Thursday, July 6, 2023

Ice Ice, Baby (just not in my coffee)


So, yeah. Here we are again...ready to gather over coffee, or any beverage of choice.

Most know I am not a coffee connoisseur (though I find the fragrance quite heavenly, LOL). I am a foo-foo cappuccino gal, though. Even in the heavy heat and humidity of summer, I want my "traditional" hot beverage to be - you guessed it - steaming hot. There's something about the warmth from the drink that I find quite soothing and relaxing...no matter what the mercury is showing outdoors. 

That probably comes as no surprise since I'm a heat-loving gal anyways. I guess you could say I'm the polar-opposite of Elsa: the heat never bothered me anyways, LOL... with beverages or in terms of outdoor fitness fun. 

Anyways...shall we grab our cups, mugs, steins, and/or water bottles and get the chatter underway?

I'll start by sharing my June numbers with you. Over coffee, I'd tell you my June stats are kind of crazy. It's pretty obvious my running miles tanked following The Crash on June 17th. Walking held its own. And biking? Well, it's a good thing I wasn't afraid to get back on the horse (so to speak), because the miles on the wheels were pretty epic. In fact, I'd  have to do some digging to confirm this, but the 328 miles of biking may be the most ever in a single month's time. 

Next I'd bring up the topic of my most recent rally-back. Over coffee, I express the abundance of gratitude I'm feeling with my return to running. In fact I didn't just do a few random miles...I was able to toe the start line of the Sully Freedom Fun Run 5K, on the 4th of July! My 27:41 finish time was a far cry from a PR, but it secured me a 3rd place AG medal to bring home. More importantly, it reassured me that my recovering body is (almost) back to normal. I was totally good with that!


Care for a laugh (or several)? Over coffee, I'd share the antics from the latest full moon run. Talk about your search and destroy missions! About an hour prior to our planned 9:00 full moon meet-up, Momma N unleashed some rain upon our city. Thankfully, it didn't last long, but we were wary about the lingering cloud cover. I noticed the sky was clearing, in the east, as I made my way to meet Barb and Allison. About one mile in, we noticed the super moon, the Buck Moon, rising low in the sky. It was so low, though, we couldn't find a place to take the requisite selfie that would showcase its grandeur. Every time we propped my phone for a pic, we couldn't decipher which glowing "light" was the actual moon itself or street lights, etc. Finally, we found a spot to pose for the pic, but nothing to use as a makeshift tripod...so I took one for the team, and used one of my shoes (and got my sock all wet from the rain-soaked grass). Things that make you go Hmmm.


Here's an update on the orchid. Over coffee, I'd express my (temporary) sadness over the fading blossoms of this bionic botanical wonder. My sadness is very short-term, because I noticed a new leaf forming a few weeks ago. And, how can I be sad? This orchid was gifted to me, from my son, a couple years ago for my birthday. This has been the third "re-bloom" it has gone through, and these fading blossoms have been in full bloom since early February. And, I suspect with the new leaf forming, there will be a new stem(s) sprouting, and probably more buds appearing in a few months.  


Finally, I gotta keep it real with my confusion. Over coffee, I confess that this week has had my brain so confused as to what day it actually is. All day Monday, I kept thinking it was Tuesday (don't ask me how or why, LOL). We all know Tuesday was Independence Day, so I spent the day doing fun fitness stuff with friends and family (I'll share more deets on the WRD this weekend). Wednesday, I was back to work...you know, my "usual" routine," but it felt like it was Monday (I blame the holiday). All day Thursday, I had it in my my mind it was Wednesday (again, no explanation). Typically, Wednesdays have me getting up early for a #5at5 run with Barb, and then I do the hilly bike path after work with Amy. Only this week, I didn't run in the wee hours. Instead I walked (virtually with Deb). Nonetheless, for the duration of the 15-mile ride (against a nasty 9mph NW wind), I was reminiscing on previous Double Workout Wednesdays...yadda yadda yadda...it wasn't until I got home, and was posting my post-ride pic on Insta, that I realized it was actually THURSDAY (#FacePalm). I guess that 4:30a.m. wake-up did a number on me. If I can make it to Saturday, and start all over, I think I'll be fine.


Anyways, that's what I'd be bringing to the table, if we were gathered and gabbing. 

Enough about me...what would care to discuss? Any fun stuff on the Fourth of July? Did the week throw you off kilter as well? Catch the full moon?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.

By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on placing in your age group!
    I feel this week went super fast, but I contribute that to the holiday being celebrated on Tuesday! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holiday definitely added to the fun...but I thought the week was long, LOL

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that having the holiday on Tuesday was really confusing! It did give me an extra long weekend, as Monday is my normal day off. But with my race tomorrow, I also switched up my workout schedule, so I was really thrown off!

    Glad to hear you are getting back to baseline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My strength workouts were all messed up (on different days than usual), so that was another confusing issue for my mind and body. Glad the weekend is here!

      Delete
  3. Team Hot Coffee! Also Team Love Hot Coffee In Hot Weather. I like iced coffee as well but I keep a limit on the caffeine so I don't have it very often.

    To be fair it doesn't take much to confuse me, but yes the holiday was a doozy. It doesn't help that I work for a non-US company so it wasn't a holiday for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess one has to really, really, REALLY like the taste of coffee to like it iced. I guess I'm a lost cause on that!

      Delete
  4. I am a tad mixed up on the days this week as well. Glad to hear your rally back was a successful one. The return is always so sweet! I'm typically a hot coffee drinker although we had some very nice iced coffee in Africa and Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow on the AG price — congratulations!
    The mid-week holiday messed me up for sure. I still don’t know what day it is. ;-)

    I always like hot coffee, even if I’m at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baby my orchid plants too and every time I think it is dead, I see signs of life. I also love my hot coffee even in the summertime. Just can’t get into iced coffee. Nice job rallying back so fast. I think my return to running is going to be a long process. The summer heat doesn’t help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This orchid has really been fun to watch it bloom and re-bloom!

      Delete
  7. It's funny that we both started out posts today by talking about how we still like our drinks hot, even in the hot weather! There's something VERY soothing about sipping a hot beverage in the morning.
    Anyway, I'm glad you were able to run your race! You probably have a few lingering bruises, but it sounds like the the Great Bike Incident of 2023 is truly behind you.
    I think having a holiday fall on a Tuesday confused everyone. I mixed up the days at one point as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The hot beverage in the morning is a wonderful routine!

      Delete
  8. According to my mom, I was spending Labor Day with her (that's before the actual holiday, AND she thought it was Wednesday.

    Oh no on the streetlights vs the Buck Moon.

    Congrats on your rally back race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so hilarious trying to pprop the phone (for the moon selfies), and then deciphering which "bright light" was the real deal, LOL Crazy how the moon looks so small on camera and so BIG in the sky!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your AG!

    I've been off from work all week so I've really lost track of the days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week certainly was nutzo! I hope your week has been lovely ;-)

      Delete
  10. Speed is relative... I'd be thrilled with that 5k time. So congrats and your return to running.

    It rained and was overcast - no full moon.

    I ran a race on the 4th and it was so fun (though HOT).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, speed is very relative. My 5K "average" time, though, is usually a good minute faster...but that's under ideal circumstances (and no injuries).

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your AG! That is awesome on your June stats. I am impressed with the bike mileage. I always get the days mixed up during Summer Break. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great job on returning to running and the AG win! good stuff. not surprised you bike mileage is so high though to be honest. LOL about your wet sock/ shoe as tripod hahaha! I also was 'off' on my days but that was the luxury problem of having a staycation this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 4th on a Tuesday threw the whole week off! But I'm getting back on track! Congrats on your AG! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 328!? That's amazing!!

    I love warmth as well, so I'm with you on being the opposite of Elsa, haha.

    Our orchid died but your photo is making me wonder if we perhaps gave up on it too soon...I hope not. :[!

    ReplyDelete