Monday, November 13, 2023

Living History Farms 5-mile *Race Recap*


Well, this will go down (quite literally, LOL) as a race to remember.

Over the river (actually, a few creeks) and through the woods...to the finish line we go. Yes, such was the game plan for the Living History Farms Race.

Although this cross-country "off-road" race had long been on my radar, this past weekend was my first time actually taking part. Boy, oh boy, was it an adventure!

Now in its 45th year, this popular race had all the makings of a challenging adventure in the running shoes. When Jim suggested joining him on race day, I finally agreed to go for it and "test the waters" (#spoiler blatant pun intended). 

pre-race

First, here's some information on the event, courtesy of the LHF site:

Not just cowbell—we have actual cows! Immerse yourself in rural Iowa landscapes and run just over 5 miles through 300 years of history. You’ll splash through streams, plow through fields, and enjoy post-race treats from the Machine Shed. This cross-country course starts and ends in the 1876 town of Walnut Hill and runs through our three historic farm sites. 

 Anyways, I made it to Des Moines by 7:30, and we got to the venue by 8:00. The race didn't start until 9:00, but being a veteran LHF racer, Jim knew the parking would be a nightmare if we didn't get there early. Problem solved.

As any seasoned runner would do, I had stalked the weather all week, hoping for dry conditions. Race day arrived, bringing with it cold temps, and some wind, but plenty of bright sunshine (and no rain!). So, not too unpleasant. 

As mentioned, this race has been on my bucket list for many years. I'd seen (and heard) many stories about the crazy weather in previous years. We're talking (rare) unseasonably warm temps as well as bitterly cold conditions (snow, rain, sleet and ice). Oh, did I mention there would be some "natural" obstacles to navigate? You know, things like steep terrain, grassy hills, uneven footing from rocks, gravel, and tree roots (many of which would be hidden under a thick leaf cover). And, there also would be creeks to cross (and subsequent muddy shoes and wet clothing). Yes, all of these combined factors really made the weather a major wild card.

map courtesy of the LHF site

Anyways, despite all these inevitable race day variables, I was still eager to check-out this famous race. After all, for many years (pre-Covid), this event sold out within a few days of opening for registration. I knew there had to be something that drew such a crowd of runners and I wanted a front row seat, so to speak.

As expected, there were a lot of runners in costume. There were some obvious Halloween outfits, but also some Christmas-themed get-ups. I'd say, though, the majority of costume attire was farm-related, Thanksgiving icons (pilgrims or turkeys) and/or hunting-inspired (flannel-patterned, reflective vests, etc.).

So, the race begins...

Right out of the gate, we were on a grassy trail with numerous curves and gradual inclines. At this point, we were still pretty much in the wide open, so the wind was pretty chilly. The route lead us to the underpass (taking us under I-80/35), for a good distance, in nearly dark lighting. I was glad the guy in front of me was wearing a bright yellow jacket, or I would have been tripping over him. I remember there was a lot of laughter, and someone shouting "Marco" (and someone replying "Polo"). Fun times!

A short ways later, we passed the 1-mile mark, and the 1900 Farm was in sight.

We also passed Slash and Axl Rose (and later learned they won the "group costume" contest).

The second mile had us going around a small pond, with a mud pit to scoot through. Thankfully, it wasn't too sticky or icky.

That lead us through some timber (and the start of numerous tree roots underfoot), and the first creek crossing. This creek was small enough that I was able to leap over it without issue (there's a perk to having long legs, LOL).

By now, we were just past the 3-mile mark. The race course "rewarded" us with a very long (and very steep) climb on a gravel road, making it an ideal time for a short walk break as we approached the 1700 Farm landmark. Then, we had more timber, more hills, and more tree roots to negotiate. 

I think it was somewhere near the 3.5-mile mark when I found myself on a very steep downhill with numerous tree roots (again) and debris underfoot. Gravity was pulling me downward, at a too-fast speed, and I lost my footing. The more I tried to correct myself, the less control I had...and before I knew it...BOOM! Down for the count. I think I may have even rolled a bit (probably quite ungracefully, LOL.). Jim was right behind me, so he helped me get back up on my feet. Alrighty then, onward!

A short ways later was the 1850 Farm site (followed by more rough and tough timber). And, just after that was another creek crossing. Although this creek was pretty small, as well, it was too wide to jump across. There was a rock I was able to step on, but I had to sacrifice my left foot (in the water) to make it to the other side.

The 4-mile mark was just after the creek, and that lead us back to the tunnel under the Interstate (on some of the trail we'd started on). Once past the tunnel, though, the route veered in a different direction, looping into another area of intermittent timber. Jim warned me that the "real" creek was just up ahead. And he wasn't kidding.

Appropriately named the "creek slog," there was no getting around this and staying dry. Jim stepped right in and began powering through the cold water. I tried to inch along the muddy (and sloping) bank for a few steps, but I soon realized if I didn't succumb to the water on my own accord, I'd risk falling in. So, in I stepped. Ugh, the water was crazy cold and the mud, on the river bottom, was super sticky. The water was murky, making it a guessing game as to how deep the actual water level was until you hit the mud underneath. The water was well above my knees in some spots (and I have long legs!), but I made it across without issue and was able to climb out without falling back in (I was one of the lucky ones, LOL).

After that, it was about another mile to the finish line. We had mostly grassy trails, with some intermittent gravel, that lead us back to the 1876 "town" of Walnut Hill, where we'd begun the race.

Like any and every race, crossing the finish line always feels great. Much to my surprise, we got cowbells as finisher medals. How appropriate!

My stats show my official finish time as 57:19, which was well under our goal of finishing under the 1-hour mark. I placed 7th out of 45 (10-year age group); 103rd out of 320 females, and 339th overall (out of the 690 participants). I'll take it.

The mile splits are a bit sporadic, but they tell the true story of the terrain, the hills, the tumble and the mud-slogging. 

Oh, and check out that elevation!  

Too bad this pic doesn't accurately depict just how muddy our shoes were, or how wet everything from the knees-down was. I'm glad I had the foresight to bring along a dry pair of shoes (and socks) for the drive back home because my feet were freezing!

In addition to the cowbells, all participants got long-sleeved (cotton) shirts for swag. Again, a nod to the cowbell theme!

And, lucky me. Remember the downhill tumble I took? Another keepsake I brought home was a nasty bruise on my right wrist and a small one on the left. My left shin is looking (and feeling) kind of colorful as well. Too bad the pic doesn't do the bruising color justice.

So, how do I feel about everything? In a word, impressed. This was a very well organized event. Granted the race course was very challenging, but that's part of its charm. In a way, it's kind of refreshing doing a race that you know will be tough because there's no pressure to run it fast. The weather definitely made my experience enjoyable (though it could have been 20-degrees warmer and I wouldn't have complained). I definitely can see the allure of doing this race every year simply for the conquest!

Also, this race was a bit out of my comfort zone (and that's a great thing!). I don't like getting all wet. I detest being cold. And the fear of tripping and falling was very real (and, ultimately, my fate, LOL). Facing all those less-than-desirable conditions is rather empowering, though. I'm really glad I took the gamble on the weather and pinned on that race bib. Who knows? Maybe I'll return next year, or possibly add this to my "must-do-every-year" roster. Stay tuned!

Have you ever done a cross-country race such as this? Ever crossed a creek (or several) as part of a race? Any cowbells on your medal rack? When's the last time you willingly stepped outside  of your comfort zone?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

22 comments:

  1. Nice job, Kim! How different this is from a road race and even from a regular trail race! It's great because you're so focused on mastering the terrain that you have no time to think about anything else.
    I did a similar race last Saturday. It was at a vineyard, with lots of obstacles like fallen trees, creeks and mud. Fortunately, our temperatures were a bit warmer.
    Do you prefer this type of race to road races?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention it, but YES...it's hard to appreciate the surroundings because I had to keep my eyes focused on the ground in front of me (and I still wiped out, LOL). I still prefer the road, but this cross-country race was a fun alternative, and a great experience ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats, Kim! What a fun sounding race and you did really well for a first of this type of race. Of course, you trained for those water obstacles at the MCM. ;-) To answer your question, I ran the North Face Challenge Marathon where we ran on a similar sounding course which included a few creek crossings. My husband came to take pictures and when he saw the trail conditions he thought I'd hate it, but I ended up loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, MCM prepared me for ANY kind of water hazard! IT's fun to do races that are so different from our "norm." I think it keeps us young (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

      Delete
  3. I love everything about this race - nice bling, fun shirt, running, LOCAL HISTORY...just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say a marathon was out of my comfort zone.

    A cow bell is perfect and useful when you spectate a race.

    I try to avoid trails since I am so clumsy.

    Congrats on a great effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total klutz also, and I proved that with the nasty tumble and roll-over maneuver. The cowbell is pretty unique, and the only one I've ever brought home as a finisher piece of swag.

      Delete
  5. Way to take on a whole other type of challenge! it is fun to do different types of races sometimes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah ;-) I have done a few similar races, years ago, but this one was pretty extreme with the creek crossings, the weather conditions, and the variety of terrain. It was a great experience!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a very interesting race! I'm sure it was challenging but it also seems like you had fun, so that's a win! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's not a trail race till you fall flat on your face! This race sounds SO FUN. If I lived up there you and I would be doing this race together every single year. Except I'm not sure if I could keep up with you! Your pace was actually pretty fast considering all the obstacles. Congrats on running a great race and getting out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I didn't land on my face, LOL, and more importantly, I didn't break a nail!

      Delete
  8. Well done! I'm glad you thought ahead to bring the dry gear. I'm not a big fan of getting wet or dirty on a run, but I have done a couple of trail races where you couldn't avoid it. The cowbell is a great finisher giveaway. We always keep a few in our cars for cheering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the cowbells were unique (and quote appropriate) finisher swag items ;-)

      Delete
  9. I love this! A walk down memory lane as I did this race so long ago..maybe 2010? I have to look back to see! It was so much fun. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I think this race may have existed more than 15 years? Dustin said we did it before we were married, which is 15 years ago, ha! Still trying to find results under my maiden name...

      Delete
    2. Oops, I had a typo up there (which I have corrected)...the race began in 1979, so this was actually the 45th year ;-) I forgot to mention, the race used to be around seven miles in distance, but they shortened it this year (and eliminated a few of the creek crossings).

      Delete
  10. Trail races are challenging! And yep, you fall. Glad you stretched out of your comfort zone to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this was well worth the stumbles (and ultimately the fall). Definitely a great out-of-comfort-zone experience!

      Delete
  11. Awesome job conquering a trail race!
    I did a trail race once (by accident) and I was scared to death, lol. Thankfully I stayed upright.
    Also, I'm loving the turkey headband!

    ReplyDelete