Monday, July 10, 2023

Sully Freedom Fun Run - 2023 race recap


Is there anything better than a rally-back race?

I guess the first rally-back run is pretty epic, too. But, when a nasty bike crash (17 days prior to race day) leaves you questioning if you'll make it to the start line...that race day finish line was all that and more.

Case in point, the 2023 Sully Freedom Fun Run 5K.

I'm no stranger to this fun small-town event. 

The Sully Freedom Fun Run 5K is an event that benefits the Lynnville-Sully High School's track and cross country teams and is held in conjunction with Sully Freedom Days, every year on July 4th.

As mentioned, I've done this race numerous times before, in 201420152016201820202021 and 2022I had to skip in 2017 (I was enjoying luxury accommodations, via a hospital bed, recovering from surgery) and in 2019 (when I elected to run a different race).

2014, at my first SFFR, along with some fellow Grinnell townsfolk

Now in its 28th year, this run truly offers something for everyone. There's the 5K, but also a 1-mile fun run and a kids' run. The town of Sully isn't very big, so the route encompasses two loops around a large portion of the city limits. And, due to the 4th of July holiday, there's also a parade following the races...which means a lot of spectators are there (staking claim on their seats for the parade, LOL) watching all the runners.


This year, the weather was pretty mild, at least by July standards. The temps were comfortable, and there was a gentle cool breeze. I had mixed emotions leading up to the race, given my healing body. It sounds very vain, but I have been able to snag an AG award every time I've run this race, and I was sincerely worried I'd be going home empty-handed. I didn't know if I'd be able to propel my body into "racing" mode having had two weeks off from running and not knowing how my lungs (and ribs) would hold up.

Then, I resigned myself to simply being grateful for just being there. First world problems, duh.

I'm ready! Let's do this!

The 1-mile Fun Run goes first, at 8:00, and the 5K follows, at 8:20. I'd driven up with Barb, and we met Allison there. We decided to do an easy 1-mile warm-up run before making our way to the start line. 

I probably say this for every race, but I'm terrible at pacing myself in that first mile (especially in a 5K). It's a delicate balance in starting off strong, but not over-doing it. I think I've gotten better about holding back (some, LOL), but I still struggle with being a victim of all the excitement and tend to run "with the crowd" without even realizing it.

The race course has us starting on the west side of the town square. As mentioned, the route takes us on two loops around the small town of Sully. We pass the south side of the town square, leading us to the eastern edge of town. The route then turns right (going south for several blocks) before we loop back (running to the northern edge of town). Eventually, there are a couple more left turns, and we find ourselves running alongside the south side of the town square as we begin the second loop of the race.

Although the morning temps felt mild (even a bit chilly with the breeze), I was glad I'd brought along my small handheld water bottle. I wasn't hoping to shave-off a few random seconds (by avoiding the water stand, stationed at the start of the second loop of the race), but I was counting on sipping water every 5 minutes, or so, to stay hydrated.

pic courtesy of Jan Conover, via the event's Facebook page


Shortly after the start of the race, I lost sight of Allison. I was able to keep an eye on Barb though...she remained about a city block's distance ahead of me for most of the race.

The first loop always seems to take the longest, but overall I was feeling good. The route is flat, for the most part, but there are a couple of very gentle inclines along the stretch that goes due north (about 1/3 of the way around, for  each loop). 

Another nice feature of the race route is the intermittent shade from the trees. Oh, and let's not forget a few token water sprinklers and hoses, positioned in a few strategic spots, along the route.

Pic courtesy of Jan Conover, via the event's  Facebook page

The second loop went better than expected. I don't think I've ever run the entire race before. I usually take a 5-second walk break, near the halfway mark, at the water station. This year, with my water bottle in hand, that was one stop I didn't have to make. Also, there's a slight incline, as we're going south, approaching the final stretch before looping the town square...I've almost always taken a brief walk break there as well. But not this year!

Even though the final "little" loop around the town square is exciting, it's always a tough finale. After all, there's three corners to turn, all within close proximity to each other.

Anyways, I made it around the square unscathed, and crossed the finish line without issue. Whew! And, as always, it felt great to be done!


My splits:
Mile 1 - 8:39
Mile 2 - 8:58
Mile 3 - 9:00
final .13 - 1:06

My stats:
Official time - 27:41
Age group - 3rd place (of 6) 
Females - 48th (of 147)
Overall - 156th (of 323)

Although I didn't really notice the heat (much) as I was running, I definitely felt it once I'd stopped running. Yikes! I made a speedy beeline to the refreshments and grabbed a Gatorade (and a chocolate chip cookie).


A fun aspect about this particular race is that I see a lot of the same people there every year. Case in point, the other two gals who placed in my age group, LOL. It's almost always the same three of us.

yes, here we are again!



top left is from 2021; bottom pic is from this year


And, it wasn't just myself who took home an age group medal, Barb and Allison did as well. Go us!

2nd place for Barb; 3rd place for Allison and myself


As for the event shirts...they're cute, but they're cotton. I probably will never wear mine, but that's not a deal breaker. I have too many race shirts anyways. I'd prefer the registration money go to the benefactors rather than pricier shirts for the participants.


So, all in all, this was a great day on so many levels. It's always fun doing this race with my friends, and there was a large showing of other runners from our town. Although my finish time was a far cry from a PR, it was still a significant victory in my rally-back from the bike crash. And, the weather was perfect (in my summer-loving opinion, LOL).

Did you do a 4th of July race? What's your preference...a big city race or a small town race? Have you ever done repeat races where you see a lot of the same runners every year?

  I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:

Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Congrats Kim! I do love a 5k and it's fun to do the same hometown races every year. I had to skip mine this year because it was so close to my trail race. It poured the entire time, so I'm glad I made that decision. Cute swag at your race and I actually like the cotton shirts to wear for sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a small town event, this one draws a good turnout! There's usually a lot of area cross country runners from the surrounding schools.

      Delete
  2. Congrats, Kim, on another great race and an AG place! I enjoy small town races more than city ones for the very reason you mention - seeing the same runners year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on rallying back with an AG award! I'm ok with big or small races, although it's actually been a long time since I've done a big race. Well, I haven't been racing much in the last few years period.

    Every race is a gift, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Kim! Yes, rally-back races always feel nice, especially if you end up on the podium!
    So funny that you were the same women who won in the last few years, too.
    I wish races would stop producing shirts that no one will wear! Such a waste of precious resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't see the need for event shirts. I know they're nice keepsakes for some, but I wish more races would give you the option (or a reduced registration price) to bypass the shirt.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on another great race, and snagging an AG placement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love local races because you see many runners that you know. But big races are great because of the excitement and the perks.

    No surprise that you did great and your pace would be a PR for many of us.

    I did a 4 miler on the 4th... pretty warm for us and I had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I like both small races and big ones for their various nuances!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your race! Especially since for a while it looked like you wouldn't be running, so it was a nice gift to get back.

    I really do love holiday races. They're such a fun way to celebrate and honor the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the holiday-themed races as well...it's fun seeing all the creative "holiday" race gear.

      Delete
  8. I don’t do too many 5k’s and I am also terrible at pacing them. Looks like you have it all figured out! Nice work out there Kim! Great comeback

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was probably not planned at all - but I love the fact that the AG winners all wore a different coloured tee of the flag! Makes for an epic photo! Well done on another solid race and glad you didn't feel the heat while running!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the race, the finish time and the podium, It's not easy to push under the July sun!
    I cannot wait for coming back to race, maybe in August.
    Difficult question: In a big city, with thousands runners, there is no problem to finish in the middle of the pack. However I prefer the small town races even if my place is always in the last pack: it depends by the few participants and the very challenging routes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, Kim! 5Ks are fun but hard to pace too. I also tend to go out too fast in the beginning. I love the July 4th race I do each year. I don't like race shirts but do keep the cotton ones. I use them as a pajama top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! Wow, that seems like a late start for a summer race- I get mad when races down here start at 7:30 (I think they should all start at 7, ha ha.) This sounds like a really fun way to start off the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on a fantastic race! It was inspiring to read about your determination and focus throughout the course, despite the heat and hills. Your positive attitude and gratitude for the support of fellow runners, volunteers and family members truly embodies the spirit of the running community.

    ReplyDelete