Monday, July 15, 2024

Midnight Madness 5K - Digging Deep in the Heat



Is there anything greater than returning to a fun race, after a 1-year sabbatical of sorts? 

I think not (but I may be biased as a runner). 

Saturday evening had me toeing the start line of the Midnight Madness 5K (Ames, IA). I had been  registered for the 10K, but Momma N blessed us with extreme heat and humidity, so the 10K was cut in half and merged with the 5K. 

So yeah…

Even though  the race director gave us fair warning two days prior, the 5K distance is not very desirable for me. With the change of events, though, I did have time to prepare mentally for the shorter distance (and probable faster pace #ugh). Glass half full!

My experience with the Midnight Madness festivities began in 2016 (recap), and it didn't go well. Let's just say this particular event, in that particular year, holds my one and only DNF to date. I returned in 2018 (recap) and redeemed myself with a third place AG in the 10K. The momentum continued in 2019 (recap), where I set two new course PR's (for the 5K and 10K) and brought home 3rd place AG hardware for both. In 2021, I scored a third place AG in the 5K (recap). Finally, in 2022, I broke the "bronze barrier" and snagged a first place AG in the 10K (recap).



With a 7:00 start time, I arrived at the venue (Ames Fitness Center), before 6:00. I grabbed my race packet and met-up with Barb shortly thereafter. 

The Midnight Madness races are affiliated with the Summer Iowa Games (a statewide series of sporting events...comparable to the Olympics, but on a much smaller scale). Our friend Chuck (Exec. Director of Iowa Sports Foundation) was there, on the scene, lending his support to all the participants. 

Did I mention it was a warm evening? The temps were sitting at 88F and the humidity was high. The sky was clear and the sun was bright (not unlike most of the previous years) when Barb and I lined up at the start line. 

the "before" pic

Even though it was "only" a 5K, and I knew there would be a water stand near the halfway point, I decided to bring along a water bottle. Spoiler: it was a great idea.

water bottle in hand...

The race course starts with a deceiving downhill. Although gravity works in your favor, it's really tough to not let loose and go (almost) all-out down that first hill. I've said this before (like, in almost every race recap), but I have ZERO concept of how fast (or slow) I'm actually going. I run-by-feel, and seldom ever look at my Garmin except for when it beeps at the mile splits.

Barb and I had grabbed a spot towards the front 1/4 of the herd of runners. I didn't think I had started especially fast, even with that downhill, but when my Garmin showed 8:06 for that first mile, I knew I was in trouble. 

pic courtesy of my friend, Constance

The bulk of the race is on a trail through a recreation area, with a few frontage roads, so there's plenty of opportunity to catch your breath in the second mile. The route takes you on some twists and turns, with a few ponds and natural landscaping along the trail. Although my water didn't stay cold for very long, it still was nice having it with me to sneak a sip every quarter mile or so.

I don't know if it was my conscience effort to slow my pace, fatigue from the too-fast first mile, or just the heat (and subsequent humidity), but my Garmin showed a much better split at the 2-mile mark (9:12). Truthfully, I was feeling more sweaty than tired at that point, though I did take a couple of 10-second walk breaks in that second mile. There were several groups of spectators along the race course, including my friend Constance. It's always nice hearing your name called in the midst of a race!

another pic from Constance

Shortly after the 2-mile mark, we turned a corner and had The Hill awaiting us. I'm typically a glass-half-full person, but I was sincerely dreading that third mile. I well remember, from two years ago, how tough that final jaunt to the finish line had been. That night, in 2022, was also a rather hot and humid evening, and this hill encompassed most of the third mile. 

I tried to keep focusing on my breathing (as a means of distraction, LOL). I didn't have any music with me, so I tried to think of a few favorite upbeat songs (for a jolt of a little mojo). Eventually, about 1/3-mile in, I decided to take another 10-second walk break. And another, a short while later. We turned the corner, about half way through the mile, but the hill continued. I think I took one last walk break before the next turn (just before the 3-mile mark). Then it was the last .1-mile to the finish line. 

The clock showed 28:XX, which surprised me. Although my first two miles were somewhat quick, I'd taken several walk breaks in the third mile. I was expecting to be closer to the 29/30-minute mark. Apparently, I'd run much faster in between all those walk breaks, huh.

done! (and oh-so-sweaty, hence the wet cooling towel, LOL)

So, how did I do? Much better than I felt or expected. My splits definitely reflect that too-fast first mile and the slow “almost” crash and burn that followed (8:06 / 9:12 / 10:05). 


My 28:12 finish time (official), complete with all that walking in Mile-3, was good enough to secure first place in my age group. The second & third place gals weren’t immediately on my tail (31:10 and 33:34, respectively), but I’m thankful I didn’t need to walk more than I’d already done. The stats showed I was first of eight (age group), 32nd of 146 (women)  and 135th of 326 (overall). 

As for Barb? She captured a second place AG, so it was a good night for her as well. Yes, we were both  glistening and glowing, in full capacity, post-finish line!

...the "after" pic

The post-race atmosphere was nice! There were oodles of wet, cooling towels, a couple of sprinklers just beyond the finish line tunnel, and a huge fan to stand by. There was a live band on site, as well as  pizza and an assortment of beverages.

We didn't stick around for the actual awards ceremony, but they gave us our event medals and AG medals anyways. 

Yes, I may have ditched the shoes and socks

The swag was legit...the shirt is cotton (unisex sizing), but the graphics are legit (the event medal is an exact match).

We also got mini coolers, with goodies inside (sunscreen, lip balm, soap, and a koozie).

As mentioned, I've done this event several times prior. There was a steady streak of bronze hardware going on, but maybe that era has ended, LOL.

2024 

L-R:2018 (3rd place 10K), 2019 (3rd place 5K and 10K), 2021 (3rd place 5K), 2022 (1st place 10K)

Anyways, this event is really a lot of fun despite the July weather. This is Iowa, after all, and we all know what the weather will probably be like when we register for the race. Hey, it makes for a great challenge, and an even better story!

Have you ever done an evening race, in the heat of summer? Ever have a longer distance get shortened due to safety concerns  regarding the weather? Would you have a tough time adjusting your racing "mentality" if your 10K got changed to a 5K?

I'm linking this with Zenaida and Jenn for the TuesdayTopics Linkup

By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Well done on your 1st AG placement!! Great job on persevering, especially on that hill towards the end.
    Your race sounds very much like mine I did a few weeks ago. It was a 10k on a Friday evening, and I went out far too quickly. I paid for it in the second half of the race! We will never learn, will we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I never feel like I'm going super fast in those first miles, but I have no idea how to turn it off, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Congratulations! I haven't been in any races that have been cut down, but I know of some nearby that have been. It's always frustrating, but safety first, right?

    Looks like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has happened at a few other races for me. It's always a safety thing, so I respect the RDs' decisions...but it's a tough adjustment for the runner. Having to run a (faster-paced) 5K is a buzzkill when you're prepped for a 10K, LOL.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! So were you wishing it was a 10K, or were you happy to stop at 5? Anyway it sounds like a fun night! I haven't run a nighttime race in a looooong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was bummed the 10K got shortened, but it was nice only having to climb that hill once, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Well done and congrats! I did a night run in the Summer years ago. I don't remember much except that it was warm. I'd rather run a race in the morning but it could be because I am already used to running in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An evening race brings with it the challenge of food and fueling. Throw in the summer heat, and it makes for an interesting night!

      Delete
  5. Bravo! A marathon like that is a great achievement. I've only been running for 3 months, but I really like it. I even got a woolen sweatshirt from my sister to motivate me to run in the evening when it gets a bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Kim! Even though I saw your hardware in person, I'm just now getting around to reading your recap. I can certainly understand the frustration in having a 10K dropped down to a 5K because the pacing and race strategy are so different for the two races. I'm not a fan of evening races because of the chances of it being hotter and figuring out the whole eating thing.

    ReplyDelete