Monday, November 25, 2019

Grateful. Joyful. Blessed.


Grateful. Joyful. Blessed. .

There is SO much to be thankful for...and not just this time of season, but year-round.

I've written previous Thankful posts (in 2018, in 2017, in 2016, in 2015 and in 2014), and I honestly don't know if I could say it any better. Bear with me, I'm gonna go with (mainly) what's been said before, but tweak some of it to make it more current.

My family.  I am so absolutely in love with my husband and three amazing kids.  They don't usually run with me (though the youngest daughter ran her first 20K in 2018, and the hubby joins me at a few races now and then), but they put up with me and my running.  They don't complain too much about the running shoes scattered throughout the house or the occasional icky toenail. And, on occasion, they do ask me about my running...without my having to prompt them. It doesn't get much better than that!

*My faith.  I'm not gonna get all high and almighty on you, but my faith is my cornerstone. It's my humbleness, my perseverance, and my strength. It's my everything.

*My running friends. I have an abundance of awesome people in my life.  I appreciate all their kind words, messages and hugs. Some of them are just as crazy as me, and have been known to run Ultra's overnight, in the heat (and humidity) of summer...complete with lightning, rain, and Christmas lights. Some of them drive (and fly) crazy distances to run marathons with me. Others have hopped on airplanes and met me in Chicago, Las Vegas and Washington, DC. They make me smile and feel warm & fuzzy.





            

*Maxton McArthur. We adopted Max from a nearby animal shelter almost five years ago. I didn't grow up with a dog, and our family had never had one. I totally didn't get the "dogs aren't pets, they are family" thing. Well, I totally get it now. This adorable little guy has wormed his way into my heart, and everyone else who has met him. He makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, too.
*Freedom to run "my way." I don't have be fast. I don't have to run every day. I don't have to run excessive weekly mileage. And I don't have to love every experience in my running shoes. Most importantly, I don't have to impress anyone other than myself. Running has liberated me like nothing else. It has shown me just how strong my endurance really is, and it has kept me humble on many occasions as well. It's my reality check.



*My virtual running buddies.  There are so many wonderful people who have become dear friends, and most of them came to me via this blog and my running page, Running on the Fly. There have been countless messages, well wishes, (virtual) high-5's, and many laughs shared through our computer screens. And, there have been some tears and sniffles, too. I have met some of these fabulous peeps in person, and look forward to meeting many more.

*The racing community.  I don't consider myself a competitive racer, but I love the atmosphere on race day.  There's something about an entire bunch of strangers, all running towards the same finish line, that makes me feel at-one with all others on the race course . Nothing is better than the final 100 feet of a race...the finish line fanfare is intoxicating.

*The gift of running.  Having spent most of my life believing I was not an athlete, I am so humbled (and proud) to call myself not just a runner, or a marathoner, but an Ultra Marathoner! It's never been my intention to impress others with my athletic prowess. Instead, I hope to inspire them to violate their own comfort zones. I now have nine marathons under my belt (two of which are ultras!), 41 half marathons, several 20K's, a few 10-mile races, and countless races of other distances. If I can be an "athlete" (with my less-than-athletic body), anyone else can be one, too.



*The blessing of a successful rally-back. Being side-lined from running for three months in 2017 (following an emergency surgery) was tough.  This time last year, I had recently run my first post-rally-back marathon, the Cannonball Marathon (Greensboro, NC). A month ago, I ran a longtime bucket list race, the Marine Corps Marathon...under dreadfully rainy conditions, but I have been smiling ever since. My rally-back has, indeed, come full-circle, and 2019 has rewarded me with my best year of running yet. I'm ever grateful for the journey, and all the highs and lows, and lessons learned along the way. I don't take any run (short or long) or race (easy or tough) for granted. 
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Anyways, those are just a few things I have been reflecting on this week. I think of these things often, but with Thanksgiving on deck, all the gratefulness has been front and center.  Honestly, gratitude it a pretty simple gift to give oneself. It's yours for the taking...enjoy!

Does Thanksgiving make you also feel specially grateful? What are you thankful for? 


I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Marc  for the Running Coaches' Corner

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


37 comments:

  1. So many things to be thankful for! Running has really changed my life in so many aspects and I'm always so thankful for that.
    I hope to meet Max - he's such a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you, Max would LOVE to meet my #KimTwin <3 SO thankful for all the things my running shoes have taken me to...fitness, fun, and many wonderful friends. I'm grateful you're a part of all that ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed! Every day is a gift and every run is a blessing.

      Delete
  3. I am thankful every day. And yes pets are definitely family. :-) I love my babies and look forward to seeing them when I get home from work. Keep running and run happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! We need to be thankful every day, and not just while sitting in front of a big turkey dinner, right?

      Delete
  4. This is great Kim - so very much to be thankful for! I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle!! I'm especially thankful running brought you in my life ;-) It was fun planking with you in Chicago, and finding the Bean :-)

      Delete
  5. So many good points! I can relate to all the things you mention, especially the rally-back after being sidelined. Like you, it gave me a new appreciation and I don't take any run for granted anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I may whine about the cold weather on occasion, but-bottom line-I'm thankful I can RUN, no matter the temps.

      Delete
  6. The running community has been a big thing for me this year, both online and IRL. I feel like there's a whole group of people that I run into on the starting line at every race and I love catching up with them. Have a happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's fun going to an event, and making eye contact with someone you've only known thru social media...and you both instantly recognize each other :-)

      Delete
  7. I keep a gratitude journal most days, so I don't feel like Thanksgiving is the end-all, be-all when it comes to gratitude. You definitely have plenty to be thankful for Kim!

    And yeah, I'm grateful for running, even on days when it's just meh like yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write down grateful tidbits each night, as well. There's always something to be grateful for. NO excuses for whining! :-)

      Delete
  8. So many things to be thankful for this holiday season. I am happy to have you as a virtual running buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Max is adorable! I love the running community. There is so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE do have a pretty awesome community, don't we? If all those running nay-sayers only knew...

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post! I'm enjoying these thanks-giving ones even though we don't have Thanksgiving here where we are! And I love my running blogging community, too. I can't believe I didn't read running blogs for so long - they're a lifeline and a community now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! We all come from different backgrounds, and we all run differently...but we all "get" each other :-)

      Delete
  11. I’m thankful for many of the same things. I am especially grateful for the many things that running has brought into my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm so thankful for all of the extras (in addition to the health benefits).

      Delete
  12. So thankful for my running friends near and far. I love that we have become closer even though we are far apart. Have a very happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Too bad there's so many states between us...but it's fun staying in contact and meeting up on occasion :-) Happy Thanksgiving to YOU and your family as well ;-)

      Delete
  13. There are so many amazing things to be grateful for. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!! So many things to be thankful for! Thankful for the ability to run and exercise and of course finding like minded people as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, finding all the like-minded people is such a great benefit to running ;-) Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. I am so thankful for so many of the things you mention and I'm thankful that our blogs brought us together. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awhhhhhh :-) Thanks, Debbie :-) I'm grateful our blogs brought us together, too!!

      Delete
  16. You truly do have much to be thankful for, and I am blessed myself to call you my friend! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many awesome things to be grateful! I'm extra grateful for my health this year, as I've seen so many friends and family members struggle with theirs. Something to never take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! I'm extra grateful for my health as well. We can never take it for granted!

      Delete
  18. I always love your positive outlook and vibe! These are all incredible things for which to be grateful. I'm struggling with feeling blessed today, but I'm going to take some time to remind myself of all the things for which I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is great to have some much positivity going on around you. I love that you're inspiring others to get out and get stuff done! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally with you on runners and the virtual running community. Such a difference maker. And I <3 Max's full name. We're going to get a dog prompt in one of these linkups

    ReplyDelete