Saturday, September 30, 2023

Summer's Extended Stay


Summer has been booked for an extended stay, and I couldn't be happier!

Just when I had pretty much accepted that fall was setting up homestead, this past week rewarded me with a summer weather encore. The mornings were still cool, but not as cool as they had been recently. The afternoons, though...ahhh! Pure bliss!

This past week also had me approaching the taper phase of my prep for the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. There was a lot of fitnessing going on, and plenty of sweat equity banked. And I was loving every minute of it!

Before I disclose all the summer-like deets, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down this week in my little world of fitness, frolics, and fun:

A Sunday run like none other...
The Mollie Tibbetts Memorial Run was the main fitness venture on deck for the day. This took place in Brooklyn, IA (about 20 miles east of my hometown of Grinnell). Barb, Allison and myself met up with Nikki there, and the four of us chatted as we ran the hilly 5.5-mile route. Not sure how we managed a 9:49 pace on all those crazy hills, but oh well. I got out for a 2-mile walk, mid-afternoon, and that was it for the day. My legs were shot and I was exhausted.


Never miss a Monday...
Typically, I do my recovery runs on Sundays (following the typical Saturday long runs), but that didn't happen this week. Instead, I intended for Monday's run to be a couple miles of easy-does-it recovery running. Well, you know what that say about the best-laid plans, LOL. The first mile was very easy-peasy, but I could feel my legs coming to life the further I ran. The second mile (#oops #again) wound up being much faster than it felt (#facepalm)...so, another progression/negative-split run, by default. I did stop, after the second mile, and walk the remaining mile back home (for a cool-down), so there's that. We got in our usual two miles of walking at work (during our morning and afternoon breaks), and I walked an additional three miles in the warm summer-like temps that evening.


Take-it-easy Tuesday (for real, this time)...
The day started with a major "burned breakfast" (my arms and shoulders, that is), and a quick 1-mile walk before heading to work. Just one walk at the office (one mile, mid-morning), and then a couple more miles walked after work. And that was it.


Double workout Wednesday...
I met-up with Allison and Barb for the weekly #5at5, and it was an eerie fog fest at that early hour. The temps were mildly cool in the morning (61F), but warmed up nicely by mid-morning. Two more 1-mile walks at the office in the bank.

After work, I was craving a bike ride, but didn't have the self-imposed pressure to hit the bike path anymore (#happydance). I kept the ride local, for 14 miles. This was the first time I really noticed how low in the sky the sun is now, in the early evening hours. Being in town, there are a lot more trees and buildings for the sun to disappear behind. Ugh.


Triple threat Thursday...
On tap: Another (virtual) meet-up with Deb, on another foggy morning. I started with a 3-mile run (with a much easier pace this time, 10:21) and then finished the "cardio hour" with a 2-mile cool-down walk. Next, I hit the dumbbells, for some glutes/legs strength work (yes, in my kitchen, LOL). The temps were absolutely wonderful (hello again, 80F's!!!), so we did our usual walks at work (two total miles for the day). Then, that evening, it was another full moon 4-miler (see below). Yes, that was 11 total miles on foot.


A Friday fallout...
After two very early mornings (both with 4:25AM wake-ups), and 18 total miles logged on foot, my body was ready for a serious recovery day. I got in a 2-mile walk before heading to the office, and the usual walks at work. I'd thought of going for a bike ride after I got home because the temps were fabulous (90F), but the wind was insane. I had ZERO desire to hibernate in the basement, on the spin bike, so I took a pass on cycling. I did a short walk with Max and called it good.


Long Run Saturday...
I met-up with Allison and Barb at 6:00. I was contemplating 10 miles, but with 19.5 miles already for the week, I was already feeling fatigued before I even left my driveway. Like most long runs (for myself, at least), the first 3-4 miles always reaffirm just how tired I really am. After passing the 5-mile mark, though, I eased into autopilot mode. We had perfect weather (a balmy summer-like morning, 68F), so I really was in my element. Allison split-off around the 7-mile mark, and Barb and I continued on. As we were approaching the 9.3-mile mark, just before we'd be parting ways, I had a light bulb moment. Since I was so close to the 10-mile mark, and was feeling good, why not just go for 11 miles? So I did! I haven't run past 10 miles since DAM to DSM (early June), so this was a significant mental and physical conquest. Afterwards, I did an easy 7-mile bike ride, to flush out the legs, and then it was on to Kinnick Stadium for some Hawkeye football!
 

...and what's on deck for Sunday?
The 90F heat is continuing, so I'll for sure be spending some quality time outside. Tentatively, I'll probably do a short recovery run in the early hours, and some walking. If the wind plays nice, I may do a long bike ride as well. Stay tuned...

So, this was quite a full week of fitness! Running topped the 30-mile mark (the Garmin says 30.6), which is the highest weekly mileage these legs have seen in a long time. Walking was decent, with 22 miles. Biking had a very conservative week (21 miles), and that's alright considering all the mileage on foot. I'm really happy with the 11-mile Saturday run; that'll usher me into a nice taper for the DSM 13.1 (Oct. 16th). I'm going to keep with the upper-body strength work, and go easy on lower-body stuff, these next two weeks. Onward!

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. We all know I'm a Hawkeye fan. I had this free t-shirt with a neat logo (it says "IOWAVE," a merging of the words Iowa and Wave), but I didn't like the ill-fitting crewneck or awkward too-short "long" sleeves. So, what's an art geek to do? I cut out the shoulders, shortened the sleeves, and cut it into a V-neck. I even tied some of the cutting scraps onto the sleeves (resembling bows, LOL). Presto! A little bit of a funky upstyle to an ordinary t-shirt.


As mentioned, there was another full moon run this week. These have really gotten to be a fun monthly ritual. Technically, the full moon officially happened Friday, but we did our run an evening early. It still looked pretty full to us, LOL.


So, another week of fitness and fun is done. I know it's the fall season, but I'm loving the summer weather conditions at the moment. The forecast is showing more heat this next week, though not quite as hot. I'm still good with that!

How did your first week of fall play out? Any great workouts that need mention? How's your weather been?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

28 comments:

  1. Nice job on your weekly runs, especially the 11-mile run. You're ready for your half!

    Our weather today was glorious and it's supposed to be really nice most of next week.

    I love your t-shirt hack, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! The 11-miler really felt good (after I got past those first few miles).

      Delete
  2. I read that the Twin Cities Marathon forecast is really hot and some people are looking to switch to Des Moines but sounds like Iowa is hot too! Great job getting in those sweaty miles Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on Facebook that the DSM website crashed because so many people were registering this morning...I hope it all got straightened out!

      Delete
  3. Wow, 90s? We're hitting 80 today, which is just fine with me. I think we're going to be warm most of the week. I am enjoying the cooler mornings, though. Nice week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a fun return to summer this weekend. It was crazy hot at the game yesterday (well, at the tailgate festivities, at least), and today's bike ride was a bit balmy (even in the 12mph wind).

      Delete
  4. We are still Fall like -- which would be fine without the incessant rain (and mosquitoes) but that will change. Thankfully not to 90s!

    Great job on all your fitness this week! You will definitely be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I feel ready, but can't believe it's already two weeks out!

      Delete
  5. You did have a full week. Sounds like you are more than ready for your half race. Enjoy your warmer weather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so much respect for your early mornings! Getting up twice at 4:25am would absolutely kill me! Nice job with that all that running, too!
    Will you start tapering next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess it's a taper for these next two weeks, LOL. I really don't follow much of a training plan, other than to increase the long runs each week (with a few random scale-back weeks in there). I am looking forward to a "short" 6-7 miler this next weekend ;-)

      Delete
  7. I thought of you when I saw the full moon this weekend! We were at the amusement park and it was a perfect glow for the night. That's a creative idea for your t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full moon was so huge...from Wednesday through last night. We saw it at the Iowa game, and it looked beautiful, glowing over the Children's Hospital ;-)

      Delete
  8. You're having Florida weather! Nice job on the 11 miler- you're ready for your race. I love the "Iowave" shirt! I've seen people do all sorts of cool things to shirts like that, but I have no clue how to proceed- maybe I'll look it up on YouTube. I have a long sleeve Baylor shirt that I never wear because... long sleeves in Florida... not sure what I was thinking. Maybe I can "fix" it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I fixed-up my shirt! It was such an awkward fit (IMO), that it needed some upstyling or it would have gone in the donation pile.

      Delete
  9. I’m glad the memorial race was a good one — tough but you never shy away from tough!

    I’m glad you didn’t burn your toast on Tuesday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memorial run is always a nice tribute, and the route is tough! I've heard that Mollie ran this route almost every day, so she was #IowaTough too ;-)

      Delete
  10. This morning my workout started at sunrise and I had the pleasure to run under a beautiful full moon!
    Good job on the long run, you are ready for the half marathon.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stefano! The full moon has lingered for a few days here as well...it was up the entire time we ran yesterday, for all 11 of those miles!

      Delete
  11. Weather has been perfect here in NorCal this week.... definitely cooler, almost fall like but still plenty warm and sunny during the day. It could stay like this for a little while. We even got a bit of rain on Saturday.

    You had a great week! Way to go on the long run... have a good taper phase. I always love the taper, although it also always gets me nervous for race day. I don't know why. I know better LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to Taper! Last week's 30+ miles were enough, LOL.

      Delete
  12. I've missed my early mornings - today is the first time I've woken at 6 and not gone back to sleep once I knew my pill had gone down properly (I had some work to do with an early deadline so had no choice). It's warmish and clear today but definitely autumn. Lovely pics and activity for you and love your crafty t. I just recently accepted I won't be making a quilt out of old Microsoft tshirts (his) and race ones (mine) and photographed then donated them for rags! (Lyzzybee).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have So MANY (too many) shirts from races...I just can't part with them, but most of them fit me weird. I need to just let them go...

      Delete
  13. The first week of fall has been wonderful, for both of us, it seems! You are so ready for your upcoming race (and beyond!). Can't wait to read about it, and can't wait to see what you do with your shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to my race, but I'm also looking forward to having the finish line behind me. I'm really hoping for nice (warmish) weather on race day.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on that 1 miler and all the other miles... you are more than ready!!

    We had fall and now it feels like summmer... not complaining. It won't last but I am sick of all our rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful we haven't had much rain (though we do need it). Our summer-like fall is about to come to a crashing halt this weekend...brrr!

      Delete