Monday, January 20, 2020

Tackling the Treadmill Turmoil


The treadmill has been my nemesis for quite some time.

I'm not afraid of it. I'm not intimidated by it. I'm certainly not in a battle with it. But I avoid running on it at (almost) all cost.

A bigger-than-BIG goal of mine, this winter, is to have a much more open mind and a welcoming heart when it comes to indoor running. Heck, if I can make it through a Polar Vortex (and endure upwards of 20 Milly runs, all in one season), I can probably survive most any (near) catastrophic experience.

That's not an exaggeration.

Alas, I've decided to share a few tricks that got me through last year's Polar Vortex. Keep in mind, these coping mechanisms are unique to me, my mindset, and the particular locale of my treadmill (whom I not-so-fondly refer to as Milly).

Here are some strategies that have worked for me in logging time on the treadmill...

Run short. Consider doing a simple, short run. It can be just a couple of miles in distance, or even just 20-30 minutes of cardio. You could make it into a quick speed workout, or just 30 minutes of easy-does-it running. Keep it short and sweet and it may not be so bad.

Mix it up. Personally, I just cannot do long, steady runs on the treadmill. Seriously, I think I have run six miles (once? maybe twice?), but usually five miles is my max. Those of you who can knock out double digit miles have my utmost respect, but not my envy (I say that sincerely). I usually have to switch up the speed and/or the incline intermittently. A five mile run goes a lot quicker (for me, at least) if each 1/2-mile has something different to offer.

Make it a progression run. Gradually increasing the speed has many benefits, the least of which is knowing the second half of the run will go faster. Depending on how far you're running (or how fast), you may want to reserve the last mile (or two) for a cool-down.

Look elsewhere. My treadmill resides in our mud room, so there are no big screens for entertainment or distraction. A lot of my runs also happen in the early hours, so that window, looking out into our backyard, often times acts as a mirror when it's dark outside. Yeah. That gal in the window is entertaining for maybe the first mile, and then I get pretty bored with both her and her flopping ponytail. If you need a distraction, possibly your phone or iPad/tablet may suffice. Myself, I just suck it up and go without because it isn't worth the extra work (of focusing on a small screen while in movement), and I don't know how secure it would be from bouncing or sliding.

Play a few mind games. Similar to mixing it up with intervals, I often times run the last 1/4-mile (of each mile) at a faster pace. It may seem trivial, but running 3/4 of a mile at a "steady, boring pace" is MUCH easier (mentally) than running an entire mile at said pace. Also, if I feel like I need a break, I try to pause at the 1/4-mile mark...because that 3/4-mile remaining will go so much faster than if it was an entire mile. Hey, it works for me.

Swap in some strength-training breaks. As much as runners love their cardio, it's no secret a little bit of strength work makes us even better at running. Once in awhile, I pause after each mile and do a short set of upper-body strength moves, as well as a few lower-body moves. This is more of an all-body workout than an actual "run," but it gives me a few miles of cardio as well as some strength-training.

Have a sense of humor. There's much to be said of the simple act of laughing. I have a running page on Facebook (Running on the Fly) and an Instagram account, both of which have been valuable mediums in connecting with other runners and fitness enthusiasts. As a result, I usually share a post-workout pic after most of my workouts or runs. Seriously, though, no one wants to see sweaty selfie after sweaty selfie with the same smile from the same treadmill...am I right? After all, there's only so much filters can do to liven up a boring setting. Well, last winter, I got the idea to take my post-treadmill selfies outside...kind of an act of rebellion from the dreadful "inside" runs the cold weather had forced upon me. Ironically, that very cold weather (for a very quick moment) actually felt quite refreshing following a sweaty, indoor run. Cryotherapy at its purest form. So, the outdoor selfie became a ritual.

Bottom line, the treadmill run is your's for the taking ... but it does not have to happen. Trust me on this, the world will not stop revolving, the sun will not disintegrate, nor will your fitness tank overnight if you skip a run. Remember, we get to choose to run. There have been a few times when I had a number in my head (like, five miles). I'd make it to the 4-mile mark, and some times that last mile felt like an awesome victory for making it that far.

Other times, that last mile loomed over me, and practically taunted me into submission. Once, instead of fighting my way through one more mile, I hit the OFF button and walked away, with ZERO regrets. Basically, I ended the run on my own terms. If your body is tired, your form will probably be compromised as well. Often times, your mind will be, too. It's okay to call it. There's no shame in ending a run before things go south.

So, those are a few tricks I have in my treadmill survival arsenal. Not everyone needs such devices to get through the winter, but I do. I'm a die-hard summer runner gal at heart.  I can tolerate the Winter, but that doesn't mean I have to love it.




Care to hear a bit more about me and my treadmill? Check out these posts:
The Treadmill: Five Recent Reality Revelations
A Treadmill Catharsis
I named her Milly

How do you feel about winter running? Do you find yourself running less in the cold weather? Running just as much? Do you take your runs to the treadmill when the temps get cold?


I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel  for the Running Coaches' Corner



By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


32 comments:

  1. Argh, I HATE the treadmill!! The only time I had to use it was on a business trip to India because there were no running options outside. So boring. I like the strength training breaks! I never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...so BORING!!! Even though some distract themselves with TV or movies, etc., I don't think that would be a good fit for me...my form is already compromised on the 'mill; I got no business distracting myself further from the task at hand LOL

      Delete
  2. I don't like running on a treadmill as I did only that over one icy winter and then hurt myself when I ran outside again (this was peculiar to me and doesn't mean I don't think people should run on treadmills). So if it's horribly icy out I will tend to do the same effort (time, usually) but on a cross trainer or static bike. I can read as I go then, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the 'mill messes with my form and and stride. My long legs are almost a hazzard on that device, and I almost always feel it in my hips if I run too far (hence the 5-mile distance). BUT, I am glad I have it as an option when the weather isn't playing nice.

      Delete
  3. I think we are using the same playbook. I usually aim for 3 miles, but might end up with 4, and definitely do intervals or some sort of progression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have a lot of mental strength, but it goes out the window when I crank on the treadmill. And, I'm alright with that. I don't "need" anything further than those 5 miles anyways this time of year (at least while I'm inside).

      Delete
  4. One way I keep my treadmill runs sane is by mixing it up with intervals. I also play "listening games" with my songs. Every time a certain word is said or if the chorus comes on I'll bump up the speed or incline. It keeps things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I gotta keep the incline and speed almost constantly changing LOL

      Delete
  5. Ah Kim, true life, I'm just off the tready from a 5 miler. There's so much ice outside that my weather app just shows a treadmill for every day of the 15 day forecast. To which I say my next outdoor run is going to be all the sweeter for all of the treadmill miles that will make it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I'm a treadmill lover! But that's because I've got endless hours of entertainment in front of me. I'm not sure I'd be able to just stare out the window or my reflection(!) for more than a mile or two! I'm totally fine just hanging out on my treadmill for the rest of the winter. It's my safe zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky your body (and mind) can handle the treadmill for those long runs. At least I have discovered the magic and beauty of intervals (and incline variation) so I can tolerate the 'mill now and then ;-)

      Delete
  7. I really admire people who manage (and even enjoy) long treadmill runs, but like you I don't envy them, LOL! I'm so glad I rarely have to use my treadmill but I love all the different ways you tackle the treadmill turmoil! Those post treadmill selfies of yours always make me smile, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shathiso :-) I don't care how silly (or insane?) those outdoor selfies look, they are empowering to me. Everyone has their coping vice, right :-)

      Delete
  8. I also avoid it all costs. Cannot remember the last time I went on mine! I have to watch tv or do something to distract myself for sure. Hope this winter does not keep you inside too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope this winter will be a little kinder than last year. Having made it through last year's antics, I know I can do it again, if need be....but I'd rather just be outside :-)

      Delete
  9. I definitely run on the treadmillmore, as you know. I’m with you on the short runs & progression runs. I have sometimes done longer runs . . . you do what you gotta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do what needs to get done. I'm just thankful I don't need to do anything longer than five miles this time of year LOL

      Delete
  10. I actually dont mind the treadmill too much these days. There are times where convenience wins, and I appreciate being able to run at all. It can definitely get boring but I do many of the same tricks as you to change things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that all of my treadmill runs are not out of necessity (for training, that is). ALL of them are elective, or I think I'd resent the 'mill even more. And, yes, those tricks are necessary for me...plus, they're a great exercise of my creativity. Glass half full!

      Delete
  11. I have a new treadmill and while I don't like running inside, I can't complain about the ride. It even has a shelf for my iPad. If only I could get the WiFi to work in this remote corner of my house...First World Problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has an angled shelf, but the plastic shield isn't very big. When I do have my phone there, it rattles and vibrates like crazy, making it impossible to focus on what ever appears on the screen. I've thought about moving it downstairs, by the elliptica...but for the little I use it, I'm fine with the mental strength training it gives me. Yeah, first world probs for me, too.

      Delete
  12. Good tricks! I like that idea of mixing it up with some strength training moves for variety. I definitely rely on Netflix on my Ipad for entertainment when I'm on the treadmill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF you have access to watching something, that's great! All I have is the view through the window (or my reflection LOL)

      Delete
  13. I totally agree with all of that. There are some days I can easily knock out 4 miles without ever looking down at the distance screen. But other days it's just PAINFUL. Those are the days I switch it up every quarter mile. And it totally helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Sometimes I can go every half mile...but usually it's every 1/4 mile or bust.

      Delete
  14. These are great tips! I agree that steady runs on the mill are hard. Mixing it up is key! I've been using the Peloton app lately to power me through 'mill runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cannot do the long steady runs on the 'mill...I'm thankful I don't need to do them!

      Delete
  15. Winter running is a wee bit different here, so I am usually fine to go out in our lowest temps (unless it's raining). The treadmill is very much my last resort. Also, I find people here use the mill more during the summer months than winter LOL.

    I love your outdoor selfies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes the treadmill is a necessary thing. I love your tips. Many of the same as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can tell it's been a crazy cold week or two because I've seen so many posts about treadmill running lately! I don't do it very often but when I do I need some kind of workout to help get me through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A few summers ago I did a lot of running on the treadmill. Yep, double digits for me. :-) I watched shows on Netflix which was my favorite thing to do. I also listened to music and used a timer while running at various speeds. Made the runs a bit more "exciting". The right gear is what makes winter running more bearable. One winter while training for a marathon, I did most of my runs outside. I think 1 or 2 were on the treadmill. I am still scared to run outside so treadmill running for me now.

    ReplyDelete