Thursday, April 12, 2018

5 Recent Aha Moments 


Have you ever had an aha moment? Or several? All in the same week?

Well, welcome to my world!

There have been Aha moments happening all over the place this week. Here's five recent Aha moments that have made me go, "hmmm."

Aha moment #1-My Thursdays have a purpose again!
This past Sunday, I did the Fight for Air Climb (recap HERE if you're interested). After spending the past three months doing weekly stair-training on Thursdays, I was at a loss as to what to do with this new found free time. I also want to add a little speed work to my running regimen. I really didn't need an extra day of rest/recovery, nor did I feel the need to add another "short" run to my week. Aha! How about doing my speed work on Thursdays, but on occasion, substitute a stair workout in just for fun (running stairs is comparable to speed work because it simulates a steep hill in terms of incline).

Aha moment #2-My next half marathon is gonna be an eye-opener!
The Drake Relays Half Marathon is next weekend, on the 22nd. Our school's prom is on the 21st. Not only am I in charge of the Presentation of Couples, but the hubby and I always work at the after-prom party, which lasts until (roughly) 4:30 a.m. Aha! It only recently occurred to me that these events were both happening on the same weekend because I had them on different planners. I knew all along the dates of both, I had just not actually seen both of them on the same calendar, one right after the other. Ugh. The race route is relatively hilly, and I don't yet know what kind of weather to expect. I had hoped to potentially pull off a sub-2:00 finish...but that wish is out the window now.

Aha moment #3-Longer days do not guarantee warmer mornings!
I'm still trying to get outside every morning for a quick 20-30 minute walk on the mornings when I'm not running. Even with warmer, spring-like temps, though, the air is still quite chilly before the sun rises. Aha! I still need to wear full leggings and a warm jacket (and, often times, a fleece headband) or it's a very frigid endeavor for my walks. Thankfully, this will be gradually transitioning to summer-like temps before long.

Aha moment #4-When pressed for time, utilize multitasking skills!
This has been a crazy week. There's been extra dance classes, tennis meets, an unexpected trip to the ER, and a few later than normal "late" nights. I do my own manicures, but just have not had a free hour of time to do so this week. I wanted to go for a run on Thursday afternoon (in the awesome warm-at-last temps), but my finger nails looked like death. Aha! I got dressed in my running gear, did my nails quickly (after tying my shoes), and allowed the polish to dry and set while I ran. I know, first world problems and all, but #problemsolved.

Aha moment #5-Hip hop dancing is humbling!
I mentioned extra dance classes earlier. Well, I wasn't just referring to the daughter. It's not only her senior recital, but this year there is a Mom/Daughter dance being featured. At her coaxing, I agreed to take part...and let's just say there's a reason I run marathons and don't teach dance in my spare time. But, Aha! She has been giving me a lot of extra one-on-one instruction, and I do believe I'm getting it! Don't worry, I already know this hip hop dance will be a "once and done" experience for me, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to try a new thing (even if it takes me twice as long as everyone else to master the moves).

So, that's a quick look at not only my crazy week, but at all the Aha moments that help me get through it. We have a nasty winter storm (believe it or not) headed our way this weekend. We're expecting to get a tiny bit of snow on Sunday, and a whole lot of rain on Saturday. My long outdoor run may morph into a short one on the treadmill, and that's just fine. I have a whole lot of prom decorations to work on.

Enough about me. How about you? Got any good Aha moments to share? Ever register for a race not realizing it was the day before/after another busy day?

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0. 
By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

41 comments:

  1. Were you really able to run and not mess up your nails?! I'm impressed. The mornings have been pretty chilly here too. Hopefully the weather doesn't get too bad this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Yes, the nails held up...but it was only for four miles (and a few hill sprints at the end), so there wasn't any unnecessary fumbling for fuel or water LOL

      Delete
  2. A few years back, I registered for the Chicago Marathon not knowing that the night before, my mom had planned their 50th wedding anniversary extravaganza. What a disaster that marathon was...of course, it was my first and that may have had more to do with it than anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always register for races as early as possible (to get the best deal on prices)...but sometimes things pop up on the same weekend. Unfortunately, I've known about prom for the past 51 weeks, so I can't blame anyone other than my absent-minded self. Although, the Drake race is being held a week earlier than usual....

      Delete
  3. Once you do that half marathon with no sleep, you will be ready to do a Ragnar race. The hardest part of those is running on no sleep. have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I'm not worried about running the race on little (or NO sleep), but I really was hoping for a 2:00ish finish time. Oh well....that'll have to happen at another race LOL

      Delete
  4. There better be a video of that hip hop dance! Can’t wait to see it! 😉 You may surprise yourself in your race. Sometimes our best experiences are when we have low or no expectations. Just get out there, relax, and have fun. Then enjoy the great nap afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I will post a video after the recital....I just hope everyone cuts me some slack on my awkward & tall body that doesn't move as gracefully as all the gals 30 years younger than me ;-)

      Delete
  5. You are such an energizer bunny! Great manicure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This energizer bunny is getting a lot of extra cardio with all the dance practices....

      Delete
  6. 4:30 am for the prom! Wow. That will be a crazy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully I have not double booked myself for race weekends yet. Our weather looks pretty sucky this weekend -- last week it said 70 for today (not even close) and now wintry mix tomorrow night. And I have my first race on Sunday.

    Letting your polish dry on the run in genius! Although I'm pretty sure that I would manage to screw it up somehow and smoosh it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this was a fairly short run, so I didn't have anything with me (fuel or water) that I'd need to access. I would not attempt such a feat on a long run, though....that would be a smudgy mess just waiting to happen.

      Delete
  8. While it's something I can't really avoid - I am closing on my new house the day before the Brooklyn Half! It will be an interesting race for me. I had signed up way before I knew about closing, and then obviously I am not going to say no to a house because of a half marathon. I will just be really tired LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....things usually have a way of working out, right? I have run many races in a fatigued state, so I'm not too worried about running, but there probably will not be an PR's happening.

      Delete
  9. I'm all about multitasking when I'm pressed for time. We have to do the most we can witht he least amount of time, lol.

    Oh wow, next weekend is gonna be busy for you! I will send you positive vibes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I will take all the positive vibes you can spare ;-)

      Delete
  10. I had the same longer-days-still-cold-mornings aha moment on Monday! Can't wait for some warmer temps on these longer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Iowa, and our spring has really taking its own sweet time in arriving. I"m ready for summer!

      Delete
  11. Our mornings are all over the place with the weather. This week I was in my winter gear some days and shorts on other days! It's getting lighter out too, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really see a difference each week in the longer days (in the mornings and evenings).

      Delete
  12. Nails are important. Glad you figured it out.

    Still waiting for warm weather. I thought it would be soon but now we may have sleet and freezing rain Sat and during my Sunday race!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nails are important. I'm glad someone else understands my dilemma ;-)

      Delete
  13. Oh wow...will you be able to sleep at all before that half marathon? I don't think I could manage that schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try to cut out earlier than 4:30...but I'm almost better off not sleeping at all than trying to get a few hours.

      Delete
  14. Oh man... Aha #2 is no bueno!!! I've done that a few times myself. GOOD LUCK, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not worried about the lack of sleep (sleep is SOOO overrated anyways), but I am bummed my finish time will probably be a little jacked LOL

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh, staying up that late and then running a half marathon? Impressed. I think I would have skipped the run. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a tough time DNS'ing a race...even with little (or no) sleep ;-)

      Delete
  16. Love your manicure tip! I hope to give myself a little mani/pedi this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! Letting your nails dry while out for your run is freaking genius! I love it!

    I can't wait to hear how your dance goes! I took dance classes for almost 15 years and I still feel like I am a complete spaz LOL! You're going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dancing is humbling (because I'm a total klutz), but it has been a fun way to get some serious cardio knocked out.

      Delete
  18. Ouch! Running a half marathon after staying at the prom until 4:30 a.m. It sounds like you will need a rest day on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably get a good nap in on the car ride back home ;-)

      Delete
  19. That's cool that you and hubby help out with the prom! You might have to call it an early night so you can rest for your race..hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Well, it's frowned upon to scoot out early when you're on the prom committee LOL

      Delete
  20. Yes, it's still cold in the mornings! Part of why I did my 6 miles last week on the treadmill was because of the cold morning. I like sunshine but it's taking a while to heat up in the am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE don't see much heat until lunchtime...I'm looking forward to that changing, hopefully sooner and not later.

      Delete
  21. I cannot imagine volunteering at prom and then running a half marathon the next morning. Kudos to you for keeping both events on your calendar. You must be Wonderwoman...

    ReplyDelete