Monday, November 18, 2019

Winter Running - We Got This!



Inside hibernator or opt-outside warrior?

If you're a runner and have ever debated about staying in (on the treadmill or indoor track) or heading out (in the snow), what option would you choose?

I spent my first-ever winter, as a runner, paying homage to my treadmill. In all honesty, I seriously was so new to the running gig, I did not know any better.

Summer eventually returned, and I took most of my runs outdoors. Only, when winter came back that next year, I had changed as a runner. The comfort zone of the treadmill had morphed into a vortex of boredom for me. Having gotten used to rolling hills and varying terrain, my body no longer liked the repetitious belt and unchanging scenery of my treadmill's locale.

UGH. What's a runner to do?

I chose to become a winter warrior and, in doing so, kept most of my runs outdoors.
Through trial and error, I figured out a lot of survival tactics for enduring the extreme cold of Iowa winters. It's been 14 years of winter running, via the great outdoors, and here's some of the things I learned...

Consider the temps.
How cold is "too cold" will vary from one runner to another, so I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules on this. Even if the temp reads 35F (technically above freezing), if the wind is wicked strong, it's gonna feel a good 5-20 degrees colder. Likewise, 35F at the break of dawn will feel different than those same temps at high-noon on a sunny day.

Consider the terrain of your route.
A flat route may feel colder than one that is laden with rolling hills. The inclines not only will block some of the wind (briefly, depending on which direction it's blowing), but your body will have to work harder as you climb those inclines, thus keeping your body temp elevated as a result.

Consider the location.
If you're out, on an open road, you will have ZERO protection from the wind. Conversely, a route that keeps you on city streets, with some wind protection (via buildings, houses, or trees), might make the cold temps more bearable. Often times, I map out my route in accordance to the wind....I prefer a head wind, right outta the gate, which will yield a tail wind for the return trip back home.

Consider the length of your run.
A short run (2-3 miles, for example) may not be long enough to get you thoroughly warmed up, so you may need to wear an additional base layer. A longer run (4-7+ miles) may have you feeling overheated if you wear too many layers.

Consider the many layering options available:
***arm warmers - my personal favorite. They can be (somewhat) easily removed if you start to feel too warm.

*** an extra pair of gloves -they can be layered over a lighter pair of running gloves and removed after the first few miles if they're no longer needed.

***wool socks - I wear these year-round (for moisture-wicking), but in the winter, I often layer them over a second pair.

***a headband - it may be worn on its own, or layered under a hat to give you a little more warmth.

***flannel-lined tights - these can be worn on their own, or as a base layer under a thinner pair of tights.

***a puffer vest - not necessarily a Marshmallow Man poofy endeavor, but anything with some extra filler. It will keep your core warm without the bulk of a full jacket.

***sunglasses - not a layering option, but a "windshield" against the wind as well as protection from the glare of sunlight on snow (believe me, your eyes will thank you). Also, I usually place the bows outside of my hat/headband (instead of under it) to keep my ears warmer.

Consider your safety.
If snow is a factor, step with caution. For me, this means more of a concerted effort to step "down" as opposed to stepping "out" with each foot strike. Ideally, a mid-foot strike will have a little more stability on a slick surface than a heel strike.  

If it's really early in the morning (or very late at night), you may be able to run in the middle of the street (if -and only if- there's no immediate traffic). Usually, the middle of the street will have the most level grade. Also, it's less likely to have uneven ridges (hidden under the snow) as is common on a sidewalk.

With the limited daylight, be sure to have a light source. Whether it's a headlamp, flashlight, or other handheld device, it's important to see where you're going.


It's also crucial for others to see you. Again, the light sources mentioned above are great, but there's also reflective gear...vests, arm bands, belts, etc.

It's also a good idea to have your phone with you, in case of an emergency. If the temps are especially cold, I stick my phone inside an extra fleece glove or mitten (and carry it in my hand) to help save the battery.

It never hurts to bring a friend. A lot of my early morning runs are with a friend. Often times, some of the daylight runs (on the weekends) are done that way as well. Not only is it fun to have someone to chat with, it's also great for assistance should either of you need it.

A few final thoughts:
As much as I prefer to be outside this time of year, this is a very personal choice and I respect not everyone will eagerly want to head outside. It's no secret that I will choose a cold run outdoors over a sweaty session on my treadmill, but if there's ice or extreme (sub-ZERO feels-like temps at play), I either keep it inside or I skip the run altogether. Also, I have run in the early morning hours (in the dark) for several years, and I feel very safe in doing so in my area. That's also a very personal choice. Nobody needs to be a hero; if outdoor running, especially in the winter or in the dark, is not your thing, then don't do it.


So, your turn...do you venture outdoors in the winter, or prefer to keep it inside? Any favorite tips for winter running? What's the coldest weather you've endured in your running shoes?

***disclaimer***
Much of the text of this post, and some of the images, first appeared in a previously published post,  Winter Running - Tricks, Tips & Safety

 I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Marc  for the Running Coaches' Corner

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

33 comments:

  1. I'm reading these posts and thanking my lucky stars I live in the relatively temperate UK. Mind you, not being used to cold snaps and snow, we are really bad at dealing with these! I got yaktrax and nanospikes last year for the ice and managed to make it so we had like one snow day in the whole winter, but it's already at freezing today (about 34 degrees) so I fear that protection was one-season-only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see it all in the Midwest! I'm definitely not a fan of the cold winters, but they are bearable (when the temps aren't too extreme).

      Delete
  2. My rule of thumb is one mile for each degree. So if it's 20 degrees I'll get 20 miles outside. If it's 8 degrees I'll get 8 outside and any remainder on the mill. That said, the roads need to be clear of ice. I love a trail shoe for winter. Better traction, water resistant, and the wind does not whistle through like regular running shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great formula! I have not tried trail shoes...I need to get searching for some ;-)

      Delete
  3. So many good tips here, Kim! And nice photos to go with the them, too. Being in Florida, I don't have to battle with the cold, but I remember how it used to be in Switzerland. I would bring an extra pair of gloves to change into after an uphill climb because the first ones would be wet through by the time we were at the top. That helped somewhat.
    Keep warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often play the gloves-on/gloves-off game when I'm running. You have to get creative sometimes, right?

      Delete
  4. great tips. Most of them I already do --love knee sock arm sleeves, dollar store glvoes, puffer vests and bring a friend. No matter how cold, it's better than the mill. Th eonly run I wil skip is if it is freezing rain and too dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, my favorite arm warmers are the knee sock cut-offs because they're warmer than the traditional pricey "real" ones LOL

      Delete
  5. As long as I'm dressed properly, I don't mind outdoor runs in winter. the one thing I won't do is run when it's icy outside since I'm guaranteed to fall lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice definitely does not play nice! I've been lucky, but I'm best to avoid it.

      Delete
  6. In one word? Dreadmill! Bring on the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't do much dreadmilling unless you count last winter LOL

      Delete
  7. I don't have to run in freezing temps where I live but I do need gloves and a vest sometimes. If I run in the mountains I have a beanie to keep my head warm too. I don't usually run in the dark because I'm sure to trip and fall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear my vests more than my actual jackets in the winter. I can't stand all that "bulk" under my arms ;-)

      Delete
  8. It is definitely trial and error with the layers. I also like the hand warmers in my gloves in super cold temps. It's still perfect running weather here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had perfect running weather this week, YAY!!!!! That said, it's still tricky getting the layers on point because it feels warm compared to what we had last week.

      Delete
  9. Very thorough post, Kim! Even though I don't mind the treadmill, I do run outside year round. Most of my runs are outside. But I'm ok on the mill (at least occasionally!) and thankful I have that option in my own home.

    I've run down to single digits -- if it's sunny & no wind. My North Face Thermoball keeps me plenty warm (but then there's the hands & feet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to elaborate on how I feel about the 'mill, but I am grateful I have it as an option when the weather is extreme. Most of my Milly runs (last winter) morphed into speedwork, and they served me well when the races started happening ;-)

      Delete
  10. I love fleece lined tights when it gets super cold. And yes to treading carefully. IT's almost time to start breaking out the yak trax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my fleece-lined tights, too! I"ve worn them at a lot of football games, too ;-)

      Delete
  11. I don't typically run with sunglasses, even in the summer (I know, I KNOW), but using them to shield against the cold winter winds is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO sunglasses????? Shame on you (j/k) ;-) They are a great vice, especially in the winter. My skin is extremely dry and very wrinkle-prone as a result....so avoiding squinting (whether from the wind or the sun) is crucial for me ;-)

      Delete
  12. So on point with all of this. Also, is it summer yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was summer!! But, we're only one month from the solstice!! Longer days ahead....

      Delete
  13. Great tips! I'm so thankful that I'll never have to use them. :-) I don't even own most of this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha!! You probably have a lot more closet space than I do :-)

      Delete
  14. This is a fantastic post! I never thought about how the same temperature feels different at different times of the day, but you're totally spot on about that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how much the temperature fluctuates...it can be 41F for three consecutive days, but each will feel different depending on sunshine, humidity or wind.

      Delete
  15. I'm definitely an outside runner. I have worn 2 layers of socks, 2 gloves, and a wrap around my face before even thinking about a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me! There has to be very extreme weather conditions before the treadmill even is a remote possibility...

      Delete
  16. I ALWAYS prefer outdoor running. Even when it's super cold. The only things that really keep me inside are if it's super icey or below about 10 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me...although I have ventured out in the single digit temps if the wind hasn't been an issue.

      Delete
  17. I have two vests but not a puffer one. I just feel like it won't provide enough protection and I will still be hold. I like my arms to be covered in order to really be warm.

    I don't mind running in 30 degree weather but little or no wind. It makes a huge difference!

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete