Thursday, October 26, 2023

Falling Into Some 'Fessions


 ...and just like that, we're back at the 'fessional.

You know how it goes...the sun comes up, the sun goes down. Weeks pass. Things happen. And we get the opportunity to 'fess-up and move on. 

It's all good.

Here's what I've got to share this month... 

First off, let's chat about the crazy weather in recent weeks. Earlier this month, we had a fake fall (or an Indian Summer, if you will), with very hot summer-like conditions. These temps felt amazing (IMO), and they lasted for a good 10 days in Iowa. Then, the temps plummeted to early-winter feels-like nonsense. Just this past week, we've rebounded back to summer-like balmy breezes and warm air. This weather roller coaster has been a little unstable, and unseasonal at best. I weatherfess, though, that I'm in no hurry for the real fall to arrive, or to stick around, because what follows is my least favorite season.

yes, 92F at a football game!

On that same thought, it was 64F at 5AM, Thursday morning, when I was running (virtually) with Deb. Yes, it's late October, and it was almost 20-degrees warmer in Iowa than it was in Virginia. I'll runfess it loud and clear - it felt great!

ahhhh, it feels like summer!

Most of you have probably heard about my two recent races, and how I missed the mark with both of their distances. The IMT Des Moines Half Marathon was long (13.29 according to my Garmin), and the Spooky Sprint 10K came up short (6.12, due to my making wrong turns and missing turnarounds on the haphazard course). No doubt some of this was on me, but there were other factors at play as well. Truthfully, I'm alright with everything. I racefess, knowing my pace rewarded me with fast finish times at both races (a near sub-2:00 for the half marathon, nonetheless) was good enough.  

9:05 pace equals 1:59:05 (for 13.1 miles)

I've devoted the month of October to daily Coretober workouts. Usually, I'm good at finding short workouts, via the Peloton app, to satisfy this daily fix. As much as I love most things Peloton, I Pelofess that the daily search-and-destroy task of finding new workouts was getting to be a (small) burden. Alas, about a week ago, I had the revelation that all core workouts really count, whether I have an instructor guiding me through the routine or I simply do the moves on my own. I know, duh! Whew, was that liberating!

Coretober...

Finally, I gotta bikefess how much I miss being outside on my bike! I did a long ride on October 1st, and then a shorter post-workday ride on the 4th...and I've been "stuck" inside ever since (I blame the cold mornings and psychotic wind). I don't mind using the spin bike, and I'm truly grateful to have one in my household, but it doesn't come close to the exhilaration of being outside. Sigh. I know, another first world problem, right?

I miss my rides with Krystal

So, there you have it. The October 'fessions are done, and my soles have been cleansed (so to speak, LOL). I can move on to November and face what's next. Onward!

Enough about me, how about you? Any burdens that need 'fessing, fitness-related or otherwise?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

15 comments:

  1. I'd agree that both of your races were "plenty good" as well! I am loving these crazy warm days and having the heat turned off all week. People are saying Indian summer but technically that doesn't happen until after we've had a good frost. We've had patchy frost but not one that kills everything. That said, the mosquitoes lately are relentless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're getting our first real frost overnight...temps are showing 30F for morning. BRRR! Ironically, I have not seen any mosquitos this year...not complaining, LOL!

      Delete
  2. You have had some great racing this month!

    The weather has been all over the place here - we expected to hit 80 tomorrow! I'm happy because it helps to keep my renovation project moving forward, but you know how much I love fall days. Per usual, Mother Nature needs to make up her mind lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature is on drugs, plain and simple, end of discussion. I'd love some of those 80's this weekend, but it's looking sub-freezing here, and I heard there may be some of the white stuff (which shall not be named) on Sunday...

      Delete
  3. Well, selfishly I don't want it to be too warm up there, because we can't get another cold front until you do. But, I feel you 100%. When I lived up north I would take 92 degrees any day over winter. Yes, I've been doing daily core as well, without a class. It is nice to just do your own thing! I do miss some of those 5 minute core classes on Peloton though- short, but intense and I always felt like I got a good workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I know so many core moves (as I'm sure you do too), I could lead my own class for hours ;-)

      Delete
  4. Daily core is great and yes all core workouts count. My old trainer used to say, all workouts are core if you do them correctly. I do think they are pretty easy to find via the app w the filter. You could always do that core program they have w Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think to use the filter (my bad), but I'm always trying to fins new classes, too. I did the core program with Emma almost two years ago (I think I did two different ones, actually). I should go back and repeat Olivia's program; I liked hers much better. Too many options!

      Delete
    2. How can you not use the filters?? That is key to efficient stack-building. ;-)

      Delete
  5. The weather is just wacky. I need my cooler mornings back. Core work is great. I get some at the gym, but I'm debating looking for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle cool mornings, but I definitely prefer the warm ones ;-) It's just too stupidly cold in Iowa...

      Delete
  6. We’ve had crazy weather. It dipped into the 30s overnight this week, but is going to be 80 tomorrow. I am a bit worried for the MCM runners on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the crazy hot weather in the forecast! At least they won't have the torrential rain of 2019, LOL!

      Delete
  7. I concur... I think you did great in both your races.

    our weather has been wacky - 80 yesterday and 40 tomorrow... I prefer the 80... Finger crossed for 50 next weekend and NO rain!!

    ReplyDelete