Sunday, May 12, 2019

Brrrrr...brrrr...brrring on Spring, please...

Well, it's been a cold one....

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought it was May (?). Shouldn't we be well-past the temps of winter? Thankfully, we're past the fear of snow...but just barely.

But first things first...





Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I am so excited to host this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner). If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through Monday (noon). Please share your weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well.

Here's the Run Down on what happened last week:

Never miss a Monday

Knowing the temps were due to plummet (and that rain was on the way), I decided to get out for an early-morning 2-miler. The morning sunshine was just emerging, and all the blooms were looking so beautiful.

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes, tree, outdoor and nature

Opt Inside Tuesday

The rain had not yet come, but the air was damp, the wind was crazy and the temps were cold outside. Fasted cardio, inside (via 25 minutes on the elliptical), was the perfect solution.

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

Opt Inside (again) Wednesday

The rain had started Tuesday evening, and continued through much of the night. The temps were flirting with near-freezing as well. It had been a long time since I'd had a nearly inactive, true rest/recovery day. I did 20ish minutes of yoga, in the early hours, and (other than a 1-mile walk with Max after work), that was it. No fasted cardio, no HIIT, no elliptical, no running or walking. And all was well.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Action-packed Thursday

Barb and I had thought about heading out for a #5at5, but a few quick texts back and forth (at 04:30), and we both were in agreement to postpone. The rain had been much less of a issue than was forecast, and had actually ceased mid-Wednesday afternoon (It had been forecast to last the entire day and into the evening). That said, the air was mucho humid and the wind was nutzo (ahem, a continuous 22 mph). Stuck inside, I hopped on the elliptical for 25 minutes and did some upper-body strength work.

Image may contain: 1 person

Later, after work, Barb and I were able to get in five miles at the lake. Seeing all the random trash strewn alongside the trail, we grabbed a couple of bags from my car and did some clean-up after we finished running. I seriously do not know how people can be so disrespectful and lazy.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

Freezing Friday

I was majorly confused exactly what season it was in Iowa on Friday morning. There was lots of bright sunshine (summer?). The blooms on the trees were fragrant (spring?). But the temps were barely above freezing (winter?). Thankfully, by noon, things shaped up.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Teamwork Saturday

Saturday started with a 3:50 a.m.wake-up, followed by a 4:45 a.m. departure to make it to our 7:15 wave start. I was on a team of co-workers, and we had 76 miles to tackle in the Market-to-Market Relay. The temps (again) were cold (low-50F's), crazy windy, and the air was damp. That said, we had a great time trekking and running across some of Iowa's trails and small towns. I ran a total of just over 15 miles (over the course of three different legs), and I slept quite soundly that evening. Full recap will be posted this week...stay tuned.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

...and a restful Sunday

Somehow, even with a short night Friday, and a long day on Saturday, my body was still awake and alert around 6:00 a.m. Not sure how that happens, but after lounging (and trying to unsuccessfully fall back to sleep), I got up and went for a walk with the hubby and Max. Thankfully, all of my muscles felt fine and not too weary from the prior day's running adventures. And, yes, the temps were STILL cold (mid-40F's). Later, after church, there was a nice lunch with the hubby and two (of the three) kiddos and a late afternoon dinner with my parents. Life is good!

Image may contain: one or more people, shoes, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

So, all in all, it was a pretty restful week. The mileage crept up to 22 (for running), but 15 of that was from Saturday's relay. The walking kept me active (approx. 10 miles) without overdoing it. It felt great to get that upper-body workout in on Thursday. The 50 (cumulative) minutes of elliptical and Wednesday's yoga gave me a good mix of fitness. All is well.



In case you missed out, here's what happened on the blog this week:

Spring Is In The Air (sort of)

Armed & Ready

Friday Favorites...What I've been loving lately

In other news:

FridayFashionFlair... Did you see it on Insta? Is there a better warm weather color than navy? It's like a toned-down black, but not as dark. Pairing it with white and that classic nautical combo always looks sharp. As usual, feel free to join the fashion party...(1) post a pic of a featured outfit, (2) grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and (3) give me a tag (@runningonthefly).

Despite the winter-like temps, we have been enjoying all kinds of spring beauty...


Finally, last but not least, I want to wish a blessed Mother's Day to all of you moms out there.

No photo description available.


How was YOUR week? Lots of fitness? Seasonal temps? Rest or recovery? Are your spring flowers still in bloom?

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


44 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Kim! :)

    Currently it is 45 degrees and pouring rain outside so I can totally relate to the title of your post, lol.

    What an awesome Saturday you had! Although it was a long day it seems like you had a bunch of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be in the mid-60's (hopefully even warmer) after work...I cannot wait!!! This cold weather is NOT my gig LOL

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day!!! You had a busy week! And this weather just won't quit. Sigh. Isn't it supposed to be warmer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on tap to get some warm weather this week...finally!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe it's so cold there still! We have had so much humidity and temps that are pretty warm for May. We had a huge storm last night and now it's rainy and cold today. Your relay sounds fun looking forward to hearing more details. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have some periods of spring-like temps, but recently it's been on winter-rewind...NOT fun

      Delete
  4. Yep, I'm over this weather. Heading south next weekend.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to revert back to Spring this week...I think. I'm done with all this cold crap...

      Delete
  5. Seriously I am not past the possibility of snow. I'll believe anything at this point. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our temps were barely above freezing most of last week...what's the sense in that???

      Delete
  6. What a week - we've had cold and wind and rain here but then hot today! Love your colourful pics as ever. And glad you and Barb got your 5 in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe the weather man uttered the words "snow" and "nor'easter" for the upcoming week's forecast?! I can't even...

    Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Mother's Day was great, too ;-) I think we're clear of snow, but it's been barely above freezing lately in the mornings...

      Delete
  8. We have lots of tulips up, and lots of chilly rainy weather here too. Enough. Bring on the sunshine! Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day! We had an AMAZING weather day yesterday. And then it's back to 50 degrees, cloudy and just plain cold. Blah~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold is really BLAH, right? We're warming up this afternoon, though...stay tuned ;-)

      Delete
  10. Happy Mother's Day! A relay sounds so fun its one of my running goals to do one someday! First I need to get this ankle better before I go signing up for any more races though.

    I can't believe its still so cold out up there! I'm glad we are back to summer although the love bugs can disappear any time now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relay is a lot of fun, but it's like non-stop for the entire time. But we do it every year ;-)

      Delete
  11. I love the tulips! We had decent weather until today. Looking forward to hearing about the relay. Happy Mother’s Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Mother's Day was grand! Our tulips looked so nice...too bad they don't stay in bloom for very long.

      Delete
  12. This spring has been crazy, hasn't it? Earlier this week I was running in shorts, but today it barely made it to 50 and it has been pouring all day. My grandson (5) wanted to go outside all day, so I finally dressed us in clothes that could get wet, grabbed some umbrellas and did some puddle splashing with him!

    Can't wait to read about your relay. Even with the early wake-up call, it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I ran in shorts last Monday, as well...then it was layers. UGH.

      Delete
  13. I feel you on the brrrrr. This weekend I was crewing an ultra and had to wear my winder coat! I am so looking forward to when I can finally, FINALLY put my winter running gear away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people at the relay were in winter coats when they weren't running LOL I was wrapped in a blanket for most of the day.

      Delete
  14. Thanks as always for hosting the link-up! Always fun to catch up on everyone's week. The relay sounds like a blast. You must be so tired after such a big day!

    I'm ready for summer to just lock in please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relay is always a lot of fun, but I was SO tired Saturday night when we finally rolled back int o town (around 9 pm.m).

      Delete
  15. My brain somehow read "nutzo (ahem, a continuous)" as nutritious and I was trying to work out how wind could be nutritious.
    Soggy and cold today too. this is truly nutzo
    Congrats on the relay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job on the relay!! We have had nonstop rain here too it seems. It makes training so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rain has been on the minimal side, but it's just been so cold, windy and damp. Not fun!

      Delete
  17. OMG this weather is bananas! It's exactly the same here - winter hats in the morning and maybe a short sleeve shirt by noon then back to winter coats after 5pm. Make it stop!! The race sounds awesome - despite the weather - and I'm looking forward to your recap! I also can't sleep past 6 most weekend days. So sad :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, winter layers in the mornings for my walks with the dog. It would be really nice for the wind to take a breather, too....

      Delete
  18. It sounds like you had an action-packed week in spite of the crazy weather! That relay sounds like a lot of fun. The shorter distance is quite attractive (compared to the 200ish of a Ragnar). I love that you enough co-workers who run to make up a team! I work at a fitness center and couldn't do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relay is a lot of run. It's like a mini Ragnar with the shorter distance and it's all done in one (LONG) day ;-)

      Delete
  19. Your flowers are so pretty, too!

    The weather -- it's just wrong. But at least we have some sunshine & warmth maybe once a week? Gotta be grateful for what you have!

    Your relay sounds like fun -- looking forward to reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finally have sunshine today!!!!! Do you know how excited that makes me?

      Delete
  20. I missed the cold rainy weather last week ...I just LOVED sweating in Fla. Now it's cold and rainy again. I'm so over it!!!

    But the flowers are nice...April showers bring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have as much rain as forecast, but it certainly was cold and damp and windy. I'm glad it's warming up this week...

      Delete
  21. Sounds like the weather was pretty crazy last week! Great job pushing through in spite of it. That's horrible about all that trash on the trail :( I hate to see that. That's great that you all were able to clean some of it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at how much trash we find...even when there are trash cans in the vicinity.

      Delete
  22. Yesterday it was in the 90s, so I would love some cooler temps right about now LOL! We all got incinerated at the beach even with tons of sunscreen. There was just no escaping it.

    I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day and I do hope you get some of those spring and summers temperatures you crave. It's not fair that you aren't getting the benefit of your favorite seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We still have some spring flowers around, but most are gone. The honeysuckle has the running trail smelling heavenly! Can't wait to read your recap from Saturday's relay!

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete