Saturday, July 15, 2023

Lots to Laugh About


Oh, was it a week!

Although I can't help but wonder if Momma N was playing some twisted jokes on me with the weather, I called her bluff and laughed right along with her. I mean...torrential rain and hail? Pop-up rain, mid-walk? Insane wind? Off-the-charts humidity?

And, let's not forget my willingness to test my grit (and sanity?) on a few occasions...

Before I dis on the deets, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down this week in my little world of fitness and fun:

SUNday...
The day started innocently enough with a 2-mile walk, in the 59F temps (title pic, above). My biking plans were a bit up in the air (as to how many miles and with whom), and then I got side-tracked with household stuff (and gardening stuff). Finally, I decided to head out and ride solo...to the tune of 25 miles, thank you very much. Garmin even high-5'd me with a Weekend 40K badge, so there's that.
 

Never Miss a Monday
A couple of miles walked in the pre-work hours, and a couple of miles walked during my work breaks. Then, after a 4-week sabbatical, I got in a Monday run! I met up with Barb, after work, and this was an epic endeavor because this Monday run actually felt like a real July run (88F feels-like temps)! I know, it's the little things, right? We'd both had busy weekends with races and biking, so once we hit the 3-mile mark, we walked the remaining mile back to our respective dwellings.


Tuesday - a lower-body tune-up
It's not a secret I've been slacking on focused lower-body work this summer. I blame all the biking, LOL. That said, I cued-up an intense 20-minute glutes/leg burner. I did a 1-mile walk, as a warm-up, then got to it with weighted squats, lunges (forward and reverse) and a healthy dose of squat jumps. I also added-on some arm and shoulder work, just because. More walking at work (two total miles) and a 3-mile walk in the early evening. Yadda yadda yadda.


How about a Double Ride Wednesday?
Our usual #5at5 run got rained-out. Plan B--> Stuck inside; let's ride! It had been several months (April?) since I'd been on the spin bike. I started with a 10-minute HIIT ride, added a 30-minute Classic Rock Ride (12 total biking miles), and finished with a 10-minute arm workout. It was very lightly sprinkling when I finished, so I headed outdoors for a quick 1-mile walk to cool off...only to be caught in a downpour at the turn-around. Nice!
 

The rain lasted most of the morning, but cleared by the afternoon. Amy (and her hubby) and I met for our weekly hilly bike path ride after work. The wind was its usual beastly self  (15mph headwind out of the west), and the air was horribly humid. We'd heard of red-winged black birds attacking the bikers on the path, but we'd never had any issues...until this ride. The three of us were spread out, and all three of us were dive-bombed on our helmets, LOL. I guess we can check that off our bucket lists!  


...and, as if the two rides weren't enough, I also spontaneously decided to meet Barb for a run after I'd gotten back from the 15-mile bike path ride. This run felt tough, more so from the heat than due to my tired legs. Somehow (don't ask me how) my Garmin showed negative splits for those three miles (10:13 / 10:06 / 9:55). Like Monday, once we hit the 3-mile mark, we walked thereafter. Suffice it to say I slept quite soundly that night.


Another Thankful Thursday
Following all of Wednesday's extensive antics, I knew to keep Thursday low-key, at least in terms of exertion. I "met-up" with Deb, virtually, and she ran a couple miles while I walked (four total miles). We played a bit of Show & Tell with our backdrops, LOL. After returning home, I did a short arm/shoulder workout and a couple more miles of walking (at work and while walking the dog).


Finally Friday
I had every intention of getting out for an easy-paced 2-mile run, amid the sunrise. As my tank says: Run, Rest, Repeat...but I just couldn't muster the mojo. I decided to take a pass, and catch an extra hour (or so) of snoozing. Granted, had I gotten up and gotten out the door, I'm sure I would have been energized had I done the run...but I opted for a 2-mile walk instead (an hour later). Guess what? The sun still rose and I'm pretty sure Planet Earth continued to rotate. And I had ZERO guilt taking a bonus recovery day.


A super-charged Saturday!
It had been awhile since I'd done a (somewhat) long run on a Saturday. I'd seen the Garmin 10K Weekend Badge, and that seemed like the perfect distance. You know: not too far, but far enough. I didn't get out the door until almost 6:30, but I was able to catch most of the sunrise. The Canadian wildfires blessed Iowa with some haze, so the rising sun looked red (but appeared yellowish in the pic). Overall a good run. Miles 1 and 6 were the slowest, but the other four were pretty evenly-paced.


After the run, I had time to take Max for a short walk, hop in the shower and get my biking gear in order. Mike and Amy picked up just before 9:00, and we headed west, to Waukee. It was another fun long ride on a beautiful summer day...the air were muggy, but the wildfire haze neutralized the direct sunshine, allowing for comfortable riding conditions. Total biking miles came it at 33 (and no random attacks from angry birds). What was crazy is that a lot of others had the same idea, and there was no available parking at the trailhead. Vehicles were even parked along the edge of the road due to the over-crowded parking lot. We wound up parking at a shopping center, a mile away...but that gave us a couple of bonus miles, so it was all good. 


So, how's that for a fun week of fitness and laughs? As mentioned, It did get pretty warm and muggy...but it's July. It's supposed to be hot and humid. I've also mentioned, numerous times, that it's a buzzkill just how short our summer season really is, so I'm going to enjoy as much of it as I possibly can. Anyways, this week's running was a bit mediocre, but I'll take it (12+ miles). Walking was legit, with 21 miles. And biking...need I say more?  A legit 85 miles for the win! I'm trying to stay consistent with strength work, but the recovering ribs are still not back to 100%...chest presses and push-ups simply are not happening (yet). I'm just thankful I can do most every other kind of upper-body move.

...and what's on deck for Sunday?
The forecast is showing similar temps to Saturday, so I might do an early morning sunrise ride since I haven't done one recently. Nothing grandiose...maybe an easy 10-miler(?). I'll probably get in some walking as well. I also have a jungle of weeds that need attention, so that's another probable possibility.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Friday was a hot and muggy day in Iowa. Such days call for easy-breezy dressing, hence the multi-colored top. Only, it's actually a dress that lost a few valuable inches, courtesy of the washer. I'm a tall gal (5'9), so those "lost" inches of fabric have made it too short to wear as a dress, LOL. My solution--> use a hair tie to work a little "fashion hack magic" on it.


Spotted at work this week...a butterfly that I'd never seen before. I guess it's called a Red-Spotted Purple, but I also saw pics where it was labeled a Blue Monarch. Whatever it's true name is, I thought it was breathtakingly beautiful!


Finally, on a sad note...
This next week, on July 18th, it will be the 5th anniversary of Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance (and tragic murder). I did not personally know her, but my youngest daughter did. There is 1-mile walk/run being held in memory of her. I'm not able to participate in person, but I do plan on running a mile to honor her virtually. Anyone interested in joining me? 


So, there you go! Another week of fitness and fun (and a few laughs) in the books. 

How was your week? Any significant runs, workouts or achievements that need mention? Any races?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

27 comments:

  1. You sure were busy this week! Way to stay so active with all the weather challenges. Wow 5 years since her disappearance-it is nice that the area has a memorial for her every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice that Mollie is still very much alive in our memories and tribute events.

      Delete
  2. I always feel like such a slacker when I read your posts--you never stop moving! It's so nice out and it's great to take advantage of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Just know the day may come when I may not have the ability to be as active...I'm taking full advantage of everything right now ;-)

      Delete
  3. You're always great at listening to your body, Kim -- no, no one ever died from an extra recovery day when they're as active as you (quite the opposite!).

    Beautiful butterfly. We have one called the Karner Blue here (but I haven't seen them) that are supposedly pretty rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy ;-) I really struggle with rest days...I know I need them, but my body doesn't "feel" like they're needed very often. When I DO feel the effects of all my activity, though, I know to pay attention to it.

      Delete
  4. How funny that we both talked about Garmin badges this week in our posts. It wasn't until earlier this week that I realized that you have to sign up for some of the challenges to earn a badge. I thought they were just given at certain times like Global Running Day, etc. LOL

    That Red-Spotted Purple butterfly is beautiful. We have blue butterflies here and I just checked and they are native to Virginia as well - thank you for teaching me its name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always glance through the new badges at the start of each month. I "accept" the challenges of the ones that I have interest in (generally all the biking, running, and walking steps ones). They're great extra motivators!

      Delete
  5. You had a great week! I am not spontaneous about riding my bike outdoors, so I never manage that on week day.

    That butterfly is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky that I have several close-by options for weekday riding. They're not always on the hilly bike path, but there are a few out & back rural roads, that have minimal traffic, that work well for mid-sized rides (10-25 miles).

      Delete
  6. Awesome week Kim! Lower body strength feels more intense than upper to me! That sounds like a great 20 minute class though. That butterfly is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Lower body always feels more intense than the other. And, more often than not, I feel it the following day, LOL.

      Delete
  7. Great job on the workouts this week! You are sure taking advantage of the summer days and getting those biking miles in. Very pretty butterfly! My daughter is raising one monarch chrysalis right now. I don't think we will get to see the butterfly emerge though because we are going out of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving all the outdoor biking! SO glad it's a significant part of my fitness arsenal!

      Delete
  8. Wait, how did you have 59 degrees AND 88? i can't even fathom wearing long sleeves at this point. But it sounds like you had a great week- lots of runs and rides, and I actually forgot about your injury until you mentioned it. Sounds like it's healing up very well, and you're almost back to 100%!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was 57F yesterday morning (Tuesday), so that's even colder. It's crazy here!

      Delete
  9. Wow great week Kim! You've recovered nicely! Hard to believe it's been 5 years since Mollie's disappearance - so sad. It's nice to see that she's being remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's hard to believe it's been five years! Her town, nearby, does a great job memorializing her.

      Delete
  10. Great varied week, Kim. Don't you love all the (random) Garmin badges? I am always happy when they pop up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Garmin badges are fun! Although I'm pretty self-motivated, the badges are nice little reminders to keep moving!

      Delete
  11. all in all a stellar week Kim! I hear you on the hot and muggy in July-ness. Honestly we all know it's like this (here too) and we all deal with it how we can. You are doing your best too especially with the rib situation. What a gorgeous butterfly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely would prefer a little less muggy-ness, but I'll take that any day over the ice and wind chill of winter.

      Delete
  12. Another great week. You are great at getting in all the things you need, and you should be super proud of that. That butterfly is gorgeous. I will definitely get a mile in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good week with different activities. Brava!
    10 km, considering the heat, at the moment are the perfect distance for me too. Even if late I've learned to listen to my body,
    Beautiful butterfly, this year I haven't yet received their visit. Pollution? Heat wave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm probably doing another 10K on Saturday...just enough to get some distance, but not too much of a time commitment.

      Delete
  14. Awww- I love that you included Molly in your post. I have to tell you that living in farm country, ever since her death, I am hyper aware of my surroundings when I am running. She is always on my mind when I go on my runs.

    ReplyDelete