Saturday, October 7, 2023

Bankin' the Taper


Taper. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

With the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon one week out (as this post goes live), this past week was Week-1 of my taper. I use the word taper quite loosely, though, since I'm kinda/sorta always in somewhat of a 13.1 condition (at least this time of year). That being said, this week I made a concerted effort to take the taper seriously in terms of scaled-back mileage, lighter strength-training, and extra ZZZ's.

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with how things played out...

Before I dis on the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down in Week-1 of Taper:

All things summer-like on Sunday
Still in the midst of summer-rewind temps, I got out for a refreshing 2-mile recovery run (after a slight sleep-in...#taper LOL). About halfway through my run (title pic, above), I got a text from Amy asking if I wanted to join her and her hubby for a ride. Well, I don't need to be asked twice. I made it back home, took a very quick shower and we had my bike loaded a short while later. It was a typical hot summer ride, with a menacing 12mph headwind after our turn-around...but I loved every minute of those 24.5 miles. 
 

Never miss a Monday
Sunday's hot ride had left me feeling a bit sleepy, so I allowed another (slight) sleep-in and got in a 2-mile walk before heading to the office. After work, I debated about doing an easy-paced 3-mile run or if I should attempt one more final progression run. We all know I love the heat, but the 88F temps were pushing my comfort level. I decided to go for it anyways. When I saw the 9:47 split for the first mile, I had doubts if I could pull off two progressively faster miles, but I remembered I was totally in my element with the weather conditions. Everything came together, and the second (9:14) and third (8:46) miles had me absolutely giddy upon finishing. I'm so grateful the heat is (usually) my friend, and this run gave me a huge oomph of confidence!


A very typical Tuesday
I usually keep my Tuesdays low-key, and this was no exception. The day began with a 2-mile walk in the early morning darkness, followed by some upper-body strength work (outside, still embracing the heat). There also was a 1-mile walk at work and two more walking miles in the evening. And that was it. Easy-peasy. Low-impact for the win.


Double workout Wednesday
I met-up with Barb and Allison for the weekly #5at5. We had a beautiful clear sky and nearly perfect 63F temps. There were a couple of 1-mile walks at work as well.


After work, Amy and I met for an in-town ride. Although the route was relatively easy, we did have double-digit wind to fight for much of those 14 miles (it's a good thing we're well-acclimated to those conditions, LOL).


Thankful Thursday for the win
I've said it before, but I'll say it again...busy early mornings make my day. Case in point, the weekly cardio hours with Deb, which are usually followed by bonus fitness fun. I kept my three miles evenly paced (and somewhat "progressively slower" with splits at 9:58 / 10:01 / 10:06), and the 2-mile cool-down walk even required a jacket (50F temps). Afterwards, I did my first Barre workout in a few months (long overdue, just saying) and some light upper-body strength and core work.


A nearly freezing Friday
Granted, I saw this coming, but Holy Brrr, Batman! Friday morning greeted Iowa with temps in the mid-40F's...you know, only a 50-degree drop from the the heat of a few days prior. I made it out for a chilly 2-mile walk and barely beat the rain. As the day wore on, the wind increased to 22mph, and the temps climbed to a staggering high of 51F. Totally not my gig!


After work, I was craving some fitness, but had ZERO desire in heading outside. My solution? The spin bike! Although I sacrificed the last of the daylight by being inside, I was nice and toasty for 16 miles. I'm not sure what my Garmin was thinking, though...I must have been moving my arms quite dramatically because I swear I never left the seat of my stationary bike. 


Simply sensational Saturday
On a whim, I decided to postpone Saturday's longish run to Sunday (with the hope of slightly warmer/less windy weather). I still wanted to get outside and log a few miles, so I cued up a Guns N' Roses run on Peloton (not the best idea for keeping my pace conservative, FYI). Just a 5K distance, in the 43F temps (with a 37F feels-like), but in a new pair of shoes. Dang. What is it with new shoes that make you feel like you're flying???


...and what's on deck for Sunday?
As mentioned, there will be a moderate run (I'm thinking 6-7 miles, max) in the morning, and probably some walking as well. Temps are still gonna be chilly, but seasonal (though slightly warmer than Saturday), so there may be a short bike ride in the afternoon hours.  

Anyways, this was a good week. After the previous week's 30+ miles of running, this week's 16 felt just right. Walking wasn't as stellar, only 19ish miles for the week, but not a deal breaker. Biking also was fairly conservative, with 54 miles, but given the fact that I'm in taper mode, I'm totally fine with that as well. Strength work was mainly upper-body focused (other than Thursday's Barre workout), and I'm doing daily core workouts this month (I'm calling it Coretober). Feeling good, feeling fine!

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Well, I had to bring out the puffer vest for the first time this season, but at least it's in an appropriate color for this Hawkeye fan. This may have been the first day, in a long time, that I had to succumb to actual shoes instead of sandals. 


Garmin predictions.
I do not play around with most of the bells and whistles on my Garmin, but I saw this little feature this week. Hmmm, Garmin has pretty lofty predictions for me! Although I have come close on some of these, all of these predicted finish times would be PR's. We shall see what's in store for me, next weekend, on the Des Moines streets.

Finally, we all saw the drama with the Twin Cities Marathon cancellation a week ago. It's nice when other marathons rise up and show support to the running community. I know the IMT DSM site crashed a few hours after the TCM announcement, due to being inundated with registrations coming in, but it was later restored. This post made me smile...I love the sense of humor in the midst of a frustrating situation.


So, that's the latest and greatest in my little world of fitness. Onward!

What's happening in yours? Any races on the roster, this weekend or upcoming? Did your weather turn suddenly cold as well? Do new running shoes make you feel like you're flying?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

31 comments:

  1. Another lovely active week, even if you're tapering. Proper shoes indeed! I've put on tights under my summer yoga trousers this week (that's a prelude to fuzzy-inside trackies then those with tights) and layered up for parkrun yesterday. Have a good second week of taper! (Lyzzybee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning's run, in only slightly warmer temps, really felt good. Gosh...could it be that I'm already acclimating to the cooler temps???

      Delete
  2. Yep, there's nothing better than new shoes! RIght now i have an embarrassing amount of shoes, lol...

    Enjoy your taper! And let's see you prove that Garmin app right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really wondering how accurate those Garmin predictions are...I've put it out there, so we shall see ;-)

      Delete
  3. I need to get a new pair soon - my Garmin just let me know I reached the max on mine! Lol to your stationary bike workout. I'm also not enjoying the cold that just arrived and hoping that it warms up a little again soon before winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the cold weather was coming (duh, October in Iowa), but it was so extreme after such an unseasonably hot heat wave.

      Delete
  4. Yay for taper time!

    Nooo, I don't want to have to start wearing my winter running and biking gear yet! I'm afraid I'm going to freeze up in Vermont next week since it's been so warm here and I haven't had any cold weather acclimation.

    Your Garmin stationary bike map looks like a few of my basement workouts have recently. Your Garmin usually behaves better than mine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Garmin has never showed a map for my indoor rides...I was SO surprised it showed up this time!

      Delete
  5. 40s is a little cold for me, but I would take it! Still summer here. I'm glad the temps in the midwest dropped in time for the Chicago marathon.
    Sounds like a great taper week for you! I hope the weather cooperates for your longer run today, and I'm excited about your upcoming race- I agree with Wendy, prove Garmin right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Today's run, at an "early" 7:00 (after a late night) went well. The temps were slightly warmer than yesterday, but everything felt great (the run, the legs, and the weather).

      Delete
  6. Looks like you are in great condition for your half next week. My bet is you hit that Garmin time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really feeling ready, but the Garmin has me a bit scared (in a good way, LOL).

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you are ready for a great Half — maybe you will live up to the expectations of your Garmin. :-)

    Don’t you choose indoor cycling for your indoor rides? That way it won’t try to track you.

    That t-shirt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have an indoor biking mode on my Garmin (unless I just have not yet discovered it?). I usually have to edit my indoor rides and add the distance after the workout. It has never showed a map before for any of my indoor rides like that because the GPS has never been triggered. I'll have to do some researching on this...

      Delete
    2. Upon further reflection, I realized my Garmin DOES have an indoor cycling setting, LOL. I haven't used it in quite awhile (because I've been outdoors), that I'd forgotten to scroll further to find it. My bad! Rest assured, that won't happen again!

      Delete
  8. I believe in your Garmin! I predict good things for next weekend;-) Enjoy the race! I'm counting on Iowa to play nice with a crisp, calm, fall day to reward all of the folks who had their race cancelled last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks, girlfriend ;-) We shall see if Garmin is being too eager for any PR's or if it's on-point, LOL.

      Delete
  9. I have lots of shoes and I almost bought another because I want to try it out..

    Your taper is more than most people do... lol

    Can't wait to see how you do... I'm sure it will be awesome! Hopefully good weather and you have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of retired shoes I need to donate. I keep a lot of the old shoes and wear them for walking or just putzing around (and sometimes for strength-training). The race expo, this coming weekend, usually has a donation bin, so I plan to unload some shoes there.

      Delete
  10. I do love new running shoes & it's been a while! You are definitely ready and fingers crossed for a great race for you.

    I definitely enjoyed the temps this morning -- but Bandit won't eat early so I didn't get out for a while. Which is nice still about 50 when I did get out! Totally my jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the cooler temps for running, even though I still much prefer the warmer temps. Those fall temps, though, are chilly for walking, and are sometimes freezing for biking. Brrr!

      Delete
  11. Hopefully you will be closer to your Garmin predictions than I was!! I hope it's a great race day for you. Enjoy the taper week! Will the new shoes be your race shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think these new shoes will be with me on race day. They're the same shoes I've been wearing for some of my longer runs (Brooks Adrenaline -22's), just in a different pretty color. That Garmin prediction is a bit scary!

      Delete
  12. Nice work on those progressive miles. In 88F heat no less. That's impressive.

    I always chuckle about the Garmin GPS when used indoors, it just doesn't know what to do with stationary bike workouts. Can't you set your Garmin to indoor bike though?
    The predictions are always quite lofty (it has me 20 min faster for the HM than the PR I just set last weekend LOL), but I take this with a grain of salt. Aspirations is what I call them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is an indoor cycling setting, which I had forgotten about since it's been several months, LOL.

      Delete
  13. Tapering time is the best!
    Trust your Garmin and enjoy the Half!
    Here it's always warm but the heat wave is in the past!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we aren't cold, but it's certainly not as oppressively hot anymore! Love the puffer vest. I am all about super early busy mornings, too. They set the day off right. That tshirt is hysterical! A good sense of humor is the cure for so many wrongs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the taper! And I hope the Garmin is right :) Love the Des Moines shirt, how creative.

    ReplyDelete
  16. New shoes are always a nice bonus! I think it's great that Des Moines stepped up to accomodate so many TC runners - that whole situation was such a mess.

    ReplyDelete