Thursday, June 30, 2016

What's in a (bike's) name?



What do you say? Want to help me name my bike?

Why does my bike need a name? Because just calling it "my bike" is pretty boring.

I'm not really into boring...have you ever seen me with a plain pony tail? Or all in black? Or in white shoes?

Here's my bike...it's a Mongoose mountain bike. Nothing fancy, but it's been working great for me.

In chatting with various (biker) friends recently, I have noticed several have named their bikes (affectionately and otherwise). One friend, Kelli, owns several bikes...and each bike has a distinct  name. Another fiend, Paula, has never named any of her bikes (though she did challenge me, asking if I've named any of my running shoes).

There are five compelling reasons this may sound totally crazy...

1--I'm not really that much into cycling, but I am in to cross-training. My running is my first love (fitness-wise), but I know to become a better runner I need to do more than just run. Cycling is a great activity... not only for cardio, but also for strengthening your legs.

2--I don't have all the extra gear, but I do have the basic necessities...a bike and helmet. I'm not yet convinced gloves are needed (anyone care to chime in on that?). The padded shorts not only look dorky (#unfashionable), but eeewwwww. Doesn't it feel like a thick diaper when you're not sitting "in the saddle?" And biking shoes.....that's just an accident waiting to happen.

3--I don't have time for long rides, but (somehow) I am able to make time for long runs. I suppose it's a matter of priority. I have only done one competitive cycling endeavor(a duathlon...recap HERE), so I don't have much experience with what even constitutes an effective cycling workout. An hour long? Hills? Speed? Some of everything?

4--I don't know much for bike maintenance. I've never changed a tire (or even pumped air into them). I have played around with the height of my seat, though. I'm still trying to figure out gear-shifting, and how it plays into cadence. Pathetic, huh!

5--I have only been consistently riding my bike for a few years, although I have owned it a long time. That's right...I rode my bike now and then when I first got it (nearly 10 years ago), but then it got put in storage for the winter and I never took it back out until a few years ago.


I guess one could say my bike and me have had a bit of a rocky relationship. After all, there is not much love lost when I chose my running shoes over a ride.

I am starting to appreciate what my bike can do for me, though. There's a bike trail (about a mile from my house) that goes out to a state park. It's an approximate 15-mile round trip, and it's very hilly. I have run the route many times, and it's tough. But it's a very different experience doing it on wheels, especially on a windy day. It's a substantial conquest to make it all the way over those hills (and back!) without having to dismount and walk!


Those same tires that stubbornly fight the uphills also thoroughly enjoy the downhills. Also, riding allows for intermittent coasting, which gives the legs (and lungs) some much-earned downtime....as we make our way to the next incline.


It's no secret the Mongoose and I have been spending more time together....I might as well give it a name and make it official. Any suggestions?

Do you cross-train on a bike? Ever done a duathlon? Does your bike have a name?



 I'm linking up with Courtney from Eat Pray Run DC, Mar from Mar on the Run!, and Cynthia from You signed up for WHAT?! for the Friday Five. Head over, check out their blogs and also all the other linked blogs for some great reading!






39 comments:

  1. I actually didn't know people named their bikes until recently. Not sure if I have been living under a rock or not !?
    How do you give it a name ? Is it a boy or a girl ? Or a completely neutral name, like a pet ?
    You could name it after my cat, Faust. I would be honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the bike naming either...but I have seen it in several different blogs, etc. So....I gotta join the party ;-)

      Delete
  2. I thought I was the only person who didn't name her bike. When I learned that naming your bike was "a thing", I felt the pressure. I also felt kind of silly, which is why my bike is unnamed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...I don't feel silly ;-) I'm hoping the naming thing will make my relationship with "my bike" be even stronger (#wishfulthinking)

      Delete
  3. Since I don't like biking, I have a stationary bike for the cross training. If I had a regular bike, though, I'd probably have the padded tights. When I did spinning for a little while many years ago, even with them it hurt down there! My stationary bike is very comfortable, though, so I don't need them.

    I'm not really a good naming person: my first cat was named Puss (although the full name was Puss n Boots because of her white socks; of course she was always just Puss), and I call my treadmill & my car Old Faithful, because they're both about as old and still working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ridden a bike since my honeymoon 5 years ago. When I was a teenager I biked all of the time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through spurts of biking enthusiasm.....I like it because it doesn't take much planning, especially if I just go on the trail

      Delete
  5. LOL yes my bike is Betty and we are off on a ride this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a SIL named Betty....so I probably won't go with that name LOL I got a lot of great suggestions, though ;-)

      Delete
  6. LOL I like deborah's bike's name. I say go with some classic female name like she did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I like the classic name idea...but I also have a funky (crazy?) side of me, too...and I might go with something totally "out there...." Stay tuned...

      Delete
  7. I'm still mulling over names for your bike ;) Queen B (bike)? Haha. Anyway, get the gloves. They'll help prevent nerve damage in your hands, wrists and fingers (especially important if you've got Reynauds. But you're more upright on that bike and not riding incredibly long distances so maybe it'll never be an issue. You're not putting air in your tires?! If Pat's doing that for you, I'm impressed! If no one is, give it a try. It'll make a world of difference in efficiency. Can't go by how the tire feels, might feel full, but you could essentially be riding on flat tires and not know it. I pump mine every ride. Go for the padded shorts!! You'll never look back. And no one would look better in them than you! Still mulling over bike names......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....I'll be mulling over bike names for YOU.....let's do this together ;-)

      Delete
  8. I think if I had a bike, I'd name her (and I'm quite sure it would be a her, lol). But it would definitely be tough - good luck choosing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot of great suggestions and insights into the naming thing....so, stay tuned...

      Delete
  9. I ride a road bike, so it may be different, but I can't imagine riding without padded shorts, dorky or not. And gloves just protect your hands, so I always used those too. But, I never named my bike, so I'm afraid a can't help there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that the padded shorts serve a purpose...but, they look bad LOL I will probably have to come around on this issue, though....

      Delete
  10. I have a Kona Coco, so I name my bike Coco Chanel - obviously haha. Yours definitely needs a name. Let's see... Mona Mongoose? MoMo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions!! I'm gonna have to make a list of all these name possibilities and rank them...

      Delete
  11. This is cute!b I didn't know people named their bikes! I have aa bike that I got a few years ago and I love it although I don't use it nearly as much as I would like because it is such a hassle to load it up and drive it to a good bike path!
    We have named our boats (which is not that unusual) and have named our security system since we heard the ladies voice talking all the time telling us which doors were open (we call her Dora...lol). We've never named cars or bikes or shoes though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never loaded up "my bike" and taken her (him?) anywhere yet.....I just mount and go from my driveway LOL (See, I'm really slow to the cause)

      Delete
  12. I'm thinking about getting a new bike, I never thought of giving it a name! Unfortunately I don't have any ideas. But cycling is a great form of exercise and I just enjoy the change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the change of pace is fun! The time goes a lot faster when you're covering more ground ;-)

      Delete
  13. I am not a big bike fan, can't remember the last time I was on one! I think you should name her. something that rhymes with mongoose?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My bike is nameless, but I'd pick a "classic" M name for your Mongoose - maybe Maltida? Especially if you liked the Roald Dahl book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, Matilda.....that's a name that had not crossed my mind....;-)

      Delete
  15. I'm SO bad with names. Maybe scooby haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never learned how to ride.... maybe Rocky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might need to write another post,listing all these possible names and have my followers vote ;-)

      Delete
  17. I am not good at naming other people's bikes. Mine all have a story of some sort. On the gloves topic, I agree that they help protect your hands. 1, protect from numbness and nerve damage on ride, and 2, protect from road rash and damage in the event of a crash or protect from thorns if mountain biking or riding on trails where greenery can get in the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the glove importance thing now...but, tan lines? ;-)

      Delete
  18. Ok, so people have already covered the reason for the gloves. The shorts are for comfort...I find I'm still uncomfortable but less so. Also, I wear tri shorts more often than bike shorts which have a lot less padding.
    As for the naming; I was never into naming my bike, but then I pulled it out of storage and discovered that I could ride it--at first I couldn't and got another bike--so I called her Phoenix. For your bike, you have to decide if it's a girl or a boy naturally :P . Could be Monty the mountain bike, Mona the mongoose...that's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name Phoenix! It sounds regal! Mona is also appropriate...because the day following a long ride, there's usually some "moaning" from the saddle region.... maybe "Moana" (?)

      Delete
  19. Haha, I just got a bike, but not sure I'll name it (although I do refer to it as "her"). And I agree...I think as long as we have the bike and helmet and aren't planning on riding for hours upon hours then we have all the gear we need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten a lot of great ideas on names.....it looks like I need to eventually invest in some more gear, too.... (though I'd rather spend my $$$ on running shoes)

      Delete
  20. I have a bike, but I never thought of naming it. I want to eventually do triathlons so maybe at that point I'll become more intimate with my bike...lol

    ReplyDelete