Thursday, September 28, 2023

Fall's First 'Fession Session of '23


I must 'fess up and come clean...

How can it already be time to hit the 'fessional? Weren't we just here, 'fessing all things running (and otherwise) with our friends? Yikes...and where, oh where, did September disappear to so quickly???

Thankfully, I know I'm not alone. And also, quite thankfully, I know I'll feel much better after a session of 'fessing, so let's get right to it....

First off, we all know the daylight is dwindling, as are the morning temps. We've had a lot of cool  mornings, with temps in the 50F range. I can't believe I'm even thinking this...but I runfess that I haven't felt as chilled on my o'dark thirty runs. Say what? Could it be that I have already acclimated to the changing weather? 

the arm warmers almost weren't necessary...

Last week, on September 20th, I did the last official ride on the hilly bike path for the 2023 biking season. Amy and I had both agreed that finishing with 20 rides was more than sufficient, and there was no need to push these weekly rides to 25 (like we'd done in the summer of '22). Both of us had enjoyed the weekly rides (well, I use the term "enjoyed" rather loosely, LOL), but we were looking forward to saying farewell to all those hills (and all the wind that seemed to be a constant each week). I will gladly bikefess that I have no regrets in ending the '23 weekly hilly rides, and I joyously rang the bell in victory upon cresting the final hill on that final ride last week.

yes, I brought the cowbell along for a victorious *ring* after the final hill

This past month, I tried a couple new things with my weekly running routine, and both were unexpectedly successful. Instead of doing a 4-mile walk (while chatting with Deb on our weekly virtual meet-ups), I switched to doing a 3-mile run and then a 2-mile walk for a cool-down. It was roughly still an hour of cardio, but it boosted my weekly running mileage a bit without any adverse effects. Another change to my routine was morphing my Monday runs into progression runs. At first, these were happening a bit on their own, but quickly became a fun conquest each week (and gave me a tiny dose of speedwork in the process). As the temps continue to fall, I'll probably return to the indoor bike with Deb, but let me runfess that these Monday progression runs may continue!  

negative splits for the win!

Last week, on my Monday run, I opted for long sleeves with shorts. Imagine my surprise when, a few hours later, I saw the pic of the exact same outfit pop up on my Facebook memories! I fashionfess, apparently I'm nothing if not consistent. 

should I wear this same outfit on September 18th in 2024?

And, finally, let's chat briefly about the weather. I've heard the phrase Fake Spring used when the calendar indicates it's spring but the weather shows otherwise. This week, ironically the first week of fall nonetheless, we've had summer-like weather. Saturday's forecast is showing 92F, which will break the record of 91F! Is this Fake Fall? If so, let me fakefallfess, loud and clear, I'm LOVING every minute of it!

I even did an Insta reel about the Fake Fall

Ahhh, much better! I came, I saw, and I 'fessed (and I blogged about it, LOL). I can now welcome October with a clear mind and start anew (so to speak). 

How about you? What would you share with the crowd if we were 'fessing together? Are you acclimating to the fall weather...or is summer sticking around in your area as well? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

19 comments:

  1. That's so funny how you opted for the same outfit on the same day in consecutive years! It's supposed to hit 80 here tomorrow but that's nowhere near your 92. 80 is warm enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m embracing the 90F temps, because I know they will be gone in a few days. I think we're going "down" tot he 80's for next week, though. I'm good with that as well ;-)

      Delete
  2. I get to drive to visit my mom in almost Nor'Easter weather today, but we call it Indian Summer (still) and it's heading our way next week -- I am excited about that! Warmth without humidity is amazing!

    That's too funny about the same outfit!

    A good end for those hilly rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your trip went well, Judy ;-) It's crazy how extreme this Indian Summer is...no complaints on my end, though.

      Delete
  3. Nice job on all those hilly bike rides!

    I just saw the forecast and it looks like "fake fall" is headed this way next week - this is disrupting my boots and sweater season lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...I love boots and sweaters, but I'm in no particular hurry for that season to arrive...it sticks around much too long in Iowa!

      Delete
  4. That is so funny that you wore the same exact outfit! We have an “Indian summer” every year this time so we are back in the 80’s for a few days starting tomorrow. At least it is still cool in the morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually get a taste of the Indian Summer, too...but it doesn't (usually) get this hot. It really feels good (IMO).

      Delete
  5. Oh, summer is still sticking around here! You might be the only one in Iowa happy about 90s in October. I'm ready for some 50 degree mornings, but we won't get any for at least another month.
    I think you should wear that same outfit every September 18th from now on! Of course, you never know what the weather will be like- shorts and long sleeves might not work next year.
    I was going to say you should show us some of the hills from that bike ride- but then I remembered that hills never look steep in photos! You can show the steepest hill and it looks like a tiny slope (why is that?) Anyway, congrats on another great biking season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try to remember to wear this (again) on September 18th next year, LOL.

      Delete
  6. All right, you get bonus points and a high five for taking your cowbell with you on your last hilly ride of the season!

    How funny that out of all of your outfit combinations you wore the same outfit on the same day both this year and last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also brought the cowbell along for a couple of the early rides, because we'd forgotten how tough the hills were and needed the reward ;-)

      Delete
  7. Aw yiss it's runfession time! There's nothing better than temps of 50-55 with a "cold" feel for running...ok ok I only do brief run/walk workouts these days but still it feels good. I know that I'll have to move my morning cardio bursts inside to the treadmill once we get the dark mornings, but that hasn't happened yet so I'm going to pretend that it never will. A girl can dream right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really thankful I have the college campus so close by. There are lampposts everywhere, so I feel really safe (and can see where I'm going) when I'm on (or near) the campus.

      Delete
  8. How funny about the same outfit! It's still summer here, although now it's just rainy and humid summer. Sigh. That doesn't mean i haven't packed my calendar with fall fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain is a buzzkill. We had a touch of it last week, and it's annoying when it happens during the waking hours, LOL.

      Delete
  9. nice job on all your biking. We've had a lot of rain and it's been chilly but not too bad. I just add those DIY arm sleeves for a mile. Next week, it's supposed to warm up... I don't want summer to end. Winter is so long and depressing. It already is dark so early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that winter is long and depressing! I love my arm warmers (as you know). They are so convenient, and easy to slide off or roll down when they're no longer needed.

      Delete
  10. It’s hilarious that you wore the same outfit a year ago! That’s just crazy!

    After a cool damp week, we’re having a sunny, warm weekend.

    ReplyDelete