Monday, February 21, 2022

Running Against the Wind...some thoughts


Can we talk about he wind?

I have, on many occasions, proclaimed the wind as my nemesis. 

This is not contingent on any particular season, though it's far more of an issue in the colder months.

What is it about this force of nature that is so humbling, yet empowering?

I have a few thoughts on the matter...

First of all, it can feel so bitterly cold. Truth be told, the wind is not only an inconvenience, but it can make the cold temps of Winter downright dangerous. If the air temps fall below 5F, the risk of frostbite increases dramatically (source). The stronger the wind, the colder the air temps will feel.


It can majorly jack up one's layering game. Have you ever played the "Layers On - Layers Off" game? This happens when you change directions, while running, on an especially windy day. Running against a headwind will feel much colder than being pushed along by a tailwind. The temptation to lose a layer (or two) may be overwhelming...only to turn a corner and have to put said layers back on oneself.


The wind can mess with your running route. If staying inside (on a treadmill or indoor track) isn't an option, it may be wise to map out a route that will allow for some direction changes. Periodic changes in direction will help in avoiding an extended distance into a headwind.


Running against the wind can feel exhausting. Trying to propel yourself in one direction, while the wind is pushing you in another, will take a lot more effort than running with little-to-no resistance. 


It can wreak major havoc on a ponytail. This may be a #FirstWorldProblem, but it's a major annoyance none the less.


So, yeah. While I can tolerate the cold of Winter, it's really the wind that challenges my attitude. That said, most days I will choose an outdoor run over an inside battle on the treadmill. It may be the lesser of two evils, LOL, assuming the temps aren't too dangerously low.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a perk of running with (or against) the wind...the #badass feeling of accomplishment of having survived the torture (just be thankful you were on foot and not on a bike!) After all, fighting the wind will make you stronger and may give you an advantage on race day. And, there's nothing like warming up with a hot beverage, after shedding all the layers, once back inside.

Those are some of my thoughts. Care to share a few of yours?

Do you see the wind as defeating or empowering? Have you ever taken a pass on a run (or a race) due to excessive wind?

  I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up




I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup



By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

25 comments:

  1. I haven't experienced freezing cold wind for a long time but I can imagine how hard it must be for running.
    Here in Cape Town we have strong winds (hence all the famous shipwrecks around the Cape of Good Hope), but fortunately, they are not cold. I agree, running against the wind makes you a stronger runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know all about me and my battles with the wind (remember all those windy 5K's? LOL). Even last summer, with all the biking I did, it seemed like there was just no escape from the wind either. It is what it is ;-)

      Delete
  2. The wind in the Winter is just brutal. I hate it! This is how it has been these past few days (weeks??). Happy I am not out there. But it is bad at any time (just worse in the Winter). I've had runs in which I am very exhausted after running on a windy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like we have nonstop wind from late summer until late spring....it's such a frustrating thing to fight.

      Delete
  3. I don't see it as defeating, or empowering, really! I can run in it, I already know that, I have many times. But yes to how much colder it can make everything feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can feel defeating at the moment, but often times leaves me feeling empowered after I finish.

      Delete
  4. I say there's something exhilarating about running in the wind... but I live in Florida, so it's never dangerously cold. I'm sure if I lived up north I would be complaining bitterly about it! I did grow up near Chicago so I know how evil that wind can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind can be tough in the summer, as well, but at least then it's more of a balmy breeze ;-)

      Delete
  5. The wind can make things feel much more challenging. I like to run into the wind to start and then finish wit it at my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to start with a headwind, so I can relish a nice tailwind for my finish. Sometimes that works well! I live on the north end of town, though, and more often than not, the wind is out of the north or northwest, so I usually have to fight it near the end of many of my runs. UGH.

      Delete
  6. Eeee...."ice" season is wrapping up and next we go into "wind" season. I often feel like every wind is a headwind, which can't be true but it's how I feel. There are so many times that I've wanted to do a speed workout and had to settle for a "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" effort because the wind was too strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "every wind is a headwind" theory is 100% accurate for bike riding! I have experienced it, many times, on foot as well ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm sitting here listening to the wind outside and I really hope it dies down before my run tomorrow! I am not a fan of the wind. Its probably my least favorite running condition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The wind is my least favorite weather condition, no matter the season.

      Delete
  8. I have never had experiences with freezing cold wind but I know very well how difficult running against the wind is.
    I live in a windy city where mistral and libeccio are very strong. In case I choose a sheltered route where I am not totally exposed.
    Strong wind or rain? I prefer the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...I prefer the rain, too!!! Sometimes, I get lucky and have a route with a good windbreak (buildings or trees), but that often ends when I change directions or turn a coner.

      Delete
  9. As long as the wind is at my back, I consider is a power burst for my run or walk, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does give a nice burst of power "from behind," doesn't it ;-)

      Delete
  10. It is not pleasant and makes every run harder. I try to start into the wind so when I am tired the wind is at my back. I also look for paths that are sheltered from the wind if possible.

    This has been an incredibly windy month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate the wind and somehow I always seem to be running into the wind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wind is annoying. Unless it's pushing you where you need to be.

    I always end up getting wind burned, which hurts (me) more than sun burn. No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always I commend your positive approach to life! Battling wind indeed can greatly contribute to a solid performance on race day! All that resistance training not to mention mental training as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not miss the winds off of Lake Michigan! The windburn is unplesant also.

    ReplyDelete