Sunday, September 8, 2019

Doubling Down


Doubling down. Double trouble. Double or nothing.

Call it what you will, there was all kinds of double duty going down this past week. Not only was there some major recovery happening (from Sunday's NewBo Half Marathon), but, technically, I was also coming off a "scale-back" from the previous week. Can you see the double objectives at play?

Fortunately, I made it work...

But, first things first -

Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I am so excited to host this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner). If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what all went down this past week...

Monday -  Brick recovery for #nevermissaMonday
Home for the Labor Day holiday, I tried to sleep in. I purposely set no alarms...but my body (and brain) still were awake and alert before 6:00. I did stay horizontal, though, until about 7:00, which was no easy feat.  I biked out to Arbor Lake (about two miles), ran three miles, then rode back home. Easy peasy, though the gravel portion of the trail was a bit of a challenge on my tired legs.
Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

Tuesday - double biking for the (active recovery) win
I have been doing 10-mile rides on Tuesdays, as a means of being active while the running shoes get a day off. I putzed around long enough, though, that there wasn't enough time for a full 10 before heading to work, so I settled for seven.
Image may contain: one or more people, bicycle and outdoor

Later, after dinner, the temps were pleasant as the sun was setting. I'd already taken a walk with Max, but couldn't resist heading back outside. I rode a simple five miles, around the college campus (so plenty of light, courtesy of the numerous lampposts). It was so serene, reminiscent of a summer evening under the stars. Myself, I love a cool breeze on a warm day (as opposed to a cold blast of  wind on an already cool evening), and this ride felt like total perfection.
Image may contain: shoes

Wednesday - (unplanned) double workout day
My legs were feeling recovered from Sunday's race. I met up with Barb for our ritual early morning 5-miler at 05:00. The temps were (again) cool, and we ran in total darkness. As much as I'm missing that pre-sunrise hint of daylight, the tranquility is still there. No complaints.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, shoes and outdoor

After work, I decided to get busy with a mini HIIT workout. Holy Moly, did this work me over, especially from the core-up. Either I overestimated my strength and/or stamina, or I was simply dog tired. My goal was three sets of the full workout, but I bailed after the second round (still got in 45 minutes, including 20/30-second rest periods between each 4-group circuit). I'm not sure what was the hardest...the 120 push-ups, the 2 sets of Chaturanga planks or all those bird dogs, but I was toast. Alas, a double workout on Wednesday netted me an easy day on Thursday. Glass half full.
Image may contain: 2 people

Thursday - active recovery and biking
 I woke up Thursday morning feeling like a semi had plowed over my chest and arms. It was a good kind of pain (DOMS?), but it kind of took me by surprise. Max took me for 1.5-mile walk...which took us nearly 30 minutes because he was incessant on sniffing and marking every 50 feet as we walked. Fasted cardio? Not this time LOL. But, isn't he a cutie?

The temps warmed up substantially by noon, so I took Gustavas out for 10 miles after my workday was finished. My upper body was still feeling a little weary, but my legs felt all #loosygoosey after the ride. Best recovery vice, ever!
No photo description available.

Friday - easy shakeout run
I must say, I have missed the warm and balmy morning runs (already). Friday morning, it felt like summer again. My body still felt a little tired (still DOMS'ing from Wednesday's HIIT), but three miles in the running shoes had me all energized and ready for the day. And that was before I'd had any "wake-up juice."
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor

Saturday - Yikes, that was a tough long run!
We've all had runs like these (I've actually had several, just saying). There was a 15-miler on tap. I woke up around 4:10 a.m. (a good 20 minutes before my alarm). I did some stretching and foot massaging before finally getting up. I was out the door at 5:10, with the plan to run 6-7 miles then loop back to the house for a potty break and refuel. Everything felt fine, and my energy seemed on -point...but my body seemed to be moving in turtle-mode. The temps were cool (mid-50F's), but the humidity was at 95%, so I was a saturated mess when I took my first pit stop (just over 7 miles). I drank a little Gatorade, popped a few Honey Stinger chews, and headed back out a few minutes later.  I'd planned to go five miles, and stop back for another refuel, then finish off the remaining three miles...only I decided to take a couple of detours. When I got back home (now at almost 13.5 miles), I was on the verge of crashing...so I drank more Gatorade. I headed back out and finished the remaining 1.5, and ended at 15 miles for the day. Mission accomplished, but I was totally done, physically, when I stopped my Garmin LOL I'd been sipping on water all morning, and I'd had some oatmeal before running, but my body just didn't want to move, especially in the final miles. I'm guessing my body may have still been in recovery mode from Sunday's race. Anyways, I have probably been running my long runs faster than ideal (#longlegs #longstride), so this actually was a good thing. Another glass half full. Onward!
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, shorts, shoes and outdoor
Smiling NOT because it was easy, but because it was done
Sunday - a successful recovery run (and a bike ride on tap)
I got out Sunday morning for a 2-mile recovery run before church...and it was probably one of my best recovery runs, ever. After Saturday morning's tough run, I'd gone for a short (2-mile) bike ride and had been intermittently foam rolling (and stretching) throughout the day and evening. I'm a die-hard believer in the power of a recovery run following a long run, and this one came through for me as well. The run felt almost effort-less, and I could have gone much further, but I didn't. I keep my recovery runs short and easy, and have never regretted any of them. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, shoes, tree, outdoor and nature

So, that's another week of fitness wrapped up. Total running came in at 28 miles, walking saw 9 (probably more happening Sunday), and biking had 28 (with 15 more on tap for Sunday afternoon). I took a pass on speedwork this week,  but the HIIT definitely served me well. Thankfully, I'm still feeling strong and this 26.2 training hasn't been too tough. I still have another 4-5 weeks of increased mileage before taper arrives...I might be singing a different tune in a few weeks. Stay tuned.

In case you missed out, here's what all went down on the blog this week:
Welcome to the Dark Side
NewBo Half Marathon 2019 Recap
Coffee Chat: Summer Don't Go

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair- I'm a huge college football fan, and a University of Iowa alumni gal. That said, I am not a fan of wearing athletic-themed t-shirts to the office (unless it's an actual spirit-themed work day), but I'm all about wearing the black and gold that the Iowa Hawkeyes are known for. What would you do...team shirt or team colors?  Anyways, join me on Instagram...share a pic of your Friday outfit, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and give me a tag(@runningonthefly).

Another awesome feature of the NewBo Run is access to free pics! We all know race pics aren't always flattering (or is that just me?), but once in awhile the photographer captures me with good form and a smile near the finish line.
pic from Dan Rolling Photography
And finally, Saturday's 15-miler was a tough endeavor, but had I not gone the distance I would not have seen this awesome sunrise. I'm glad I was able to finish what I started.
Image may contain: people standing, sky, cloud, shoes, outdoor and nature

So, there you have it. Another week of 26.2 training in the books, and I'm feeling pretty good.

How was your week? Any tough training runs? Any victories, on the road or otherwise?
Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

45 comments:

  1. Nice job on that long run! Stopping and getting Gatorade sounds like it was a good idea. Also I can't believe you did so many pushups! Doing only 15 would probably make me sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...yes, those push-ups were tough, but it's fun to do a bunch of them (once in awhile). Though, the last couple sets got a little sloppy...

      Delete
  2. Love that race pic and your sunrise. Sounds like you were still in recovery to me, too.

    I seem to be getting my heart rate adapted already, so I'm pleased about that: I've been able to push it a bit more which is good as I couldn't do EVERYTHING at super-relaxed pace even with no races booked in!

    I wake early naturally like you, but my new pills are making me sleep for 8 hours so I'm having to be careful to take them early enough, otherwise I have trouble waking up. A new lifestyle for me - but I am enjoying the benefits so I'll take that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking up early is both a blessing and a curse at times. AT least I'm sleeping much better in recent months with all of my intermittent fasting & 26.2 training ;-)

      Delete
  3. That Max pic! You and Marcia breaking the internet this week with those
    Congrats on a solid week
    Besides not wanting to clib 5 flights, looping past home would be a no go for me in motivation. We ran past a running group mate's place yesterday and she said if we were at 16 v 13 she might have bailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, I'd have Barb with me, and she doesn't like stopping. Without her, it was just on my own. Breaking up the long run into three shorter segments makes it seem less ominous LOL

      Delete
    2. Very true
      I found a 7/11 yesterday that I could loop past if needed on a long run, which is helpful

      Delete
  4. Great job on your long run! Sounds like you have found a sweet spot for what is really working for you and your recovery. Just do you and don't worry what anyone else says about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah ;-) You're always so sweet ;-) I am SO GLAD I have found this sweet spot with biking and recovery tactics. It's really made a difference in this training cycle!!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it funny how the body can have it's own wake up schedule no matter how hard you try to sleep in? I had that twice this week too. Nice job sticking out the long run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body just seems to wake up around 5:00-5:15 on its own accord most days, no matter how late I've stayed up the night before.

      Delete
  6. Way to push through that tough long run! You know that grit will pay off! I'm jealous of your weekday bike rides. I just can't make it work with my scheudle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The long run was just a weird one. Like I said, I didn't really feel tired (until the final miles), but my legs just didn't want to go very fast. Not a bad thing, but just weird LOL

      Delete
  7. Whew! You killed it this week! Because I didn't go to a "real football school" I'm living vicariously through my daughter. You'd better believe we were all decked out in Georgia Tech colors yesterday. Thankfully they even WON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia ;-) I's great you have an adopted "football school" now! We lived in the East Lansing area for seven years, and became MSU Spartans by default...so we kind of have two favorite Big 10 schools LOL

      Delete
  8. Another stellar week! Nice job on getting things done for your long run. And Free race pics are the best...yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the free race pics are great, especially when you actually look kind of "normal" in them LOL

      Delete
  9. Nice 15-miler. You get up EARLY, even on a Saturday. My last 15-miler was a disaster and I don't think we have time for many more long runs before MCM! I am getting worried!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! My goal was to get out there early and simply just get the run done! Besides, there was football to be watched and I wanted to be somewhat "recovered" by game time ;-)

      Delete
  10. Great job on the long run! Love the pic with Max. Thanks for hosting the link-up, I love following along with everyone's training!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great week Kim! It seems like stopping for the Gatorade gave you the much needed energy boost for that 15 miler. I like to call those runs "character building runs" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gatorade really came through ;-) Oh, this definitely was an excellent character-building experience ;-) It's kind of nice to have them from time-to-time...makes the easier run that much more enjoyable.

      Delete
  12. Wow Kim, you owned it this week! I have a feeling that good things are in store for your 26.2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! We shall see. I'm just trying to stay strong and be smart with training. The biking has really helped with recovery!

      Delete
  13. Great race picture indeed! What a busy week for you. I love how you are getting in the biking and running. I'll be getting in some more biking this week (race recovery!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"ll be really curious how my marathon goes (Oct. 27th) with all the biking I'll have done by then. This is my 8th marathon, and the first one where I consistently biked.

      Delete
  14. Sunrises make the early mornings worth it. And free race photos are the best, I think it should become more of the norm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the sunrises! I cannot imagine missing them ;-) I am seeing a lot more events offering free race pics these days...I hope that trend continues!

      Delete
  15. Great job on pushing through to get that long run done! You just keep rolling on this training cycle - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle ;-) It's been a great ride thus far (see what I did there?) ;-) Your training has been quite impressive, too!

      Delete
  16. Girl, you are one tough cookie! That 15 miler sounds more mentally tough than anything!
    I am so glad that Gustavas is still doing well with your recovery rides!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Although 15 miles is no walk in the park, it has been awhile since I've had such a challenging adventure in the running shoes. It's all good, though. It's nice to see what my body can push through...and then feel (almost) brand new the next day. Gustavas has been a great friend through this training cycle ;-)

      Delete
  17. Great job this week! I never do double workouts anymore. But its great that you have figured out the balance to get in your workouts and also recover well! My race last week had free race pics too. Its the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically don't do doubles a lot, but it's worked out well to do a couple of them each week recently. I'd rather do two workouts on a given day, and then be rewarded with a light day afterwards ;-)

      Delete
  18. What a week!! And yes, we have all had long runs like that - the worst! But, you kept at it and made it happen so good for you. And SO glad the recovery run the following day felt so good. That definitely tells you something :-) And I know I've said this before but I love that you're supplementing with cycling. It's such a great addition for runners and to have a campus close by for those fall night rides? Perfection! Here's to another good week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allie ;-) That 15-miler was tough...but you know what? The 15-mile ride (late Sunday afternoon) was far worse...crazy head wind and all the hills! I'm glad I've built up my cycling strength!

      Delete
  19. Another great week for you! I am so excited for your marathon next month. Bummer your long run didn't go exactly the way you wanted to but you still got it done and that is what matters. Oh and I also love races that give free race photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long run wasn't too bad, except for the last few miles. UGH. Alas, I was due for a bad one LOL

      Delete
  20. Oh that chest/arm pain can be so tough! You use your chest and arms for so much! As someone who struggles with upper body strength, I feel you on this.

    Sorry the long run didn't go as planned, but better to get those tough runs out of the way now!

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY upper body strength is pretty good, which is why these DOMS took me by surprise LOL Oh well...the DOMS are a small price to pay for a tough workout.

      Delete
  21. I love when races have free pics! Even if most of them are garbage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I agree...most of my race pics are garbage, so it's nice when, once in awhile, I score a decent one ;-)

      Delete
  22. Another strong week of marathon training! Great job on that long run! It's the best when a race photographer captures a good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You had a great week of training! I agree, Max is a cutie!

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete