Thursday, September 21, 2017

Gettin' My Giddy On...



Gosh, I'm feeling SOOOO giddy!

Momma N has finally gifted me some weather I can be thankful for. I know, I know....I'm on my own little island with this, but the brief return-to-summer temps has left me so giddy! Or, maybe it's the return to running? Quite possibly, both!


Let's chat about this week's activities, and maybe you'll be able to share in my giddiness.

*On Thursday, I had a hot & humid run!
I realize that heat and humidity make for tough (even hateful?) conditions for running. But when the gift of running has been taken away from a runner....well, they will long for ANY kind of running, even if it involves extreme heat or bone-chilling/buttocks-freezing cold. Seriously, every sweaty selfie I have seen since June 29th has left me green with a bitter taste of envy scalding my throat. Isn't it ironic (or maybe it's Fate?) that the heat of summer would return for my first week back in my running shoes? I'm just thankful to get to experience a small taste of what I missed these past three months.
Oh, did it EVER feel great to sweat in the early morning heat & humidity!
*On Wednesday, I did a stair workout (also outside,  in the heat)!
Granted, stair climbing is not at the top of most people's lists of favorites, but it's one of my favorite cross-training options for my legs, glutes, and cardio in general. This is another activity that has not happened for several months and I'm glad to welcome it back to my workout arsenal. It's only recently that I've been able to go up (and down) a stairway without needing the handrail. Don't forget, a recovering knee that has limited bend-ability can be a face-plant-waiting-to-happen, especially on a stairway.
Back on the outdoor stairway
*On Sunday, I went for an 8-mile bike ride on a somewhat hilly route).
It's true, I have never been an avid cyclist. Ugh. The thought of padded shorts and clip-in shoes totally creep (and freak!) me out. But not being able to ride my bike for the past three months has been a bummer. So many well-meaning friends encouraged me to go riding (when I was not able to run)...but, again, there was that knee thing (with a 6-inch suture seam right over it that needed to heal). I still do not have full range of motion back in my knee, but I can bend it enough (finally!) that the pedaling no longer puts any additional stress/strain on it.
Yay! The knee liked the bike!
*On Saturday, I went to my first college football game in a long time.
My beloved Iowa Hawkeyes hosted Northern Texas, and won! This game was a fun time on a beautiful (warm) afternoon, but the stadium is quite cramped for a gal like me with unusually long legs. There's no way my legs (and that compromised knee) could have handled the close confines of the stadium seating a few weeks ago. The fact that I can (now) bend my knee almost 45-degrees, certainly made for a much more enjoyable experience.
Go Hawks!
*This was my first week back in my running shoes...and nothing hurts!
 I have been pleasantly surprised how smooth this transition has gone thus far. I'm taking things slow and easy. I'm doing plenty of dynamic warm-ups (and cool-downs/stretching/foam rolling). I'm using intermittent walk intervals. And, I'm not going very far (yet). My first race of the season is a 5K (next weekend). Obviously, I will not be "racing" it, nor will I even be thinking of attempting to PR (ha! wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster?). I'd like to be able to run the entire distance, but I'm not afraid or embarrassed to use run/walk intervals if need be. I'm just so grateful to be running again!
Everything feels great!
So, can you see where all this giddiness is coming from? My Road to Recovery has lead me to this Return to Running state of bliss, and I'm eager and excited for this next season. After all, I waited all summer for it!

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0. Today we're talking about fall activities...Please join us!! 



27 comments:

  1. Im so glad you have been able to get back to all the activities you enjoy! I agree, after an injury you will be happy to run in just about any conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? And I will not be complaining about any kind of weather (well, except maybe rain LOL).

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying running in the heat! It was a struggle for me to do my 5.5 yesterday, and I'm so glad I'm not running the Chicago Half Marathon this weekend. I like the heat but this is a little extreme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This heat is what I truly missed (you know, back in July), but it is a bit extreme for late September. Still, I'm thankful to be outside and running, so I'll take it ;-)

      Delete
  3. That's pretty awesome how smooth your return to running has been.

    As to the heat & humidity -- you're welcome to all of it! For the first time in weeks Bandit refused his breakfast again this morning. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you have rain coming LOL We've noticed every now and then when Max won't eat (for an entire day or longer) almost always, we get hit with a major storm...it's like he knows the rain is coming and he doesn't want to be outside (for his "doggy business" walks), so he avoids needing" to go outside

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad the hot weather has returned for you!!! Wahoo!!! And I'm really glad nothing hurts. That's the best news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even after that stair workout, nothing. I was expecting some DOMS to pay me a visit...

      Delete
  5. Go girl! You put in the work and I am glad your running has been working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good...but this is just my first week back. Hoping things go smoothly as I gradually increase my mileage.

      Delete
  6. It is just so great to see you out there enjoying your running and biking again. You deserve to be a little giddy! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...I may be "a lot giddy" after tomorrow's 5-miler ;-)

      Delete
  7. You know how I feel about this weather, but I am so happy to see you back out there. Be giddy - you've waited a long time for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it feels like forever since I've ran in the heat!

      Delete
  8. I actually backed out of my run yesterday due to the heat and my feet. Glad you're feeling happy though. I've been there, and I felt sooooo much better when I could run again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see you out there again not that you weren't active when you weren't running. But I know that you are much happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying active was a no-brainer, but the running was missed.

      Delete
  10. So much to celebrate! Beautiful fall running weather and of course the big one being back in your running shoes!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm glad that I'm getting a little bit of "summer running" in right now, and I'm looking forward to fall ;-)

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you are loving this weather and your return to running!
    I'm loving the weather too. Give me hot and humid any day over the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! I can handle the frigid cold of winter,but I much prefer the heat of summer. No argument, No debate.

      Delete
  12. Excited for you! You'll be running races pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Those are great reasons to be giddy for sure! So glad your return to running is going so well! And stairs too? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me all giddy, too! You were very active last week. Hope your knee continues to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you are feeling so good! You are such a dedicated runner and it inspires me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay... I'm so happy for you to be back running! What a fun week full of variety!

    ReplyDelete