Sunday, July 9, 2017

A New Normal (for Now)


Life is about taking chances, don't you think? Expanding the comfort zone? Trying new things?

Well, welcome to my new (though temporary) kind of "normal."


Sometimes, "taking chances, expanding comfort zones, and trying new things" are thrown at you with no warning they're headed your way. What to do? Make the best of your situation, acknowledge your shock, and deal with what's happening. Also, it doesn't hurt to look towards the future...you know, the "big picture."

My weekly wrap-up posts are gonna have a slightly different slant to them in the next several weeks as I recover from emergency surgery (which happened on June 29th, more details HERE and HERE if you missed out on the drama as it was unfolding).

I will not be running, therefore, I will not be tracking my weekly mileage or have any training runs or races to share with you. I will, however, still be doing my best to stay active and maintain as much of my muscle tone as possible so when I do get the green light to lace up (probably not until September), I won't have to start back at square ZERO. Well, that's my plan on paper.

Thus, here's what went down this past week...

Due to the infection that was discovered (thankfully, just a mild strain of staph...but a serious infection, none-the-less) and the slow healing of a spot on the suture site, I spent most of last week camping in a hospital room. I had a wound vac hooked up, working its magic, to assist the wound in healing. The wound vac acts like a vacuum (hence the name), "sucking" excess fluids from the wound and surrounding flesh...enabling the skin to slowly compress back to its pre-trauma state (the skin on my knee, and several inches along my IT band, had been stretched and "pulled away" due to all of the infected fluid that had built up underneath). I know, sounds kind of graphic, huh. Just be thankful I am not posting pics of the suture site...yet.
Just me and Guido.....
Since this contraption required constant monitoring, it was attached to an IV pole. It did have a battery back-up, so occasionally the nurses could unplug it and I could leave my room and walk a few laps around my floor, but I had to take the IV pole with me. (Did you know I named my IV pole? His name was Guido...and he accompanied me everywhere)


Ready to take a stroll with Guido
Monday...nothing too exciting to report. I don't do things "half-buttocks," so not only was this a sudden adjustment-to-life-as-I-know-it endeavor, it also was my turn to serve as co-hostess to the Weekly Wrap link-up! Thankfully, the timing actually worked to my advantage...being cooped up in a hospital room allowed me lots of free time to read all the linked blogs and take my time in responding to the comments on mine. See? That #glasshalffull thing does work!
Displaying IMG_1874.JPG
Blogging from a hospital bed...Yes! It can be done!
Tuesday was the 4th of July, which has always been a favorite holiday of mine. I had a been registered for a nearby 5K race, but (obviously) had to DNS it. By an act of fate (there was a lot of that happening last week), the hubby had thrown some miscellaneous running clothes into my duffle bag...and somehow my designated race outfit made it in there.
What I would have been wearing to my 5K on July 4th
My surgeon checked in with me early in the morning. The wound vac had been removed, only to be placed back on a short while later. The suture site was still draining and he wanted to give it two more days on the wound vac, then check it again to assess the situation.

Wednesday was a day I had been dreading.....the dreaded PICC line became a reality. There had been talk all along of me getting my very own PICC line (so I'd be able to administer IV antibiotics on my own after being discharged) and I was truly terrified about the entire endeavor. I was creeped out by the thought of an 8-inch tube implanted INSIDE my arm, and I was overwhelmed with the knowledge that I wouldn't have a medical professional looking over my shoulder each time I was to give myself the dose of  meds. Seriously, this was NOT what I signed up for in seeking treatment for that "simple" knee bursitis a few weeks prior.
Still in the previous day's clothes, I was introduced to Linus bright and early in the morning
Alas, the nurse who did the duty was very calm and reassuring to me, and it didn't hurt that much. A perk? They would now be able to administer my IV meds via the PICC line and were able to remove the other IV sites from my arms/hands. Since this would be another new reality thing for me, I named my PICC line Linus. He might as well have a name, right?

I may have also done a couple 1-minute side planks with Linus. He might as well get to know what we're going to be doing for the next couple weeks.


My surgeon checked in with me early Thursday morning. The wound vac was disconnected, and I ended my brief (1-week) relationship with Guido. The suture site still had some minimal draining, but if all looked well by the end of the day, I'd be able to go home that evening. 

So long, Guido. It's not you, it's me.....
...and I did! Don't tell anyone, but I rode illegally in the back seat (without a seat belt) so my long leg could stay level. #Shhhhh

Friday morning. My at-home "treatment" began with a 5:30 a.m. wake-up (which is my usual wake-up time anyways). I have to take the antibiotic vial out of the refrigerator and give it time to acclimate to room temperature before the scheduled 6:00 a.m. dose (I also have 2:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. doses as well).  Since I was already up and moving, I dropped to the floor for some (careful) stretching and did my first 2:30 forearm plank in over a week.



Throughout the day, I did some leg lifts and push-ups and a short strength session for my arms. Also, since it was Friday, I was sure to get back in my #FridayFashionFlair routine on my Instagram page. Since I have these dorky white compression sleeves (one over my knee and the other acting as Linus's blanket, keeping the PICC line protected), I might as well coordinate my outfit around them, right? 
I've been wearing a lot of blue lately...and white
The weekend was very low-key for me. No long distance runs (and no recovery runs the day after). And, no weekly mileage to report (I know, #shocker). I have been doing my daily planks since being home, and those feel oh-so-good!
With Max as my witness (though he was napping), I did my usual 2:30 plank
So, how am I doing? Overall, I'm alright. Although I am so incredibly thankful things weren't more serious, it is a miserable slap in the face that this happened. I am bitter it happened to me, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. Thankfully, the IV meds are only for a couple more weeks. Also, my surgeon told me that since this is basically a "skin-only" kind of recovery, I shouldn't have any problems with muscles being affected. I just have to be very careful the suture heals properly before moving forward. Trust me, I am not going to do anything to mess with that.

I set a few July goals in place recently. These are not only to aid in maintaining most of my muscle tone, but to also give me a few fitness incentives. I'm not good at sitting still, and these should keep me busy without putting any extra strain on my knee (and the 6-inch suture). It's tough to find exercise moves that do not involve knee-bending or water!
Displaying

I have had to make a few adjustments at home, though. For example, I'm slamming a lot of pills every morning. We're talking Zinc, Probiotics, Vitamin C, a different multi-vitamin (with minerals), and baby aspirin...these are in addition to the Turmeric, Glucosamine, and Calcium that I was already taking. I'm allowed Aleve as needed for pain. I'm starting to get some of the feeling back in the skin over my knee, so that's been a little "tingly" this weekend,  but minimal.
Ugh...I'm usually not a fan of taking so many supplements
Also, I'm sleeping on the couch for now. Believe me, it's much easier to elevate my leg on a padded armrest than a squishy pillow under layers of bedding. Of course, Max thinks he needs to keep me company instead of enjoying the other half of the bed with his Daddy.
Displaying IMG_1931.JPG

In case you missed them, here's my posts from last week:
Plot Twist!
#GlassHalfFull
Find a Way, Make it Happen

Anyways, that's what's up and happening in my world. Have you ever been sidelined for an extended period from running (or your favorite sport)? Ever have a PICC line? How about a week-long hospital stay?

I'm linking up with Christine (on behalf of Holly and Tricia) for the Weekly Wrap. Please join us!



61 comments:

  1. You don't at all come across as bitter, and you wouldn't be human if you weren't! Here's to a speedy and uneventful recovery, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! I have had so many cheerleaders sending me many, many happy sentiments. It's hard to be too bitter ;-)

      Delete
  2. You are handling this so well! Im glad you are back home and can start doing a little bit of exercise. Now I feel bad for all the complaining I did about my silly little blister! Hope you continue to improve and recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have done plenty of complaining, too, over aches and pains that seem like nothing now (but at the time, were major forces to deal with). We all do it LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm just amazed reading about everything that you have gone through this week. I agree with Judy, you don't sound bitter at all. You have such a positive outlook about everything. I hope that these next few weeks of recovery fly by for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I think just getting through July will be the toughest...getting the stitches out (this week, I hope), then off the IV antibiotics, then an additional week or so of oral antibiotics after that. It's like I will have a new "thing" each week.

      Delete
  4. You're just amazing! Your attitude is fabulous and I know it will help you recover quicker. Take it easy on yourself and maybe you will have time to take up a new hobby (cooking???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Cooking? Doesn't that require time on one's feet? I'll have to ask the surgeon about that..... ;-)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are at home now and are healing well. I know it's a bummer to not get to run, but it sounds like things could have been a lot worse. Keep up the good attitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things could have been A LOT worse, so that certainly has given me some perspective.

      Delete
  6. You're handling this with such grace. I'm sure you'll find more activities you can handle that will help you stay fit. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly! I have an enormous group of cheerleaders who have kept me smiling through all of this ;-)

      Delete
  7. Ugh. I know how frustrating this is, but all you can do is take care of yourself while you heal! The PICC line would be hard to get used to, but after my DVT I had to give myself injections on blood thinner for a week (before I could take heparin pills), and that was hard to do to! That is a distant memory, and hopefully your issues will be soon too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't think I could do the injections. This IV thing is WAY out of my comfort zone. But, as you learned, we can rise up and do tough things if that's our only option.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad that you are able to still do some things--like planks! You can do some hip work too, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hip work is tricky since a lot of it involves bent knees (clam shells, bridges, etc.). That's something I need to look into, though.

      Delete
  9. Kim your attitude is just awesome. This was one heck of a curve ball and you've dealt with it so well. Wishing you the speediest of recoveries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Yes, a major curve ball, indeed LOL

      Delete
  10. Good for you for powering through this little detour. It's always hard for someone who likes to be active to be sideline, but even though you feel bitter (rightfully so), you still are handling it very well. I hope it all continues to heal quickly. Thanks for linking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) I'm hoping it will be just a short detour. The healing process is not something to mess with #UGH

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, I'm so sorry! You definitely sound like you're making the best of it though. I've been in a similar lack of running zone and trying to maintain as much fitness as possible. It's been kind of nice to shift gears and do different kinds of workouts, but there are rough days too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will do me good to "shift gears." I do some cross-training anyways, but will certainly be upping that game now (within reason).

      Delete
  12. I love that you named your IV pole and PICC line lol! But on a serious note, glad to see that you are recovering well! It looks like you will be itching to get back in to some workouts as soon as possible.

    Do you notice that the turmeric pills have an effect? I think that would be easier to take than trying to drink it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no way I could drink the turmeric LOL I've been taking it for a couple years. I had heard it helps with inflammation (as well as other conditions). It's hard to tell if it's really helped or not, but I think overall I have had fewer "issues."

      Delete
  13. I've been slacking on my #FashionFridayFlair!

    You are amazing Kim. I see what you are doing and planing to do in the state you are currently in and it makes me ashamed of myself. I really should be doing more. You are a great motivator! Here's to a quick and pain free recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a half marathon in Vegas in November, so that's my motivator to stay somewhat active. I know the running will be tough at first, but am hoping it comes back fairly quickly by not slacking on fitness now. #gameplan

      Delete
  14. I think you have a great attitude about all of this! Sure, it's hard to swallow (all those pills too, I'm sure) and that's how any one of us would feel too...but you are taking it in stride and finding the positives to focus on! I actually had a PICC line as well once ...I had gotten an ear infection so bad that they actually put a tube in my ear (as a 35 yr old) in the office with no anesthesia. I soon learned why they knock little kids out for that little procedure! But anyway, they needed me to continue antibiotics at home to avoid a hospital stay. It is kind of scary. You're doing great girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary is right! When they first name-dropped "PICC line" I was like...WHAT? I'm NOT a medical professional, I have no training on this, I want someone "skilled" in this kind of stuff to treat me...But, it has been much easier than I'd feared. Whew! I will be glad to have it all behind me, though. I don't need this kind of confidence enhancement LOL

      Delete
  15. Max wants to be with his mommy! I hope the healing goes well, and you don't need Linus much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree...hoping Linus can hit the road in 11-12 days. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  16. This sounds miserable. I'm so sorry, friend. I'm so thankful we got to run Grandma's together, though. Please be careful and don't overdo it. I know you won't, but I had to say it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel ;-) This is certainly a new kind of "training" I had not anticipated. Kind of dumb, huh. (that word keeps coming back to me...)

      Delete
  17. Glad you are home and able to rest and recover there. Though it's nice to have hospital staff administer drugs and take care of you, there is something about being home to help you recover. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was nice to finally walk back into my house ;-)

      Delete
  18. So glad you caught it, I can't imagine how scary that would be!! Here's to a great attitude and quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was freaky scary when they told me how serious it could have REALLY been had I not sought treatment when I did

      Delete
  19. this is definitely temporary so consider yourself lucky.

    Hope you heal quickly.

    Just think about how fit your arms & abs will be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! My abs are feeling soft from all that time in a hospital bed...

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you'll still be linking up, even though you're not running right now. You always know how to keep active, it's so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle ;-) I love seeing what everyone else is doing...and I know we all experience times of struggle. Hoping my "story" can help others.

      Delete
  21. Oh my !! You have been through so much, and still finding a way to stay active that is amazing! good job!!

    I hope the rest of your recovery goes well and smoothly! A little rest is a good time to catch up on books or shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quite a bit of rest last week...back to work this morning. I do have a bit more free time since I'm not lacing up & hitting the road like usual.

      Delete
  22. Oh my goodness! I have to tell you, you are doing a GREAT job of looking at the positives in a pretty awful situation to be in! It sucks not being able to be in your normal activity, but I LOVE you are finding a temporary new normal :) Keep on inspiring with your story!! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;-) I'm trying to make the best of my situation

      Delete
  23. Ugh, sounds like a tough week! I'm glad you were able to break up with Guido and go back home though :) I'm sure it's more pleasant than the hospital. Fingers crossed that everything heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am in awe of how positive you have been through this whole process. Since your treadmill has a name, I am not surprised that you named the IV pole, but I'm glad that you were able to break up with him after your short term relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have named my suture, too...but that's not going to be revealed until he's "presentable" ;-)

      Delete
  25. Wow, what a week for you!! I've said it before and I will say it again but you have a great attitude about this whole thing. I've been sidelined once early this year and I had to make it a point to remember that it was minor and it could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being sidelined sucks, plain and simple. But, yes, this could have been a permanent thing, so I'm pretty thankful it's only temporary ;-)

      Delete
  26. I love how you are taking all of this in stride. What a great sense of humor! You are going to have to get decorative sleeves for your PICC insertion site to match your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I was just thinking of getting some colorful socks and cutting them into PICC sleeves for Linus!

      Delete
  27. I love how you still rocked Fashion Friday Kimberly! You're such a dedicated blogger! Your positive outlook is truly inspiring. I hope you will recovery from this rather sooner than later and that you will be back running in a few weeks. Your fit enough to be able to take a break from running without sacrificing much of your running fitness. You'll pick it all up in no time again! Feel better my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilka!! I'm hoping my fitness/endurance will not suffer much from this little sabbatical

      Delete
  28. Injuries suck, absolutely. But I love your attitude and perspective. It's not what you wanted, but looks like you're committed to making the best of it and staying active the best you can. And maybe the worst of the summer weather will be gone when you're back to running again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love summer running, but fall running definitely is nice, too.

      Delete
  29. It has been fascinating watching this ordeal unfold and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have dealt with it as positively as you have. I'm continuing to send lots of healing hugs your way! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. yes, please keep the healing hugs coming ;-)

      Delete
  30. You are definitely keeping a positive attitude! Enjoy the down time! Hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are a champ, your recovery has been remarkable thus far and even without running I know you will be creatively working out! Hope the suture line heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you're handling it well! I'm so sorry this is taking you away from your running routine. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete