Saturday, December 2, 2017

Awaken


It was another week full of adventure, fitness, and awakenings.

The weather was really out of sync with the calendar. Most days it was in the 50's by the afternoon, though it  was very "seasonal" in the wee hours (like, in the low 30's).  In keeping with my daily cardio (10-20 minutes every morning) and my running streak (running at least one mile everyday from Thanksgiving until New Year's Day), I got to experience it all.


Here's what went down this past week:

On Monday, I had nothing major on the agenda other than the 1-mile streak run to satisfy my #nevermissaMonday (self-imposed) obligation. The cool, early morning temps definitely awakened my mind and body, but they felt pleasant, and the sky was beautiful!
So what if it looks like I have ghost hands (and no arms)
On Tuesday, I met up with my friend, Barb, for a #5at5 run (5 miles at 05:00). Believe it or not, we had temps in the 50's...at 5:00 a.m. in Iowa! That may have been the warmest #5at5 since August!

All lit up and ready to roll...
It was rather chilly on Wednesday morning for my power walk through the 'hood. That was a bit of a cool and cruel awakening!
Brrrrr...
Thankfully, it warmed up, and I was able to wear capris for a 2-miler in the mid afternoon.

Ahhhh, much better!
On Thursday, I just did a quick 1-mile streak run, also in the chilly morning temps. This time, though, I pulled out my new "obnoxious Santa" fleece-lined leggings to keep me warm. As I have said prior, I solemnly swear these leggings are for running purposes only (or lounging around INSIDE the confines of my house LOL). I doubt anyone needs to be awakened by all of their busy-ness in a social setting.
Obnoxious, right?
I ventured out on Friday morning for a solo 3-mile run. Again, the temps were crazy cold, but warmed up substantially by the afternoon.
Oops...the tag is still there from the R'n'R Las Vegas race
Saturday was race day! There are not many holiday-themed races in my area anymore. There were a couple races (in Des Moines) I used to do for several years, but they no longer exist. I came across the Jingle Bell Run 5K recently, and not only is it a national event (with numerous venues to choose from in many states), but the key sponsor (for the Des Moines race) was my surgeon's office! This event benefits the Arthritis Foundation, so it's for a great cause.
there's those tights again
Barb and I dressed in our best holiday (running) attire and road-tripped the 50-ish miles to Des Moines. So, yes, those obnoxious Santa leggings had their big debut in a public setting. Overall, the race went well and my pace felt strong, but I was still humbled by the fact that my body is not quite back to where it was pre-surgery. Oh well. Stay tuned, the full recap will be posted this week.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing
The finisher medal was a nice surprise!
Sunday was such a beautiful day in Iowa! I did an easy-paced 1-mile streak run (in my new shoes...see below), and later went for an exhilarating 4-mile walk in the sunshine.
What a beautiful day to be awakened by the sunshine!
So, that's the week all wrapped up. My total (running) mileage came in at 17 miles. Noting grandiose, but just where it needs to be right now for my off-season. The daily streak runs are keeping me active enough that I really don't want (or need) any high-mileage numbers happening anyways.

In case you missed them, these are my posts from last week:
My Heart is Full
November in a Nutshell
To Streak or Not to Streak

In other news:
 I snagged a great deal on some new shoes last weekend! I continue to leap frog back & forth with Mizuno Wave Inspires and Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes. My over-pronating feet need a lot of stability, and these two brands have been great solutions for me. That said, each time they come out with a new model, there are just enough subtle tweaks that I notice a difference. I had been in the Mizuno WI's since April (and they got shelved during those three months when I wasn't allowed to run), but they just don't feel quite right anymore. I suspect my gait/form/cadence (?) may have changed a bit during that running sabbatical due to all of my excessive walking. So, I'm giving the Brooks Adrenalines another whirl. I have only done one mile in them, but they felt like heaven. Stay tuned...I'll keep you all updateted on how these work out.
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 17's...aren't they pretty?
Did you catch my #FridayFashionFlair post on Instagram? I have always been a sucker for red, and I'm seeing the buffalo plaid everywhere, on everything, and in every price range. What do you think? Yes to the red and black, or pass? Please consider joining me on Fridays...simply post a pic of a favorite outfit from the week (it doesn't necessarily have to be your Friday outfit). Use the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and tag me (@runningonthefly)....it's fun to see all of my fitness-minded friends in "street" clothes now and then.
buffalo plaid for the win!
I had a bunch of cranberries leftover from Thanksgiving and didn't want them to go to waste. So, I got out of my comfort zone and experimented with dehydrating cranberries this week. I don't own a dehydrator, so I had to go "old school" and do it in the oven. It took about eight hours (at a temp of 170), but this is what I got for my efforts. They probably could have baked a bit longer, but I'm very happy with them. Have you ever tried to dehydrate fruit on your own?
my first attempt at craisins
And, last of all, here are my December goals. Again, streaking is my main thing this month, so I'm not adding anything heavy-duty to my roster. I do need to do some work on my abs and core, though, and my hips and glutes are in constant need of maintenance.

So, that's another wrap! How was your week? Has winter officially arrived in due form, or do you have a bit of fall-like temps lingering? Have you ever switched back and forth between shoe brands? Any holiday-inspired races coming up?

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

I'm linking up with my gals, Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap. This weekly check-in is such a great place to connect with fellow fitness-minded peeps. Please join us! 


39 comments:

  1. Our temps have been kind of all over the place too. Chilly mornings but warmer days. Glad you went with the leggings for the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...I could not believe how much support the leggings got for my race day outfit LOL

      Delete
  2. i have been using my leftover cranberries in my morning smoothies. Loaded with anti-inflammation, you know!

    My Jingle Bell Run is this weekend and sadly, we won't be having the weather you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really lucked out with our Jingle Bell RUn weather ;-)

      Delete
  3. I like your Santa Tights. I have some snowman tights that are pretty loud as well and I plan to wear them to a Running with the Elves 5k this weekend. I wish mine were fleece lined though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tights are Walmart specials...don't know if they'll even last through the season, but they have served me well thus far ;-)

      Delete
  4. You had a really solid week. Look forward to reading your recap of the race. I happen to love the tights! We have had the best weather too but looks like that is about to change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather is gonna plummet soon, too. UGH! I don't want winter to arrive ;-(

      Delete
  5. I think your Santa tights are totally appropriate for public viewing during the season :) I have never tried to dehydrate fruit on my own and don't know if I would have the patience to wait on my oven for 8 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I was home the afternoon I did the fruit, so I could just hang out and check on it every couple hours or so. I finally took it out before bed.

      Delete
  6. I love your obnoxious pants!! And your vest...I'm trying to get in to wearing vests running. I don't know if it's my thing though. Can't wait to hear more about your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vests are totally my thing. I like the warmth, but they don't have the "bulkiness" that a jacket would

      Delete
  7. I love our local Jingle Bell 5k! In fact, it was my very first 5k. However, I haven't run it in years since it conflicts with PCB. Good luck as you continue the streak. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I found the Jingle Bell Run! It was fun and for such a great cause. We had amazing weather for it, too!

      Delete
  8. The weather here has been pretty "off" too - I didn't even need a jacket after work on Tuesday. Definitely odd for late November in NYC.

    I am absolutely loving your Santa tights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! My OSL's (Obnoxious Santa Leggings) got so much love on social media LOL

      Delete
  9. Those tights are very festive. I love December because I can bring out all the stuff I can only wear this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leggings have been fun! I'm tempted to get another pair (in a different pattern), but honestly probably really don't need more LOL

      Delete
  10. I love those Santa leggings! They're obnoxious, but in a good way. Congrats on your race! You may not be where you'd like to be, but after all you went through this summer, I've enjoyed watching you battle your way back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm rallying back, so I really cannot complain. I'm lucky and thankful to be able to run (almost) as fast as before (not that I ever was a speedy sprinter anyways LOL).

      Delete
  11. Those are perfect tights for a festive holiday race! Wow you sure lucked out on nice weather for it. I'm not ready for the more seasonable that are headed our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...Walmart to the rescue! I should pick up another pair of festive leggings...maybe with snowmen, so they're a little more versatile (?). I could wear those through February (or longer) in Iowa.

      Delete
  12. I haven't tried to dehydrate fruit before. I have so many cranberry recipes I usually bake something! Interested to see how you like the Brooks since I have Inspires too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worn the Brooks Adrenalines before, so I'm very familiar with them. I actually went with them a couple years ago when the new Wave Inspires were just too different from the previous model. Then, as you could guess, the Adrenalines got tweaked a bit...so I went back to the Wave Inspires LOL I just wish the shoe companies would leave their shoes "as is" and stop changing them.

      Delete
  13. I pretty much love your obnoxious Santa pants. I really need some themed running clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha...those obnoxious Santa leggings are getting so much love from everyone ;-)

      Delete
  14. Those leggings are cute! What a smart idea to dehydrate the cranberries. I never would have thought to try that. Was it pretty easy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dehydration process was easy...just a l.o.n.g. time in the oven (at the low temp). They turned out good, though!

      Delete
  15. It's nice to have an "off season" and do less mileage. I've been at or around the 20 mile mark for the last few weeks and it's been heavenly not having a schedule to follow or feeling guilty for missing a run! Give yourself time to come back- you had a while off and fitness does take time to get back to your pre surgery self! I'm sure you'll be back to where you were soon though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) I am feeling really good, and am happy with my progress. I know my body is not gonna instantly snap right back....I guess that just makes the journey that much more fulfilling, right?

      Delete
  16. Cutest race outfit ever! I love those tights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Santa leggings definitely have their own fan club LOL

      Delete
  17. I love the Adrenalines and the Inspires. I actually prefer the new 18s to the 17s in the Adrenalines, so you'll have to let me know what you think. They are just so much more comfy in the upper than the older ones. I haven't bought new Inspires in a while - the last two models weren't super comfortable for me, and I hope that the new ones are a little more my style.

    We have a ton of holiday races around here. From Halloween through New Year's, there are countless themed races, national and local, and they are really so much fun. I love dressing up and getting in the spirit of things.

    Keep up the great work! You are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wave Inspires 8's were the best model EVER....and they haven't felt quite right since. I still like the WI's, but it seems like the toe box keeps getting bigger with each new model (??). I have not yet tried the Adrenaline 18's, but these 17's are feeling nice so far!

      Delete
  18. Love those holiday leggings! So super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your ghost hands. That cracked me up! :) Good luck streaking. It's going OK for me so far. Your holiday leggings are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Major Hubs and I ran a Jingle Bell 5k last year and it was at night. It was pretty cool running through neighborhoods and around the town square at night and be able to see all of the Christmas lights! By the way, I think your santa tights are super cute ..not obnoxious at all, unless of course you wear them at a turkey trot! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I almost did the Jingle Bell run, too, only the friend I was going to run it with couldn't in the end and I had a group of ladies to run with instead.

    I like being cozy in my house at 5 am, thankyouverymuch. Luckily I have that option! Mostly our weather has been gray, cold, and windy. It's too early for that crap!

    I admire your get up & go (from my nice warm house).

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had unseasonably warm temps for a couple weeks, but the snow is back now. There are 2 jingle bell-themed races in Bozeman this Saturday, but I haven't signed up for anything yet. I'll probably decide Friday.

    ReplyDelete