Thursday, July 27, 2017

What's there to Runfess?


July has been a month like none other.

First of all, there was that unexpected emergency surgery that landed me in the hospital (and kept me there) for the entire first week of the month (extensive details HERE). Then, the prospect of not being allowed (or even able) to run. And let's not forget the continued IV antibiotics (three at-home infusions, everyday).

Every day has blessed me with significant progress with my recovery, though. I was discharged from the hospital on July 6th. The stitches came out on July 11th. My surgeon cleared me for speed-walking (and moderate knee-bending exercises, like squats) on July 20th. And, the PICC Line is due to be removed on Friday morning (July 28th)!

So, with all of these great milestones....what's there to RUNFESS?

The Gift of Walking
It feels so good to be out and about! Of course, I'd rather be running, but for now, walking is where it's at for me. I have been doing a lot of walking in the past two weeks, and my hamstrings and quads are definitely feeling it. I've also been doing a lot of leg lifts, which have also contributed to the sore muscles. All of this increased exercise has boosted my spirits...but I must runfess the foam rolling and stretching have kinda been forgotten. OOPS. I know, my bad.

Early Morning Miles
I'm back in the routine of early morning rising and moving! Obviously, I'm not heading our for any #5at5's (running 5 miles at 5 a.m.), but I have been walking every morning. I love getting outside before the sun has made it's appearance...but, oh gosh! I  runfess that (some mornings) it does take about 10 minutes of "thoughtful" consideration before I actually get up and get out the door.

July vs. June Mileage
Is it possible I will meet (or surpass?) my June mileage? June's mileage ended at 72 , and July is currently at 52 (with four days remaining). Just in the past 10 days or so, I have been averaging 4-6 miles of walking each day. Doing the math, there's a good chance I'll be able to crank out enough miles to at least match my June mileage. What's really crazy is that June's miles were from running and July's mileage are all from walking. I gotta runfess that it's bizarre how fast those "easy" walking miles can add up!

Reality
I'm so grateful that things didn't play out as bad as they had the potential for...but, none-the-less, I have to honestly runfess that I am still frustrated it happened. The surgery was needed to "clean and flush" the infected gunk that resulted from a spontaneous flare of knee bursitis, and left me with a 6-inch suture site (in a delicate, high maintenance area). Recovering from a non-running injury  (and not being allowed to run as a result) really sucks at times.

A Sense of Relief
It has been exactly four weeks since the surgery. I still have another month (at least) of no running action, so my fall racing schedule will not be very full this year. Although I will have to miss several favorite races, I runfess that there is a tiny little bit of me that feels a sense of relief in that there will be ZERO pressure (or ability LOL)  for any PR's this fall. When my surgeon gives me the green light to resume running, it will have to be slow and gradual. I'm good with that....if I take things slow and gradual, the odds of a full recovery will be that much greater.

So, that's what I'm runfessing this month. Gosh, it feels so good to get that out in the open!

Enough about me, your turn...Have you ever been sidelined from a favorite sport for an extended length of time? If so, were you able to stage a successful comeback? What's the most miles you've ever walked in month?

I'm linking up with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions....do you have anything to runfess?



I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0. Please join us!!



50 comments:

  1. I had a partial hysterectomy 8 years ago. I was up and running 8 weeks post-op. My surgeon was surprised but on board with it. I walked prior to starting to run, but I didn't keep track of my miles. I did do 4 miles max--1 hour is all I could stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These daily miles of mine are all cumulative...a few miles in the morning, and here and there throughout the day (with Max), and often times, there's a short evening excursion. three miles is the PR distance thus far ;-)

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for racking up so many walking miles! Your emergency certainly gives me perspective. Scary how quickly the tides can turn and thank heavens all is working itself out. The only extended time off of running I had not due to injury was after my c section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gained a new perspective as well. I'm all about the big picture now...this little detour is not gonna keep me from enjoying the journey

      Delete
  3. It's so awesome you have been able to keep up your mileage through morning walking! Your transition back to running will probably be so much easier. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping all the walking will ease me back into running fairly quickly. It feels good to be proactive and not sitting idle ;-)

      Delete
  4. You sure have a right to feel frustrated about what happened. It's hard to take something so serious in stride. All your walking and exercising will make your comeback so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to just not be sitting idle and feeling sorry for my situation ;-)

      Delete
  5. When I joined our walking group last week, I was surprised by how hard it was and how it used different muscles. You are going to come out of all of this one strong lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is not just an easy "walk" in the park. I'm not speed walking as fast as usual, but I'm not casually passing the time either. I"m telling you...my hamstrings and quads are on fire LOL

      Delete
  6. As always, glad your recovery is going so well. Taking it slow is the smart thing to do. I had surgery in February of 2014 that left a 7 inch incision across my lower abdomen. No training for me that summer...I WALKED the entire Chicago Marathon and finished just minutes under the course cutoff time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very impressive walking 26.2 miles! Even though walking is "easier" than running...it takes a lot more endurance to continue on for that kind of distance.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you are enjoying your walks. I've found walking to be quite enjoyable and very satisfying. Have a good weekend and thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO far, I have been walking "au natural" (with no music). It's been a great alternative.

      Delete
  8. You are the most amazing injured runner ever.

    When I broke my ankle, I just sat on the couch and cried..

    I predict that you will be back to peak form in no time.

    You will also appreciate running more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated running before, but I will certainly appreciate it even more after this recovery winds down and I"m able to get back in my running shoes.

      Delete
  9. There's more than one way to keep active. Glad you can walk throughout the day and keep up those miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miles really add up, especially when the dog needs to be walked anyways.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to hear the recovery's going pretty well. That's impressive that you've gotten so many miles in this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised how many miles I gotten done...and that's all in the past couple weeks.

      Delete
  11. I've been sidelined for a couple of months a few times in my life. Although it seemed like an eternity at the time, looking back -- they were really just a blip on the radar of life. I have no doubt you'll come back just as strong (or stronger!) than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe it's already been a month...there's been so much going on each week (new milestones, etc.) that I haven't had time to think about how much time still remains ;-)

      Delete
  12. I runfess that I've been so impressed with your positive attitude toward the whole ordeal and I love that you have been staying active by walking and doing other exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! It's been a great challenge finding other means to get my fitness fix(es).

      Delete
  13. I would say you've got some killer mileage for July given your injury/recovery! That's amazing, Kim. Keep on keepin' on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I know my mileage is crazy...maybe that's why my hamstrings/quads are begging for some foam-rolling time?

      Delete
  14. Even though I track my walking miles through my Garmin (or at least the dogwalks), I don't tally it. I don't actually tally my running miles, usually, other than weekly. I don't make mileage goals -- Rachel gives me my plan and that's what I go by!

    You wouldn't be human if you weren't frustrated by your situation. I had to miss some favorite races this spring due to family stuff. It is what it is and there's always next year.

    I'm not sure that you really need to foam roll for walking -- unless you're feeling sore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trust me...I'm feeling sore LOL The quads and hamstrings are on fire...

      Delete
  15. Although I've never been injured (serious knock on wood), I stopped running at 32 weeks pregnant and didn't start up again til 6 weeks postpartum - my fitness took a serious hit but I was able to surpass my pre-baby running fitness after some hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's encouraging to hear! I'm hoping this sabbatical is only for two months...

      Delete
  16. You have racked up some awesome walking miles! I think when you are cleared to run again you are going to come back stronger than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle ;-) I was surprised to add up the July (walking) miles....they were much high than I'd have thought.

      Delete
  17. Wowsers....I have been following but just didn't realize it all until reaing this.

    So sorry this has happened but so happy you have come out in the other smiling!!

    I have too many to list of my injuries but will and determination pulled me back every time!

    Amazing at the miles you have walked this month!!

    I have been mindful to take the stair more often ad think of you when I do ;)

    Continued healing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! And good for you on those stairs ;-) #climbingANDsmiling

      Delete
  18. Of course you are frustrated! Who wouldn't be? But you are doing a great job coming back and taking care of yourself. It will serve you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a strong believer in taking action with what you have instead of dwelling on your temporary limitations

      Delete
  19. I'm still very impressed with you recovery and your walking. Take the time to take care of yourself, running will always be there. It's hard not being able to run, I've been there lots in the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the longest I have ever gone without running. I definitely miss it, but the walking and other fitness stuff has been a blessing

      Delete
  20. I, too, have been sidelined on more than one occasion and it really does suck. Even when you have a great attitude and are finding ways to make the best of the situation ...the hardest part is seeing everyone else out there running and racing. But just know, that most of them have been sidelined themselves at some point and we all find our way back to our beloved running shoes.

    You're killing those walking miles and that will be of huge benefit to you when you're cleared to start easing back into running again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Having ZERO (expectations) will be a breath of fresh air. I'm not especially fast, but I do think about being "slower" as a result of all this...but, it is what it is. There are far worse things in life to dwell on, right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're doing amazingly well, Kim, and are an inspiration to us all!

    The injury that took me out of running marathons became full-blown in the later stages of the 2012 Richmond Marathon. I didn't realize the full extent of that back injury until I started training for the 2013 DC Rock 'N' Roll Marathon and had to become a DNS. I've never been able to run those kind of miles since, but it's safe to say that I was able to make a complete comeback to running. I'm grateful for every mile I run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you had something happen, but I don't think I knew the full extent of it. OUCH. I'm glad you were able to rally back ;-)

      Delete
  23. Wow! I'm super impressed with all of your walking. That's so incredible. I would mostly be curled up on the couch and barely doing the minimum. I can't imagine walking 4-6 miles a day. Is that all in one block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most I've walked (so far) at a time is 3 miles. I'm walking every morning, and intermittently throughout the day.

      Delete
  24. Your positive attitude through all of this has been so inspiring! I love following your Instagram posts. I am truly amazed at how you kept up with blogging while in the hospital. Of course, as a former PICC Nurse, I loved the PICC Line Plank post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you were a PICC Nurse! Oh gosh, the gal who did the procedure on me was SO calm and reassuring...I was totally terrified of what that would entail.

      Delete
  25. I am quite impressed with how many miles you've been getting in! What did your July mileage total wind up being?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently, I'm "sitting" at 72, and plan to add a few more to that before the day ends.

      Delete
  26. Happy to hear you are recovering well. Way to go on all the walking miles!

    ReplyDelete