Sunday, September 3, 2017

It's almost Go Time!



YIKES. Is it really September? Seriously? The good news? It's almost time for my Return to Running comeback. The bad news? The days are getting shorter (and darker) as we (reluctantly) bid summer farewell.

The previous week felt like so much of a roller coaster. This week, though, felt much more calm...kind of like a peaceful ride on a tranquil lake. And, it feels like the recovery has finally turned a significant corner.....here's what went down:

Monday-2 miles
Eager for an easy "recovery" day, I opted for a short 2-miler in the wee hours. The neat thing about these early morning jaunts, is that most of the city is still asleep. I literally had the entire town to myself, or at the very least, an entire street...so why stop, drop, and plank in the middle of it? Because I can! Another #nevermissaMonday in the books.
Planking in the middle of a street? Sure, why not?
Tuesday-5.5 miles
Another chilly morning, but it always feels good to be outside, regardless.Also, later in the evening, my friend, Barb, met me for a much-needed 5K "catch-up" (you know, when it's not so much about the miles but the conversation).

I'm grateful for every sunrise...even if they're coming later and later...
Wednesday-5 miles
I was headed out for a quick 2-miler, and Max gave me this look. Anyone with a dog knows what I'm talking about...the big brown eyes, pleading, looking so deeply into my soul....so I grabbed his leash and brought him along with me. Of course, we stopped numerous times (maybe 10?), but he was so excited to be out walking with his mommy that we definitely had a fast pace. No regrets. I also had some sister time with my sister...via a late afternoon walk.
How could I say, "No" to this face?
Guess what also happened on Wednesday? I registered for my first Return To Running race! It's only a 5K, but it will feel like an ultra experience, given the past 12 weeks of my life. Although I think it's kind of cheesy for a 5K to come with a medal (unless you're in the top of your age group, etc.), this medal will represent so much more than the finish line...it's a race at my alma mater (the University of Iowa), and the event benefits the Iowa Dance Marathon (which raises funds every year for kids with cancer). The medal is huge (from the pics) and has a bottle opener on it.

Image may contain: text
I'm excited to add this baby to my hardware collection!
Thursday-5 miles
As I was getting ready to head out at 5:00 for my #5Kat5 with Barb, the hubby asked if I'd wait for him. So, the three of us walked in the early morning hours. I hadn't really noticed the days getting shorter in the morning hours...but now I have almost total darkness until just before I arrive back to my house (usually between 5:45-6:00). What's up with that?
Ann early morning walking and talking trio
Friday-2 miles
After three continuous days of 5 miles, a very slow-paced, easy day was on tap for  Friday (and I embraced it with open arms). A 2-miler in the chilly early hours, and that's all she wrote (and walked).
It's official...the first " thumb hole walk" was documented for the fall season...and it's not even technically fall yet
Saturday -5.5 miles
I woke up at exactly 5:00 without an alarm. I didn't want to leave the house so early, since it was Saturday and I'd have virtually all morning to walk. I laid back down for a quick 30-minute snooze...and woke up almost three hours later. Oops. My body has been feeling kind of fatigued lately, and I choose to listen to what it was telling me. I had hoped to walk five miles, but settled for four instead. and had ZERO guilt in cutting it short. I'm so close to returning to running, I have nothing to gain by overdoing the walking.
Another cool morning...
Later, the hubby and I ventured down the road to Iowa State University (Ames, IA) for their evening football game, hosting the University of Northern Iowa. Ironically, the hubby and I are University of Iowa alumni. Our oldest daughter graduated from ISU (May 2016), though, so we do have a solid connection to ISU (and paid for 4-years worth of tuition LOL). Although there is a huger-than-huge inner-state rival between Iowa and ISU, we are all  one state, after all. The hubby and I don't believe in rooting against our rivals unless it's game day and they're our opponents. #IowaProud
No hating on our alma mater's inner-state rival
Sunday - 4 miles
Well, it was another "sleeping in" kind of morning. Having returned home late from the football game, my body, mind, and soul were mucho tired. How tired? I usually wake up before my 5:00 alarm...but this particular morning I woke up just after 7:30.  I didn't want to walk super far, but I wanted to get outside and get my morning started (albeit slowly and later than usual).

I decided to pull out my Mizuno Wave Inspires...they have been quietly hibernating ever since Grandma's Marathon (June 17th). I had not wanted to wear them down with all of my walking (and have been using several other pairs from my arsenal), but I felt it was time to give them some action. As we (the hubby was with me) were nearing the final 1/2 mile, I had to stop and take a pic of this hill....it's about an entire mile...and I have not been on it since sometime before the marathon. I decided that this hill, right here, is gonna be one of the first conquests when I'm back running...and that day is drawing very near.

Reunited with the Mizuno Wave Inspires
So, there's another week in the wraps. My mileage is staying steady (29 miles this week), but I'm keeping it more moderate now in prepping for my big return to running. I have done a couple of slow, easy 50-meter (approx.) jogs and all feels good. Actually, all feels very well, indeed, but I am not going to run (or jog) any further until I have my surgeon's approval (I see him again on the 14th). As I have said numerous times, I have nothing to gain by overdoing it, especially this late in the game.

In case you missed them, here's what was posted last week:
The Recovery RoLlEr CoAsTeR
Assessing August
Can we talk? Over coffee?

Road to Recovery update:
Mobility is feeling awesome! Everything is feeling good. The walking, climbing (and descending) steps, and getting in/out of a car are no longer concerns. Even the few short mini-jogs felt pretty "normal."

Range of Motion seems to all of a sudden be going through a major upswing. Just this week, I had the revelation that it may be more of a joint stiffness thing (than a tight suture scar) that is at play. After all, I have not been bending my right knee much at all since early June. I have been slowly and very carefully bending the knee a tiny bit more each day. I'm still not able to do any deep squats or lunges, but I can definitely bend the knee further than 90 degrees now. Slow progress is, after all, progress, right?

The suture site is actually feeling better. The scar continues to lighten in color and it appears that tiny pinhead-size opening is officially closed. (and all draining has ceased). Who wants to join me in a round of "Amen!" That said, I know the suture seam is still vulnerable, so I know I have to NOT put any unnecessary strain on it (hence the moderate mileage instead of the crazy high mileage a few weeks ago). The swelling around the site has also continued to diminish (so both knees are almost back to being the same size).
Not the greatest pic(s)...but the color is fading (on right) and swelling is reduced

In other news:
Did you see my #FridayFashionFlair post this week (on my Instagram page )? I had no idea so many others had a fondness for camo! As I said in the post, it's not necessarily a look for a corporate setting, but it's still a fun alternative for semi-casual wear. This is not the battleground, so be careful you don't go too casual (or sloppy) with your accessories. I wore my vest with a long-sleeved top, black shorts, and black flats. I hope you'll consider joining me...post a pic on Friday, use the hashtag #FridayFashionFlair and tag me (@runningonthefly)....and I'll tag you back.
My take on camo...
I got to share a #Kimfession (kind of like a confession or a #runfession, but on a much more personal level). So here it is...I have not washed my hair since Thursday morning (#scandel #fessingup #keepingitreal). Being cursed (?) with a creative brain, I have gotten pretty accomplished at disguising my (less than clean) hair with up-do's, beachy waves (via the straightener), dry shampoo, and the clever placement of caps. That's all good....but sometimes, I #Kimfess that I take abuse these skills and let my hair go longer between shampooing than I really should. #oops I ran out of time on Sunday morning after my later-than-planned walk and before church...so #oopsIdiditagain...and clipped up the bangs and poofed the day-old beachy waves. There, now you know the real story.
not bad for 3.5 days of wear, right?
This little guy, Max, is just so cute! He loves his dental treats....we give him the treats as a reward for doing his business OUTSIDE. Every now and then, we find a stain on the living room rug (#eewww).
Maxton McArthur
And, finally, I wanted to share this filter-enhanced pic. I'm really on the fence with using filters. They do add a lot of funky details and touches (which my art geek persona is all over), but they also do not allow a simple photo to stand alone on its own merit (which annoys the art geek in me as well). I sometimes find myself feeling dependent on filters...and get sloppy in taking pics because I know I can always "filter them up" and make them presentable. I know, first world probs aside, there are far greater things to think about. What's your opinion on filters?

What do you think?
I'm linking up with Montana (on behalf of Holly and Tricia) for the Weekly Wrap. Please join us!



35 comments:

  1. I dunno Kim if I agree that 29 miles is moderate mileage! My weekly average is usually around 20 with lots of cross training. And yes, I do like filters. If I need to lighten up a dark photo, a gentle filter can make all the difference. Sometimes its fun to totally doctor up a pic like you did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...in my defense, I'll just say that these are all walking miles, and are done much slower than running LOL There's no way I'd be running these kind of miles each week. I agree with lightening up a dark pic...but I sometimes feel guilty. It's hard to know when to stop!

      Delete
  2. 29 miles would be a lot for me, even in marathon training. So glad the knee is feeling good though! That's a nice medal to celebrate your return to running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 29 miles would not be happening if they were by means of running....I do not like going over 20-25 miles/week, even in 26.2 training mode. Just not my gig LOL I'm hoping the knee continues on this upswing ;-)

      Delete
  3. So excited to hear that running is right around the corner. You have handled these 12 weeks with so much grace. I'm ready to cheer you on when you take on that hill!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I have had the BEST cheer squad through all of this ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great job! I'm so excited to hear that you have your first return to running race planned! I'm sure that it will be a lot of fun for you to get out there again in the race atmosphere. I'm sure that this has felt like a really long time for you but I can't believe that you are already almost to your appoint where you hear the news if you are able to return to running on the 14th. Keep up the great work with your recovery. The time is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a long time coming...hopefully I'm not jinxing it by getting all excited this soon...

      Delete
  5. It's great that you registered for a race! I'm excited to see your comeback to running. You have done such a great job dealing with everything and keeping up your fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! It's been an interesting journey..very eye-opening!

      Delete
  6. I love those catch-up walks! They are some of the best miles logged. I'm excited your return to running is so close. You keep me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I have a great bunch of blogging running gals (ahem) that have kept me inspired through all of this ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad your recovery is going so well! That medal will mean so much to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might very well sleep with that medal after I receive it LOL It will, indeed, mean a lot ;-)

      Delete
  8. Heck, I think it'd be easier to run 29 miles per week than walk them! That's impressive! Good luck with your return to running ...we are all rooting for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...when I was in 26.2 training mode, those high-mileage weeks had me very fatigued...But the running miles definitely go a lot faster

      Delete
  9. So happy for you! Can't wait for the comeback. 💪💪💪 You look awesome in camo, btw!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job this week! Its so exciting that you will be running again soon. It will be awesome to run your first race after all of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that first race will be slow in comparison to other races...but I'm alright with that.

      Delete
  11. SO looking forward to your return to running! But in full admiration that you have just kept going, and kept walking! That's brilliant. I know those doggie eyes verrryyyy well! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doggie eyes are SO painful to ignore ....they get me every time

      Delete
  12. I am so happy to hear recovery is going well and you can return to running soon!!! That medal will mean so much!

    Also, I love your #FridayFashionFlair posts! It so fun to see people in clothes other than their running stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it's fun to see people without sweaty pony tails and hats and running gear ;-)

      Delete
  13. Woo-hoo! It's almost here! Conquer that hill and get that medal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Racking up the miles again?! There is going to be no holding you back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lot of miles, no matter how you slice it! You are doing great!

    You would be hard-pressed to find a 5K here that comes withOUT a medal. It's funny how that changes from region to region.

    Max is a cutie. The pugs want nothing to do with going for walks. When I get up to sneak out early in the morning, they give me the stink eye for daring to wake them up and then return to their snoozing. They are truly the laziest.

    Keep going! I am so excited for you to be back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a massive amount of walking, very impressive!! It's getting colder here in the mornings so I haven't been running early and miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited for you to return to running! You've done such an amazing job managing this road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to read about your return to running! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh your first jog, great to hear that you're almost on your way to get back to running! And the 5K sounds like the perfect welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for registering for your first post injury race! I'm sure that you're counting down the days, hours, and minutes to race day. And that is one huge medal for a 5k. Wow, quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! I know how excited you must be to return your running. Awesome that you even found a race to celebrate getting back to it! I go very long between washing my hair, but I've always heard minimal washing is healthy for your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are really rocking this recovery. I think it's awesome you have kept up your fitness so well! Here's hoping you will be running very soon.

    ReplyDelete