Sunday, February 24, 2019

Let It Be



It was an interesting week.

The winter temps did their thing. More snow fell. The ice remained in scattered places. We even got rain! And I was alright with everything. It's not that I'm (all of a sudden) loving this crazy 2019 winter season, nor am I giving up on my longing for summer to return. I simply came to a catharsis of sorts this week.

Would you like to hear what it is?? This catharsis is pretty earth-shattering....

(drum roll....)


It is what it is, and I'm just gonna let it be.

As tempting as it is to continue to whine about how cold it is, or how much Milly time I've had to endure, or the record snowfall we've received ... I'm choosing to focus on what I am able to control. I cannot make the sun shine brighter, the temps remain above-freezing or the wind cease to blow, but I can smile at the fact that spring is less than four weeks from arriving. Even this unrelenting winter seems less formidable knowing it has to eventually end. Glass half full, right?

Anyways, here's what happened in my little world of fitness this past week...

Monday
Cold temps, again!  My legs were feeling a touch of the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Sorenes), probably from the race two days prior. Not feeling another treadmill run, I opted for 25 easy flights of stairs and postponed the run until after work Although the temps had remained cold all day, the sunshine was blindingly beautiful. Later, I was able to get a short 2-mile run, outside, and felt like a caged bird set free (at least until the next snow storm arrived)! The 4F feels-like temps never felt so fine!
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
Never miss a Monday...outside!
Tuesday
Rest day was on tap. I  did a 1-mile power walk (on the 'mill) before work, and 25 flights of stairs later. And that was it. Even on a rest day, I try to get in a little bit of early morning cardio (nothing more than 20-30 minutes). I don't have a lifestyle (or a job) that allows me to sit much. If I'm not walking the dog (2-3 times each day), I'm up and down my stairway multiple times (mostly due to absentmindedness) or taking early morning (or evening) walks. While I don't totally "rest" or sit idle, I do scale back the intensity of everything. That's what I have found works best for me and keeps my muscles (and my mind) quite content.
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and outdoor
post-morning power walk
Wednesday
As forecast, more snow started falling Tuesday evening and was still coming down in the early hours on Wednesday. Big surprise. Another early morning 5-miler with Milly and another #winterrebel post-indoor-workout-outside-selfie to document it. You gotta laugh about it, right? I think we've gotten well over 20 inches of snow, just in February.
Image may contain: 2 people, shoes
... 5 indoor miles at 5:00 a.m....again
Thursday
Up and at 'em, quite literally! I did 50 flights of stairs, numerous upper-body reps and push-ups before work...because why not? More importantly, because I could. Fitness is a choice, after all. With another impending winter storm in the forecast (I kid you not), I decided to do a short run after work, as well, and bank a couple outdoor miles in anticipation of more Milly time over the weekend.
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor
early morning inside + late afternoon outside = total satisfaction
Friday
With another rest day on the schedule, I did 25 flights of stairs in the early morning. Look closely, I also did them barefoot and in (somewhat) slow motion. Doing the stairs barefoot is a great way to stretch your calf muscles and your arches because there's much more range of motion.
No photo description available.
...and the nail polish matches...
Saturday
With rain in the forecast, there was potential for slick streets. I wanted to get in seven miles, and had a small window of opportunity to head outside before the rain hit. With all the treadmill miles as of late, I was hoping to run a few miles outside so I would NOT have to run the entire seven miles inside. It wasn't yet raining, but there was mist in the air and numerous puddles to navigate around (along the slush-laden streets and sidewalks). After 3.5 miles, I white-flagged the outdoor run, and made it home just as the real rain started to fall. I changed into dry shoes and socks, and did the remaining 3.5 miles on the treadmill. It's quite amazing how easy those 3.5 treadmill miles felt, probably because I had already "warmed up" with my run outside. Too bad I don't have that option for every run with Milly.
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes and outdoor
Ever so grateful that I have outdoor AND indoor options for running
Sunday
Well, with the previous day's rain (and freezing temps), the roads were not just layered in a nice ice/snow mix, we also had crazy wind gusts! All I wanted was a simple mini-cardio fix, via a walk, before church.  So it happened with Milly ((again)). Not a big deal, but I really miss getting that fresh air fix in the mornings. I also did some stairs and stepped outside for another #winterrebel selfie. Really, these outdoor pics are such a small thing, but they are quite empowering for this outdoor gal who has been stuck inside far too much.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, shoes, outdoor and nature
Lunging into Sunday morning

In case you missed them, here's my posts from last week:
A Winter Rebel...with a cause
Freezefest 5K Race Recap
Well played, Momma N...Runfessions for February

In other news:
Did you catch my Friday Fashion Flair post on Insta? Even though Valentines Day is over & done, I’m still wearing red. Hey, it’s a favorite color, so why not! Even though, it was a bright & sunny day, the temps were flirting with the sub-freezing zone ((again))... so the puffer vest was the perfect layer of warmth over my cold shoulder top (can you just see the irony?) "Fashion before function” is my mantra. Anyways, these Friday Fashion Flair posts have been going on for a few years, and they kind of serve as a gallery of outfits when I have moments of "What Can I Wear Today???" As always, I invite my followers to play along...post a pic of a featured outfit, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and give me a tag (@runningonthefly).


The stair climb challenge at work continues. As of last weekend, I have surpassed the challenge's goal of 562 flights, and am working my way towards my goal of 1,000. As this post goes live, I'm just under 800 total flights, so I'm well on track for reaching 1,000 by March 2nd. Onward and upward!

Finally, I have to give a mention to my dear friend, Barb. She's not only a great friend, but my main running companion, especially on the early morning 5-milers and long weekend training runs. She's had some knee issues in recent months, and had a meniscus tear repaired this week. The prognosis looks great, but it will be awhile before she laces up and joins me on the road. Thankfully, it happened at an optimal time with the nutzo weather we've had. Glass half full (have I said that already?).

All in all, it was a decent week in terms of running and all things fitness. Total running miles came to 16, several miles walked (with Milly), a great upper-body session and all kinds of stairs climbed. I'm thankful I was able to get outside three times (three times!) last week for some running, which gives me hope the end of winter is (somewhat) in sight.   

How was your week? Your weather? Snow? Rain? Wind? Ice? Any races coming up? 

I'm linking up with Holly and Wendy for the Weekly WrapThis weekly check-in is such a great place to connect with fellow fitness-minded peeps. Please join us!
WWSki-Orange

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

36 comments:

  1. Our weather here has been kinda crazy as well - snow, sleet, rain, sunshine, repeat, lol.

    Sending all of my well wishes to your friend Barb. I hope that she has a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter certainly has been one for the books. Odd cycles of extreme cold, ice, torrential wind, etc. Can't we just have a normal winter with snow?

      Delete
  2. Well at least you got in some outdoor running this week! It sure has been a challenging month let's hope March is a little more mild for all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!! It felt great to get outside, even for just a few miles ;-)

      Delete
  3. That's good that you were able to miss the heaviest rain on that run! Winter just isn't fun to train through. I really like going somewhere warm-er for a race, but the training just sucks. Which is why I've only done it 3 times in 10 years.

    Much of my strength training this week consisted of whacking away at the ice in our backyard (to get to the gate) and on the driveway. It was really thick since we weren't home when it fell. It was exhausting, but satisfying to be able to walk down the driveway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I did some strength training via whacking ice and heave-ho tossing it, too....then did some heavy slush scooping off our driveway after the rain stopped. It is nice to have a cleared driveway...but, yes, it was a LOT of work.

      Delete
  4. I'm proud of you for working around the heinous weather and getting it done. I think you and Milly have forged a beautiful friendship. Sorry to hear about Barb. Wishing her speedy and complete healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha ha ha...Milly and I have a beautiful friendship! Surely you jest LOL

      Delete
  5. This month has been testing the most tolerant of us--you know I'm much less apt to run inside than most. But the ice has really made it tricky! Oh well, soon we'll be complaining about the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever remember having this much ice.... total buzzkill.

      Delete
  6. Best wishes to Barb and hope she's up and running again soon - I know how important our running friends are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been running so that's less whining about the weather. This week doesn't look good either. But I do run in the cold anyway. I appreciate every step I can take outdoors.

    Looking forward to spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't change the weather, so you might as well roll with it -- just don't slip and slide with it. ;-) I'm too wary to run outside in slick conditions, but have gotten used to bundling up -- if only I could keep my hands warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of have forgotten all the bundling up stuff because it's been so long. My cold weather tolerance is a little jacked from being in side so much...

      Delete
  9. Ugh, this weather...Impressed by your continued dedication to getting in the workouts despite the weather! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know a thing or two about getting in the workouts, too, when the weather is yucky. It's all we can do, right?

      Delete
  10. I'm rolling with the weather but I'm still going to complain about. I want snow and all we are getting is a little snow mixed with a lot of ice, freezing rain and rain. It's winter in New England...I need snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly wouldn't mind the snow if it didn't have all that ice underneath it LOL It's been such an odd winter...

      Delete
  11. Hope Barb's knee is on the mend soon.
    Of course your nail polish matches! :) Just like your frames match your outfits in the collages.
    Wholly agree re: choosing how you see things. Life is too short to sweat the little things out of our control. That's the premise of this book Cozy I'm sort of reading. (I like the frame, but I'm reading two other books that grab me more)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it's better to laugh at the ridiculousness of this winter...I'll probably still be doing some whining, though, too.

      Delete
  12. Glad you are getting outside a bit! Those treadmill miles just aren't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always appreciate your glass-half-full approach! I'm so over this weather and am trying my best not to whine any more.

    Best wishes to Barb! Hope she's back running with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. there really is nothing you can do about the weather so you may as well see it for what it is and accept it and deal with it in a positive way. you've totally managed to do that!

    well done on getting closer to your own personal stair challenge goal! at the rate you do stairs you'll be there in no time!

    hope Barb recovers soon!!

    we are having chilly spring weather... I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can until the April Showers commence!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I hope Barb is ok and recovers quickly! I know you have logged so many miles and made so many memories together. Best wishes to her!

    I hope your weather warms up quickly. Our winter is pretty much over here and I'm not sorry to see it go.

    Love the red! Such fun pops of color all the time, and I think it's so great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your commitment to working out. I'm just struggling now with running - not any interest at all. Though I'm doing other activities, I miss running but have no interest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are having a very welcomed warm up this week and I'm hoping it sticks around! Winter had it's turn now lets get to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your winter rebel post indoor workout selfie. Definitely the worst weather is the ice, rain combo . . . no good for running outside!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The one day I ran outside this past week I came upon so many ice patches I thought I was going to hit the pavement, but luckily I was able to stay upright. Quick healing to your friend Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "It is what it is" that is an epiphany we all need to grasp. I also adore your fashion sense and red is ravishing in you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another strong week and well done on that stair challenge! But you are the Queen of Stairs so I'm not in the least bit surprised! Thanks for the tip on doing them barefoot - with the longer distances I'm doing I've been feeling some strain in my arches so they probably need some stretching out. Wishing a speedy recovery to Barb - I'm sure she will be back to running in no time xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was such a treat to be in TN and see flowers blooming in February and run in t shirts and shorts. Really helped me with my attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always love reading your posts and your pictures are motivating to me!! Our weather has been all over the place, but there is so much ice that I have primarily been on the 'mill!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a good realization! It didn't even hit me that Spring was so close until I read your post :) I'm definitely looking forward to it. And best wishes for a speedy recovery to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you always have something on tap for first thing in the morning! I have spring fever so badly right now, but we've got two more window of decent snow chances. One of those is tomorrow night and I'm hoping it misses us entirely!

    ReplyDelete