Thursday, April 29, 2021

All is Fair in Fitness and 'Fessions

 


All is fair in fitness and 'fessions...at least that's what I'm going with.

It's that time of the month, when it's only right (and needed!) to 'fess up a few things from life and reality. For the most part, all things are pretty quiet and stable... 

My stress fracture may be history, but I suspect a relapse will always be lurking in the back of my mind. Momma N, and her army of weather gods, has kept me guessing...but she has not kept me inside. And, the increasing daylight, before and after my workday, has been absolutely wonderful.

So what could I possibly have to 'fess about? Trust me, there's always something...

First off, where are all the robins? Let me clarify...where are they when I'm out and about, with my phone at the ready? I've seen many of them, this past month, while driving. But when I'm out walking or running?  They are nowhere to be seen or captured on camera. I photo-fess, I'm disappointed I couldn't get a better pic of this usual sign of Spring.



Since early November, I've been doing the Illinois Criss Cross Virtual Challenge. I've been meticulously logging my daily miles from walking, running, and (half of those from) elliptical'ing. A couple weeks ago, I officially crossed the virtual finish line, but since the challenge goes until May 1st, I have continued to log all these bonus miles (current mileage count, as of April 29th is 529!). I MilesLog-fess, it's going to be weird to break from this routine of the past six months (but I think I'll manage quite well without it).

lots -o-miles, in all kinds of weather, through three seasons

Speaking of mileage, my April mileage was decent. Running actually had more miles logged than walking did (that hasn't happened in awhile, just saying). As of Thursday evening, running had 76 miles (but there's a few more happening Friday morning, after this post goes live). Walking had 66 (probably a few more of those will be added, as well, on Friday). Biking had 85, with some of those happening outside, with Gustavas! I'll cycle-fess it here and now... I'm ecstatic to be back outside, on the road with the bike!



My eighth Fight for Air Climb is coming "up" (see what I did there LOL) on May 15th. I'll climb-fess that I've been training, but not as diligently as in years past. Maybe it's because stair workouts are pretty standard in my fitness routine (after all, they frequently end up in my HIIT workouts). Also, in recent months, I've added 10 flights of climbing to my warm-up routine before all of my runs. For this year's Climb, instead of having all the climbers take to the stuffy indoor stairwells of tall buildings in downtown Des Moines, we'll be climbing/running the stadium steps at Principal Park (which is a baseball field/arena). This is all in the name of Covid safety, of course. Being a new venue, in terms of location and logistics, none of my previous finish times will matter (in terms of PR'ing). There are 834 steps to be climbed, but I'm not sure how that's going to work. I assume it will be a lot easier than climbing several flights of stairs nonstop, because there will be an equal amount of descending (for recovery) as we make our way around the stadium. Stay tuned ... maybe I'm grossly underestimating the effort involved. None the less, I'm beyond excited and eager to return to this event (I missed it in 2019, due to running the Cherry Blossom 10-Mile and the 2020 event went virtual).  

Eat. Sleep. Climb. Repeat.

Lastly, I may have already runfessed this, but I think I'm done with my need for music while running. I ran the Drake Road Races Half Marathon a couple weeks ago. It was hilly, and 13.1 miles is the furthest I've run since July of last year. I even had the hubby's vintage iPod Shuffle with me, just in case, and I forget to insert the ear buds. Oops. Let me music-fess, I didn't even miss it.

the little "bulge" above my race bib is from the earbuds that never got used LOL

Okay, I feel all better now! Nothing earth-shattering to runfess, but it does feel good to cleanse the (running) sole(s) and move on. 

How about you? Any runfessions that need disclosing? Have you seen more robins than me (I hope so!)? What's the longest distance you have run sans music (or anything, via ear buds)? Ever done a stadium climb?
 

 I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

28 comments:

  1. I don't run with music anymore (except the occasional desperate treadmill run) so I guess the longest I've run without it is a marathon! I think I stopped around 2014. I think now it would feel really weird to run outside and listen to music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used it on the treadmill, but it's a nuisance because my treadmill is so loud. Ever since MCM (in the rain, sans music), I've come to realize I wasn't as dependent on music as I'd thought.

      Delete
  2. I don't run with music anymore either mostly bc I run w someone for most runs. I walk with an audible book which is nice. I hear lots of birds as well but they are hard to photo. Sounds like you had a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't believe how out-of-sight the robins have been. I see them as I'm driving, but not when I'm on foot.

      Delete
  3. I don't run with music on the trails but on pavement, I have to. It's so boring. I actually look forward to those runs, getting lost in my tunes. Best of both worlds, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised how easy it was to get used to not having music with me. I think it was a security blanket "vice" for me. Being forced to deal with the absence of it (at MCM, in the rain), I realized I didn't need it as much as I'd thought.

      Delete
  4. I stopped using music on the run many years ago. Sometimes I do think maybe I should go back to it, but my phone just doesn't keep a good connection to wireless buds on the run, and I hate being wired to my phone.

    A great solution to your stair climb!

    I think in time the memory of the stress fracture will fade. I also think it's normal to be concerned about it for a while.

    Robins are EVERYWHERE here, all robins, all the time. But they don't like to pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see robins when I'm driving, but it's like they totally go into hiding when I'm on foot. I loved my Shuffle, but it died on me (after many years of loyal companionship). I don't want to burn the battery on my phone, either, which is why the Shuffle was a perfect fit for me.

      Delete
  5. Lots of robins are here and the blue herons and egrets showed up this week as well! Yay! A stadium climb sounds SO much nicer than a stuffy stairwell affair. Typically I do not run marathons with music. I'd much rather tune into the crowd. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I ran MCM without music (due to my Shuffle biting the dust at mile 2), I realized how much I'd been missing from the crowd. I still could see and hear them (with the music), but I definitely didn't interact as much with them.

      Delete
  6. I almost always listen to music, podcast or a book while on the streets but rarely if on the trails. It helps the time go by especially on a long run even though sometimes I end up getting lost in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used music since the very beginning, and had never even attempted to go without. Frankly, I was afraid I'd get too bored and the runs would seem too long with only myself as entertainment. But, being forced to go without (when my Shuffle died, onsite) allowed me to realize I could hold my own. I actually tried taking the hubby's Shuffle with me this morning, and it wouldn't work ... I guess the music gods were sending me a message LOL

      Delete
  7. I hear the Robins in full-throat when I'm out but have yet to spy one.

    I like the idea of stadium stairs vs. indoors - it's great that this event will continue!

    While I do the occasional run without music, I really prefer tunes for most of my runs. This is why I love my Aftershokz headphones so I can hear my tunes and my surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stadium stairs will be an interesting change. Not sure if my strategy will be to "run" the steps, knowing I'll be able to come right back down, or if it will be too difficult to pass others.

      Delete
  8. I usually listen to podcasts while running, but will occasionally put on music for the last couple miles of a long run. But sometimes (usually due to a phone/headphones malfunction) I'll listen to nothing, and I'm fine with that too!
    I think you'll probably do great on your upcoming Climb. You do stairs regularly, AND are in half marathon shape so it should go well. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to bring music along for an occasional run (since my running-in-silence thing began), but it's never worked out. Either the batteries weren't working, or the device wasn't charged, or I couldn't get it to "shuffle" to a good song. It wound up being more work than necessary.

      Delete
  9. I love that you do the Fight for Air Climb annually.

    I think it's awesome that you're able to run long distances without music. for some reason, I just can't run without music because I hate the sound of my hard breathing, lol. I also tend to get inside of my head more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I found happens to me... instead of letting my thoughts wander or "draft" the next great blog post, I'll keep singing the most recent song (from the radio) to myself. That can get a little annoying, and it's tough to get a song out of your mind! Even if I try to think of a different song, before I Know it, I'll be singing the first one ((again)).

      Delete
  10. You know, it's funny. I was just about to say "I don't know if I could run a half without music." But then I realize, I run 10 miles without anything. What's a few more?

    I know you will always worry about reinjury with that stress fracture - it's a scary thing. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have believed I could run a long distance without music, until I was forced to do so at a race. And, it wasn't a big deal LOL

      Delete
  11. I think running the stadium steps will be a fun change for you and can't wait to hear what you think.

    Our Robins were out in abundance in our side yard in March. Now we're constantly entertained by Goldfinches and Bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the stadium steps. Besides, there's no pressure to PR LOL

      Delete
  12. I runfess that I totally understand why you're continuing to log your IL miles...I've done the same with my state's mileage challenge. The only question is whether I'll get to double mileage by the time the challenge ends. I also runfess that music has gotten optional for me BUT I still listen more often than not. I usually walk for a bit after my runs and I really like to catch a few minutes of a podcast or an audiobook, and it's easier to do that if I'm already wearing my airpods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After six months of logging all those miles, it will feel like I'm "cheating" by not doing so. Oh well...

      Delete
  13. You did great capturing that robin on your phone camera. I have tried to photograph birds before - no luck. They move so fast and are so far away!!! Congrats on completing the Illinois challenge early. I don't listen to music anymore when I run. There are the safety considerations, plus, my own thoughts are entertaining enough to prevent boredom. Good luck with your climb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...I was very surprised how efficient I am for entertaining myself, without music or a friend to chat with. Lucky me LOL

      Delete
  14. Great job on all of your mileage for April. I am always impressed with all of the activities you manage to do each week. I run with music. Keeps me moving and motivated. However, years ago I ran without it and realized it wasn't that bad. Where I run now isn't that exciting so my music helps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did the marathon without music, but that doesn't count due to the crowd support. I've surprised myself lately with not turning my podcast or music back on when I leave a friend, but if I go out for solo I always have something. Audio crutch? Probably.
    Outside time is the best kind of time!

    ReplyDelete