Sunday, February 2, 2020

Winter: We got this!


And, so it begins.

Another month, that is. It's hard to believe we're already a full month (and two days) into 2020.

Although February is pretty much a repeat of January, in terms of cold weather, it doesn't usually seem as painful. Granted, it's a shorter month, but it's also that much closer to Spring and warmer days ahead...eventually.

Before I share the details, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)
Here's what went down in my little world of fitness this week:

Not another manic Monday
In an effort to embrace the increasing post-workday daylight, I've been saving my #nevermissaMonday runs until after work. So, the day started with an inclined power walk on the treadmill, and two sets of 20 flights of stairs/20 push-ups. After work, although the damp air was cold (barely above freezing), it still felt nice to be outside. I've said it before, but I'm grateful that I can choose to run outside, even if the temps are frigid.


How about a makeshift Triathlon Tuesday
I think we do ourselves a huge disservice by doing the same stuff all the time. I've been doing elliptical workouts on Tuesday mornings for quite some time, so I thought it would be a fun mix to add in some other stuff. In addition to the usual 20 minutes on the elliptical, I also did a 1-mile power walk (on the treadmill, inclined at 2 and speed at 4.5) and 20 flights of double steps on the stairs. Total time vested was about 39 minutes. This may become a new Tuesday routine!


A #5at530 for Wednesday
Another shake-up in the routine involved a later-than-usual start for the routine #5at5 run with Barb. She suggested going at 5:30, and I was game. That gave me time to do 20 flights of stairs (which worked well as a warm-up) before heading out. The temps were 18F, but there was ZERO wind happening, so the cold air didn't feel quite so cold. That winter wind can make or break a run sometimes...it's always a pleasant surprise when it's a no-show.


Thursday's Keeping-it-Real reality 
I had a somewhat intense workout planned for Thursday morning. Unfortunately, I drastically over-estimated my energy level. OOPS. Hey, it happens. Here's what the plan looked like on paper:

*1/2-mile power walk (warm-up)

*15 flights of weighted double steps (8# hand weights)
*10 push-ups
*15 burpees
*20 upper-body reps
*30 mountain climbers
*20 plank jacks

*1/2-mile walk (cool-down)

I was going to do five sets (I don't know what I was thinking LOL), but white-flagged it after two. I think it was just a total energy crash (and not a great night of sleeping). The two sets (and the warm-up/cool-down) still netted me 30 minutes of sweat, cardio and heavy breathing. Instead of dwelling on what didn't happen, I've found it's best to just walk away and move on. So I did. No regrets. I did do some upper-body strength work in the evening, to make up for the shortened morning workout.

Active rest for Friday
A light dusting of now greeted my Friday morning "up and out the door" walk. A quick 1-mile through the hilly 'hood, some stairs and push-ups ... and that's all she wrote.


Outside action for Saturday
So what if it was a bit chilly (mid-20F's feel-like with the wind)? The slick spots were minimal, the fresh air was invigorating and the conversation with a friend was lively. Seven winter miles never felt so fine. My vacationing sister's 2-inch thick ice and snow-covered driveway? That was another story. The hubby and I spent the next hour shoveling snow, chopping ice, and heave-ho'ing said stuff onto the lawn. I think I'm gonna feel that for the next few days.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Oh, Sunny Sunday
After Saturday's  snow/ice shoveling, I was in a world of hurt and stiffness. I know a recovery run always works wonders for me, even if the aches & pains aren't necessarily from running itself. I got outside, ran two miles before church, and with each step I could feel my body loosening up. And the sunshine was breath-taking....not sure if that's good for the Groundhog Day folklore, but I'll take sunshine any day it's offered. I also did 10 flights stairs for a warm-up and cool-down...so that was good, too.
Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, outdoor and nature

All in all, I'm happy with how the week played out. Total running tallied at 16 miles, and walking came in at a whopping 9 miles. I do anticipate the walking will be increasing in the weeks to come, as we get more extended daylight. There were 20 minutes of elliptical action, a (shortened) stair/HIIT workout and some upper-body strength work. As for stairs, this week saw 170 total (intentional) flights climbed (all double-stepped, some with hand weights). I'll take it. I'm still keeping the running mileage pretty minimal, but that will be increasing as I prep for my March/April races.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:
Back Outside Never Felt So Fine
The Iowa Winter Games 5K
Runfessions and Coffee Talk

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair! We had a Super Bowl potluck at work, so it was only appropriate to wear the colors. Truthfully, I'm more of a NCAA football gal,  but I do love all the excitement on Super Bowl weekend, regardless of who's playing. Disclaimer....this was a borrowed shirt, but the color red has always been a favorite, so this sparkly Chiefs shirt would fit nicely in my wardrobe. As always, you're welcome to join me on Fridays...post a pic on Instagram, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).



My January kept me busy, but that's the way (uh huh, uh huh), I like it.

Finally, do you have any February goals? Or are you looking for a challenge to get you through the next four weeks? Here's what I have on tap...1-mile walk (at the minimum, and it has to be an actual walk...accumulated steps don't count), 20 push-ups, and 20 flights of stairs. All of these, on the daily, for 29 days. As a result, I'll be going light on focused lower-body strength workouts for awhile, since the stairs do a lot of that by default.

So, how was your week? Are you eager for an early Spring? Did you have sunshine on Groundhog's Day, too? Any big goals or events coming up in February?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

39 comments:

  1. I always love to see you getting out there every morning (and getting it all done inside too!). Even though your workout was shorter than planned, you nailed it. Great job this week! It's a beautiful sunny day here in Ohio for Groundhog Day. I'm heading to the zoo to take advantage of the sun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had some sunshine in Iowa, but I usually don't get to take advantage of it until late in the day (this time of year). It's wonderful to get outside in the (not-so-early) morning under a sun-drenched sky :-)

      Delete
  2. You are so inspiring...always out t here... no matter what the weather.

    Today is a nice...but it's my rest day!!!

    Looking forward to spring!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today actually feels like Spring, temps are currently in the mid-40's (3:45 p.m.). Now, this is my kind of winter weather :-)

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed that you ran in 18 degrees. I know that no wind really makes a difference but I probably would have stayed inside on the treadmill if I didn't have a running buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of wind is such a great thing! I think I ran (earlier in the month) one morning and the temps were in the single digits, but with no wind, it was so tranquil.

      Delete
  4. We've got sunshine today for the first time in 11 days and boy, is it nice to see. Plus it's 50 degrees! I didn't want to quit running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got in a nice mix of workouts this week! Loving watching you take on all of these stair workouts. I've got to try those sometime! Let's do this February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the perfect set-up in your house for stair workouts! Although, it would involve a lot of circles LOL

      Delete
  6. Yes I had a workout this week where my body just said no...and my body is the boss. We're having a warm and sunny day and I'm not sure if it's just a blip or if we're going to finally have an easy winter this year. So I'm going to soak up today and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, January was more mild than crazy this year, especially the last two weeks. I keep wondering if it will continue for the next 4-5 weeks....

      Delete
  7. We had sunshine on Groundhog's day also! After a dreary week, it make me excited for spring. Good for you for getting in outdoor runs even on the gross winter days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's sunshine (and warmer than usual temps) felt so much like Spring :-) I hope it's not just a teaser.

      Delete
  8. We had sunshine for a like an hour. Unfortunately I was not out there then. I did look pretty, and I was actually motivated to be out there, but had stuff to do still. Oh well.

    I have a feeling I'll be shoveling some ice towards the end of the week. Who needs strength training, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice shoveling is SO much tougher than snow, and snow is already a beast in and of itself. I totally count it as both strength and cardio...and there's quite a bit of core work as well.

      Delete
  9. A great week's running, walking and other stuff and I totally used you as a model with a load of double-step stair climbs when I was recovering from my cold, so thank you as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, you're welcome :-) I'm glad the stair-climbing worked out for you!!

      Delete
  10. I have to give some thought to my February goals - thanks for the reminder!

    It's been a cloudy day today, and it was a pretty blah week weather wise, but tomorrow the high is 60 degrees - go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60-degrees????? I need to hop a plane and head your way :-) We could do stairs, and run, and you could give me an OTF initiation :-) We could even wear our matching shoes :-)

      Delete
  11. We are actually sunny for once! Sunny and 50 and I had a gym day. What's wrong with that picture? Oh well. Great week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we had a glorious sunny day yesterday, too...but the sun didn't emerge until AFTER my run LOL I can feel your pain :-)

      Delete
  12. That Thursday workout was a killer! Great that you at least managed two sets. I rather overestimate my workout and then have to cut it short than the other way round.
    Great February challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point about cutting a tough workout short. I'm glad for what I was able to accomplish, and it worked out nice that it was in circuits... so it felt "complete" even though it wasn't LOL

      Delete
  13. The sunshine helped this weekend, but I am so ready for hot sweaty summer runs where you don't have to think about ANY icy spots...Great job this week getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I'm ready for those hot & sweaty runs, too! Just a few more weeks (I hope) of ice worries...

      Delete
  14. Another great week for you - I always admire your consistency! You've got some good goals for February!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you are hitting the stairs. Always a fun workout! I know I'm in the minority but I feel like we got cheated weather wise in January. I'm hoping for a super snowy February to make up for it. I've got big ski plans! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We, too, had sunshine for Groundhog's Day; and yes, I'd love an early spring. If we're not going to get any snow to amount to anything this year, then we might as well enjoy an early spring!

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great February challenge. I don't have a formal one beyond continuing to get strong in PT
    I'm a sucker for sparkle too
    Our weather was all over today. Unseasonably warm, yet snow overnight and a major temperature drop this morning. I think both local-ish groundhogs (SI, Pux) had different results. Fittign with this weather

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could go for a fitness routine switch-up that involves sleeping a bit later -- but only if I still had time for Starbucks before work. We really haven't had snow yet this year, so maybe February will bring us a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A solid, consistent January for you! You've got this winter thing down :-) Good luch with your Feb Challenge! I'm trying to get to 40 push-ups (no breaks) as part of my 40 By 40 Challenge. So far I can only get to around 3, so I have a long way to go! I think I'll dedicate February to that. Let's see how many I get to by the 29th!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, 20 flights of stairs as a warm up for your run? I think that would be a full workout for me! Thats a great goal to do them every day this month. Hopefully February goes by pretty quickly and doesn't bring too much bad weather!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your Chiefs! We were a house divided last night (Mr PugRunner cheered for the 49ers, and little man suddenly decided he was Team KC, so that was that).

    That Thursday workout was pretty rough. It's ok to call it and let your body be your guide. You have such great consistency and work ethic that you'll get it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how active you are, Kim, but are totally real when it doesn't always work out the way you planned. I understand that your team won the superbowl (heard it on the news this morning here in NL), congratulations!! Groundhog day here way a grey, wet, mess. Pretty sure there were no shadows but I've no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're right, that lack of wind really makes a difference! I've learned to check the "feels like" temperature the hard way. Good ideas for those February goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great january stats and shoveling snow should definitely be counted as strength training or something ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My only goal is to make it through this month without another fall or injury and to run the Publix Atlanta Half Marathon. I know a few days it has been in the low 30s but there hasn't been any wind so it actually felt mild for January. I like it! Even my mother made a comment about it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 29 burpees a day. But I am going to try to do more than that on some days to reach a total of 2020. But the month is early and my bunions are already hurting so...

    ReplyDelete