Thursday, November 7, 2019

P.M.D.D. - Post Marathon Distress Disorder


Post Marathon Distress Disorder (or PMDD, for short). - I've got me a case of it.

It may not be an authentic, documented mental condition, but I can attest to its validity.

When a big race is on the agenda, you train for it. When it's a REALLY BIG race that's been at the top of your bucket list forever, you train even harder. You look forward to the big day and do everything in your power to ensure you're ready, physically and emotionally.

There's all kinds of early morning runs. There's shoe rotation. There's the fueling strategy. There's frequent weather-stalking. And there's plenty of race day stress, due to the aforementioned weather stalking.

But what happens after the finish line?


Many runners experience a taste of the post-marathon blues (also with races of shorter distances). A time of feeling lost and (maybe) distraught that the race is over. Regardless of what kind of finish time you clocked, it's a time of unease as you acclimate back to what your "normal" fitness routine was before the big race (and its demands) took over your existence.

Personally, I think I did an adequate job of keeping things in balance with my running and my life outside of the running shoes. Granted, I had to do some schedule juggling to squeeze in the long runs, but I didn't let it dictate my every thought or action.

But, my big race, the Marine Corps Marathon, has come and gone. It's been almost two weeks, and I'm feeling (dare I say?) fully recovered physically...but things are still feeling a little "off"  emotionally.

Here's what's both freeing and distressing ...

So much free time, especially on the weekends.
Finishing that last race means there's no longer a need for long runs every weekend, or multiple  shorter runs during the week. Mind you, I'll still be running (during the week and on the weekends), just not for hours at a time. The "short" 5-6 mile runs I've done, since the marathon, feel like I'm slacking off in comparison to all the double-digit runs logged over the course of the past 14 weeks. I don't feel guilty; after all, a recovery period is crucial after a busy training cycle, but I cannot deny that I do feel restless.

Weather smeather.
After SO much weather stalking, I can gladly take a break. Honestly, weather stalking is kind of an exercise in futility. It invokes a lot of stress and worry...none of which will change what Momma N decides to throw at you come race day. Now, with the big race (as well as all the other races that played a big part in my training) over and done, I don't have to obsess over the weather (much). Since there's no specific time table I have to follow for the next few months, there's no need to make up any miles I may miss due to inclement weather. Living in Iowa, that's pretty liberating this time of year!
This was the forecast for MCM race day!
Oh, the memories!
I love pinning on a race bib and lining up at the start line with fellow runners. The camaraderie along the race course, with not only the racers but also the spectators, is intoxicating. All told, I ran seven races during my MCM training cycle. All were run under varying conditions (weather, terrain, and distance), and they all fit nicely into my training mileage. One such race, the Hillybilly Hike Half Marathon, was run six days after MCM, and rewarded me with my fastest 13.1 since May 2016...confirming my training had been solid. I wish I could say that about every marathon (or race)  I've run!

The highlights:
Quad Cities Bix 7 (July 27) - course PR (previous PR was from 2014)
NewBo Half Marathon (September 1) - course PR; fastest 13.1 since May 2016
Kickoff to Kinnick 5K (September 21) - ran virtual after race canceled due to storms
Run for the Roses 10K (October 13) - 10K PR; 1st place age group
IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (October 20) -  last "long run" prior to MCM
Marine Corps Marathon (October 27) - several hours of rain made for a challenging race
Hillbilly Hike Half Marathon (November 2) - strong race; course PR; beat my NewBo time


 No injuries, no worries.
This is the first training cycle where I have not had any ongoing injuries or lingering aches or pains. I was diligent about stretching, foam rolling and dynamic warm-ups prior to most of my runs and races. That said, there still was a little anxiety in the final weeks as to whether any phantom aches or pains would make an appearance prior to the MCM start line. I rotated through two 'broken in" pairs of shoes and one new pair (all of them Brooks Adrenaline GTS-18's). As the miles accumulated, especially in the final weeks prior to Taper, I kept hoping the "new" pair would hold out long enough to get me through MCM...and they did. Now, since the major racing for 2019 is finished, I can take my time securing a new pair of shoes for 2020.

the hydration pack and shoes have served me well...
 So, now what?
Well, as with any successful training cycle, there needs to be a rest/recovery period. Although I'm feeling fully recovered, I know my body still needs some down time. I've had almost two solid weeks of low mileage (via running), and I've done a lot of stretching and foam rolling. I've been on the treadmill for walking and have utilized the elliptical for low-impact cardio. I'll be bringing back some HIIT and full-body strength-training soon, but all in moderation.
Image may contain: one or more people, living room, shoes and indoor
#NotJustARunner
Anyways, I'm sad to see 2019 come to a close. It's been a great year of running for me. My key strategy, for the time being, will be to respect this recovery cycle. In doing so, hopefully, that will enable me to continue 2019's momentum on into 2020. Stay tuned, there will be a 2020 marathon happening. MCM was my ninth marathon; I can't just let it end there LOL. Besides, I love the challenge of running 26.2 miles. Even when the race day doesn't play out as hoped, it's still a pretty sweet victory crossing the finish line.

Only time will tell if things continue on the upswing. If so, I'll be most grateful and continue to not take anything for granted. If things plateau, I'll still be thankful for all the great 2019 memories. Either way, it will be a win-win. Onward!

How about you? Have you ever gone through a brief stage of post-race uneasiness? Were you relieved the big race was over, or did you struggle with resuming your "normal" routine?  Did you immediately sign up for another race, or did you ride the recovery for awhile?

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

 

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

26 comments:

  1. I'm sharing this with a clubmate who's been quite low after an epic ultra thing he did recently. It's good to know other people feel like this. And I love that you're planning marathon 10. I might be planning marathon 5 ... and 6? Maybe. Erm ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really feeling low, but definitely "displaced." Kind of zombie-like. It's hard to believe the race has come and gone...but I'm glad to have a couple months with nothing big on the calendar. Quite the paradox LOL

      Delete
  2. Most of my big races have fallen at the end of November, so I finish and then jump right into the busy holiday season. I think that helps because otherwise I would be more tempted to jump back into training for something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I ran Route 66 (in 2016) that race was right before Thanksgiving, which seemed so late. MCM wasn't quite as late, but it did come at a good time for the season to wind down (after that last 13.1).

      Delete
  3. I have been kind of feeling the same way since Chicago so I've been trying to do more volunteering in my free time - might as well make the best out of the situation! I'm going to start planning my 202 calendar and I will definitely need a #kimtwin visit at some point..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!!! I'd love to have a #kimtwin visit!!!!! I'm kind of eyeing Gasparilla is February...(?)

      Delete
  4. I know I'm in the minority but I've ever gotten post-marathon blues. I just shift gears and move on. Maybe I'll put more races on the calendar, maybe I'll focus on others via coaching. You had an epic year for sure! Definitely something to smile about for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really feel blue, but I definitely feel like I'm in a zombie state. Kind of denial the race is done...but, oh yeah, I got the medal and race jacket LOL On to the next adventure ;-)

      Delete
  5. I do like to have a big race on the horizon, but that hasn't been doable for me this year. I have plenty of other ways to occupy myself, in fact, I could use a few more hours in my days!

    I think you are super smart to take the recovery time. That, too, will help keep you uninjured.

    Because of the dogs (and all the driving the last few months!), I'm always weather stalking. And yes, it can be extremely frustrating, but I have to make my best guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a big race makes for a great goal, but when it's over it's odd adjusting back to what life was like before. I'm glad it's done, so I don't to worry about it anymore. And, I'm thankful for all the memories, even if they were totally rain-soaked.

      Delete
  6. You had such a great race season this year! It is a little hard to be finished with all the hard training, though I've found as I get older I can appreciate the down time much more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...the hard training doesn't feel that "hard" after awhile, it just seems like the norm. Having it end is a shock to the system.

      Delete
  7. What? You did a half already? You are a beast! And I mean that in the nicest way. Bill and I have a trail 10k tomorrow. We will see how much I have recovered since MCM. It felt good getting back to my normal fitness routines after the race. I am looking to beef up my race calendar for 2020! Congrats on such a great year of racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's a trail, I bet that 10K feels pretty easy peasy after 26.2 miles of (almost) nonstop rain ;-) Good luck!

      Delete
  8. I have had similar feelings after tri races that took up so much time to train for and after Ragnar relays as well. I think it can also be a good thing to make you hungry for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! That's why I know I for sure want to do another marathon...I know I can do the distance, despite what the weather gives me LOL

      Delete
  9. The medical person in me saw the title of your post and thought you were referring to a different disorder. Sorry to hear you're feeling a little bit of post marathon blues. It does feel a little bit empty after the race is all done. Especially when you've had high expectations for the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really feeling blue, but empty is a good description. My busy season ended on a pretty high note, so no regrets with anything ;-)

      Delete
  10. I have gone through a bout of post marathon blues and can relate to how you feel. Congrats on all of your races and PRs this year. An incredible feat! Love the MCM blue medal this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw a runner walking back towards the MCM course (as I was nearing the final climb to the finish line), I noticed his medal...and thought "cool!" Last year's medals weren't as pretty LOL

      Delete
  11. I'm glad 2019 was a great running year for you! I don't think I've ever got the post marathon blues, I think I mostly felt relief...lol.

    I've heard of people feeling like this after big life events, like weddings. The anticipation and preparation is so great, that when it is over there is that void.

    Just think, your marathon ended at just the right time of the year. Now you can focus on the holidays! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it...a void. I am relieved, too, though LOL

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear you had such an amazing race year. Congrats to all of yours results. Yeah, I know how you feel. You sum it up pretty good. Just remember, we all need some time to rest too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know the rest/recovery routine...it feels good, but also "lazy" at the same time. First world probs, right? ;-)

      Delete
  13. Exactly!! I just ran the New York City Marathon and don't know what to do with myself. I just told my wife how weird it feels to not be on a schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS weird! It's liberating but also kind of guilt-inducing...

      Delete