Saturday, April 20, 2024

So This Is Spring


Spring in Iowa. 

Hmmm. It doesn’t feel like one specific “season.” It’s more like a random grab bag of all-season weather, where you don’t really know what each new day will bring. It’s definitely not boring, but it does keep us guessing on what to wear (for fitness and otherwise). 
Before I “spring” all the deets on you, from last week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down in my little corner of the universe this week:

Sunday felt like summer… 
With two previous days of running (four miles on Friday and five on Saturday), I opted for a simple 3-mile power walk in the early morning sunshine. The temps climbed to the low-80’s, and it was euphoric! Later in the day, my friend Barb (you all remember her, right?), came for a visit and we had a fun 2-mile walk and talk session. 


Monday was still feeling summer-ish
The forecast was showing increasing wind (#BigSurprise) throughout the day, so I got out for a pre-sunrise 3-mile run before my "real" day started. I also took advantage of the sunny (albeit windy) conditions and knocked-out a 2-mile walk over lunch. The day was still warm, after I got home, so I snuck in a quick 1-mile walk before dinner. 


Tuesday felt like hurricane season… 
It was damp, dark and ever-so-dreary upon wake-up, so I opted to keep it indoors. Six miles on the bike and my cardio fix was satiated. By late afternoon, all the rain (and hail) had moved eastward. A 2-mile walk (back in the summer attire) was much appreciated while dinner was in the oven. Multi-tasking at its best!


Wednesday felt like typical windy spring
Wow, my weather app was a big fat liar! For starters, it told me the wind was out of the west (but it actually was coming at me from EVERY direction). It also showed “only” 19mph wind speed, but my Garmin showed 22mph. All I know is those three miles really had me questioning my life decisions. After returning home, I did a short arms/shoulders workout and was able to get out for a breezy 1-mile walk over lunch.  Thankfully, things were much calmer (and warmer) for our 2-mile pre-dinner walk after work. 


Thursday felt like another windy & rainy spring day
I’d hoped to join Deb (in walking outdoors), but temps in the upper-40’s (with rain) was a big “no thank you.” Instead, she walked and I (virtually) joined her on my bike for 20 miles (but I selfie'd outside, LOL).


Afterwards, I cued-up a short lower-body workout (Peloton). After work, I met with a running group at Fleet Feet for a speedy 3-mile demo run (see below).


Friday felt like winter
Believe it or not, we had an overnight frost advisory! I had to dig out the winter jacket and fleece headband. Thankfully, the wind was almost MIA, and this pre-dawn 2-mile walk was totally tranquil. I also braved the noontime 16mph wind for a 2-mile walk (thank goodness there was full sunshine!)
 

Saturday felt like winter again...
It's hard to tell in the pic, but I am wearing a fleece headband and my winter gloves. At least the sun was shining and the new shoes felt great. This was just a quick 2-mile shakeout, since the Drake 10K was on the roster for Sunday morning. I hit the bike for 10 miles after returning home, and also a short upper-body strength workout.



…and Sunday?
I had been registered for the Drake Road Races Half Marathon, but my running mileage has been at the bare minimum the past couple months (selling a house, buying a house, packing, moving, AND unpacking have all taken a toll on my available "free" time, LOL). I probably could have gritted-out 13.1 miles, but I thought switching to the 10K was the wise decision. Besides, the race course is a hilly one, so those 13.1 miles would have been tough even if I had properly trained for them.



So, all in all, this week was decent. Not stellar, but satisfactory...I'll take it. Running logged 11 miles. Walking had 13 miles. Biking had 36 miles. There were a few short strength sessions, but they left the muscles burning (as I've said before, the short Peloton workouts almost do more damage than the longer ones because there is no time wasted and minimal recovery time between sets). 

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog:

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair, with the cold winter wind on a sunny spring day, I took the liberty of dressing for both seasons. A long-sleeved warm sweater with distressed peek-a-boo pants and sparkling sandals did the trick. BTW, I’m a huge fan of square necklines, anyone else?



A shoe demo run! A perk to my new locale is being right near a metro area, thus numerous fitness/running stores within my grasp. Fleet Feet (downtown Des Moines location) hosted a New Balance demo run Thursday evening. Having never tried NB shoes, and being in the market for new kicks, I was eager to take part in the fun. They gave me the Fresh Foam X 1080 to try (the closest model to a stability shoe they had in their demo arsenal). While these were very cushy & comfy, I fear they wouldn’t be ideal for distance running. They worked fine for the short route we ran, though. Let me say, these fellow running peeps wasted no time, LOL, and this 3-mile run (8:49 pace) felt more like a speed workout. Afterwards, I tried on a few other shoes, and brought some Mizuno Wave Inspires home! These were the shoes I started with, years ago. I’d been wearing Brooks Adrenalines since August 2015, but the last few updated versions just weren’t serving me well. I’m excited to return to where it all began with these Mizunos and am hoping the on/off  hammy issues will be a thing of the past.

Slow healing. In prepping for the move, we had a dumpster at our house. On Monday morning, March 25th, I cleared the dumpster but totally didn't see the bar extended along the side of it...and my arm took a nasty hit as I walked by. It's been almost four weeks, and this gargantuan bruise is still gracing my left arm.

April 20th (on left), and March 31 (on right)

So, there you have it! It's hard to believe we're already a full month into spring...and the season just can't make up its mind if it's coming, going, or staying. Alas, that's the Midwest weather reality.  

How was your week? Lots of fun fitness happening? Crazy weather? Any racing?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are settling in nicely in your new digs! How far are your from your old town? It was great that Barb came by to see you.

    Good luck on your race today! I hope there's no wind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind was mild, thank goodness, because it was cold! It's about a 35-minute drive to my other town (I'm commuting now), but it goes pretty quick.

      Delete
  2. Yes winter is back here as well and I am over it! The warmth was so nice while it lasted. All the best with your race! Hope the wind is a no show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind was almost a no-show, but the sunshine was perfect ;-)

      Delete
  3. I was a Mizuno girl until they made them narrower one year. Maybe I should try them again, although I’ve been doing ok in New Balance.

    My morning walk temperature has dropped 10 degrees per day since Friday!

    Good luck today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For awhile I was alternating the Mizunos with Brooks (every-other year), but stuck with Brooks for a couple more years even though they weren't 100% feeling great. I wasn't training for any marathons, and there was that year of Covid-affected races, so all was well.

      Delete
  4. I love your new shoes! I tried Brooks for a few years, but they just weren't the right shoes for me either. I ran all of my marathons in Asics, but then they stopped working for me, too.

    We've had some really nice weather this week, but today is unseasonably cold. The wind, though, pretty much refuses to give up. Yesterday at times it was pushing my bike sideways.

    I hope you have a great race today and can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is so tough to do battle with! It's been sustained wind, too, so there's not any break from it.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I swear the only wind direction that we have is "in all directions" - and I don't even live in Iowa lol.

    Enjoy your 10k today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 10K went well ;-) (and the wind played nice, so that was a bonus!)

      Delete
  6. We had all the seasons this week too including summer. Not ready for that. It is fun to try on and switch up the shoes every once in a while. I am now loving a model I wore a few years back. Hope you have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the shoe companies would quite "improving" their already near-perfect shoes. It's frustrating to find a great shoe, only to have it tweaked in future editions.

      Delete
  7. I think "a random grab bag of all-season weather" might be the definition of spring- so you're right on track. Yay for new shoes! I've never tried Mizunos- they're probably too narrow for my clown feet. By the time you're reading this I'm sure your race will be over. I hope it went well, and I'm looking forward to the recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have pretty narrow feet, so I need shoes that are more narrow (without a wide toe box). That makes it tough for me to find shoes because sizing-up (like I've always done for running shoes) just makes the situation even worse.

      Delete
  8. Glad the move went well and you're getting used to your new home. Ouch to the bruise on your arm - dumpsters are dangerous it seems! Sorry about all the wind you had this week - it was windy here on and off and I was scared we were going to lose power (again) but thankfully we didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that's some variable weather! Your description of spring in Iowa as a random grab of all-season weather is so spot on! And I do recognise it from March in Ireland.. this year very relevant in April too, since we started the week in winter temperatures and I ended it with working in the garden in a tank top!
    What a bummer about your arm, but it seems it doesn't prevent you from doing your workouts? I hope you get some more decent weather your way really soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My arm functions fine for working out (and everything, actually), it's just got that obnoxious bruise. It's been fading a lot this past week, so I think it's finally on its way to being healed.

      Delete
  10. Wow the temps really dropped there didn't they? It's supposed to be that way here this week in the mornings and I'm not looking forward to bundling up again.

    Funny I used to run in the Wave Rider and had been toying with trying them again. I hope the shoe switch works for you!

    Best of luck on your race today - can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cold today!! So tired of this weather.

    I raced today but it was to mentor another runner... and she walked. I was fine with it since I ran 10 miles yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shoe demo days are the best!! I pretty much find a pair I like every time a vendor comes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I discovered the Brooks Adrenaline ;-) Just a bummer the company kept altering them ;-( I had never tried New Balance shoes, so it was nice getting to actually go for a real run in them (and not just a lap around the parking lot).

      Delete
  13. So hilariously, I also used to run in Mizuno Wave Inspires. For me, they got way too heavy and clunky, while the Adrenalines keep making my feet happy. Now you have me interested in trying the Mizunos again!

    We had a raging heat wave here, so it was not at all happy (in my opinion). I could do with some cooler mornings, especially for running purposes.

    ReplyDelete