Thursday, April 15, 2021

IMT Des Moines Marathon Weekend: Why I'm So Giddy


 

Disclaimer: I received a race registration for the IMT Des Moines Marathon weekend as part of being a Bibrave Pro. Learn more about becoming a Bibrave Pro (ambassador), check out Bibrave.com to review, find, and write race reviews.

The IMT Des Moines Marathon. Oh how I love thee.

Well, it's not just the marathon, but ALL of the events affiliated with race weekend.

Even though race weekend is six months out (October 16th -17th), I'm already feeling pretty giddy. There are many reasons why I'm totally pumped for this weekend. Care to hear a few? How about five?

Here goes...

My first-ever half marathon.
One such reason is the 2008 half marathon was my first-ever half marathon. Although my beloved Dam to Dam had been my first long-distance race, that was a 20K. The IMT Des Moines Half Marathon was an entire 13.1 miles. They say you never forget your first time, and that's especially true in running and racing. I opted to defer my 2020 registration (hello #Covid, and then there was that little stress fracture...), so returning to the 13.1 live race course will be a fabulous reunion of sorts.

2018, my 7th time crossing this favorite finish line

Returning to the 5-Mile Run.
This year, I'm also returning to the MercyOne 5-Mile Run. Formerly known as the Mercy Live Up Loop 5-mile, this is such a fun run on the Saturday of the Marathon Weekend. I've only run this race twice. (In 2016, it was the event's inaugural year, and I was deep in training for Route 66. In 2017, I was in the early stages of my post-knee surgery rally-back, but managed a 3rd place AG on a rainy morning. This year, my goal race, the Air Force Marathon, will be over and done...so I just may have a chance of actually "racing" those five miles to some degree. Stay tuned...

my 3rd place AG award from 2017...an etched glass stein!

My 26.2 PR.
Another significant memory was the 2014 IMT Des Moines Marathon, which still holds my 26.2 PR. Seriously, what's not to love about that? Although I will not be even dreaming of running the full marathon course this year, just being back on those streets makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

After finishing the 2014 full marathon, with the Iowa State Capitol in the background


Something for everyone.
This weekend offers a distance suitable for any (and every) one. You can race either on Saturday or Sunday, and you have the option of racing on both days by doing the Combo. There's even a marathon relay option.  As mentioned, I'm no stranger to this grand weekend. I have been a part of it in various capacities in the past 13 years:

***I have run the Half Marathon in 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 20152016, 2018 and 2019
***I ran the Full Marathon in 2014
***I ran the 5K in 2015 (as part of the 5K/13.1 Combo)
***I ran the Mercy Live Up Loop 5-mile in 2016 (as part of the 5 Mile/13.1 Combo) and also in 2017

2015 medals from the 5K and 13.1 Combo are magnetized!


You can run it virtually!
Finally, for any non-local runners not wishing to travel, there are virtual options for all events! I realize  most of us have had our fill of virtual races by now, but the virtual option is a great alternative none the less. 

Bottom line, I'm excited to return to Marathon Weekend in Des Moines! I've participated for so many continuous years, it was really tough to not have it as part of my usual fall roster last year. But it's a new year, and live races are returning!

If you're interested, check out the IMT Des Moines Marathon site HERE. Care to join me? Code BIBRAVE21 will save you $10 on your registration.

Do you have a favorite race that keeps you coming back, year after year? Is it returning this year? 

I'm linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

19 comments:

  1. I have some favorite local races (shorter ones), but I've only ever repeated one half (also my first one).

    Definitely nice to have something so fun to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "bad" thing about repeating a race such as this is the comparison of all those different finish times LOL The course has been modified a few times (due to construction, etc.), but the majority of it has remained the same. It's crazy how much the weather can play into it, as well as state of fitness (I usually seem to have a marathon factored in there somewhere).

      Delete
  2. Your description reminds me a bit of my hometown marathon, which is in the fall. It was the first large race that I ever ran and it's dear to my heart. They recently announced this year's course, which they had to modify so that the start and end are close enough that they don't need shuttles. Basically the half follows what used to be the second half of the full, so I haven't run that area in a while. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fun to have on your schedule! Fall races are the best. I will be doing a new to me October half in New York state

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your New York race sounds fun! I want to run Detroit, someday, but I think that event always coincides with this one...and I just feel too loyal to Des Moines to NOT do this one every year.

      Delete
  4. I have quite a few favorite local races that I run every year. Only have repeated one local half.

    So great that you enjoy this race and will be able to run it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there's a great race, close by (DSM is an hour away), it's really hard to take a pass.

      Delete
  5. Wow! A half marathon AND a 5-miler. Should be an amazing weekend, Kim. I have 2 favorite races I run every year. Both are trail races and both are in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the Air Force 26.2 a month prior, I probably won't be "racing" both the 5-mile and the 13.1...but I do plan on having a lot of fun ;-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun race weekend!

    It's funny my first half marathon holds a special place in my heart too! I try to run it (or the companion 5 milers) every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to break that loyalty, isn't it! There are other races I want to run someday, but a few of them are always the same weekend.

      Delete
  7. I like the Baltimore running festival for similar reasons- it was my first half and they have so many different distances to run. Sounds like a fun weekend of events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baltimore has been on my radar (and bucket list) for awhile. I totally should have tried to make it out there when our daughter was still in Pennsylvania, but I couldn't make it work.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, the IMT is really YOUR race! Sounds like an amazing event weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you're giddy! Just thinking about this event returning after Covid year is exciting. So you're planning to run the half AND the five mile? Sounds like a nice goal to train for during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can tell the excitement for the weekend/races. I would be too. The Shamrock Shuffle and the 4 on the 4th of July are two of my favorite ones. The former was virtual again this year and I haven't heard anything about the other one. Who knows if it will happen this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should be giddy! This is so exciting! And it's about time! I hope you have a wonderful race and enjoy the wekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure do love this race! Excited to see you rock that course!

    ReplyDelete