Monday, April 2, 2018

Well, hello April! What's Happening?


How did April get here so quickly?

It's no surprise that March is one of the longer months....not just in terms of those 31 days, but especially due to the less-than-desirable weather (aka #wind). Don't forget, I'm in Iowa. Once that winter wind starts blowing (like in October), it does not lighten up until late April.

Anyways, a new month means some new goals and objectives are in order. Shall we discus?



Early morning cardio before the sunrise.

For several months, I have been getting up at 5:30 on most mornings, and I usually don't need an alarm. Some of those mornings have me waking up even earlier for my #5at5 runs (5 miles at 05:00). On the mornings when I'm not running, I either go for a quick 20-30 minute walk or do some other form of cardio. For me, getting my heart pumping wakes me up far more effectively than caffeine. There's also the benefit of a brief fat-burn because my body is still in a fasted state. This routine has worked well for me, so I'm committing to keeping the streak alive in April.

A return to (moderate) speed work.

Granted, I have never been a fan of speed work. I'm not a natural-born sprinter, and I have long (awkward) legs that aren't always up for moving faster than what feels "normal." But, I'd like to possibly scratch the surface of my 13.1 PR. Although my finish times have not been drastically slow (or even that much slower than in the past), I have been riding a pretty mundane plateau. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pinpoint a blatant lack of speed work as a probable cause....so I'm gonna mix things up a bit for April and see if that makes a difference. I'm not hoping to smash my current PR, but I'd like to get a little closer to it without risking injury or burnout.

Bringing back the daily leg lifts.
Remember back to July of last year? I had returned home from my surgery and was not allowed to do anything strenuous (or sweat-inducing) for several weeks? I also had to do daily IV antibiotic infusions to polish off the last of that staph infection. Well, during July, I got in the routine of doing leg lifts (50 on each leg) during those IV infusions (3X/day). It wasn't really any "extra" work, but after a few weeks, my teen daughter commented that my legs looked more toned. If a teen daughter is noticing results on her "old mom's" legs, something must be working, right?


Let's do a little ab work as well. 

Who doesn't want their abs to be a little more toned and tight? I'm thinking  100 Russian twists, maybe 2-3 times a week. Nothing crazy or grandiose, but if I don't document doing them, they will probably be forgotten.

So, that's my plan of action for April. I'm also taking part in Rachel's Triceps, Push-Ups, Squats Challenge, so there will be some daily stuff happening as well as prepping for my next half marathon (Drake Relays Road Races Half Marathon, April 22nd) and my first-ever 1-mile race (Drake Relays Grand Blue Mile, April 24th). Oh, and let's not forget my 7th Fight for Air Climb this coming weekend in Des Moines. There's all kinds of fun stuff on my April roster!

Have you set any specific goals for April?  Do you prefer daily, weekly, or monthly challenges...or a combination? Speed work - yay or nay?

 **I'm  linking up with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.  

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.

***By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

31 comments:

  1. These sound like good goals! Hopefully the speedwork helps you to run a faster half-marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see. The thing with speed work is that I'm at a loss as to how "fast" I should even be doing it. I figure just forcing myself to run "faster" is better than not even attempting it.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully your plans will get you closer to your goals! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figure with the cold weather it's probably the optimum time to filter in some speed training...anything to make the ugly weather a little more bearable.

      Delete
  3. For now my goal this month is to do well in my marathon on the 28th.

    Yes, to speedwork! I've been doing a variety thanks to my coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna be doing a variety of it, too because I get bored doing the same stuff too often. I definitely prefer speed wok on the road, though...the track was almost as boring as the treadmill to me.

      Delete
  4. I also like the Russian Twists and do them often but I have no idea how many. Also not the the biggest fan of speed work although I am sure it would help w my times. I feel like I get some unplanned speed work by running with different paced people but who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I get a little bit of a "tempo" run when I run with Barb because she has a little bit faster pace than I do. But I"m also gonna try doing some stuff on my own. Ugh. #staytuned ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love your goals! I started my plank streak on April 1 so I'm hoping that will help with my core strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love planking (but you probably already knew that). I just need to mix things up a bit

      Delete
  6. Looks like a good plan to me. Speedwork will make you an entirely different runner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have NO idea how it is April already. right now my goal is to just get through Boston in one piece and then regroup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my races to get through...and then dance recital (for the daughter), and then her graduation after that...

      Delete
  8. I'm also looking for ideas to keep up with my core work. I like my stability and Pilates balls, so I need some fun things to challenge myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire you for your constant 5 am walks and runs. I could use a little ab work for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My abs are fairly flat, but soft ;-( They need some tightening!

      Delete
  10. You have some great goals set for April! I'm with you on the weather, seriously I know Iowa is always up and down in the spring but this is crazy! I will be getting back into running this month, wish the weather would cooperate a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iowa weather has been absolutely whacko, there's no way to sugar coat it LOL

      Delete
  11. You've got some great goals for the month! I definitely would like to spend more time on my core...but just keeping focused on the marathon keeps me busy enough! I actually enjoy speed work, but tempo runs are still super scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempo runs are super scary (which is why I don't do them very often) ;-)

      Delete
  12. You have several different elements there that together make a well-rounded plan! For April I have a skating test tomorrow that I've been preparing for, then a competition next Friday and Saturday followed by a little break. After that I want to start doing a little more core and leg work at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you meant to say, "hello April -- WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING?!"

    ;)

    I'm so glad you're joining me for the April challenge! I need arm work in my life so bad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, this is merely a PG-rated version of what I'm really thinking about spring ;-)

      Delete
  14. great goals Kim. I am in awe that you get up so early. I often consider doing it as well but it's not in me yet. I sleep so poorly anyway, but maybe I should just get out of bed and do something then, you know? we'll see. I'm also not super fond of speedwork, but I'm pushing it a bit too now. I also want to see a result rather than the same old race time. we don't have to be fast, but it's nice to see an improvement, right? leg and core work is also so important. so it seems to me like you have great plans for April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a crappy sleeper, too. I have a hard time falling asleep before 11:30 p.m. and usually wake up (most mornings) before my alarm. I'm afraid of taking any daytime naps for fear I'd never sleep at night LOL

      Delete
  15. I actually do like speed work. Because it's over "quickly". Tempo runs, OTOH . . . a necessary evil.

    I do monthly goals. Probably should do daily & weekly but that rarely happens. Although I do a daily to do list, so I guess that's daily!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending some warmth your way! I don't miss the cold lingering winter weather at all!
    Sounds like you have some great goals lined up for April!
    Haha, I love that your daughter noticed your great legs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always do such a great job with your challenges and cross training! It's so inspiring and really makes me want to do better with those things.

    One last big race for the season and then things lighten up a bit. I'm kind of ready for a break, but I also dont' want to lose momentum.

    Great job, again!

    ReplyDelete