Tuesday, December 26, 2017

INSPIRATION is where you find it 


How about one last dose of inspiration?

If you've stuck with me through Advent, thank you for your patience. If you're lost on what I'm chatting about, here's the details: I have been following the #AdventWord2017 challenge on Instagram, We've had daily word prompts to inspire us to post a pic related to each day's featured word.



Being a runner, most of these #AdventWord2017 posts have had a running "slant" to them (key word : most). There may have been a stray post here or there that has been non-running related, but not many.

I first blogged about #Awaken, #Journey, #Gather, #Simplify, and #Heal (HERE). A week later, I chatted about #Mend, #Focus, #Prepare, #Messenger, #Watch, #Voice, and #Wilderness (HERE). Just recently, I highlighted #Trust, #Among, #Light, #Dazzle, #Open, and #Embrace (HERE).

That leaves us with the final five words of the Challenge. and here they are:

Renew
Got cold weather? Well, I'm in Iowa, so cold weather is very much my reality this time of year. Instead of cowering inside, I prefer to open the door, step outside, and let it #renew my mind, body, and spirit.  Ironically, this word was featured on the Winter Solstice, and the temps may have been cold (and windy!), but they left me invigorated.
The temps were 29F with a feels-like of 21F
Greeting
Last Friday morning, I awoke to a sprinkling of snow. What's ironic, is this was the first snow we've seen this season. Sure, there have been a few flurries in the air, but nothing on the ground. I felt it proper to extend a proper #greeting to the white stuff. Consequently, it was all gone a couple hours later. Oh well.
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....
Child
I grew up with the Star Wars stuff, but never quite was able to grasp the story line. Well, having two of the kids home (on winter break) with all kinds of free time, we decided to have a Star Wars marathon...which made me feel like a #child again. Thankfully, I have gotten a better understanding of who is who, and how everything is playing out in the Star Wars saga...but stay tuned, we're only six movies in, and there is still much to be learned. I'm glad the kids are answering most of my questions and not making me feel like a clueless pest.
Hello, Luke...I know who your father is (and your sister, too)
Believe
Guess what greeted me Sunday morning? A fresh layer of snow! Seeing the snow made me #believe a white Christmas would actually be a reality. It was a perfect kind of snow, too, and it allowed me to enjoy a perfect run. I could feel the snow sprinkling my face as I heard it crunching underfoot. It was just me and the great outdoors...total tranquil bliss.
All is calm, all is bright
Celebrate
Lastly, the temps on Christmas morning were the coldest of the season, but the air was unusually calm. I don't think it was a coincidence. I was able to get out for a couple miles before finishing all the dinner preparations as we waited for the kids to rise and shine. A perfect way to #celebrate the start of a special day.
A last hurrah for the obnoxious Santa leggings
As a runner, it's not always easy lacing up and getting the runs done. Throw in tricky weather conditions during a busy time of year, and it can really be a time crunch (and a mind game) to make it happen. These daily inspirational words have given me a welcome distraction amidst all the craziness of the holiday season and a tolerant mind in dealing with the cold weather as well. And the running has been going well. I don't think that's a coincidence either.

How about you? Has it been a crazy holiday season in your world? Have you been able to find some quiet moments? Where do YOU look for inspiration?

**I'm linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.

29 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to find inspiration all through the season!

    PS I saw that original Star Wars movie when I was in high school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny watching the original Star Wars movie from 40 years ago (YIKES!) and comparing the special effects to the newer ones. I studied film in college, and Star Wars really was way ahead of its time...and now it's its own entity. Whodda thunk?

      Delete
  2. I was really impressed how you found such creative ways to use the daily advent words. Hope you had a fantastic and merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah!! I really enjoyed the Advent words...it gave me other things to think about during this crazy season.

      Delete
  3. That's great that you have found inspiration this holiday season. I think I speak for myself and others when I say you were a source of inspiration all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been amazed by the amount of inspiration that you found this year with this challenge. December is always such an incredibly crazy, busy, stressful month but you've helped inspire me to find some quiet moments for myself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn ;-) It's hard to stay grounded with all the busy-ness of the season....I'm glad I found these Advent words to distract me a bit.

      Delete
  5. I love how positive and uplifting you are. YOU are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geesh, thanks, Rachel. I'm blushing ;-) You're pretty inspiring yourself...especially along the course of a dumb marathon ;-)

      Delete
  6. Great job keeping up with all the advent words! An excellent way to get inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is definitely something so magical and peaceful about a run while the snow is gently falling. Tranquil bliss is the perfect description. This is probably the only thing I miss about Midwest winters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that one really awesome run in the snow...making my own footprints....enjoying the tranquility of the experience....and I'm good. Summer can come back now ;-)

      Delete
  8. This is a great list! I'm going into 2018 with one word in mind: patience. I'm hoping having that as a focus will help keep me grounded. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is a great word to focus on, in all aspects of life. Happy new Year!

      Delete
  9. This winter has been a struggle for me already. I am trying to remind myself how good I feel after running outside, but its tough to get out the door when its cold and windy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm obsessed with those Christmas leggings! Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummmm...Walmart ;-) I usually have to wear them layered over my thermal tights, but I love all the obnoxious "stuff" about them LOL

      Delete
  11. Are those running tights?? I saw some during a local race but couldn't find out if they were normal tights or running tights! I love running in the snow, but that's all. After a while, I'm ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...they're actually cheap leggings from Walmart, but they work well for the holiday season ;-)

      Delete
  12. Holidays are busy!!!! You have done a great job maintaining your streak, I have kept up, but had to take some time off for a sore hip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the streak is almost done! I have other things I need to focus on (like strength work) when January hits.

      Delete
  13. You are always so inspiring! I love all your IG photos!! Happy 2018 Kim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I'm in awe of you. Running regularly in the winter in IOWA?! I'm in Georgia, and I hate running in 35 degree weather (that's cold for us). Keep on running, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha , thanks ;-) I absolutely cannot stand the treadmill, so I'm outside most of the time (if it's not icy).

      Delete
  15. It sounds like it was a great challenge! I need to follow up on Star Wars too....I still get confused about who's who! I hear the Clone Wars TV show is really good too - my fiance was hooked! I hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete