Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Did I forget something?



It's quite amazing what a brief sabbatical can do to one's mind and memory.

Take, for example, my experience with this phenomenon following my 3-month sabbatical from running. It's not exactly like I'm new to the sport of running. After all, I've been lacing up and hitting the road for over 12 years....I should have all the details down-pat, right?

WRONG!


There are a lot of things that have come back naturally, and (at times) it seems like the past three months were just a strange dream. But, then there's some other details that I keep forgetting....

Believe it or not, I keep forgetting my Ipod when I head out for a run! Yes, you read that correctly...Kim, the lover of all things music, keeps leaving her music behind. Now, there's nothing wrong with running sans tunes, but it's very much out-of-character for me to do so. I think it's because I rarely took my Ipod with me for most of my summer walking. In simple terms, I have gotten out of the routine of not only charging my Ipod, but also remembering to grab it from the charging station. Oh well...
Hmmm...that looks like an Ipod cord....
A huge staple to my running accessories is a pair of sunglasses. Not only am I on a mission to protect my sensitive eyes from the sun, but I'm also determined to prevent as many wrinkles as possible from taking over my delicate skin. Typically, I wear my sunglasses every waking minute of outdoor activity (when there's daylight)...but the sunglasses are getting forgotten as well. I attribute that to the many miles walked in the early morning hours (before the sunrise) this summer (when I was not allowed--or able--to run).
 sunglasses are a usual necessity for me
Another skill that has gone by the wayside is the fine art of layering. Mind you, I know what kinds of layers are needed for various types of weather conditions and erratic temps (hello, Iowa runner here!).Well, since I spent the summer walking (and not running), I had to fine-tune my clothing strategy. Walking is a great energy-burning exercise, but it is not as "heat-producing" as running (at least it wasn't for me). When the temps unexpectedly turned chilly In August (and I still wasn't running), I had to add layers. Now that I'm back to running (with occasional walk intervals), I don't need to be dressed as "warmly," as when I was walking...but now the temps are turning again (this time to the actual fall-like temps they should be), and I've been thrown into another state of confusion.
I love arm warmers with a tank on a cool morning
Just after my surgery, I was given a couple of different compression sleeves to wear over my knee. The compression helped with keeping everything nice & tight as the suture seam healed (and sealed) as well as providing an added boost of stability to the entire knee region. Now that the seam is pretty well healed, all that remains is gaining back the range of motion for the knee. Compression is not required (or crucial), but definitely not a bad thing to utilize as I transition back to running. That said...Any guesses how many times I have remembered to wear compression (of any sort) around my knee for running? ((ONCE, that's it))
I did remember to wear compression for a recent stair workout 
Oh yeah, how about those wool socks? I did wear wool socks a few times for my long walking expeditions, but those were the exception and not the norm. Now that I'm officially running again, I should be wearing the wool socks for most of the runs.
wool socks...'nuff said
And the watch? It's no secret that I am not much of a technology gadget gal. I appreciate the availability of stats after I finish a run, but really don't feel compelled to have them on my wrist for constant viewing when I'm in motion. Just not my gig. But, now as I transition back, I'm trying to take things easy (translation: SLOWLY and with walking intervals). That watch may be a valuable resource in keeping me from running too fast (or too far) too soon.
key stats to peruse...
So, that's a small dose of my current reality. Nothing bad, but it's annoying that these little details can get overlooked so easily. Could it be that I'm just so excited and eager to get laced up and out the door that I'm not taking the time to do a once-over? (Yes, that's what I'm going with) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

How about YOU? Talk to me...do you find yourself forgetting certain running details on occasion? Have you ever had to head back to the house to retrieve a necessary something that was forgotten? What is the ONE necessary "must-have" that you never forget? 

**I'm linking up with Nicole and Annmarie for the Wild Wednesday Workout

...and with Susie and Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner. 





18 comments:

  1. Im sure you will get back into your routine! I think you are just so excited to be running that you don't want to worry about remembering all the little details:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy! I'll be 1/2 mile into a run and realize I don't have my music, etc....just far enough that it's not worth turnigngaround and going back.

      Delete
  2. I always have my phone on my for emergencies and selfies of course! I just use that for music as well but mostly I run with friends so no music. I forget my water bottle sometimes even though I am always thirsty and need it. You will get your routine back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start taking my phone with me for walking (you know, #selfies), but I usually don't have it along for running....which is why a lot of my recent selfies are "back on the porch" LOL

      Delete
  3. I think it's normal that you would forget a few things as you've been out of your running routine for a while, but I'm sure everything will come back soon! I'm just so happy for you because i know you've been wanting to return to running for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....yes, I know it won't take long to get my routine back. I'm just surprised it's even an issue LOL

      Delete
  4. It seems like when winter comes, I always forget how to dress! I'm sure I'll be reminded soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is so temperamental in the spring and fall....the "hot breezes" on a cool fall day really throw me off, as do the cool winds on a bright & sunny afternoon

      Delete
  5. Um, have you read my blog -- LOL? I almost always forget something when I leave the house (but usually remember it in time). And it ain't a vacation if I don't forget something at home. Not usually something critical, but sometimes . . .

    As to how to dress -- I swear, it's just always hard. 50 degrees in Fall doesn't equal 50 degrees in Spring, for instance. It's only easy when it's extremely hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it's easiest when it's extremely hot because you don't have to wonder about anything ;-)

      Delete
  6. Aw, things will definitely get back into routine for you soon! I tend to forget events that I need to participate in, like various conference calls outside of work - so I have to meticulously write everything down in my Passion Planner so I don't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost never forget my Garmin but given how casual my running has been these days, sometimes I even forget that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's interesting. All the little things you don't even think twice about when you're in a consistent routine.

    I don't mind running sans music, but I always take my phone. Safety first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did my first fall race this weekend and was so paranoid I would forget something. I am a creature of habit and routine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use to hate when I would forget my ipod! Sometimes I will just play music on my phone sans earbuds but I don't care because there usually isn't anybody else around me to hear it. And if all else fails, I've run music-less. That's when I knew I had matured as a runner...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure that after a couple of more weeks you'll be back to your routine and it'll feel like you never broke your return. Returning to the old norm can sometimes take a lot of time and patience. You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seem to forget my socks.

    I've had to stop at a drug store and buy a cheap pair in order to go run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so amazing!! You are doing great and in no time you will be back on your routine for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete