Saturday, October 3, 2026

Dodging the Deluge


Rain, rain, and still more rain! What a reality!

This week, thankfully, had some prime opportunities to dance around the rainfall. There also were a few moments of  sunshine! The temps were more late-summer-like, so the weather conditions were a lot more to my liking. 

Before I get to the nitty gritty deets of the (still) damp week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down! 

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here’s what went down in my little world of fun and fitness this week:

Sunday-Weather Delays, anyone?
My plans for Saturday’s postponed 10-miler were, apparently, too grandiose. Waking up (yet again) to rain was a buzzkill! The late afternoon forecast was showing drier conditions, so I opted for an umbrella-aided walk, Instead, and checked out a new mural alongside the trail.



It wasn’t until nearly 4:00, but the rain did come to an eventual halt. By then, my enthusiasm was less than stellar for running eight miles, so I adjusted my plan to run a 6-mile out-and-back route and then assess whether to run further (spoiler: I ran those six miles faster than planned, so I passed on running the additional two miles). The trail was wet, but overall pretty clear considering all the recent rain, and there was standing water everywhere along the edges.



Then, as if there hadn’t been enough procrastination, I had the full moon run still looming over me, LOL. Maybe Momma N was feeling some remorse, because around 10:00 I noticed a break in the thick cloud cover! The Harvest Moon was shining ever bright, as if it was beckoning me to lace-up one more time. I was feeling pretty beat, after that late-afternoon 6-miler, but I’d already postponed this run twice (since Friday night) due to the weather. I decided a short run was better than no run. A simple 1/2-mile jaunt around the block would suffice quite nicely. And it did just that!


Never miss a Monday
Feeling slightly fatigued, I opted for a short walk and saved the run until after work. The pavement was pleasantly dry considering all the rain from the weekend. 


After work, the weather was feeling like a summer relapse. The air was humid and the 73F temps were perfect for a post-workday run. It had been awhile since I’d run the east-bound segment on the trail, so that’s where I headed. Two miles of absolute bliss!



Tuesday - Active Recovery  
For the first time, in what seemed like forever, there was a visible sunrise! I did a quick upper-body strength session, then got out for two miles of walking before officially starting the morning (dental appointment, don’t be jealous). There wasn’t time for a lunch walk, so I fired-up  the elliptical, after work, for approximately five miles of sweat equity. 
 

Double Workout Wednesday 
Yet again, there was rain in the forecast, so it was a last-minute decision to meet for the weekly 4:45AM run. And did we ever get lucky! The temps were comfortable (in my opinion), and there was no rain (though the air was extremely humid). 


That evening, I did something that was long overdue: a solid hour of full-body strength work. Everything was throbbing when I was done,  but boy-oh-boy did it feel great! 


Thankful Thursday!
I was expecting to wake up in a world of DOMS, but said DOMS were a no-show. Deb and I met for our Virtual weekly cardio catch-up chat session. I was blessed with rainy conditions (I know, big surprise!) so I opted for 16 miles on the bike while she walked. 


Then, after work, I headed over to the group run. I totally misjudged just how much (or how little, LOL) I’d warm up in the 60F temps. But, the sunset was amazing and I ran a decent tempo pace, so all was well.

  

Friday Fitness: More Active Recovery
After Thursday’s busyness, I kept things easy-peasy on Friday. I got out for a chilly walk in the pre-workday hours (temps were in the upper-40F range…YIKES!). Fortunately, the temps had warmed up by late morning, so I was able to take my lunch walk outside.


Saturday - Lots of walking!
With an early start to the day, I postponed my “Saturday long run” to Sunday. Instead, there was over three cumulative miles of walking around Kinnick Stadium for the Iowa football game. We won’t discuss the game’s outcome, though, against Ohio State.


…and what’s on tap for Sunday?
There’s an eight mile run on-deck in the early Sunday morning hours. The forecast is looking a bit cool, but clear and dry. 

Not a bad week, in terms of fitness and weather. Thankfully, after the Thursday morning’s rain ended, that was the last we saw of any precipitation. Running had almost 15 miles of action (with another eight happening Sunday morning if all goes as planned). Walking had a decent 17 miles logged. Biking was bleak, with 16 miles in the saddle. Strength training was great this week, especially with Wednesday evening’s hour-long session.

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Anyone else a fan of cheetah print? How about if it’s in a non-traditional color scheme? When I saw this black and brown skirt, it was a no-brainer to throw it in my art. Besides, it’s a fun twist on the black and brown color combo.


We have had so much rain! We were on track for a record-setting wet September, but fell just short of setting the record. 


And, now the forecast for this next week is looking dry and sunny! Bring it, Momma N!


Finally, if you caught Friday’s coffee post, you saw my most recent battle wounds. Suffice it to say, one of the doorframe dividers, in the skywalk, and I had a slight collision a week ago. Although I was at fault for not paying close attention (as I was messing with a photo on my phone), the cream color was nearly invisible from a distance. Alas, the nasty yellow bruising has since mostly faded, but the delayed “black eye” bruising is looking freaky.  

The yellow bruising didn’t appear until almost four days later, and the purple bruising came a day after that. Lovely, huh!

Look closely…can you see the divider from a distance? 

So, that’s what’s been happening this past week. I’ve hopefully seen the last of the rain for awhile, my battle wounds are almost healed, and I’m approaching taper for the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (race day is in two weeks).

How are things in your world? Rainy weather? Delayed summer weather, or does it feel like autumn? Ever walked into a nearly-invisible door frame? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

  1. Your weather looks a lot better for next week; finally, right?! Ours looks pretty good, too.

    Ugh, so sorry about the Iowa loss this afternoon. Last night my Hokies missed a field goal with three seconds left which would have won the game so we lost, too. :-(

    BTW, I love your Friday fashion flare outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, please send some of that rain our way! Switzerland desperately needs it. The lake levels are so low that some boat crossings have had to stop, so I’d happily take a few of your rainy days!
    Despite the weather, you still had a solid week of running, biking, walking and strength work. And now you’re heading into taper for the half! Two weeks already… good luck with those final preparations! I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splish splash! Congrats on getting the best of a soggy week, and your reward is the great forecast for next week. Now we just need Momma N to hold to her side of the agreement and make it happen.

    I've never been much of a moon watcher, but this year my friends had a Harvest Moon party, and I think I might be hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job getting it in, despite the weather. Your forecast this week looks so perfect! Good luck with the 8 miler today - hopefully it stays dry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for eventually getting that run done last Sunday. At that point I probably would have just pushed it to another day! You got a lot done in all of that rain. Iowa is due for a nice week and that forecast looks great!
    Ok that door frame is hard to see! And not something I would be expecting to see there. Sorry about that bruising!
    How about those Buckeyes? :) At least it was not raining!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also had an unusually rainy few weeks and I am over it. I’m ready for the great fall weather. Hope your eye is starting to heal. Those selfies are dangerous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I'm so envious!!! Your weather next week looks PERFECT. That's like winter in Florida. We're still having a ton of rain, plus the humidity is insane. Temps are down a little (upper 80s) but it's still unpleasant. Send some of your cool air our way!
    I saw the end of that game, ugh! Me team now is University of Miami- one of the players on our high school team last year is playing for them now and it's so fun to see him!
    Nice week of runs and workouts- I need an hour long strength session!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I hope you'll get that sunny and dry weather, you really deserve that. Nice work with your strength training. It's odd how sometimes you can work so hard and get zero DOMS and then you get it for nothing new.
    We've had some nice delayed summer weather this weekend. Such a treat! Generally the autumn has been very warm so far. I'm not saying no to that!

    ReplyDelete