Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Winter Iowa Games 5K



There's a first time for everything, right?

Since 1987, Iowa has hosted the Iowa Games. Similarly to the Olympic Games (but obviously on a much smaller scale), there are summer events and winter events that take part over the course of a couple weekends (in each season) encompassing various sporting events.

I have participated in the Summer Iowa Games, doing the 5K and 10K road races in 2016, 2018 and 2019. It's never fit my schedule to take part in the Winter Iowa Games, but that all changed this past weekend.

The city was Dubuque (a city along the Mississippi River) and the event was the 5K road race.

My friend, Barb, and I made the 2-1/2 hour trek to Dubuque late Friday afternoon, arriving in time to attend the recognition dinner. Barb's company is the title sponsor, and she was there not only repping the company, but also as a participating athlete.

The race had a 9:00 a.m. start time Saturday morning, and I had not preregistered. We arrived on the scene before 8:30, giving me ample time to get registered and get my race pack.

An awesome perk was the staging area, Carver Elementary School, so we had a warm place to hang out before the race started and access to heated restrooms.

We headed out for a short warm-up run (about 3/4-mile) and got a feel for the cold (though bearable) temps. The wind felt strong because we didn't really have any kind of a barrier (trees or substantial buildings), and the temps were cold...but, oddly, it didn't feel that bad given the recent cold spell we'd endured.
Let's go!
The officials ushered us outside, at 8:55, to the edge of the parking lot. With the blare of the bullhorn, we were off and running, quite literally.

The first 1/4 mile (or so) had us heading east, riding a pleasant tailwind and a grand downhill. As soon as we turned the corner, onto Radford (heading due south), the cross wind came into play. We only had a short ways on level terrain, though, because shortly before the 1-mile mark we already were heading back up a gentle incline.

Barb and and I hung together for most of that first mile. Just after the mile mark, though, I could feel myself inching just slightly ahead.

The first part of the second mile had us going south until we turned right, heading west, just after the 1-1/4 mile mark. Since the race course was an out-and-back, there was a hairpin turn-around at the halfway point...and we were still riding a slight incline to get there.

I made it to the turn-around, and spotted Barb, shortly after I'd made the the turn. As they say, what goes up, comes back down...so there was a nice decline for a short ways.  It felt good to just let my legs run free for a few minutes and enjoy the downhill.

The downhill segment was pretty short-lived, though. After making the left turn (a short ways before the 2-mile mark), there still was a good 1-1/4ish mile remaining...most of which would be back on an incline, and (now) into the wind.

I'm not afraid of hills, but they are especially challenging on a cold morning with wind in your face. I just kept trying to remember to pump my arms to keep the forward-momentum going. Although I felt a bit of relief making it to the final corner (and only having about 1/4-mile to the finish line), the final jaunt had the strongest uphill of the morning and it was straight into the west wind.

It was nice seeing a small herd of people as I made my way to the finish line. Hearing cheers (from strangers) and sharing a few random high-5's never get old...am I right?

Although it was a far cry from a PR, I'm happy with how I finished considering the hilly course and the non-stop wind. Besides, "fast and flat" race courses are for sissies (in my humble opinion LOL).

My splits showed a nice "progressively positive" story - 8:20/8:35/9:20 (and 1:05 for the final .12mile).

I did wind up snagging a first place age group win, though I do believe the cold weather probably kept a few people away on race morning. Overall, the attendance was small, which is unfortunate given the organization of the event.

My stats:
27:15 official finish time
1st AG out of 6
4th female (out of 22)
17th overall (out of 43)

Barb also placed first in her age group, so it was a double-gold kind of morning for us.

Overall, I thought this was a great event, just unfortunate more runners didn't participate. I guess not everyone is as willing to suck it up and face the weather as others. As mentioned, the event was very well organized and well supported in terms of volunteers. The majority of the race course had us on city streets with a narrow lane coned off for the runners. The traffic wasn't much of an issue, though,  and there were police officers positioned at the two corners where the route had turns.

For swag, there was an option to upgrade to a tech fabric shirt, but I opted to just go with the regular cotton (unisex) shirt. I have enough event shirts as it is, so another tech shirt thrown into the mix was definitely NOT needed. I do like the Winter Iowa Games graphics!

Medals were given to the top three finishers in each of the (5-year) age divisions.



If you'd like more information, check out the Winter Iowa Games website (HERE). There are many  more events than just this road race...there's also skiing, snowboarding, ice hockey, indoor swimming & diving, volleyball and lots of indoor soccer (just to name a few).

Does your state offer a state-wide series of games such as this? What's your preference - a flat and fast race course, or one with some hills? 

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel  for the Running Coaches' Corner



By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

31 comments:

  1. Whee - AG firsts for both of you, that's brilliant! And heated restrooms and fun times running into the wind (hmm). Sounds like you've got well-adjusted to the winter weather and that helped you out there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well adjusted, indeed :-) It was so much colder a couple weeks ago, that anything above 20F feels comfortable.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to both of you! It's always a risk to plan a race in January in the Midwest. Did you like Dubuque? I was there several years ago and it looked like it was really struggling economically. Hopefully that has changed. I like the shirt design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dubuque was really struggling several years ago, but I think there was a big revitalization movement (and some grant money) that gave it a much-needed boost. The Midwest is a total crap shoot on winter races...maybe that's why they're so scarce?

      Delete
  3. Woot woot congrats on your AG win! Your description of the race reminds me a lot of the 5k that I did on New Years Eve, also headquartered at a school. There was about a half mile hill at the end and right at the end I felt like I was being driven backwards by the wind. I mean, I don't mind a fast course but there is definitely more satisfaction in overcoming the odds on a hard course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...your comment about overcoming the odds says it all. There is a lot of satisfaction in having to fight (a little) to get to the finish line. Of course, I do like having an effortless race now and then, too...but I don't appreciate the finish line as much.

      Delete
  4. I actually do really like flat & fast, but I have tackled many very hilly races, too.

    Nice job to you both -- congrats on your twin gold medals! I love races that have indoor facilities, especially in Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The indoor facilities are such a nice touch this time of year!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your AG win - that's amazing! It was super windy here too this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wind wasn't crazy strong, but it was steady and with no shelter from it. Thankfully, it was "only" a 5K LOL

      Delete
  6. Ha, double-gold!! COngrats to you and Barb!
    Uphill and headwind... ugh. It's a good idea to pump the arms to keep the momentum going. Sometimes I also count my steps. Weird, but I find it helps. I'll go with the sissy-option: I like flat and fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have counted my steps before, too. I play a little guessing game, trying to predict how many steps to the top of the hill...we do what we can, right?

      Delete
  7. Good for you in supporting your friend and making the trek. It's hard that many people will not race when the weather is cold. My friends included.

    I have one this weekend...I will probably have to go alone.

    Congrats on the AG award.

    I love fast and flat but there are very few of those...Hills keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, hills do keep it interesting and definitely work the body better.

      Delete
  8. Huge congrats my good friend! You've really been crushing it out there lately. It's been fun to watch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deborah!! I appreciate all the support you're constantly giving me :-) Hoping we can hook up for another race sometime (or just girl chatter & fun)!

      Delete
  9. I really agree with Deborah - watching you crush it race after race has been so fun and inspiring! What an awesome concept the Iowa Games is! Glad you got to take part in the Winter Games too this year. Fell in love with your shoe colour while reading this - I've tried to stay away from pink the last two pairs of shoes I've gotten, but no more -- I need to get back to pink, that's my colour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, go pink or go home!! I'm all about bright colors...they really make one run faster :-)

      Delete
  10. Nice job Kim! I hope you were just kidding about the flat and fast courses being for sissies? Is that why you've never run the Chicago Marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...of course that was a joke (note the LOL), with a slight hint of sarcasm. I've already done a few Chicago races, so the Marathon is not high on my bucket list, but I would like to run it someday.

      Delete
  11. What a fun event!! Way to go snagging that GOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sometimes prefer those small races, ya know? That pace is fantastic for winter running. Come spring and fall, you'll be kicking booty!!!! Not that you aren't now but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, I know what you mean :-) The wind and the hills certainly keep us humble, right?

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! Great job!

    You know, I don't know that any of the races I've attended have had an inside place to wait/register! It's funny how different things are in different regions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's quite a bit colder in Iowa LOL We need those indoor accommodations.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on your AG win! It doesn't matter how many people were in that race, you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie :-) I'm happy with my pace and overall performance, so all is well. Just too bad there weren't more cold weather warriors at the start line!

      Delete
  15. Way to go! First place on a cold windy morning on a hilly course is not too shabby!!! Sounds like it was a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes, all things considered, I'm happy with how the race played out. Just a bummer there were more participants.

      Delete
  16. Congrats to you and Barb! January races in the Midwest are not that popular. Well, my opinion. :-) I wished races would give long sleeve cotton shirts. I remember the days when that is what I would get. I regret getting rid of mine.

    ReplyDelete