Monday, September 18, 2023

Fall Fitness '23: What's Happening?


Anyone else think it feels odd to be chatting about fall fitness endeavors...already?

Even though the calendar indicates otherwise, I'm still in a bit of a summer mindset. At least the weather still has a bit of summer-like feels, so there's that.

So, what's on tap for Fall 2023?

My "fitness calendar" doesn't look as full, this year, as it has in years past. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it seems not as many fall races caught my eye this year. Oh well, I guess I saved some coin by not registering for everything that was available, LOL. 

My first Fall '23 event on the roster is happening this coming weekend. It's (already) the sixth annual Mollie Tibbetts Memorial Run. This event was first held shortly after her body was found (August  2018), after she'd been missing for several weeks. Every year since, this memorial run takes place on the route Mollie was known to have run frequently...and it was where she last ran before her disappearance. Yes, it's a bit eerie, but it's also quite cathartic. It's a hilly route, with a 5-mile or a 5K option, that draws a huge crowd of runners and walkers.

This very week, I'll be doing my final weekly hilly bike path ride of the season with Amy. It's ride #20, so it's a significant milestone. We did 20 rides in 2021 (recap HERE), and got in 25 rides last year (and that recap is HERE), but we both agreed that 20 rides would suffice for the 2023 record books. Momma N really made these rides especially tough this year. We hit the lottery on windy days (usually double-digit mph), and I don't recall much coasting on very many of the downhills (due to said wind). Nonetheless, I know we'll both be back next summer. After this week's grand finale on the bike path, we still plan on meeting each week and riding in town. We're also planning on a few more weekend long rides, weather (and football schedules) permitting.

Mid-October will have me toeing the start line of the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. This is a long-time favorite race I've done almost every year since 2008. Last year, I had to switch to the 5K, though,  due to some weird hip/hammy issues, so I'm eager to be back on the 13.1 race course.

After the half marathon, I'm hoping to just run for the sake of running. I'd also like to throw in some spontaneous speedwork. Since I won't have the pressure of running specific distances or paces, why not test my legs a little...you know just for fun?

Lastly, I've kind of been coerced (rather nicely, LOL) by a well-meaning friend to do the Living History Farms Race in November. This is an event that's been on my radar for several years, but I've never taken the initiative to give it a go. It's basically a 5-mile cross country-type of race, with several creek crossings and "natural" obstacles to navigate. The wild card is the weather, because it can be unseasonably warm or extremely cold (and rainy)...or anything in between. I've heard your shoes will be totally trashed by the time you reach the finish line, but it's a lot of fun in getting there. I just hope I don't break a nail. 

So, that's what I'll be doing for the next few months. Although I don't have a lot of hardcore racing on the roster, I do plan on keeping busy. And, it's a given I'm anticipating a lot of fun to be had.

Do YOU have a busy fall season on tap? Any big races? How about some low-key, stress-free fun?

  I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


 By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

18 comments:

  1. I hate to break it to you, but fall officially starts Saturday!!! You have some fun things planned. I'm glad you're able to do the half this year. I think I remember that issue you had last year (the Curse of the Glutes!) The run in November sounds REALLY fun and I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I guess technically it's still Summer until the end of this week, lol. But I am already in my Fall mindset :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know I'm one of very few who wants summer to stick around a bity longer, LOL.

      Delete
  3. Sigh...RIP summer. Actually we've got a big family party planned for the weekend with some fall activities so I guess I can accept the season change.

    The Living History Farm race sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LHF race is really a popular event! I've seen pics, from previous years, and there's a lot of people in crazy costumes, etc.

      Delete
  4. My 20 miler will be the day of your HM.

    I do miss fun races... they are had to do when you are training for a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this fun race will be all for FUN. The terrain will be too difficult for any kind of true racing (at least for me).

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it is nice to just run and not feel the pressure to train for any big races. I haven't had a big race in quite sometime and I am finally with that. Such a nice run you do for the rememberance of Mollie. I remember that. I can't believe it's been that long already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mollie Tibbitts run is always a nice event. There are numerous signs up along the route with quotes from her, etc.

      Delete
  6. It is nice that your community continues to remember and pay tribute to Molly. You have a fun fall schedule ahead. I would be more worried about spraining an ankle than breaking a nail on that cross country race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I don't 'injure myself on the race! We all know how klutzy I am ;-)

      Delete
  7. A good fall schedule and I appreciate your plan to run for fun after the big race.
    The Living History Farms Race sounds like a very tough run: now I am too old for this kind of race. I remember I ran a similar race in Caprera (Sardinia) - 1996 Navy Championship Cross - under a heavy rain and several creek crossing. There was also the U.S. Navy running team from the La Maddalena Naval Base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping for nice weather for everything, especially the Living History Farm race!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good plan for this fall! No races for me as I just hope to ease back into running. Fall is such a great time for races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is the perfect time for races, but I have been remiss on registering for much this year. Not sure what happened to the "real" Kim....

      Delete
  9. I am very excited about your races! I don't have any but want to gradually get back to running. I look forward to hearing more about them.

    ReplyDelete