that could run a 5:30 mile. I try and lure her out and dig deep to find her... I have a feeling she is long gone. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, and she also birthed 4 delightful little beauties, so she (perhaps?) has evolved into someone even better :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post. As an older runner, my goals are different than younger runners because I feel that my time window for racing is limited. That being said, I am hugely competitive with the runners in my AG only, because let's face it, a 5:30 mile will never be something I can do. But with age variables, I have been able to qualify for Boston and NYC Marathon, something I competed with myself to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Congrats on the BQ and the NYCQ, that's amazing!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I don't compete with other runners. Truly. Even at a race, I'm always running against myself. I have felt others competing with me though. There's a woman who used to comment on my blog, making remarks that she doesn't understand why she's not as "fast as" me, that I should slow down, comments about my yoga posts--"oh good I can't do that one well either"...I don't let it bother me but I feel bad that she's comparing herself to me. What's that saying? Comparison is the thief of joy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the comparison game is a waste of time because we all have different variables that we bring to the start line. Even trying for a PR is a somewhat futile effort, because we will never run the same race twice....there's always numerous factors (weather, training, injury...to name a few) that will affect our performance on race day.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this post!!!! While I know I can never ever compete with anyone but myself, I do often WISH I could compete. And to be honest at every single race I pick someone out. Someone I think I should be able to beat and I bust my ass to make sure I do. However, more times than not I have come in behind them proving that you can never ever judge a runner by looks alone. You have no idea what is driving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it well..."You can never judge a runner by looks alone. You have no idea what is driving them." :-)

      Delete
  5. I don't feel like I compete with anyone but myself to be honest. I know there are always people out there speedier and why set myself up? I like to compete with my own PR's and am happy for everyone else and their journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly don't compete with anyone. I celebrate both my speedy and slower friends, and run simply for ME! Great post, Kim!!

    ReplyDelete