Monday, April 30, 2018

Every Picture Tells a Story


Doesn't every picture (good or bad) tell a story?

Being a runner (and a blogger), I'm seldom ever without a phone/camera at the ready. Occasionally, though, other people are able to capture my special moments without any cues from me. Those, my friends, are the pics that truly speak volumes.


For example:

The strength of family
Three of my cousins and myself began tossing around the  idea of doing a marathon relay in the fall of 2015, shortly after I'd completed the Quad Cities Marathon on a relay team. I registered our team, The Gunhus Gals (in memory of our Gramma Grayce) in late December, and we all committed to the September 2016 event. A few months later, our Aunt Linda (Jessica's mother) was diagnosed with colon cancer, and underwent treatment for several months that spring and summer. We decided to dedicate our race to her, and since we weren't able to rally a fifth family member to join our relay team, we made Linda the honorary fifth "runner." Upon completion, we gave her the extra event shirt and medal. I totally love the picture of us approaching the finish line...it was a hot and humid day, but we all had smiles on our faces
Approaching the finish line with Jessica, Kelly, and Rhonda
A victorious finish
The Quad Cities Marathon definitely has a special place in my heart because it was my first marathon (September 2013). I was lucky to be blessed with a near-perfect experience for my first attempt at 26.2 miles. Perfect weather, scenic course, and no issues with fueling. Then, just after hitting the 25-mile mark, I was taking a quick walk break while drinking some water. A fellow runner, named Dean, passed me and said "Hey, you can't stop now! You're almost done! C'mon, I'll run you in!" It turned out that Dean had run every QC Marathon, and when I told him it was my first marathon, he high-5'd me, and shouted to the crowd, "Everyone, this is Kim, and it's her first marathon!" Everyone cheered. Dean continued to rally the crowd several times throughout that final mile on my behalf. We crossed the finish line, high-5'd again...and he quickly grabbed a guy standing alongside the finish line. This guy was none other than the race director, Joe Moreno, and Dean immediately introduced us to each other, and he (again) shared my story of running my first marathon. Joe congratulated me, and thanked me for choosing the Quad Cities Marathon for this monumental accomplishment. How I got through that final mile (and all the cheering) and then meeting the race director without crying is beyond me. Every time I see this picture, I remember that epic day.
The hubby snapped this pic of Dean and myself, about 1/2 mile before the finish line
A job well done
I ran my second marathon, the IMT Des Moines Marathon in October 2014. The course had some serious hills and there was a lot of wind. As I was coming up the final hill, just before the 26-mile mark, I noticed my husband. He joined me on the course for a short minute, a friend (Marie) was along the course and high-5'd me, and then I spotted our youngest daughter...capturing all of this on film. I rounded the corner, and crossed the bridge that lead me to the finish line. Despite the course being more challenging that Quad Cities course, I squeaked in with a PR of a few seconds. Isn't that crazy...running two very different courses but finishing within a few seconds of each other?

With the hubby, and then high-5'ing Marie
There are no friends like runner friends
I had known Karen for awhile via Facebook (through interaction with running pages), and when she was in Des Moines for a running conference, we were able to meet up and run a race together (don't all running friends do that?). Historically, the Drake Relays Half Marathon is a hilly course. I have run it four times, and although the route has changed a bit each time, there are always plenty of hills. In 2015, the course had a huge hill near the 11-mile mark, affectionately named Bulldog Hill. The hill itself wasn't even a 1/2-mile in distance, but it was pretty steep. Karen and I were determined to make it all the way to the top without walking (even though there were more walkers than runners at that point). Upon reaching the top, we grabbed a volunteer to take our picture...not knowing he'd snapped the pic when we weren't looking. How's that for timing?
Bulldog Hill didn't have anything on us
When the going gets tough, the tough finish the race
A friend, Paula, persuaded me to do a duathlon with her. It wasn't too hard of a sell, although my cycling experience (still to this day) is quite minimal. Also, this was a mere two weeks following my first-ever ultra (a 6-hour overnight adventure). Anyways, the course had us running a 5K, biking 20 (rather hilly) miles, and then running another 1-1/2 mile jaunt to the finish line. Oh gosh...having never biked 20 hilly miles, my legs were an exhausted mess upon dismounting  my bike. That simple 1-1/2 mile run was not so simple after all. Most of the other runners were moving in slow motion as well. Paula finished ahead of me, and was waiting at the finish line. I was able to finish in just under 2-hours, which ultimately was my goal, but I was totally in zombie-mode...and Paula totally captured my state of mind.
Although my legs felt like Jello, they carried me to the finish line
The truth hurts
A few years ago, I ran a half marathon in my hometown. It's a relatively small event, but it's my hometown, so I usually try to take part. Also, it's a looped course (that we run twice), and it goes right by my house. Let me just say it was a hot, humid day in June and I was just getting over some plantar fasciitis issues. The hubby was a course marshal (near our house), and snapped my pic at the approximate 6.5-mile mark and then again near the finish line. Ugh. Although I made it to the finish line, it's pretty obvious I should have sat this one out. 
How's that for compromised form?
And, finally, the rally back after a set back can be epic
Emergency surgery was no picnic. Being side-lined for three months was not fun either. But honoring and respecting the necessary recovery played big dividends for me. June 29th was that dark day that landed me on the operating table.  I was granted clearance to resume running in mid-September. Two months later, I was able to run the R'n'R Las Vegas Half Marathon. Since then, I've been able to resume my running and have never felt better or stronger.
Image may contain: Kimberly Busse-Hatting, text
I even have my water bottle and gel armed and ready because I was so thirsty
These are just a few samples of favorite pics that accurately document my experiences in racing. Not every race rewards the runner with a fantastic finish time, but every race does teach valuable lessons. And, I keep going back for more.

Do you ever keep record of your races, via pics? Do you buy any of the official pictures, or just go with your own?  

**I'm  linking up with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.  

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.


36 comments:

  1. I have bought race pics a couple of times but usually I just try to take my own before and after the race. I love when some of the smaller races give free pics! Its always fun to look back on races and remember all the details about that event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...my own personal (or from friends/hubby) are just as good if not better. Only one of the above pics is an "official" race pic LOL

      Delete
  2. I buy race pics from "some" of the big races I've done but not all. I notice I've got no professional ones from Marine Corps...that I can find at least. None from my 2nd and 3rd BQ races either. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically don't buy the official pics because of their price, and don't know what I'd honestly do with them anyways. I don't mind the "watermark" ones I have because I usually have a few other ones from the hubby or selfies

      Delete
  3. I've purchased a few digital pics and I kept everything in a scrapbook. One day I will be able to look back on all my races and laugh (or cry, haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I do so much blogging, that kind of serves as my online "scrapbook." It would be a major feat to get all of this stuff printed in hard-copy form LOL

      Delete
  4. I feel like good or bad, a race picture is the best souvenir. Glad you've captured so many good race memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I feel the same about race recaps...even the bad races have a lot of great lessons learned, and they give us stepping stones towards progress and improvements.

      Delete
  5. Aww, those are great photos! I'm glad you and your friends were able to capture so many awesome race memories! I've only ever run two, but I like having those race photos for memories too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having all of these memories...even the bad ones LOL

      Delete
  6. Your photos are awesome and make me regret not buying more! I get cheap and I’m like well what am I gonna really do with these photos 5 years from now? And I am very vertical of photos of me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...none of these photos are purchases. Only the last one is an official race pic...and, obviously, that's the "sample" from the post-race email. ha! I'm cheap, too ;-)

      Delete
  7. Nope. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to look at the pictures. One of the best pictures was at Disney, where the photographer took a picture of my dad and me before I did my first half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving all these pics! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's kind of fun to relive these memories (even the "struggle" ones)

      Delete
  9. I love the stories behind your first marathon & running the relay to honor your aunt. Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relay was really a special thing my cousins and I shared. I'm so glad we had the foresight to do that!

      Delete
  10. First of all, let me just say that you are an incredible badass for being sidelined for 3 months after emergency surgery and then coming back to run a half with 2 months training under your belt. WOW!

    I really do love how pictures tell a story. All mine tell the story of me being miserable while I'm running - which I'm really not! lol I just don't photograph well and I always miss the right opportunity to make a fun face or whatever. *sigh* There's more to life than race pictures, right? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that half I ran in Vegas was pretty slow (in terms of how I usually do), but I ran it with a friend (Marcia!!), and we had a great time chatting. I knew I'd need to walk periodically anyways, because I hadn't trained properly in that short time span. My goal was to finish, and #missionaccomplished

      Delete
  11. Love all the stories of your finish line photos! I wish I had more of my own to look back on!

    I like official pics but they are SO expensive sometimes...I'm definitely going to buy a few from this weekend's marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the official race pics have a great deal of sentimental value (and certainly are of better quality), I just don't succumb to the temptation. Maybe if I didn't have two kids yet to put through college, I'd be a little less frugal LOL

      Delete
  12. I just did a post like this a few weeks ago! So many memorable finish lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the finish lines are great, no matter how easy or difficult they are to cross.

      Delete
  13. Love your photos and the story and photo of you running your first marathon is the best! I don't buy any of my photos. Too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only bought one race photo, ever. It was from my first-ever long race (a 20K).

      Delete
  14. I love the photo where you hubs jumped in and of course your comeback photo in Vegas. I wish I had my older photos uploaded. It's always fun to look back right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these photos came from blog posts LOL, but there are probably some buried in archives somewhere from my pre-blogging days...#somewhere

      Delete
  15. It's so cool how every race photo can tell a story. I normally don't buy race photos because they are so expensive, but I had a few great ones from NYCM and the Shamrock Marathon so I did buy those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically don't buy the race photos either, even if I've had a great experience. Usually, I'll have enough "good" ones from my phone (or given to me from others), so it's never a problem.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness I love this so much! I never thought about it in this light (as in every race picture tells a story) but you are so right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? Even the bad pics speak volumes LOL

      Delete
  17. I love looking at people's race pictures. You never know what's really going on yet you feel like you do just from that quick moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All great photos! I always look like I'm about to pass out in race/competition photos. You're lucky to have so many cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG I LOVE this post so much Kim! Great photos and the stories that go with them!

    I have photos from so many events that I took or that Ron took. But also if I'm running with friends or my running group ultimately there will be more photos! And there are some local organisations here too that take photos at events and then share on facebook so you can just download what you want. it's great! there are some horrible pics but some good ones too, but as you said each one has a story!

    I have bought photos before, I don't do it all the time - it can really just get too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the memories the pictures tell! I often look at my medals and think about each race and what it meant to me!
    I am SO glad you are back to running and full health!

    ReplyDelete