Thursday, April 25, 2024

Time for some Runfessions


...and, just like that, we're back 'fessing our transgressions, running and otherwise.

Are you ready?

Let's get this Runfession session underway. Let me begin...

All is going very well, I'm feeling pretty settled-in, and I'm loving my new place. I do have a 35-40 minute commute most days, though. I'm still trying to get in a good groove with the hair wash "mornings" vs. hair wash "evenings," and that *sometimes* affects how intense of a workout I'll do in the morning. In fact, I have to runfess that there have been a few times I've skipped washing my hair for more days than I care to admit. Let's just say that I'm very creative with up-do's, dry shampoo, and "cheating" by only washing my bangs (or simply pinning them up). No shame! 

How many days has it been? The world may never know...

As much as I like writing (and reading) the Runfessions posts, often times I struggle with finding good content. Actually, I have plenty of content, but I runfess that I can’t always remember said content when it comes time to put the Runfessions post together. Deb and I often talk about this memory issue, and we’ve been known to say “that’s a great runfession,” and then neither of us will be able to recall the conversation afterwards. 

With my new abode, I made the command decision to buy two new smart TVs last  weekend. I had brought two such TVs with me, when I moved, but neither would connect to my WiFi. The tech support gal did everything on her end, including rebooting my router and nothing would get these two devices to connect (though they appeared to be connected via the provider app). After 90 minutes on the phone, it was decided my best option was to start over, with new TVs (since they are cheaper than most cell phones these days, LOL). Anyways, I runfess that technology is so frustrating! That said, the two new TVs were easy to set up & both connected (almost immediately) to the WiFi… but the living room one (though smaller than its predecessor) had legs that are too wide for the intended stand (I kid you not). So, a more accommodating stand is on its way. 

currently residing on the floor (in front of the too-small stand)

It had been awhile since I've done any shorter distance racing. I wanted to give the ole 1-mile time trial a whirl, but had some anxiety as to what my body could/should/would be able to do at the Grand Blue Mile (Tuesday evening). I’m not a natural born speedster, and my running mileage has been more about maintenance than legit training in recent months. I runfess that it was a bit of a relief to have the 14mph wind (that I curse on the daily, don't forget) on the scene because it gave me an excuse to not be in contention for a PR. Pathetic, right? (BTW, I ran a 7:50 mile, and walked away with a third place AG...didn't see that coming)

Speaking of the Grand Blue Mile, I got to the staging area a good 45 minutes before my start time of 6:45PM. I'd had a small snack and had sipped some water while driving there. Once the thought of finding another cup of water crossed my mind, though, it was all I could think about. It's kind of like when you don't really need to use the porta-potty, so you walk on by...then reconsider your situation, and suddenly have to relieve yourself. I runfess, that mind-over-matter thing really messed with my head. I used the porta-potty twice, and nearly convinced myself I was severely dehydrated. Then, the entire 7:50 minutes I was running, had me thinking my throat felt like sandpaper.

WATER...I need WATER!!!

There, all better. It feels so good to get all those Runfessions out of my head and documented. Now I can move onward, to the next month of running and whatnot.

Enough about me...

What would you runfess, if given the opportunity? Are you tech savvy and/or have you set up a smart TV? Ever done a 1-mile race? Have you ever convinced yourself you needed to use the porta-potty (when you probably really didn't need to)?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.



By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 3rd AG win! Nice job on that 1-miler!

    I always convince myself that I urgently need the port-a-potty... or water. And then I obsess about it, too.
    I always needed to calculate additional 45 minutes if I washed my hair in the morning. And then, to be as efficient as possible, I had to plan my workouts around my hair-wash schedule - it was ridiculous.
    Since we're self-employed that no longer matters (I do the back-office admin) and it's a big relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how much of a time-suck haircare can be! My hair takes forever to dry, so it's a good extra 45 minutes of time on the days I wash it (which is why I'm trying to wash it in the evenings during the work week).

      Delete
  2. Congrats again on your 1-mile race. I've never raced that distance although I believe there's a 1-miler nearby.

    I runfess that during yesterday's cardio workout with you I mentioned something that I should add to today's post and haven't been able to remember it since. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short term memory thing isn't working for either of us these days, ha!!

      Delete
  3. I also tend to forget about good runfessions over the weeks between posts. I know have a note on my phone where I add them so I don’t forget. Glad you are settled in and the hair washing will figure itself out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hair washing isn't that big of a priority, but an annoyance trying to "schedule" it in ;-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the speedy 1-mile race! I've never raced that distance. I'm the opposite: I ran the entire Twin Cities Marathon with a full bladder. The potties were packed at the start of the race so I figured I'd pull over at one of the on-course ones. Turns out they were all packed too so I never went. At some point dehydration set in and I didn't notice as much. It was crazy. Glad you got the TV situation figured out. What a PIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bladder has about a 15-minute window from when it senses that it needs attention, LOL. There's no way I could run an entire race under those conditions, let alone a full!

      Delete
  5. Wow on your fast 1 miler - that’s awesome!

    Oh, the mind-over-matter struggle is real! I think cycling has helped me push through — especially when I’ve gotten stung mid-ride in a place I couldn’t pull over. I just scream and curse until the feeling passes. ;—)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have more mind-over-matter success on the bike!

      Delete
  6. Ha! I can always use a portapotty.
    No, I've never run a mile race. At this point it would be laughable, but it might be a fun challenge sometime in the future to train for one. I am definitely not a natural speedster either!
    Workouts > clean hair. I'm sure you continue to look fabulous and no one can tell the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one mile distance is a beast! For it being such a short distance (in my long-distance mind), it is a major tough dragon to slay.

      Delete
  7. I'm laughing because my husband upgraded his TV a while back and it has the same legs that yours has, which were not compatible with his stand. I've gotten used to the piece of plywood that he improvised with to make it work so I hardly notice it now. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd though of adding a makeshift piece of wood (or something) to fix the problem, but found a nice stand (for cheap), so crisis averted.

      Delete
  8. We just got a new tv for my husband and it was a fairly easy set up for him. My parents also got a new smart tv and that was a little more challenging because they're not super tech savvy. I don't watch tv all that much so I don't really care. I'm so glad you are settling happily into your new place. The longer commute stinks, but I imgaine it all balances out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch much TV either, but it was frustrating to not have access to either of the two in my house. I'm just glad these new ones were so painless to set up!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic job on that 1-miler! Congrats!

    I am constantly forgetting things when it comes to both the runfessions and coffee chats - maybe I should start voice-recording notes on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Kim on that 1-miler! That is fast! I've never done one because I am not fast at all. I got a smart TV for the living room a few years ago and asked my cousin to help set it up for me. It wasn't as complicated as I thought.

    ReplyDelete