Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Walk Much?


To walk or to run...which would YOU choose?

Until a couple years ago, my answer would have (obviously) been to run. No second thoughts, no debate. 

Although walking and running share a lot of the same traits and features (more walking benefits HERE), I have noticed a few differences that are often over-looked. It wasn't until I was forced to substitute walking for running (after that emergency surgery in 2017) that I finally got it. I not only recognized these differences, but also learned to respect them.


As a result, I have an overwhelming desire to share what I have learned about walking, and what I've come to love about this often-shunned activity. Care to hear about it?

First of all, there's the weather. Most of us know to dress like it's 10-15 degrees warmer before heading out for a run, right? Well, that rule is for runners, NOT walkers. Sure, walking will heat up your body, but not to the same degree (see that play on words?) that running will.
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes, tree, sky, outdoor and nature
walking often requires more layers
I'm not a chronic complainer, but our spring kind of came to an abrupt pause recently. It wasn't as cold as winter (thankfully!), but the temps in Iowa felt much more like those of October. Sure, those low-50F temps are ideal for running...but they are a tad bit chilly for walking. I have had to pull out the gloves and headbands, as well as don a layer of fleece for my early morning walks. Certainly not a crisis, but a change from the reality I'd be enjoying if I was only a runner.

Let's not forget about shoes. Did you know you probably have a different foot strike and stride length when you walk?  I had read it, heard about it from experts, and even been advised against it from sales clerks in shoe stores....but never really grasped the concept until recently. I typically don't wear my running shoes unless I'm actually running (so you will not see me wearing them with jeans or casual shorts), so this never really was an issue.

I do remember when I took an old pair of shoes to a running store (to show the gal what I'd been wearing). She immediately noticed the wear on the outer edge, along the side. It started an inch or so from the heel and was worn along the "mid-foot" area. She could tell (without even seeing me walk) that I was an over-pronator (meaning I tend to land on the outside of my feet and "roll" my feet inward with each step). She also pointed out that my right foot over-pronates more than my left (because the right shoe had much more of the sole worn off than the left one).
These shoes are made (optimally) for running...for now
Why all this information about over-pronating? Because, when I walk, I tend to be a heel-striker. I have long legs, and I take long strides...imagine the damage to my running shoes if I wore them for just normal daily use! The shoes would be "worn and conformed" to my walking feet and would not be as supportive (in the areas where I really need them to be) for running. One does not necessarily need a separate pair of shoes specifically for walking, but be mindful of just how much walking you're using them for. I keep my good (aka NEW) running shoes in the closet on my walking days. Ironically, it is possible to walk in the shoes you've used for running but the reverse doesn't always work favorably. Fortunately, I have a pretty good supply of running shoes that are on their way out...they still feel comfy and have adequate support for walking, but their days of long-distance running are over.

How about mileage? This is the one area where I got the most feedback during  my surgery recovery. When runners train for long-distance events, they have to put in a lot of miles. Although walking and running use many of the same muscles, running is harder on your body due to the faster speed and increased impact from all of that pavement pounding. Walking, because it's quite a bit slower, is not as hard on your joints. Essentially, you can walk greater distances (and reap the cardio benefits) without as much stress or strain on your body because you're not demanding as much from it. After my surgery, I walked a lot of miles during my three months of recovery .... more than double the miles I would have run (had I not been in recovery mode and was able to assume my "normal" routine of running 3-4 days per week).
A few extra walking miles are safer than a few too many running miles
Walking takes much longer than running. Hands down, walking feels very slow in comparison to running. There is no effective way to sugar coat that fact. One advantage to the slower speed, though, is the fact that you can actually take in your scenery much better than if you were running through it. There are a lot of unique architectural details one can notice on buildings and houses that you may miss if your were running by them.

That said, I can't just head out for a "quick" 5-mile walk. I can run five miles (usually) in less than 45 minutes...but walking? I have to plan for at least a good 30 minutes longer (because there will likely be a potty stop in that span of time). Kind of a time-suck, huh!
I did so much walking while I recovered from that surgery
It's easier to get the "fat-burn" going. I do a lot of my walking (and running, when I'm able) in the early morning hours. Translated, that means I'm doing cardio in a "fasted state" with little (or zero) fuel. The absence of "new fuel" means your body will be forced to burn its "reserves" instead, which is when the fat-burning happens. If I'm running, I usually need a quick granola bar to have a boost of calories to combat the expected hunger I'll get from the exercise. If I'm walking, though, my body won't need that energy boost, and since I'm not working as hard, I'll be able to go longer without re-fueling. That said, it's never my intent to starve myself before a workout...I simply don't need a meal that early in the morning if I'm just walking a few miles to start my day.

So, that's my take on walking, and how it differs from running. It certainly isn't my first choice of exercise, but it  filled a huge void in my life when I wasn't able to run. It took awhile to get my mobility back, and my range of motion was slow to return as well. Early on, I was limited in what I could do with my healing knee. Walking was the one thing I was allowed to do. I could walk as slow as I needed to (when the 6-inch suture seam was at its most vulnerable), and walking was readily available anywhere and everywhere, anytime of the day. These days, I walk whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Talk to me....how do you feel about walking vs. running? Do you ever treat them as equals in terms of effort or legitimacy? Have you ever had to substitute walking for running as you waited out an injury's recovery?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Marc  for the Running Coaches' Corner

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect Facebook Instagram  PinteresTwitter

34 comments:

  1. I'm an early morning runner, so any other time of day I prefer to walk -- so I won't need to shower again! While running friends are great, walking is something you can do with just about anyone, and a great way to catch up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, walking is a great exercise that can go "easy" or "fast" depending on your goals;-)

      Delete
  2. I do walking AND running when I jeff with Ruth, but that walking feels different, as it's active and quick. I walk quite a lot and I do enjoy it as a recovery activity in particular. Also I don't have a car, so every journey involves some kind of walk! I'm with you on the trainers - my good running trainers are just for running. Then gym/walking, then they go in the gardening pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my walking is power walking, so I'm going along at a good clip (anywhere between 13-14:30 minutes/mile). My long legs give me an advantage LOL

      Delete
  3. I love to walk sometimes. Especially with my dog. Sometimes a nice walk is great for clearing your head. I never thought about the difference in wear to your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The different shoes may not be as much of a factor for some as for others...I just know for me, it's major.

      Delete
  4. I've used walking throughout the years recovering from childbirth, surgery, and injuries. Now I walk Cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a walker, too. I walk with Max, but that does involves a lot of abrupt stops for sniffing and other business LOL

      Delete
  5. I actually became a huge fan of speed walking last summer. After my surgery in June I couldn't run for a few weeks but I could walk. I would head out for a powerwalk a few days a week and one my "long walk" days I would try to see if I could cover more distance in the same amount of time. It was a great workout and I got a great sweat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speed walking gives a great cardio burn! More than people often realize.

      Delete
  6. Yes, walking is far easier on the body than running. But if you ever walk a long distance, you will find out that you are still sore afterwards -- unless you train for walking said distance. And walking uses muscles in a slightly different way than running.

    I'm speaking from experience -- I walked a half marathon with an injured friend once. I didn't train to walk it. I was surprisingly sore the next day. Not injured, but I wouldn't have expected to be that sore from walking at such a slow pace.

    As to the shoes, I once read that you can walk in running shoes but you shouldn't run in walking shoes. So I generally use my old running shoes as walking shoes.

    Our dogwalks are at an incredibly slow pace, though. Think about how often Max stops. Then multiply that by 2!

    I've always been a walker. Always loved walking (and still do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard the same thing about walking in running shoes vs. vice-versa. Totally applies to me LOL

      Delete
  7. First of all, I can't believe it's been almost two years since your surgery! I'm sure it didn't feel this way during your recovery, but time does fly!

    While I will walk occasionally, especially if I'm recoverying from something, I just don't enjoy walks (for exercise specifically) very much. Way back when I was giving up aerobics for something else, I chose running over walking mainly because it got more done in less time. I still feel that way (though I have many other reasons for loving running now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always done a lot of walking, but I really grew to appreciate it two years ago when it was my only option. My legs got toned in all sorts of new places LOL

      Delete
  8. Interesting, I had never thought about the shoe differences for running and walking! That's good information to know. I do enjoy taking walks but the fact that it takes longer to cover the same distance can be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! it does take longer, but the benefits are almost as great as running ;-)

      Delete
  9. I've basically wrecked my running shoes from all my walking the last several weeks... time for a new pair for running! Foot strike is totally different and impact is less for sure with walking but it's completely legitimate. I LOVE to walk and could do it every day if I had time (made time?). Since my surgery and from the moment I was able I've been walking a lot. I put my music on and just go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOO grateful I was able to walk during my recovery. When it came time to resume running (albeit much slower, at first), my endurance was still intact.

      Delete
  10. Clearly, I'll take a run over a walk. But I love going on walks with my husband or other family members any time. Especially when it's summer and we can take fun summer evening walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love running, but there are times when a walk just fits the bill...never thought I'd feel that way until I was forced to LOL

      Delete
  11. This is a topic that's really important to me. As a runner since the 6th grade, I had a really hard time considering anything a workout if it didn't involve running. Stomach issues (luckily now resolved) led me to try out alternatives such as the elliptical and treadmill walking on an incline, which was much nicer to my body. I think it's so so important for runners to understand that although running is our passion, a workout can still be a good workout even if it doesn't include running. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I agree...runners need to do other things to give those running muscles a breather ;-)

      Delete
  12. I never really liked walking because it takes too long but now that I have a young dog who likes to run and an old dog who likes to walk I have to do both. I run first with Luna then cooldown with Sadie. I enjoy my walks now and like you said, I notice more things in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked walking, but I grew to like it even more after my surgery. It's a great alternative on non-running days.

      Delete
  13. As you know, I do a combination of walking and running, both during training (when I actually train) and during races. It works for me and I like the balance between the two. Of course I have just two speeds - walking very fast and running very slow. As it turns out, they are pretty much the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up ;-) I think we all have times when our walking pace is actually faster than our running pace ;-)

      Delete
  14. Since I cannot run on back to back days, I do like to take long walks. I use a different pair of shoes and my feet are happier that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's smart to use different shoes, especially since your feet (and entire body) are doing different things with running vs. walking.

      Delete
  15. I rarely walk. I prefer to run since walking takes too long and sometimes bore me. However, I do understand the benefits of walking when out on a run. There is no stopping me there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had any shame in taking walk breaks, even during a race. I always get a quick re-charge from a brief 10-20 second walk.

      Delete
    2. What I meant to say is that I rarely walk for a long period of time because I get bored. :-) I do like taking walking breaks on a run to recharge.

      Delete
  16. I love walking and love taking walk breaks during my runs. I have become a big fan of the 4:1 run walk intervals. That keeps my body happy and usually I can ditch them during races or bring them out if I need them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am definitely a runner, but I've also learned to enjoy walking. I just hit 730 straight days of 10,000 or more steps, so that's something I'm quite proud of. Obviously, not all those days I ran, so lots of walking steps were included.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a devoted run-walker, I love walking. It gives me a nice break from running. It's definitely a different (and valuable) workout on its own.

    ReplyDelete