Saturday, January 28, 2023

Holy BRRR! Please Make it Stop!


Holy BRRR, it's been a bit brisk...

I guess it should come as no surprise that the real winter weather would eventually make an appearance. The mild January really had me hoping the calm before the storm would remain calm a bit longer, though. 

Oh well. Such is the reality of winter in the Midwest. It's a good thing I'm #IowaTough.

Before I disclose all the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

 I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



So, here's what went down this week, in terms of fitness and fun:

A chilly and windy Sunday...
After a few days of snowfall, there was even  more snow on the ground Sunday morning. The streets had been wet, so there was a very good chance there would be ice underneath the two inches of new fallen snow, so I opted for the bike in the wee hours. Garmin kindly rewarded me with a Chinese New Year badge after my 17-miler. Afterwards, I layered-up and did more shoveling, and later (after lunch) got out for a 2-mile walk. Done!


Never Miss A Monday!
It had been a hot minute (and several cold weeks) since I'd done an early morning 5K run. As they say - no time like the present! Instead of fighting the hill on my street (in the dark and in the wind), I drove to the nearby college campus and ran three loops around the central campus. The sidewalks were clean and well-lit, and I didn't have a constant headwind because I was frequently changing directions. Whew! Even in the single digit feels-like temps, it feel so good to be back outside in the pre-dawn hours! Afterwards, I had a 1-mile bike ride (warm-up) and lower-body work at my PT session. After work, I got in a very cold and windy 2-mile walk (I swear, the sun disappears on the drive home and the wind takes its place, LOL).


Not a Tame Tuesday...
The morning started innocently enough with three "miles" on the elliptical and some light arms/shoulders strength work. I got in another brisk 2-mile walk after work, then hit the Sweat Den Down Under (my basement). At Deborah's suggestion, I started a 3-week program on Peloton, which features three focused strength workouts each week. Day-1, a "push" session, was all about triceps, chest and shoulders...and WoW! When they say these workouts are meant to be worked to failure, they weren't kidding! I fitness-fess, had to skip the final set of triceps push-ups.


Double Workout Wednesday.
Tuesday evening's workout left my upper-body feeling totally trashed by Wednesday morning. My legs were craving some action, though...14 miles on the bike (the last 8-9 of which were Tabata and HIIT, via Peloton) sufficed quite nicely. I took a quick 1-mile walk over lunch (to keep up that #OptOutside steak) and was rewarded with more snow shortly after I left the house. After work, the snow was still coming down, so I hit the treadmill for a 3-mile progressive run (followed by a much-needed 1-mile walk for a cool-down).
 

An Ever-So-Thankful Thursday.
Although my #5at5 runs with Barb are temporarily on sabbatical, these #15at5  rides with Deb have been a great early morning cardio fix. The time really flies when you're chatting and laughing with a friend! Afterwards, I got in Day-2's strength session (with JJ, on Peloton)...this was a 30-minute "pull" session of back and biceps. Then, my PT gal had me on the bike (1-mile warm-up) and worked my glutes and hammies again. Yes, I had a pretty full day before my workday even began! There was another freezing cold 1-mile walk in the winter wind immediately after my workday ended. Believe it or not, I slept like a hibernating bear that night.

Friday - How about a little TLC?
Come Friday morning, I was ready for a bit of a recovery day. The morning started with 10 easy miles on the bike. Lunch featured an invigorating 2-mile walk. The evening was all about time in the comfy chair, with my feet up and and knitting needles in my hands. I was even bed (and asleep, I think) before 11:00.


Saturday? Out of WHACK.
You know what they say about the best laid plans? My plan was to do a brick workout, starting with a few miles on the bike (warm-up), then three miles on the treadmill (because it had snowed overnight and was still coming down heavily), sneak in a longer ride (back on the bike), and finish with another 3-miler with Milly. Well, dear old Milly putzed-out on me about 2.4 miles in, and we were unable to resuscitate her. She is 23 (or maybe 24?) years old, so I knew her time was coming, but I really didn't appreciate her crossing that bridge on a cold and snowy morning, LOL. The good news is I did get in some decent cycling (17 total miles and the 200K Garmin badge), and postponed the remaining running miles until later.


By early afternoon, the snow had stopped coming down. Mind you, the wind was still blowing and most of the sidewalks were a mess. Thankfully, the streets were sloppy but manageable. I was able to get the remaining 3.5ish miles done...and Garmin acknowledged more of my January efforts. Mission accomplished!


...and what's on deck for Sunday?
Well, the morning forecast is showing a lot of sunshine, but sub-ZERO temps. UGH. I need to get in Day-3 of JJ's strength program, and I know it's going to be a lower-body extravaganza. I'm thinking an early morning bike ride is my best option (as a warm-up), then do the strength workout after. I might even do a short ride afterwards (or an outdoor walk) for a cool-down. 

So, how would I rate this week? In terms of weather, two big thumbs down (LOL). In terms of fitness, a big high-5. Even though I had to do some indoor running, the runs all felt good. Total mileage, in the running shoes, was still conservative with 12 miles (but, I'm still entertaining the off-season situation for a bit longer). Walking is trying to rally-back, but the cold weather and icky streets are really making it tough (11 miles this week). Thankfully, the biking remains a major player...75 miles this week! I'm really excited to have this new strength program. It reminds me of my first few weeks doing P90X (many years ago) where everything (and I do mean everything) hurt so good. 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Is there anything more cozy than a colorful flannel shirt when the temps are chilly? Despite how light the fabric is, I'm always impressed how warm it feels. I love the color combo of this shirt with olive, navy, pink and hints of gold and burgundy. I have lots of layering options!


And we had another celebration with our little Max this week - his gotcha day, on January 24th! It's hard to believe he's been with us eight years...I can hardly remember life without him.


So, that's a "quick" summary of the past week. The mild weather of January certainly took a turn for the wicked this week. At least the increased daylight (especially in the late afternoon) has us moving in the right direction.

How did your week play out? Any favorite workouts that need mention? Any races, this weekend or in the near future? Ever have a piece of fitness equipment outright die on you, mid-workout?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

35 comments:

  1. So the big question... will Milly be fixed or replaced?? Ours is pretty old too. I hear they have a lot of new technology on them these days LOL! I would be crying tears of sadness if ours was broken but I know not everyone feels the same about their treadmill ;) Great workouts this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to get her to turn "on" last night, but I have not tested it to see if it's another fluke (she briefly came back on Saturday, for a couple minutes, before shutting down). None the less, she does need replacing...

      Delete
  2. As you recall, I replaced my TM a few years ago. Like my old mill, it doesn't get a lot of use and I have had second thoughts about replacing it. Until the past couple of weeks, tho, when it has been icy outside! Now i'm glad to have it. Looks like a good week of workouts as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Milly does need replacing but I'm torn on how much to spend, given the minimal use she gets.

      Delete
  3. You know my struggles with my old treadmill. And other appliances! Did I maybe hear a little sigh of relief that you didn’t have to gut it out on Milly? RIP Milly. I hope you are able to get those runs in outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was able to finish my Saturday miles outside, but I had to wait a good five hours to do so (it was snowing heavily when Milly putzed out on me). I can usually get my runs done outside, hence the minimal use Milly really was needed for. BUT, this is Iowa and there are a handful of times when running outside is just not possible.

      Delete
  4. Aww RIP Milly! Especially this time of year I'd be lost without my treadmill- I don't have a bike or anything so it's my source of indoor cardio. Will you get a new one?

    Happy Gotcha Day Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I could probably survive without a treadmill (since I have the elliptical, my bike, and my stairway, LOL), there are times when it really comes in handy. I need to do some research to see my options...I really don't want a fancy one, but I don't want a low-end one, either, that will not last.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I'm sorry Milly "crossed the bridge"! You've had a string of losses, first with your bike now this. Now I'm worried about my trusty mill. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known this day was coming, for a few years, but it still was a shock. We did get it to turn back "on" yesterday, but I have not tested the waters to see how long it would last. Thankfully, I'm not co-dependent on it, LOL

      Delete
  6. Big high 5 on the fitness this week. I knew you would like the split strength classes. Bummer on the tread timing! Our weather this January has been super mild although very rainy. Still can’t complain. That sweet Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The split strength classes are a great fit, though the DOMS are intense!

      Delete
  7. RIP Milly! That's rotten timing that she left you in the dead of winter. Our treadmill died during lockdown in 2020. I wasn't affected b/c the weather was good so I was running outside by then, but it put the hubs in a bit of a bind. He put a good amount of effort into troubleshooting but it was something that he couldn't fix and at the time it wasn't possible to get a second opinion. About 5 minutes later we ordered a new treadmill which took forever to be delivered but the boys got in quite a workout getting it downstairs and getting the old one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just dreading the process of taking it apart and disposing of it...assuming it really is done for good. It did come back on Sunday, but I have not tested it the validity of that.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, those strength classes sound GREAT! If I were still on Peloton I would check them out- it sounds a lot like what I've been doing these days. How frustrating about Milly though! I hate when things like that happen, right when you have a great workout planned. I'm guessing a new treadmill is in your future- I know you don't use it much, but it's almost a necessity in those Iowa winters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a treadmill is kind of a necessary evil in Iowa! I could probably get by without a replacement, but it does come in handy.

      Delete
  9. Poor Millie... she was a good and loyal friend for many years! Good job on those Peloton workouts. They sound intense! My hubby is revisiting P90X2 again and has been quite sore.

    Thanks again for the fun and chatty Thursday morning virtual bike rides. It's wonderful having that as an option for when it's too cold to ride outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the original P90X, but didn't like the "2" as much...did your husband do the original P90X as well? I couldn't believe how sore I was from that. It took about three weeks before I didn't have to deal with DOMS on a daily basis...

      Delete
  10. Do you use your ‘mill enough to replace it, or are you happy with your other indoor options? I really love my tread but you are more willing to brave the dark and cold than I am.

    I love the bright pink in your flannel shirt - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the million dollar question...I don't use it very much at all, but I definitely am glad to have it on standby in the winter. Thankfully, I do have plenty of other indoor options, but still...

      Delete
  11. Sorry to hear about Milly, what a pain! We've had some warmer temps these past few days and I'm hoping that's going to stay. I've been channelling you, going up the stairs two at a time every time I don't have laundry or a cuppa in my hand ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the stairs! My annual Fight for Air Climb is at the end of March, so I'll be adding in some focused stair work pretty soon.

      Delete
  12. Very nice job with the cycling. But what a bummer about your treadmill!! But 24 years is a long time to keep going! Are you going to replace her?
    The strength class sounds fantastic! I think it's a wonderful feeling to rep out on your strength work.
    I had a quiet week but with some highlights, especially both chest press sessions this week in the gym, and being able to go for a longer walk again - and in a weather that was totally different than yours (I feel your pain about the snow and sidewalks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, there are still plenty of snow-covered sidewalks. The snow stopped falling Saturday, but some folks still have not cleared their walkways.

      Delete
  13. so are you replacing Milly? I still don't have one and don't regret it one bit. I just may myself go outside and find a dry road or ten.

    A fun race today but a half in just a few weeks - in Fla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody is asking the same question, LOL. While I probably would be fine without a treadmill, it IS nice having one on standby. So, I need to do some research and see what's out there.

      Delete
  14. Oh no - sorry to hear Milly is done :( Do you think you'll try to get a new one right away?

    What did you think of JJ's program? I'm thinking of trying that one next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now one week into JJ's program, and I'm liking it! The DOMS (in my glutes/hammies), though, have my lower body on fire today.

      Delete
  15. I don't think I will ever own a treadmill. I just can't handle them. I know you used it a lot, though, especially in the cold. Happy Gotcha Day to Max! I have a race in two weeks. Not the one I was hoping to do, but any race is good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh contraire, I really didn't use the 'mill much (actually avoided it at all costs, LOL). BUT, it did see some action in the winter (usually less than 10 runs on it during the winter season), so I'm at odds with replacing it or just going without. Most likely, I'll try to find a replacement.

      Delete
  16. You had a great week of workouts, despite the bitter cold. BRRR. And isn't it fabulous to be able to work out with friends through various platform. I love the "picture mosaic" of you and Deb :)

    P.S. I love your flannel shirt. Great colors. Where did you get it? I might have to invest in a flannel shirt again :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the treadmill. How do you get rid of one that is totally dead? Do you have to pay someone to come take it away? Like everyone else, curious if you decide to get another when you hate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea on the disposal aspect, but I probably to need a replacement. The question is, how quickly? I really don't use it enough to justify immediate action...but it's the coldest part of the winter season, LOL.

      Delete
  18. The difference between the weather in Iowa and here is crazy! We literally haven't even received an inch of snow yet!

    ReplyDelete