Thursday, January 26, 2023

Smile! It's 'Fession Time!


...and just like that, it's time to hit the 'fessional and come clean on a few things. 

Yikes, has it been a month! 

BTW, how are we already almost through the month of January??? It seems like we were just ushering-in 2023 amidst all the requisite fanfare that besieges a new year. Things that make you go hmmm, indeed!

In spite of January being my traditional off-season, I've been riding the wave of keeping active. My running has been (slowly) on the upswing. I've been pedaling to my heart's content on the spin bike. The #OptOutside streak is still going strong. And, I have been staying consistent with cross-training. Yadda Yadda Yadda. 

That being said, I still have a few 'fessions worthy of sharing. Some things never change...

Shall we start with a big one? 
This will come as no surprise to anyone who has taken part in strength-training (or any form of fitness, for that matter): the DOMS will keep you humble and they will keep you honest. Case in point, my new strength program. My 5-day snow shoveling extravaganza (a mere week ago) was no contest for what my guy, JJ (via Peloton) had waiting for me. I am two workouts in (there's three workouts each week), and holy OUCH! Almost every muscle from the waist-up is currently on fire. Let me DOMS-fess, though, that all those muscles hurt so good! No regrets.


I don't know how it happened...
I have recently gotten out of the routine of doing early morning runs outdoors. Truthfully, I blame the cold weather, lack of early morning daylight, and potentially slick streets. This last Monday, I broke that nasty cycle. I drove over to our college's central campus and took it to the sidewalk, where I had plenty of light, clean pavement, and only intermittent headwind (since I was constantly changing directions as I ran). Let me runfess, it felt so good to be back outside in the wee hours!!


Speaking of things that make you go hmmm...
There's the iphone Health app. In all honesty, I really don't pay much attention to this (I think it came free with my phone?). Supposedly, it tracks my daily activity (though I don't have my phone on me 24/7, so I question its accuracy). I think my Garmin syncs to it, but I don't recall ever initiating that relationship, LOL. Anyways, it recently alerted me about my activity. I am a bit perplexed...it says my walking and running is down (not a surprise, given the cold season and my low mileage), but it also said I climbed more flights of stairs over the past seven days, LOL. I stair-fess that I have not done any focused stair-training in those past seven days (though I did a couple weeks ago), so I'm not sure how that statistic came to be. And, I know for a fact I do climb my stairs more than three times a day, so that "3 floors" average is pretty jacked. Even with my lower-than-usual mileage of recent, I also know I'm well above those 8-mile and 4.4-mile weekly "averages" regarding running AND walking. Anyone have an answer to that?

Moving on...
I'm still up to my elbows with yarn and knitting needles. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy knitting and LOVE the creative aspect of it. I can (somewhat) easily knit while watching Iowa or MSU basketball games or Friends reruns on the tv, so it's a great multitasking hobby. Currently, I'm close to finishing my son's "ugly" Iowa Hawkeye sweater...I have the sleeves joined to the front and back and am working my way up (and around) the shoulders. That said, I sweater-fess it will be nice to have these sweaters finished (I still have one more awaiting my attention, for the oldest daughter).



And finally...
It's no secret that I detest the treadmill. Yes, I am thankful I have a treadmill , but that doesn't mean I have to love using it, LOL. For me, a major incentive for finishing a treadmill run is the post-run selfie outdoors (trust me, the cryotherapy feels quite refreshing on a sweaty post-run body). Let me selfie-fail-fess, though, that my last two indoor runs have had me simply "selfie'ing" on the 'mill itself instead of stepping outside. At least I added a little bit of filter magic to an otherwise boring pic.


Well, there you have it! January 2023's installment of 'fessions aplenty. Never a dull moment, huh! 

How about you? Do you have anything that needs 'fessing this month? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

22 comments:

  1. I too have been skipping my zero dark thirty runs lately--I'm really afraid of slipping on black ice, My bike path and sidewalks are not well lit, so it's really unsafe. But I sure miss it! I look forward to getting back out there again.

    Love the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to get back out there more often in the early hours. At least now I still have daylight after work, so it's not all bad ;-)

      Delete
  2. I figure no one really needs another treadmill selfie so I just skip it (my choice, you do you!).

    Our weather has left the neighborhoods quite dangerous at times, my runs are super short, and my using the treadmill makes my husband very happy (plus I don't mind it).

    I'm not sure what my average daily stair climbing is, but I go up and down a lot! Like 13 or 15 times a day. Some of that is due to Bandit, who even though he has a dog door wants his treat for going out so he really wants me there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "stair climbing" feature is more about elevation than actual staircases...but I know I'm not encountering much for "elevation" at work. My Garmin beeped this morning, mid-morning" saying I'd already reached my daily "stair" goal (???), LOL.

      Delete
  3. I would also be leery of venturing outside due to black ice in the predawn hours. No one wants to fall! I do find the apple health to be very inaccurate and don’t look at it much. It does not capture the Peloton strength workouts and I am usually not wearing my garmin when I do them. The JJ split classes are serious in a good way. Glad you tried them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be working with JJ for now ;-) Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. My Garmin has a stair climber flight counter and it's totally wack. Sometimes it alerts me that I've climbed 10 flights in the middle of the morning, when at best I might have done...well 3 flights.

    Every outdoor run is a gift, but never more so than this time of year. I used to stalk the forecast each week hoping and praying that the streets would be clear and ice free each Saturday so that I could at least run outside once a week. But hey, the weather may take us down but it can't take us out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the climbing is in reference to elevation change (?), but still. I know I have not climbed the equivalent of 10 staircases just sitting at my desk at work (but it told me I had done so just this morning, LOL).

      Delete
  5. I find myself more willing to just hop on the mill lately then worry about icy trails. My mill and I have always been on good terms so it's not all bad. I don't understand the Health app either. It syncs my Pelo workouts but not all. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked my treadmill, many years ago, before I was used to outdoor running. Ever since, though, I just don't care for it (but I make do if I have to). I'll probably spending time with Milly this weekend because the weather is looking cold, snowy and windy....

      Delete
  6. JJ's strength program sounds good! I don't think there's any way to avoid the DOMS if you're really working hard. It does feel good though, in a weird way.
    Are you coming to Florida again this winter? You'll get plenty of outdoor running in then! The treadmill is much, much better than nothing though.
    Your kids are lucky- those sweaters are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the DOMS feel good in a weird (fulfilling?) way.

      Delete
  7. The app on my phone is ridiculous. The steps and mileage are off. If I care, I wear my Garmin. But i don't.

    Too cold and dark, I do all my runs outside but at lunch or after work.

    My bike is still at zero miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I don't mind the cold (much, LOL) in the dark...I think the lack of sunshine makes me expect it to be cold so it's not such a shock ;-) I'm glad I have the college campus close by for the mornings when the roads ara really suspicious.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on missing the early morning runs of late - too icy in the mornings to risk it.

    I'm wrapping up another week of Robin's split and may have to try JJ's next! I app-fess that I don't think I've ever looked at the Apple Health app - sounds wildly off the mark!

    Your knitting skills are on point - That's a great looking sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly forget about the Health app most of the time, but lately it's been sending me notifications. Maybe it's jealous of the Garmin?

      Delete
  9. I’ve been opting for my tread over dark runs. I’m just not in the mood to deal with it!

    Did you have patterns for the designs of those sweaters? They are really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a basic pattern for the sweaters, regarding the number of stitches for shaping, etc., but I've come up with the different colors and pattern placement of the motifs.

      Delete
  10. You know I hate the treadmill with a passion. Ew. I love that you are knitting and creating such cute sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slick sidewalks a good reason to skip the outdoor run for a bit. The season will be over soon! (fingers crossed.)

    What an impressive knitter you are! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knitting and Friends Re-runs on TV are my favorite :) #knittersunite

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tread-fess that I hate treadmills so much I never replaced mine when it died at the start of the pandemic! So I haven't been on one in years! Having said that, we don't get the weather you guys do so there's never a reason for me to use one. Although we have had heat wave temps the last 2 weeks but even then, the trick is just to get out earlier!

    ReplyDelete