Thursday, November 2, 2023

Cold temps. Warm drinks. Lively chatter.


Shall we share some chatter, over coffee (or any beverage of choice)?

It's that time of year...the leaves are still pretty (but not for much longer), there's a chill in the air, and daylight is a rare commodity. A hot beverage sounds mighty enticing to me.

A gathering of like minds sounds equally enjoyable as well. What say we combine the two and have at it?

Here goes... 

If we were chatting over coffee, I'd start by sharing my October mileage. Even though there was a half marathon in the mix, there also were two weeks of taper, and a solid week of recovery. The crazy wind has put a dent in my walking (Milly, my treadmill, has not seen any action since last spring either). The cold temps, and limited daylight, have put an even bigger dent in the biking (#WhompWhomp). Oh well, I do plenty of other fitness activities, so none of these numbers are the least bit worrisome. Moving on...


If we were chatting over coffee, I'd share a recent revelation. I think all (or most?) of my achy-breaky back discomforts, last winter and spring, can be attributed to the spin bike (acquired last December). I would feel perfectly fine while in the saddle, but the next morning...OUCH! I have already noticed some of those issues returning since the outdoor biking came to a halt (in the first week of October). I've been playing around with the various adjustments for the seat and handle bar settings to see which will mimic my outdoor bike best. Stay tuned...I'm hoping to find that perfect fit! 

If we were chatting over coffee, I'd address the ongoing erratic weather. Instead of complaining about Iowa's unpredictable (and highly unstable) weather, though, I'm going to laugh (and silently roll my eyes). Case  in point, there was a 50-degree "feels-like" difference from last Thursday's early morning run and this week's #5at5 on Wednesday. If nothing else, several days of cold temps and psychotic wind have made  the current mid-50's temps (since mid-day Thursday) feel oh-so-nice! That's a definite glass half full! 


If we were chatting over coffee, I'd tell you about my recent low-key weekend. Yes, you heard it here first. Other than Saturday morning's full moon run, there wasn't anything on the roster. That doesn't mean I spent the entire weekend in bed, eating chocolate or drinking several hazelnut cappuccinos. I still did some fitnessing, but I also went back to bed (after that full moon run). I also had a slight sleep-in on Sunday morning, then fired-up the spin bike for my first indoor 20-mile ride of the season.

Finally, if we were chatting over coffee, I'd share a bit of a "pinkfession." We all know October is breast cancer awareness month, and I'd render a guess all of us have been affected by the disease in some capacity. Personally, I have had many friends and family members face this disease head-on. That being said, I made a concerted effort to wear pink, everyday in October, as a small tribute to all the warriors out there (known and unknown). By the 31st, though, I was a bit burnt-out with all my pink fashion pieces (and ready for a change of color). My solution? It was Halloween, after all, so I compromised by wearing my obnoxious spider web leggings (look closely, there is some pink amidst the webbing, LOL). 


Anyways, I've probably chatted long enough. Allow me to step aside, and someone else can take the reigns.

How about you? What would you care to share if we were having coffee? What kind of beverage would be in your mug?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

15 comments:

  1. I’m pretty sure you racked up a lot more mileage than I did - your consistency adds up even through taper and recovery.

    What body parts are achy? I think CDE has a video on her FB page about bike adjustment. I think the tips would apply to any bike. If you want to go all in Matt Wilpers team does fittings by video for $$$. Hopefully you will sort it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my lower-back, just like I experienced most of last winter. The only thing I was doing differently was using the new spin bike, so I think that has to be a major player in the mix. Yes, I am researching some tips on the bike fitting dilemma...thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Now that we've officially had a hard frost and measurable snow, we can call this weekend's temps in the 50s "Indian Summer" and I am hear for it! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finally got our hard frost on Wednesday morning. This weekend feels like one of those first "Spring" weekends, LOL!

      Delete
  3. As a former spin instructor- I can agree that seat and handle bar position can make a huge difference. Did you know you can do a virtual bike fit? I have done it and found it very helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info ;-) I can't believe how much of a difference each (or both) could make...I never noticed things feeling "off" while on the bike, but I think some adjustments definitely need to me made.

      Delete
  4. Well, that's a good thing to figure out- that your back pain was caused by the spin bike. Maybe it would be worth it to do a virtual bike fit, like Deborah and Coc recommended.
    21 degrees for an early morning run- that is WINTER COLD. Brr! Feel free to send some of it down here. Our weather is pleasant but I'm waiting for our next big cool down.
    I like pink, but I can see how it's a color you would get sick of. Hooray for November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those temps were cold, at least for this time of year. Last time I checked, it wasn't January yet, LOL!

      Delete
  5. Your spider leggings are fabulous!

    We got our first taste of winter on Halloween. Wicked cold and the snow started flying. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock wood, the white stuff still hasn't made an appearance...

      Delete
  6. Good that you've identified the source of your back woes - my sports ortho just gave me some recommendations for adjustments to my bike. So I'd also agree that a virtual bike fit might be worth it if you continue to have issues.

    Our weather has been all over the place - last week 80s and this morning it was 27 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if the bike was the chief culprit, but I have to believe it was a factor. I'm looking forward to getting these adjustments fine-tuned ;-)

      Delete
  7. Oh interesting that your back issues seem to stem from the spin bike. I hope you can tweak the settings (or maybe your cleat position?) to find a remedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know for certain the bike is 100% at fault, I just know that's the one thing I did differently last winter/spring, so I'm assuming it's at least a factor. Time will tell!

      Delete
  8. I hope you find a good setting and that your back pain goes away!! Glad you were able to find a potential correlation -- I have random hip pain that I haven't been able to find a trigger/cause for yet, but...I will keep sleuthing, haha.

    ReplyDelete